PFW audibles (always my favorite feature there)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/1...ks-hire-carroll

• "How does an NFL franchise and a billion-dollar business turn over the keys to a retired 70-year-old man (like the Bills did with GM Buddy Nix)? Didn't they already try that approach with Marv (Levy)? You better have people in charge that will work hard and know how to evaluate or you have no chance."

Interesting comments re: Pete Carroll at the top too.

• "How does an NFL franchise and a billion-dollar business turn over the keys to a retired 70-year-old man (like the Bills did with GM Buddy Nix)? Didn't they already try that approach with Marv (Levy)? You better have people in charge that will work hard and know how to evaluate or you have no chance."

I hate anonymous quotes. From a journalistic perspective, they severly undermine the credibility of the author or outlet. In the days of the internet, too much is posted on sites who's mere presence is supposed to be a replacement for credibility. Oh, Mike Florio has a website, he's credible. Nope. And places like PFW and PFT make a living off of smack that is floated by someone anonymous source. These sites are the equal of the Enquirer, they're a joke.

And the incentive is all wrong. Who's to say that these anonymous quotes are actually real. No one would ever put out a salacious quote to drum up internet hits in an attempt to drive up advertising costs right.

If this quote is real, it's some young, angry front office desk jockey pissed beacuse the posiiton didn't go to him or someone his age.

There is one valid issue here.... an old guy like RW isn't likely going to take any **** from some 40-year old who is more than half his age. He likely seems them as younger than his own kids and therefore questions them as professionals. You see if in offices all the time, someone younger and more talented comes in and out works everyone but the promotion goes to someone the 70-tear-old manager has worked with forever, despite the guys shortcomings.

Anyone who is willing to stick up for RW at this point, which is track record, is making an emotional and irrational judgement. Look at him, he;s team, his coaches and managers, and ask yourself where the track record of success is. And if for one second you think he's doing whatever he can to keep this team here, you're delusional. When he's no longer in control, this team is no longer here, not because it should move, but becuase he wanted to do things his selfish way, which was not to ensure the lonterm viability of this team in WNY but to be stubborn and maintain control to the bitter end.

Those still clinging to Ralph as some Robin Hood delivering an NFL franchise to Buffalo will know the true commitment to Buffalo when's he's gone and hopefully will then honestly re-assess your vision of who he was. He was a guy who had a county build him a stadium, fund it's improvements and pay him money every year to ensure he could turn a $25,000 investment into a $900M gain off the backs of WNYers, only put his boot on the loyal necks of WNYers when he passes by not making sure this team goes nowhere.

We have a stadium lease up in 2012. We have an owner who is 91 (I think that's his age) and controls the whole team. We know of no exit plan other than selling the team to the highest bidder.

So tell me, who's confident the Bills 2013 home opener is at the corner of Southwestern and Abbott?

PFW is still around? Wow.

In any case, Marv had little experience in evaluating players, and was largely a figurehead. Nix has been a scout for most of his life and was an assistant GM with the Chargers, and largely responsible for their (very successful) drafts.

And by several accounts Buddy Nix is a top 5 talent evaluator, so the entire point of that quote it moot...

Nix may have good experience as a talent evaluator and scout, but he has no experience in conducting a search for a head coach, and it is showing. He has never been a GM, and for a team that needs rebuilding and some fresh air, the hiring of a 70 year old guy that RW was comforatble with was not the answer. Mabye hiring a 70 year old guy as GM would have made more sense if he had a lot of prior GM experience. The front office needed to be reinvigorated, and a new GM with an outside perspective was needed.

I am hoping for the best with Nix, but it smacks of a temporary solution, similar to the Levy hire as GM. I am really not trying to be overly negative, particularly since I recognize that Nix has had success as a talent evaluator for the draft, but I don't think his hire as GM made much long term sense.

The journalistic integrity in sports reporting these days is awful. However, ESPN is no better than PFT. I don't think any of these reporters have actual sources anymore. They just quote other reporters who are sourcing yet another reporter. It's a giant circle jerk.

Nix may have good experience as a talent evaluator and scout, but he has no experience in conducting a search for a head coach, and it is showing. He has never been a GM, and for a team that needs rebuilding and some fresh air, the hiring of a 70 year old guy that RW was comforatble with was not the answer. Mabye hiring a 70 year old guy as GM would have made more sense if he had a lot of prior GM experience. The front office needed to be reinvigorated, and a new GM with an outside perspective was needed.

I am hoping for the best with Nix, but it smacks of a temporary solution, similar to the Levy hire as GM. I am really not trying to be overly negative, particularly since I recognize that Nix has had success as a talent evaluator for the draft, but I don't think his hire as GM made much long term sense.

Sigh. It's quite apparent that people don't/refuse/cannot read what has been written over, and over, and over again. :rolleyes:

He was Assistant GM with the Chargers for several years and is credited with helping them turn the team around, so while he hasn't held the title "GM" it's not like he has no experience. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Nix

Nix may have good experience as a talent evaluator and scout, but he has no experience in conducting a search for a head coach, and it is showing.

And you know this accusation to be fact how? Las time I checked, Nix was an assistant GM while the Chargers interviewed coaches. I find it hard to believe AJ kept him out of the loop. The problems with the head coaching search do not lie at Nix's feet. I seem to recall our owner having a reputation around the league that has turned people off.

I doubt that Nix had significant involvement with the coaching searches, but who knows. I have read that he was mostly involved with college talent evaluation and not in San Diego much. Having said that, the comment was probably not fair. There are many reasons why there is a lack of interest in the head coaching job, and the way Nix is conducting the search is probably not one of them (although his hire may not have helped the level of interest).

Bottom line is that I am frustrated with the direction of the team and the front office, and have been for a long time.

He was Assistant GM with the Chargers for several years and is credited with helping them turn the team around, so while he hasn't held the title "GM" it's not like he has no experience. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Nix

so if Buddy is such a stud Gm trusted by Ralph, why has Ralph torpedoed Buddy's personal recommendation to hire Marty?

I doubt that Nix had significant involvement with the coaching searches, but who knows. I have read that he was mostly involved with college talent evaluation and not in San Diego much. Having said that, the comment was probably not fair. There are many reasons why there is a lack of interest in the head coaching job, and the way Nix is conducting the search is probably not one of them (although his hire may not have helped the level of interest).

Bottom line is that I am frustrated with the direction of the team and the front office, and have been for a long time.

While working for SD from 01-08, Nix worked out of his home in Tennessee and did not interface with other team personnel with day to day operations.

A GM needs to manage all personnel, both pro and college along with overseeing the cap, negotiating contracts, hiring the HC, and managing other numerous day to day operations. Nix didn't do a lot of that.

It also appears as though he doesn't have the authority to fire people like Modrak, Guy, and Overdorf who need to go.

so if Buddy is such a stud Gm trusted by Ralph, why has Ralph torpedoed Buddy's personal recommendation to hire Marty?

When did Buddy say that? Where did this report come from? I cant' blame you for not having an source. Most of the journalist's don't seem to use them anymore.