My Meaningless Opinion

R. Rich

A win is a win is a win, huh? Hey, we Bills fans will take it. It certainly feels better than watching yet another heartbreaking loss.

Ryan Fitzpatrick may feel differently, as he was horrendous in this one. Woefully inaccurate yet again (throws are still going to the inside on out routes, giving CBs a shot @ a pick) and locked onto one target (the reason for the red zone INT; scan the field, man!!) for most of the game, he struggled mightily. I love the effort (especially on his diving block to clear the way for a nice gain), but he is simply not a very good NFL QB. The Bills need to do better if they are going to ever be a viable contender.

Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson were very good in getting to the 2nd level and making some things happen. Two things I particularly liked in this game were: (1) Jackson's toughness in breaking a would be tackle for a loss and turning it into a big gain and (2) Lynch just getting the ball and, get this, attacking the line of scrimmage and making people miss on the fly on a huge gain! I know; I couldn't believe it, either. Corey McIntire still doesn't impress me as a lead blocker (whiffed big time on an outside run and failed to pick up a LB shooting the gap), but he's not atrocious either. I really like the way Jackson and Lynch were able to compliment each other in this one. Hopefully, we'll see more of the same in these last few games and the Bills will continue to build on it.

Oops, forgot to mention the receivers. Then again, what did they do? Terrell Owens had a TD reception, Lee Evans had one catch all day and was the intended target on Fitzpatrick's red zone INT (but did have a really nice downfield block on one play that went for a big gain), Josh Reed did even less (missed a 3rd down play in the red zone that was tough, but could've been caught), and TEs Johnathan Stupar and Shawn Nelson were barely there. Nelson did make a nice catch on a poorly overthrown ball by Fitzpatrick, but then got injured and was done for the day.

What a run blocking performance by the offensive line! Andy Levitre had a really good block on an inside run by Lynch that made me take notice. He also had a good lead block on an outside run later in the game. Overall, this had to be one of his best performances of the season, if not his best. The holding call puts a bit of a damper on it, but he was still very good. Geoff Hangartner still is not as stout as we'd like to see in pass protection. In this regard, he's not much of an upgrade from Melvin Fowler. But, he did do a solid job of run blocking, as there were holes UP THE MIDDLE in this game. Props also to Kendall Simmons, who has improved by leaps and bounds from what was a disastrous debut. Another guy who looked pretty good in run blocking was Jonathan Scott. But, boy does he struggle in pass protection! Tamba Hali looked like Dwight Freeney out there, getting pressure from the edge, regardless of whether he brought the QB down or not. Kirk Chambers also struggled maintaining the edge, and his leverage looked pretty bad. No knee bend, and guys were able to get into his chest 'cause of it. Considering how well Lynch and Jackson performed in that scheme, and how these guys were able to give the backs a crease, maybe they should try to run like this more often.

Props also to the defensive line, as they got consistent pressure off the edge all game. Chris Kelsay had a terrific sack, where he rushed wide, then got inside the right tackle to shed 'em and get a sack. Where has that been all year? I thought all he could do was run outside and overrun QBs. Aaron Schobel's sack was even more impressive, as he shut down a drive in the red zone (yeah, I know...they really did!) by....you'll never believe this, folks......staying home on a misdirection play!!!!!! Outstanding. I actually thought Spencer Johnson was pretty good against the run in this one, and he was very good in providing interior pressure. Marcus Stroud also did a good job of getting into the backfield to disrupt plays, but he did have his share of plays where he was single blocked out of the play. Considering the Chiefs weren't able to just run wild on the Bills w/ the exception of the long Jamal Charles TD run, I'd say he did okay. Kyle Williams also had a nice play where he shot the gap and slowed up the RB, but the pursuit didn't get there quck enough and the back avoided a loss.

Paul Posluszny had a very good game this week. The INT was nice, but he does need to know when to go down. You're not going to shake your way out of traffic and take that one in, so just go down and secure the possession for your squad. Now, if you see nothing but green, by all mean, take that ball to the house! Bryan Scott made some nice plays, but I did see one play where he inexplicably pulled up on an outside blitz. He made up for it by coming up w/ the sack to take KC out of FG range later. Nic Harris was okay in getting the start, but aside from one tackle for a loss, wasn't much of a factor. He also looked a bit out of place in his dropbacks, but hey, that's to be expected in a guy who hasn't had much run. I think these guys did a pretty good job of holding the outside down, so that powers, counters, and screens didn't kill the Bills as in many other games this year.

If Terrence McGee isn't really healthy enough to go (more on this later), then don't go. Going out there not fully ready to play isnt' going to help much, as was obvious on a play where Chris Chambers beat him for a nice gain. I just didn't see the typical McGee fiestyness, nor did I see him in position to make a play on many passes in this one. Lucky for him, and the Bills in general, that Drayton Florence was very reliable in coverage. He had one pass breakup in particular that was really sweet. I liked the way Donte Whitner was able to snuff out the one screen pass early in the game. Obviously, it was something the Bills saw in film study and was ready to counter. The guy who continues to impress in limited action, though, is George Wilson. He broke up some passes, had a nice pick to seal the deal, and was able to bust through and make a stop for a loss. Good job.

I must also apologize for dissing special teams lately. I've just taken for granted the Bills' stable kicking game. Well, this week, you have to single out Brian Moorman for a wonderful job of providing poor field position to the Chiefs. Considering how much the team struggled throwing the football and in how poor they were in coverting third downs (3 of 12) despite a very strong running game, Moorman's punts were essential to this victory. Props also to Ashlee Palmer for making some tremendous plays. The one where he just shot through to make the stop on a kick return was a thing of beauty. Rian Lindell was reliable as ever, knocking in 3 FGs and just barely missing one from 51 yards. Great job.

For the most part, the coaching was sound in this game. Perry Fewell did blow it by sending the house, only to see Charles take it to the house. Also, Alex Van Pelt could've just ran the ball in on the drive where Fitzpatrick threw the pick in the red zone. But, as I mentioned earlier, they did make sure the KC running game didn't control this game (especially the outside and misdirection plays) and also made sure they got their own running game going. This is how you win games, especially ones where your passing game falters and you can't convert on 3rd down. Controlling the clock is exactly how the Saints were able to beat the Bills earlier this year, as you'll remember that Drew Brees was neutralized and the Bills were surprisingly good @ getting the Saints offense off the field. But, they were able to run the ball down the Bills' throats in the second half and got the win. So maybe you're onto something here, guys. But you still have a ways to go.

Now, one thing I must address before I'm done is how in the world is the Bills' strength and conditioning program not being held accountable for the laundry list of injured players? There are some that you just can't pin blame on (like Eric Wood's injury), but there are many others where guys just don't appear to be in good enough condition to endure an entire season. When your team endures a riduculous amount of injuries over the course of a few seasons, it's time to question how well conditioned they are. I say it's time for a change in this department. Now.

Well, as I said initially, a win is a win is a win. Enjoy it, as you know who (hint: a dozen in a row) comes to town this weekend. The postseason is still just a fantasy for us Bills fans, so we can only hope to be the kinda spoiler to them that Cleveland was last Thursday to the Steelers. Belichick has a few weeks of film on a Fewell-coached Bills team, so that could mean trouble. But, you never know. They've got a shot, and I will be rooting as hard as ever for a Bills win. I saw a team not only play hard, but find a way to win a game this week. When's the last time we were able to say that 'bout our Bills?

A win is a win is a win, huh? Hey, we Bills fans will take it. It certainly feels better than watching yet another heartbreaking loss.

I must also apologize for dissing special teams lately. I've just taken for granted the Bills' stable kicking game. Well, this week, you have to single out Brian Moorman for a wonderful job of providing poor field position to the Chiefs. Considering how much the team struggled throwing the football and in how poor they were in coverting third downs (3 of 12) despite a very strong running game, Moorman's punts were essential to this victory. Props also to Ashlee Palmer for making some tremendous plays. The one where he just shot through to make the stop on a kick return was a thing of beauty. Rian Lindell was reliable as ever, knocking in 3 FGs and just barely missing one from 51 yards. Great job.

Now, one thing I must address before I'm done is how in the world is the Bills' strength and conditioning program not being held accountable for the laundry list of injured players? There are some that you just can't pin blame on (like Eric Wood's injury), but there are many others where guys just don't appear to be in good enough condition to endure an entire season. When your team endures a riduculous amount of injuries over the course of a few seasons, it's time to question how well conditioned they are. I say it's time for a change in this department. Now.

STs were just that yesterday weren't they? Palmer had 2 huge hits. :wallbash: Moorman was spectacular. :wallbash: Lindell (don't fault the coaches for trying the 51 yarder one bit). :wallbash:

Preaching to the choir regarding strength and conditioning. Some stuff is just normal football stuff. Some stuff is players below peak conditioning. This department must be fixed ASAP.

A win is a win is a win...and shame on anyone griping about draft position.

AND...yet another December Dallas loss. :D Yes, I take satisfaction in watching that team falter again...here's hoping it continues this Saturday.

Ryan Fitzpatrick may feel differently, as he was horrendous in this one. Woefully inaccurate yet again (throws are still going to the inside on out routes, giving CBs a shot @ a pick) and locked onto one target (the reason for the red zone INT; scan the field, man!!) for most of the game, he struggled mightily. I love the effort (especially on his diving block to clear the way for a nice gain), but he is simply not a very good NFL QB. The Bills need to do better if they are going to ever be a viable contender.

Nice overall writeup, as usual.

To be fair, on the interception in the end zone, I think Lee Evans was the only receiver running a route. IMO, his mistake was throwing a weak pass. He needed to throw it high and to the back of the end zone, so that wither Lee can jump and get it or it goes over everyone's head. Or just throw it away, because the Chiefs definitely snuffed the play out.

Also, I'd like to give Fitzy some credit for the best play he made all day - that I haven't seen mentioned yet. His block on the 47 yard Lynch run. Wow, Lynch was getting to the edge with one guy to beat, Fitzy comes out of nowhere and takes out the guys legs which gave Lynch the sideline. It was a great effort and great block!

Moorman's 73 yard punt. Really not much more to say.

Your opinion is all but meaningless. You bring some real good points in your post but let me put the emphasis on the

stength and conditioning program. Every team that goes throurgh a football season must have an appropriate program

and I doubt the Bills to be in that category. LET's hope the Bills management gives it ome thought among other things.

No of injured players is way too many to even hope to be a contender.

1st thing I would like to see from the "new administration," whoever that may be, is to bring back Rusty Jones as the Bills strength and conditioning coach. I have no idea why the Bills let him go in the 1st place!

Maybe he is happy in Chicago and not so ready to come back to the team that threw him under a bus after how many years?

Maybe he is happy in Chicago and not so ready to come back to the team that threw him under a bus after how many years?

as far as i know, we cant even talk to him unless we're going to give him some type of promotion.

agree that letting him go is up there with letting Pat Williams and Bill Polian leave.

When are we going to start giving Perry Fewell some credit?

PTR

I know, right? Penalties way down, offensive scoring up, allowing fewer points, being competitive for all four quarters...and doing it with a patchwork crew of essentially 2nd-3rd stringers. If the run was stopped (in theory a healthy defense could at least keep it under control) he could have conceivably gone 4-0.

I've said it a few times before, but I say Ralph takes that 50 million and hunts down a decent front office. Especially if we beat, or are competitive with, the Pats

Marcus Stroud also did a good job of getting into the backfield to disrupt plays, but he did have his share of plays where he was single blocked out of the play.

I thought Brian Waters ate his lunch throughout most of the day.

Stroud will crank it up when the mood strikes him on occasion but I get the sense he's just a veteran going through the motions on a bad team at this point.

To be fair, on the interception in the end zone, I think Lee Evans was the only receiver running a route. IMO, his mistake was throwing a weak pass. He needed to throw it high and to the back of the end zone,

Yeah, into about the 15th row. :wallbash:

Considering we had another 2 downs to pick up three yards, and then another 3-4 downs after that to pick up those last two yards to paydirt, throwing that ball anywhere in the field of play was folly.

I enjoy your game takes almost as much as I enjoy your draft takes. Which is a lot.

It sounds like you have watched the game a few times by now. What do you think

about drafting this year on the basis of how easy it will be for a new coach to get results quickly from that position? For example, get a veteran QB instead of drafting one early b/c QB's take time to get results compared to, say, a DT?

Fitzpatrick's biggest problem is his mechanics. He does not have good footwork and rushes a lot of his throws. On the red zone INT there was only one receiver out in the pattern so scanning the field wouldn't have done much. He just needs to take his time and be more accurate. As the announcers pointed out, a pass to the corner of the end zone on that play would've given the receiver a good chance at a TD.

Fitzpatrick's biggest problem is his mechanics. He does not have good footwork and rushes a lot of his throws. On the red zone INT there was only one receiver out in the pattern so scanning the field wouldn't have done much. He just needs to take his time and be more accurate. As the announcers pointed out, a pass to the corner of the end zone on that play would've given the receiver a good chance at a TD.

good thing we had our tall end zone target in on that play

I thought Brian Waters ate his lunch throughout most of the day.

Stroud will crank it up when the mood strikes him on occasion but I get the sense he's just a veteran going through the motions on a bad team at this point.

I think he's been going through the motions more often than not. He's not drawing double teams and for all the talk about the pass rush being better, the DL can't get off their blocks.

I recall Marv saying almost 3 years ago that they wanted LB's who could attack the LOS. Hard to do that when the DL gets moved easily.

Chicago has 10 players on IR to our 16. Better than us, but certainly not even close to the top of the league (NYJ - 3). Detroit has 20, then us and Tampa at 16.