Tebow looks like a NFL QB tonight

Chuckknox

I am more convinced than ever that he is not an NFL QB after watching that game. The guy stares a whole through his receivers right from the snap and his release is as slow as molasses. More often than not he throws a flutter ball that in the winter winds of the Ralph will get blown around like lake effect snow. He will get eaten alive in the big leagues.

Again, I don't follow college ball, but from reading your post and several others like it, I'd think Tebow had a terrible game yesterday. But the reality is that he put up 482 in the air with a grand total of 533 yards (more than anyone in the history of the Bowl Championship Series). Oh, and he had four TDs. I just don't get how someone so slow and limp armed ends up winning the Sugar Bowl with those type of stats.

I am not arguing here, just trying to understand.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B.S. MANY NFL QB's including Trent would rather spend the offseason working on their golf game than their football game. Tebow has a PASSION for FOOTBALL that Trent does not have & many others do not have. He also has a great work ethic so he will work on his flaws & get better. Even Jimmy Johnson & Brian Billick had to admit that Tebow is a GREAT College QB so he is not just the product of a great team. He will be remembered as one of the greatest College players EVER.

Where does that shot at Trent come from? Last offseason he worked he worked with Drew Brees.

History is absolutely littered with college QB's with great numbers, championships, awards, etc., who were colossal flops in the NFL. Tebow is simply the latest version of that.

OK Mickey name me all the other college QB's that won a Heisman, 2 National Championships, 3 Conference Championships ( The TOUGHEST conference in the nation by the way) Outstanding player of the game in his final bowl game that were colossal flops.

How many QB's come out of College with NO flaws? What will seperate Tebow from the others is his work ethic & the fact he has a passion for the game unlike some who would rather spend the offseason playing golf.
Oh please, Trent worked his butt off and so did JP, work ethic alone won't get it done. Kelly spent more time enjoying life than he ever did drilling on mechanics or studying film. This team simply can't afford to gamble their high picks away on a player like Tebow. Every pick is a gamble but this guy more so than a number of other QB's we might have a shot of taking. Tebow is the Gerry McNamara of football. So many reasons to love the guy but the reality is that he is a highy questionable NFL prospect.

I hope the Patsies* pick him late in the 1st round.

They've got the time and wherewithal to develop him in their wildcat and as a Slash.

It'll be great for some here to have him to hate as the face of the Cheaters for their post-brady decade of excellence.

OK Mickey name me all the other college QB's that won a Heisman, 2 National Championships, 3 Conference Championships ( The TOUGHEST conference in the nation by the way) Outstanding player of the game in his final bowl game that were colossal flops.

While I get the point you are trying to make, Florida only won 2 SEC championships with Tebow on the team.

And to play devils advocate, I could argue Tebow wasn't the starting QB for the first one of the NC and the SECC.

Oh please, Trent worked his butt off and so did JP, work ethic alone won't get it done. Kelly spent more time enjoying life than he ever did drilling on mechanics or studying film. This team simply can't afford to gamble their high picks away on a player like Tebow. Every pick is a gamble but this guy more so than a number of other QB's we might have a shot of taking. Tebow is the Gerry McNamara of football. So many reasons to love the guy but the reality is that he is a highy questionable NFL prospect.

I am not saying the Bills should draft him & he does have question marks BUT to just write him off is CRAZY. I don't think you will show me too many QB's that have won the awards Tebow did in college & put up the numbers he did PERIOD.

Of all the quarterbacks that I have seen this bowl season, I like Mike Kafka out of Northwestern. Quick release, can read a D. Doesn't have good receivers yet seems to do his best with limited talent. He has a rocket of an arm and can move in the pocket and is tough. Not sure if he is a senior, but he would be my first choice right now.

Of all the quarterbacks that I have seen this bowl season, I like Mike Kafka out of Northwestern. Quick release, can read a D. Doesn't have good receivers yet seems to do his best with limited talent. He has a rocket of an arm and can move in the pocket and is tough. Not sure if he is a senior, but he would be my first choice right now.

+1

Just say no to Tebow. He's like a Flutie on steroids.

I like Tebow. I would not bet against this guy making it in the NFL.

I want to bring up a point nobody has mentioned. I think Florida has nice DB's , The Bearcats and Pike could do nothing against them.

Now Tebow had to practice vs that D right??

All I saying is he is interesting prospect. Think the Jags will get him because they need those tickets sold.

Even if he is nothing more than a backup in the NFL its better than not being in the NFL at all....

Virtually all those guys won national championships and were flops, they all won Heisman's and were flops. Besides, thats a ridiculous question any way. I could just as easily justify drafting anyone named "Montana" by asking, can you name me an NFL QB named "Montana" that hasn't made it to the hall of fame? Winning the heisman especially is just about the worst justification you could give for drafting a guy in the first round.

Tell me how many heisman's Jim Kelly won? How many national championships did Marino win? Winning those is no more proof of NFL success than not winning them is proof that a player won't make it in the pros. Kelly and Marino didn't have the college resume that Tebow has but they had some things that he doesn't. Like an NFL caliber arm.

I know it would be a great lollipops and unicorns story for Tebow to go on to greater success, no one likes to see a great story end. But that is what the NFL is for a lot of players save a lucky few, where their dreams come to an end.

I am not saying the Bills should draft him & he does have question marks BUT to just write him off is CRAZY. I don't think you will show me too many QB's that have won the awards Tebow did in college & put up the numbers he did PERIOD.

I've watched just about every game in Tebow's college career, and I agree with this sentiment.

The kid is special, he's a leader, a character guy, and a winner. Yes, he played for some outstanding teams. Yes, his teams outclassed the competition more often than not. Still, I believe he is among the greatest college football players of the modern era.

Is he NFL QB? Not sure, and the Bills desparately need one, which is why I don't think the Bills could afford to use their top pick on Tebow. But after that .... different story .... if I'm prone to gamble a little (and most draft picks are a bit of a gamble anyway), he's the type of player that has a huge upside potential and I think he deserves a serious look. I do think he's the kind of player that can contribute in some aspect - tangible or intangible - quickly, if not at the QB position.

I also have a sneaky suspicion that the Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas contingent, whose presence is evidently increasing in some respect, have their eye on Tebow as well.

While I get the point you are trying to make, Florida only won 2 SEC championships with Tebow on the team.

And to play devils advocate, I could argue Tebow wasn't the starting QB for the first one of the NC and the SECC.

My mistake he only won the SEC East 3 times. You could argue that but I could counter with the fact that as a true freshman he saw a lot of playing time.

Watch him wind up before he throws. Major talent all around him. He has bust written all over him. Quit being so impressed by quarterbacks surrounded by great talent. It will almost always fool you

How many great college QB's came from teams with no talent around them? How would you know?

College football history is littered with guys who won championships and Heismans and who were NFL flops.

Take Danny Wuerffel:

Wuerffel attended the University of Florida. One of the most decorated players in Florida's football history, Wuerffel won the 1996 Heisman Trophy while quarterbacking the Gators to the consensus national championship with help from teammates Fred Taylor at running back, Reidel Anthony, Ike Hilliard and Jacquez Green at receiver and Jeff Mitchell on the offensive line. He led the Florida Gators to four consecutive Southeastern Conference titles between 1993 and 1996, and the 1996 National Championship, won in decisive fashion (52-20) over archrival Florida State University at the 1997 Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, Louisiana. He is the only Heisman Trophy recipient to receive the Draddy, which is presented by the National Football Foundation and the College Football Hall of Fame to the nation’s top football scholar-athlete.

Wuerffel was a First-team All-America selection in 1995 and 1996 and two-time recipient of the Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's top college quarterback both of those seasons. Also awarded the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award award as the nation's top senior quarterback. In 1995 he also was awarded the Sammy Baugh Trophy, emblematic of the nation's top collegiate passer. Also in 1996 he was named the NCAA QB of the Year but the Touchdown Club of Columbus.[1]. He was named to the Gainesville Sun’s UF Team of the Century in 1999 and was chosen the century’s top Gator offensive player by that publication. Also a member of the Florida Gator's 100th Anniversary Team, which was chosen in 2006.

He finished his Gator career by completing 708 of 1,170 passes for 10,875 yards with 114 touchdown passes, the best in SEC history and second-most in major college history. His career pass efficiency rating of 163.56 was the best in major college history and his percentage of passes which went for a touchdown (9.74) ranked first in collegiate history. In 1995, his efficiency rating of 178.4 set a single-season collegiate record. During his Heisman-winning season of 1996, he completed 207 of 360 passes for 3,625 yards (an SEC record at the time) for 39 touchdowns (leading the nation) and his efficiency rating of 170.6 made him the first quarterback to ever post a rating of 170 or better in back-to-back years.

No, the achievments are not exactly the same but close enough. The point being that a guy can have a great, great, unbelievably great college career and not have a ghost of a chance to make it in the NFL. I wouldn't write the guy off by any means but I sure as hell wouldn't make him the keystone of a rebuilding project either.

He makes his reads very fast and shows great touch on his passes. The long pass looked perfect as well. He's not going to make it out of the first round.

He never looks like he is scared in any game, no matter what happens he looks like he is battling.

He would be a good risk with some good upside.

On the other side, anyone think that Pike looks any better than Brohm (i.e., drafting him would not get you anything that's better than what you have).

:bag:

Christian Laettner is arguably the best college basketball player of all time. National championships, final fours, MVP's, greatest shot in college history. He was a servicable pro.

The leap from college to pro may be bigger than from high school to college. Every year, there are a couple of "winner" QB's that everyone is convinced will be able to transition to the pros. Do you remember how good Eric Couch was in college? I hope Tebow is successful but history says no about weaker armed, running style great college QB's. Especially those surrounded with All America talent.

Virtually all those guys won national championships and were flops, they all won Heisman's and were flops. Besides, thats a ridiculous question any way. I could just as easily justify drafting anyone named "Montana" by asking, can you name me an NFL QB named "Montana" that hasn't made it to the hall of fame? Winning the heisman especially is just about the worst justification you could give for drafting a guy in the first round.

Tell me how many heisman's Jim Kelly won? How many national championships did Marino win? Winning those is no more proof of NFL success than not winning them is proof that a player won't make it in the pros. Kelly and Marino didn't have the college resume that Tebow has but they had some things that he doesn't. Like an NFL caliber arm.

I know it would be a great lollipops and unicorns story for Tebow to go on to greater success, no one likes to see a great story end. But that is what the NFL is for a lot of players save a lucky few, where their dreams come to an end.

Yes there have been Heisman winners that were flops in the NFL & NOT just at the QB position. FEW College QB's have won the amount of awards Tebow has won while setting records that will stand for a long time like 20 passing TD's & 20 rushing TD's in the same year. To just dismiss one of the GREATEST college players EVER & call him a bust before he is drafted is just STUPID.

Again, I don't follow college ball, but from reading your post and several others like it, I'd think Tebow had a terrible game yesterday. But the reality is that he put up 482 in the air with a grand total of 533 yards (more than anyone in the history of the Bowl Championship Series). Oh, and he had four TDs. I just don't get how someone so slow and limp armed ends up winning the Sugar Bowl with those type of stats.

Strange. I thought the Outback Bowl was a BCS bowl. If so, than Northwestern's Kafka should get props for shattering the yardage record.

Kafka's stats: Outback Bowl Box Score

Passing - 47 of 78 for 532 yards, 4 TD, 5 INT

Rushing - 20 for 34 yards, 1 TD

532 + 34 = 566 yards

566 > 533

The only thing I can figure is the Outback went into overtime, and they do not count yardage gained during the OT.

Otherwise, WTF?

College football history is littered with guys who won championships and Heismans and who were NFL flops.

Take Danny Wuerffel ..... the point being that a guy can have a great, great, unbelievably great college career and not have a ghost of a chance to make it in the NFL. I wouldn't write the guy off by any means but I sure as hell wouldn't make him the keystone of a rebuilding project either.

Obviously there are specific examples that will illustrate any premise - great college players who busted in the NFL, great college players who were stars in the NFL, great NFL players who were largely invisible in college, etc. The question isn't whether we'd want Tebow - there isn't a GM in the league who wouldn't want to bring him in for a try - it's a question of acceptable price/risk in terms of draft position.

As to Wuerffel in particular, there was substantial consensus that his college success under Spurrier <cue angel harp music for Gator fans> wouldn't translate, which is why he wasn't selected until a later round.

Tebow will likely not last 98 picks. :bag:

Yes there have been Heisman winners that were flops in the NFL & NOT just at the QB position. FEW College QB's have won the amount of awards Tebow has won while setting records that will stand for a long time like 20 passing TD's & 20 rushing TD's in the same year. To just dismiss one of the GREATEST college players EVER & call him a bust before he is drafted is just STUPID.

sorry, not impressed by a guy who puts up huge numbers against the likes of SW Georgia school for the blind. Ans don't give me that "SEC is great" crap. The SEC was bad this year. UF played 1 good team this year and got their asses stomped by 'Bama.

What's wrong with Flutie? I'd happily take a larger version of Doug.

As long as he doesn't bring Doug Flutie's attitude, I'd be happy with it as well.

The truth is, I'm pretty sure that I like Tebow better than any other senior QB in this draft. Is he perfect? No. Would I draft him at 8 or whatever? Certainly not. On the other hand, the SOB can play football. Its a little ugly sometimes, but he gets the job done and although there are some serious flaws in his game and he's going to be a project, he's not without talent and one thing I do know is that if he fails, it won't be for lack of effort. I'll certainly take that over the million dollar arm, ten cent brain types that they usually bring in and speaking for myself, I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever taking a chance on the guy in round 3 and perhaps even in R2.

As long as he doesn't bring Doug Flutie's attitude, I'd be happy with it as well.

The truth is, I'm pretty sure that I like Tebow better than any other senior QB in this draft. Is he perfect? No. Would I draft him at 8 or whatever? Certainly not. On the other hand, the SOB can play football. Its a little ugly sometimes, but he gets the job done and although there are some serious flaws in his game and he's going to be a project, he's not without talent and one thing I do know is that if he fails, it won't be for lack of effort. I'll certainly take that over the million dollar arm, ten cent brain types that they usually bring in and speaking for myself, I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever taking a chance on the guy in round 3 and perhaps even in R2.

Well said. Also highly unlikely that the kid would be suspended by the league, a training camp holdout, etc.

You know one thing that makes me really scratch my chin is Kelley recommending Tebow so highly. Say what you want about Kelley, criticize the hell out of him and dump on him, but hey, if you think he doesn't know good QB'ing when he sees it you're not thinking straight. HOF QB and all that stuff, huh!!!

Anyway, he says the Bills should grab Tebow, he loves the Bills, so that really makes you think!!

did some just argue that there have been no flops in the nfl that were highly successful and decorated college players.....really? I am not taking sides or anything, but come on. There have been plenty. And my worry about him coming here is that he does seem like someone that could be great if developed right. But since when have we developed quarterbacks right? Do you guys really want that?

he was playing the cincinatti bearcats, not the cincinatti bengals...look at the type of recruits on that team...few of those guys are going to the NFL, while UF has probably a dozen starters who are goign to wind up getting drafted

i dont get how/why people want to take the stance that he is DEFINITELY going to fail. none of us can predict the future.

lets face it, Tim Tebow is an incredibly driven, determined and dedicated athlete. the ONLY real knock on him is his mechanics, which can be coached. there isnt ONE QB who is projected to be able to come right in and play from this draft. theyre ALL projects and just as likely to fail as any other. the one thing Tebow showed that the others havent is an "above the game" will to win. he's already a leader of men and has the confidence and poise to command a unit down the field. the other Qb prospects remind me more of boys getting ready for their first job interview.

frankly, it doesnt matter what history says as far as how many successful college QBs made it in the NFL. everyone's story is different and unique. and whether he ends up successful or not can depend on the team and situation he ends up in.

i think people want to hate on this kid just because he gets so much love in the media. but he's done everything correctly to earn that attention, so the hating is just jealousy. does he have a lot of work ahead of him? for sure. am i confident that he will take that challenge head on? most definitely

he was playing the cincinatti bearcats, not the cincinatti bengals...look at the type of recruits on that team...few of those guys are going to the NFL, while UF has probably a dozen starters who are goign to wind up getting drafted

are you saying that the Bearcats program is in a totally different class and doesnt deserve to be taken seriously when put up against teams like Florida???

doesnt that directly contradict everyone's argument for getting rid of the bowls and going to a playoff system???

or is this just a case of looking for a reason to dismiss the kid even though he put up a record breaking performance in a huge game???

which one is it? lesser programs like Cinci, TCU, Boise St arent nearly on the same level as the others and this game proved the demand for a playoff system isnt necessary? or Tebow actually played a really good game?

I agree. Tebow is horrible against defenses that have actual NFL prospects on them (Alabama). Meanwhile, anyone Tebow has to face must contend with 1st round picks. Joe Haden, Brandon Spikes, and Carlos Dunlap will all be top 25 picks this year. Joe Haden will be a top 5 pick.

Tebow's scouting report is not that great.

And Scribo that was against a 3-4, that he'd never seen up to this point (at least not a true 3-4; many team utilize the 3-3-5)

Brian Billick is breaking down Tim Tebow about as expert as can be. You couldn't get better insight on the guy that you are now. From his system, to his mechanics, to his head. GREAT analysis from Billick. Doesn't bode well for Tebow.

Yes, because Billick was known throughout the league for his keen eye for QB talent (Grbac, Tony Banks, and his greatest find--Kyle Boller).

Anyway....

When people are saying Tebow has problems with accuracy, exactly what are they judging him on? He has thrown for over 80 TDs in 3 seasons and has a career completion rate of 66%. Where's the inaccuracy hidden in there?

My favorite comment is "Quit being so impressed by quarterbacks surrounded by great talent." You're right--Peyton Manning, Brees and Warner have "bust written all over them".

aye, aye, aye.

Anyway--take a look at the great talent surrounding Tebow: not one WR in the top 50, not a RB in the top 50.

Yes, because Billick was known throughout the league for his keen eye for QB talent (Grbac, Tony Banks, and his greatest find--Kyle Boller).

Anyway....

When people are saying Tebow has problems with accuracy, exactly what are they judging him on? He has thrown for over 80 TDs in 3 seasons and has a career completion rate of 66%. Where's the inaccuracy hidden in there?

My favorite comment is "Quit being so impressed by quarterbacks surrounded by great talent." You're right--Peyton Manning, Brees and Warner have "bust written all over them".

aye, aye, aye.

Anyway--take a look at the great talent surrounding Tebow: not one WR in the top 50, not a RB in the top 50.

If you can't understand the difference between accuracy and completion percentage, you are not worth arguing with.