Russ Brandon - Is he the problem with our HC search?

Buddy Nix is respected throughout the league, but are candidates being turned off because Russ Brandon is being retained at a high level after serving as GM and seems to have the ear of Ralph?

Are they concerned that they will not truely have the ability to build the team as they see best, too little money to spend on retaining or obtaining talent, or are folks just concerned that the succession of the organization has not been worked out?

I am not one for panicking and although I liked the name and family tree of Schotty Jr. the fact that they came out throwing against our defense did nothing to impress me in regards to his offensive prowess.

Buddy will get a good HC prospect in, but if it isn't a big name I don't think that it will soothe the troubled masses until we see that individual make some good moves for the team and prove he knows what he is doing.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy Nix is respected throughout the league, but are candidates being turned off because Russ Brandon is being retained at a high level after serving as GM and seems to have the ear of Ralph?

Are they concerned that they will not truely have the ability to build the team as they see best, too little money to spend on retaining or obtaining talent, or are folks just concerned that the succession of the organization has not been worked out?

I am not one for panicking and although I liked the name and family tree of Schotty Jr. the fact that they came out throwing against our defense did nothing to impress me in regards to his offensive prowess.

Buddy will get a good HC prospect in, but if it isn't a big name I don't think that it will soothe the troubled masses until we see that individual make some good moves for the team and prove he knows what he is doing.

The problem is RALPH WILSON! Jesus man get it already. He should have cleaned house in the front office as well, then went out of the org and hired someone the coaching world and media respect as a GM. NOT promoted from within AGAIN going with a guy 'he knew'.

When ralph dies, THEN this team has a shot at being something

I can understand a guy like Cowher wanting to hand pick the perfect opportunity, but these coordinators are ridiculous. Personally, i have thrived when i joined a new company and the person i replaced was doing a really poor job (or the dept was doing poorly). Anything i did better....or above and beyond i was considered a great hire.

It's kind of like when Parcells went to Miami after a 1-15 season. He cemented his legacy in part because the Phins were at rock bottom. He knew it would not be hard to improve on that.

Also, look at Turner Gill when he came to UB. They were the dregs of D-1 football. The job was almost a no lose situation because even if he won 4 games his first year, he was awesome. Win 7 or 8 games at UB and he's a Hero. NOw look at him?

The Bills are sitting in that "can't lose" type of situation for any competent coach out there. Add to the fact Ralph and Brandon are surely going to do some spending to get this team to the next level. They have seen the status quo and it hasn't worked. I believe they've learned. These potential coaches really need to see this as a great opportunity to get in when the chips are down and make a big name for themselves. All the ingredients are there.

I can understand a guy like Cowher wanting to hand pick the perfect opportunity, but these coordinators are ridiculous. Personally, i have thrived when i joined a new company and the person i replaced was doing a really poor job (or the dept was doing poorly). Anything i did better....or above and beyond i was considered a great hire.

It's kind of like when Parcells went to Miami after a 1-15 season. He cemented his legacy in part because the Phins were at rock bottom. He knew it would not be hard to improve on that.

Also, look at Turner Gill when he came to UB. They were the dregs of D-1 football. The job was almost a no lose situation because even if he won 4 games his first year, he was awesome. Win 7 or 8 games at UB and he's a Hero. NOw look at him?

The Bills are sitting in that "can't lose" type of situation for any competent coach out there. Add to the fact Ralph and Brandon are surely going to do some spending to get this team to the next level. They have seen the status quo and it hasn't worked. I believe they've learned. These potential coaches really need to see this as a great opportunity to get in when the chips are down and make a big name for themselves. All the ingredients are there.

Nice post, and i agree. If i was an OC i would surely get in their and try to work my magic and start building something IFF and thats a big IF the salary cap was staying in place.

But i think where the worry come in is about the next few years. If the salary cap goes away teams like Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit will not be able to compete with the big spenders which means less pick of players, and a less quality product.

I for one would not want to be thrown into a situation where it was guaranteed i would be losing out on players and eventually a staff and then games. To be put somewhere where you had almost no chance to win really plays into effect.

All things being equal you're right, but the fact is that we have less information than the league insiders here. Schotty got advice from one or more people to avoid the opportunity, and I'm sure he also got assurances that better opportunities would open to him if he sits tight. Agents like Bob Lamonte are steering their clients away from Buffalo and there is a reason. And the same thing is gonna happen with free agents this offseason - just wait for that shoe to drop.

The problem is RALPH WILSON! Jesus man get it already. He should have cleaned house in the front office as well, then went out of the org and hired someone the coaching world and media respect as a GM. NOT promoted from within AGAIN going with a guy 'he knew'.

When ralph dies, THEN this team has a shot at being something

Guess I am not as quick as you :thumbsup:

Allowing for intervening mistakes made in the past, Ralph is like 200 years old and a multi-millionaire. If anything, folks that reach a ripe old age are more concerned with the legacy they will leave behind rather than obtaining more material things.

That being said, I would not be so naive as to think that I know what motivates Ralph in particular. Dick said he could correct things and Ralph gave him free reign even though the signs of disaster were evident to even the most casual observers. It was not until another crotchety old rival from the NFL owner's Country Club gave him the finger that he actually cared enough to blow the mess up.

We could have an ultra-competitive, willing to spend up the hilt kind of owner like Snyder in DC, but that really does not translate into victories on the field.

All things being equal you're right, but the fact is that we have less information than the league insiders here. Schotty got advice from one or more people to avoid the opportunity, and I'm sure he also got assurances that better opportunities would open to him if he sits tight. Agents like Bob Lamonte are steering their clients away from Buffalo and there is a reason. And the same thing is gonna happen with free agents this offseason - just wait for that shoe to drop.

I think both Schotty Junior and Cowher are waiting to see what happens in Dallas.

No

Remarkable insight... as usual. :thumbsup:

I get the played-out Mantra of all will be better when Ralph dies from ICE, and an unsubstantiated "No" from you.

I was actually hoping to get a response from someone who has some small insight into the Bills organization - then again, who isn't?

As a objective long time Bills fan I hate to say it but there is way more downside than upside to this job. It's been posted before but...

91-year-old owner, with no public transition plan

history of running out quality players

7 home games

no franchise QB

I could go on...

Who is Russ Brandon??? Its a name I hear often in relation to the Bills. I get the impression he is in a pretty important position, yet I don't ever remember hearing him speak at an important announcement by the Bills. I tend to believe he is some sort of "shadow" figure created by the organization as there seems to be no real evidence of his existence.

The Bills are sitting in that "can't lose" type of situation for any competent coach out there.

Not sure that's true. I think it's always a little bit harder to get a job if you're perceived to have failed at the job previously. There's merit to being selective about job opportunities, I think. In the end, hopefully it works out best for both the Bills and Schotty II.

The buffalo job is a resume killer, plain and simple.

Bull ****. Pure and absolute homeristic bull ****.

Whew. That is an interesting perspective on the current Bills situation. !@#$ the glass being half full, that som'B word is overflowing :thumbsup: