B Schottenheimer declines interview

FluffHead

A former small college coach who once played the game? Gotta say, that's not reaching very high. Perry Fewell has at least 7 games of NFL head coaching experience, and showed he could go 3-4 to finish the year for a terrible Buffalo football team. He would be able to put together a staff quickly, knows the area, wants the job, and showed that he would implement the hard-nosed style of football that Bills fans have been longing for seemingly forever.

I see Fewell as the better pick.

Frazier is the coordinator for a team run by an offensive coach, which means he runs the show. Fewell coordinated for Jauron, which means he ran Jauron's defense.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frazier is the coordinator for a team run by an offensive coach, which means he runs the show. Fewell coordinated for Jauron, which means he ran Jauron's defense.

I view them both as second rate. Why would anyone think that either of them are something other than bargain basement candidates?

That's some pretty thin logic to suggest Fewell was just a figurehead because Dick was really secretly running the defense. When Dick was canned Fewell seemed to somehow be able to run the defense without him, and for some reason Chicago wants him to run there defense...or is that also a canard because Lovie Smith is an ex-defensive coach.

Oh, and we also know that because Parcells was a defensive guy, Belichik was just a figurehead defensive coordinator for the Giants.

On the point about Nix, personally I wonder if the Bills didn't bring him at the beginning of this past season with the expectation of elevating him to GM. It gives RW the chance to see if he fit his idea of GM without giving him the title upfront. It also would explain why Guy was the only other candidate interviewed (Rooney Rule).

Nope. Nix stated at his PC that it was a "whirlwind" thing that happened in the last week or so of 2009. This organization doesn't think strategically, unless it's Russ' boys in marketing trying to figure our how to sell a bad team.

Years ago, Browns assistant Weeb Ewbank accepted the Colts HC job, despite Paul Brown being against it. Don't think for a moment that an assistant wants to remain as such when presented with an opportunity to be a HC. Schottenheimer turned down the Bills won't be the last assistant to do so.

the exact opposite of what that poster was getting at. you think Cottrell was just a figure head an Wade was running our D?

Absolutely. TC was lucky to have coached under Wade, who is a defensive mastermind. TC was his linebacker assistant coach, who had very limited success on his own.

i came in here to ask the same thing. i have to imagine this is more along the lines of wanting to keep himself and his players focused on the task at hand. i hope so at least.

to answer your last question, i think you know better than to expect patience and rational from this board. :thumbdown:

Unfortunately we cant seem to get an answer, however on Rome is Burning Rome just claimed that Brian declined the offer to become the bills next head coach.

I need to take a break and go away for a month trying to make head or tail of what the freak is going on is impossible. What concerns me are messages that we know the direction we are going yet we do not see any movement so one has to surmise we are chasing people currently employed by playoff teams

I mentioned this a few days ago, it is absolutely crazy to me how many people have blatantly turned down the opportunity to coach for the Bills. A few posters rejected my opinion and said that until the playoffs are over, there is no way to tell who is and who is not interested.

Well, THIS rejection shows that B. Schott isn't interested now or after the Jets lose to the Chargers. And, its true, IMO he isn't even one of the top OC's in the league. He has a big name, the best O-line in football, 3 top RBs and Braylon Edwards. And they still lost to the Bills.

I also stated in the past that in reality, the opportunity to coach the Bills should seem more palpable to potential coaches.

But the perception around the league is that it is a terrible franchise to work for. A place where careers go to die. Ralph's chickens are finally coming home to roost.

Unfortunately...too true... :thumbdown:

Unfortunately...too true... :thumbdown:

Word gets around in the NFL coaching community. There is no doubt in my mind that potential candidates have talked to Wade, Gregg, Mularkey, Jauron, etc. and know what the inner circle is all about.

Why was Jauron fired mid-season? Why did Mularkey quit? Why did Gregg coach out his contract and walk away? Why was Wade fired? Coaches talk. They know. Like the Raiders, the coaching fraternity understands the situation.

Word gets around in the NFL coaching community. There is no doubt in my mind that potential candidates have talked to Wade, Gregg, Mularkey, Jauron, etc. and know what the inner circle is all about.

Why was Jauron fired mid-season? Why did Mularkey quit? Why did Gregg coach out his contract and walk away? Why was Wade fired? Coaches talk. They know. Like the Raiders, the coaching fraternity understands the situation.

Why was Jauron fired mid- season?

OK dude...

Step away from the crack pipe...

duh.....

That's some pretty thin logic to suggest Fewell was just a figurehead because Dick was really secretly running the defense. When Dick was canned Fewell seemed to somehow be able to run the defense without him, and for some reason Chicago wants him to run there defense...or is that also a canard because Lovie Smith is an ex-defensive coach.

Oh, and we also know that because Parcells was a defensive guy, Belichik was just a figurehead defensive coordinator for the Giants.

If you don't think that defense was custom built and run by Jauron, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd be happy to sell you. I actually have nothing against Fewell, and I certainly don't think he's a joke. But let's face it -- he coached the team to a 2-4 record (the same percentage wise as Jauron's 3-6 record). He was hardly an improvement. And no, he doesn't get credit for beating the Colts' backups in a blizzard. Both you and I know that if the game mattered, the Colts would have blown them out.

If you don't think that defense was custom built and run by Jauron, there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd be happy to sell you. I actually have nothing against Fewell, and I certainly don't think he's a joke. But let's face it -- he coached the team to a 2-4 record (the same percentage wise as Jauron's 3-6 record). He was hardly an improvement. And no, he doesn't get credit for beating the Colts' backups in a blizzard. Both you and I know that if the game mattered, the Colts would have blown them out.

Well at least he COULD be a team's back ups unlike a certain past coach....just sayin'

Interestingly, the Steelers' backups who made plays late - James Harrison, Willie Parker - turned out to be damn good players. I didn't see anything like that on the Colts.

Good point, the only thing I'd say in response is Mularkey had a team with the motivation for a playoff birth and still lost whereas Fewell had nothing and won. It doesn't matter though we still suck either way :thumbdown: