The Bills Are Doing Things Right

Casey D

As with others on the Board, I grow weary of the hyperventilating over the coaching search. Now I read Jerry Sullivan today and he sounds like my first wife. Notiwthstanding all the whining, the Bills are trying to do exactly what most fans want in their coaching search.

First, the Bills hired a "real" GM. Is he the only guy they could have hired, who knows? Who knows if GM candidates were more interested in the Bills than hot coaching candidates given the Bills situation. But we got a real football guy, so we have to see what he does. Hopefully better than Donahoe, the big name guy we got last time.

Now, on to the coaching search. The Bills are in a hole as a team given their record over the past 10 years, the QB situation, the labor situation, the ownership uncertainty, and a city that is perpetually in an economic hole with a fourth rate stadium from a revenue perspective. OK, we are not the most desireable coaching job in 2010--what a shock. The only way to get more desireable when you've hit bottom is to get to work and change things. The Bills are doing that, and we are the only coaching job right now, which is a lucky break.

Now, the Bills have set their coaching sites very high despite their situation. Would you want them to do less? They have not been trolling at the bar at closing time looking for anyone with a pulse. Cowher, Shanahan, Gruden, Harbaugh, Leslie Frazier, Brian S., Russ G.--these are the cream of the crop in terms of what is out there. If you ask out Jessica Biel, Heidi Klum and Scarlett Johanssen and score only one date, have you failed? It's not like the Bills have been courting the Three Stooges.

Some folks want a Billick or Fassel, mostly to hire someone now so they can reduce their blood pressure. Obviously, the Bills don't want these guys--they are selective too(there, I said it). I live in Washington, and when Billick's name comes up as a possible candidate for the Bills, sports talk folks down here think it's a joke. "Good luck with that" they say. His rep down here is that he is an arrogant and difficult person whose success is mixed despite the SB ring. Not wanting him is not crazy, it's a reasonable judgment. That's why these guys are unemployed.

If the Bills end up with a guy like Frazier, and for all we know the Bills have told him he's the guy, we will have landed a top prospect as a coach. Given the Bills situation, that is a very good outcome--the best you could hope for given where this franchise is right now. The fact we don't get to tell three other pretty girls we won't date them may make us feel less special, but at the end of the day we only need one good coaching prospect. And the Bills seem intent on getting one. The rest of the media firestorm is just BS, designed to fill air time and internet pages... CD

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I think who ever does end up coaching in Buffalo will be because he WANTS to be here. I think that will show on the field.

That being said, I am still campaigning for the Bills to INTERVIEW Billick!!!

I understand, but they don't want Billick for a variety of reasons. They won't interview someone they won't hire.

Aretha Franklin said it best, "Who's zoomin' who?"

Are you kidding me? Someone thinks [insert name here] is the best? That's what we're waiting for? Someone thought Mayben was the "best" too.

The Bills have/are/will dither around until some yet-to-be-determined time then name a wanna be coach and we'll be off on another snipe hunt for several years.

Face it: NOTHING will change until there is a wholesale house cleaning...you know, like the one that should happen in

Albany, NY and Washington DC.

Aretha Franklin said it best, "Who's zoomin' who?"

Are you kidding me? Someone thinks [insert name here] is the best? That's what we're waiting for? Someone thought Mayben was the "best" too.

The Bills have/are/will dither around until some yet-to-be-determined time then name a wanna be coach and we'll be off on another snipe hunt for several years.

Face it: NOTHING will change until there is a wholesale house cleaning...you know, like the one that should happen in

Albany, NY and Washington DC.

Well that is coming with the demise of RW and the consequent move of the Bills to Toronto/LA/San Antone

As with others on the Board, I grow weary of the hyperventilating over the coaching search. Now I read Jerry Sullivan today and he sounds like my first wife. Notiwthstanding all the whining, the Bills are trying to do exactly what most fans want in their coaching search.

First, the Bills hired a "real" GM. Is he the only guy they could have hired, who knows? Who knows if GM candidates were more interested in the Bills than hot coaching candidates given the Bills situation. But we got a real football guy, so we have to see what he does. Hopefully better than Donahoe, the big name guy we got last time.

Now, on to the coaching search. The Bills are in a hole as a team given their record over the past 10 years, the QB situation, the labor situation, the ownership uncertainty, and a city that is perpetually in an economic hole with a fourth rate stadium from a revenue perspective. OK, we are not the most desireable coaching job in 2010--what a shock. The only way to get more desireable when you've hit bottom is to get to work and change things. The Bills are doing that, and we are the only coaching job right now, which is a lucky break.

Now, the Bills have set their coaching sites very high despite their situation. Would you want them to do less? They have not been trolling at the bar at closing time looking for anyone with a pulse. Cowher, Shanahan, Gruden, Harbaugh, Leslie Frazier, Brian S., Russ G.--these are the cream of the crop in terms of what is out there. If you ask out Jessica Biel, Heidi Klum and Scarlett Johanssen and score only one date, have you failed? It's not like the Bills have been courting the Three Stooges.

Some folks want a Billick or Fassel, mostly to hire someone now so they can reduce their blood pressure. Obviously, the Bills don't want these guys--they are selective too(there, I said it). I live in Washington, and when Billick's name comes up as a possible candidate for the Bills, sports talk folks down here think it's a joke. "Good luck with that" they say. His rep down here is that he is an arrogant and difficult person whose success is mixed despite the SB ring. Not wanting him is not crazy, it's a reasonable judgment. That's why these guys are unemployed.

If the Bills end up with a guy like Frazier, and for all we know the Bills have told him he's the guy, we will have landed a top prospect as a coach. Given the Bills situation, that is a very good outcome--the best you could hope for given where this franchise is right now. The fact we don't get to tell three other pretty girls we won't date them may make us feel less special, but at the end of the day we only need one good coaching prospect. And the Bills seem intent on getting one. The rest of the media firestorm is just BS, designed to fill air time and internet pages... CD

I honestly think this is one of the best (if not the best) posts concerning this entire situation. The analogy about dating all those "pretty girls" is spot on. Nice job, man, way to be a voice of reason amongst all this madness. :thumbsup:

Seriously...My blind optimism left a long time ago...To assume The Bills are doing things right nowadays is about akin to assuming our Government can handle running Health Care, the Banks and the Automobile Industry, turn a profit on all 3, and return the profit dollars back to the taxpayers...It's a MAJOR, MAJOR stretch...

I'm not crazy about Frazier as a candidate, but right now he looks like our best option...Which, to me at least, says a whole hell of a lot about how far this Organization has fallen over the past decade...It's bad...It's REAL bad and unless we have some kind of miracle happen it's not getting any better any time soon...

Hope I'm wrong though...REALLY hope I'm wrong... B-)

I honestly think this is one of the best (if not the best) posts concerning this entire situation. The analogy about dating all those "pretty girls" is spot on. Nice job, man, way to be a voice of reason amongst all this madness. B-)

+1 Pretty good post. And after seeing yesterdays game Im all aboard the Frazier train also.

well said, your outlook is much closer to the truth than Jerry Sullivans truth.

+1 Pretty good post. And after seeing yesterdays game Im all aboard the Frazier train also.

Cool! When are we getting the Williams,' Chad Greenway, and Jarret Allen?

Look...I know Frazier is a good Coach...But we've seen this Film before...Good Coordinators with superior talent don't necessarily make good HC's...Some do, some don't...If Frazier is the only one that will come to Buffalo then fine...But don't think just because he can out Coach the Cowboys at Home, with the talent he has, that it's going to result in him being a decent HC...Cause it's not...At least not necessarily...He's an NFL DB Coach that has done well with good talent and not so well with average to poor talent...We'll see if he's the next coming or the next Jauron...But yesterdays Game means zero, notta, nothing...

Just saying... B-)

....I live in Washington, and when Billick's name comes up as a possible candidate for the Bills, sports talk folks down here think it's a joke. "Good luck with that" they say. His rep down here is that he is an arrogant and difficult person whose success is mixed despite the SB ring. Not wanting him is not crazy, it's a reasonable judgment. That's why these guys are unemployed....

Baltimore Ravens fans think Billick is a joke, or Washington Redskins fans? If it's the Ravens' fans, I really don't get that. Before Billick came in, the last time the city of Baltimore celebrated a SB parade was 12 years before the Colts abandoned the city, and they abandoned the city in 1984! Folks, that makes a total of 29 years between SB wins, and the second one was with the re-named stolen Cleveland Browns, for Gods' sake! Come on, we are all Bills' fans out here. If Levy's crew could have somehow won just ONE of those 4 SB's, Marv would be forever considered a Saint in Western New York. If another team thought about hiring him at 90 freakin' years old we would have congratulated them on a wise choice! It seems that the only big problem the Browns...er...I mean Ravens had during Billick's run was QB. Well, didn't the Ravens have scouts and a GM working with Billick? Why was he blamed completely for trying to turn Boller into a real NFL starter? Why didn't Ozzie and his guys draft another QB or two to compete with poor Kyle?

Sorry, as much as I enjoyed reading your excellent take on the Bills' coaching search, I cannot see how such a pathetic, lost organization like our beloved Bills can simply ignore a coach who won a SB ring 10 years ago. Look at all the chances Marty Sr, Norv Turner, Wade Phillips & DJ got and keep getting, and those coaches have won squat! I think its' a shame the Bills have not at least invited Billick in for that interview.

When I heard that 'Harbaugh was offered and turned down' an offer to be the Bills' head coach my level of skeptisism immediately skyrockted! It's not that I have any amount of faith in the way this 'operation' is interviewing coaches but come on ... the only way you offer a job to someone is if during the interview they gave some sign of wanting the job. Could it be that some media-type doesn't want to see Frazier coming to Buffalo so he planted the idea that the Bills actually offered the job to Harbaugh?

None of us who are Bills' fans or who truly love Western NY can be happy with the state of the team or how this process is going forward. There is no doubt that some underlying issue (Ralph or the bean counters in Detroit) have dissuaded assistant coaches from even taking a peek at the opportunity.

So, if there is an issue then I ask where are the true journalists (not these sports' radio types or wannabe's) who could uncover the story.

All that being said ... I have no problem with Frazier taking over. And, I don't think the Bills are doing things right! We needed to see more of a shake-up over at the Ralph but here we are sitting back and January 15th has come and gone.

I honestly think this is one of the best (if not the best) posts concerning this entire situation. The analogy about dating all those "pretty girls" is spot on. Nice job, man, way to be a voice of reason amongst all this madness. B-)

Thanks. As for other reactions about how everything sucks and we need an entire housecleaning, well that is not going to happen. The only way for this franchise to be a top destination would be to have a first rate stadium. Buffalo--the people of Greater Buffalo-- cannot afford that, so if you are waiting for this team to be Dallas, Washington, NE or Philly is terms of being desireable, then you'll have to wait until the team moves to LA or Toronto.

This team needs to be luckier than most to have a chance to win the SB given the new economics of the NFL. We need to hit most everything right, coach, picks, etc. to have a chance. That is the nature of a franchise in Buffalo, which will only get worse if the NFL goes to a MLB revenue sharing type system... CD

I like your analogy but I'll take it a step further. The problem is if Jessica and Heidi find out that you asked Scarlett out, and she said no, they are likely to rebuff you too. They will figure if he's not good enough for her why should I date him? Fact is, the easiest time to find a new girlfriend is when you have one already. Just like in football, the best time to find a coach is when a lot of people want the job.

In the Bills situation, perception or reality (and I'm not saying I agree), it appears they are desperate. How many potential candidates already said no thanks? IMO, there is nothing wrong with the city of Buffalo or prospects for improving the team. They way the league is structured all 32 teams have pretty much the same chance of success.

The issue is with ownership, past decisions, and a reputation for interference. But even with meddling, you have that elsewhere in sports, Jones and Snyder in football, Steinbrenner in baseball, maybe Cuban in basketball. On the other hand I cannot question any of them for their commitment to winning. Can you say that about Ralph? He’s committed to winning?

I think that is the main concern for potential head coaches. The owners lack of commitment, real or perceived, to winning and how that impacts the job. Not money, not organization. No high profile candidate with a drive to advance is going to take a chance on a head coaching job that will make them look like a failure and stifle their career.