Kelly to coach Notre Dame

todzilla

This just shows how messed up college football is, and how little a non title bowl means. The team is 12-0 with a chance to finish #2 in the polls and he just takes off. Why can't they finish the season first. If there was a playoff, he would certainly be staying to try and win the National Title. But this proves every other bowl game is meaningless. I feel sorry for the players who have busted their a$$es all year long.

This just shows how messed up college football is, and how little a non title bowl means. The team is 12-0 with a chance to finish #2 in the polls and he just takes off. Why can't they finish the season first. If there was a playoff, he would certainly be staying to try and win the National Title. But this proves every other bowl game is meaningless. I feel sorry for the players who have busted their a$$es all year long.

I wonder if Gill gets a phone call tonight...

That's a really lame move by Kelly.

He's taking over one of the biggest coaching jobs in college and is a year behind in recruiting for this year class. Can't say I blame him deciding he needs to do what's right for his new team. And the original post is right, in the grand scheme of things the bowl game is meaningless.

That's a really lame move by Kelly.

Nothing new these days. It's the "All About Me" era. D'Antonio bolted to MSU a few years back, Rodrgiuz whatever stiffed WVU, Petrino lifted a leg on ATL, Saban dogsh*tted the Fins, etc.

If you look for ethical behavior, football is a bad place to find it these days. Sad - but that's what it is.

He's taking over one of the biggest coaching jobs in college and is a year behind in recruiting for this year class. Can't say I blame him deciding he needs to do what's right for his new team. And the original post is right, in the grand scheme of things the bowl game is meaningless.

I understand the reasoning behind it. I just think it's not a very honorable way to conduct yourself.

Guess what? ALL the bowl games are meaningless. Even the "Official Championship of the SEC and BIG 12" game being played on March 23d or whatever date they've pushed it out to this year.

How can anyone blame the guy? His big motivation is to finish #2? Gee, thanks. Obviously, unless you are Florida, Alabama, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, Miami or Florida State, the BCS has absolutely no interest in what you may have accomplished on the field. Kelly has a chance to break into that group if he can restore Notre Dame to a national power.

You wouldn't take a better paying,more prestigious position with another company if you were offered?

I don't blame the guy for taking the job (though I think it is a coach killer). It's just a shame that the nature of college football forces the decision to be made now and not when the bowl season is over.

I don't blame the guy for taking the job (though I think it is a coach killer). It's just a shame that the nature of college football forces the decision to be made now and not when the bowl season is over.

I hear what you're saying. Maybe a rule could be put in place prohibiting contact untll after the bowls.

It is a chicken **** move by him to leave those boys and those fans high and dry like that. Some can sit there and say it means nothing, but you ask every one of those kids that fought their asses off if this bowl game means nothing. I bet their fans, alumni etal would disagree it means nothing.

He is just another pos in today's 'me' society. I hope the bastard falls flat on his face at ND.

I will tell you why Kelly is taking off before the bowl game. He doesn't want the embarrassment of his team being CRUSHED by Florida.

I agree completely. Why could they not wait until they completed the season?

I agree completely. Why could they not wait until they completed the season?

This isn't like the NFL where nothing can really be done until well after the season is over (Free Agency has a specific start date, the draft is a couple months down the line).

Coaches started scouting high school kids for this years class 3 years ago, and started actively recruiting them 1-2 years ago. And every single person they recruit is someone that fits the needs of the team (you're not spending a lot of time recruiting the top LB talent when you brought in 8 in the last two years, etc...). Notre Dame is even more difficult due to the stricter academic considerations. Not to mention having to completely figure out everything he can about his new team and all of the recruits that were previously recruited by Weis...does he still want them / do they want to play for him / what has to be done to make it all work out.

ND is going to pay him top dollar to turn their program around and every single move he makes is going to fall under the microscope of the college football world. The reports were that he talked to his team in private about what was going to happen, and while I'm sure all of those kids want him on the sideline, I bet they all also want him to succeed in his new job. I'd counter the tantrum above and say, Ask every one of those kids if they hate Kelly because he is going to start a new job, and almost all would say no, they understand.

It is a chicken **** move by him to leave those boys and those fans high and dry like that. Some can sit there and say it means nothing, but you ask every one of those kids that fought their asses off if this bowl game means nothing. I bet their fans, alumni etal would disagree it means nothing.

He is just another pos in today's 'me' society. I hope the bastard falls flat on his face at ND.

There are typically two sides to every situation, but you are pretty close to correct here. Kelly owes it to the players he recruited and coached for all of these games to be there for them in the biggest game of their season and, for most of them, their entire football careers. To say anything else shows a lack of understanding as to what being a coach and leader is about. I sure wouldn't send my kids to play for him...

Here's the reaction from the team:

"I don't like it," said Gilyard, the Big East's top receiver and kick returner. "I feel there was a little lying in the thing. I feel like he'd known this the whole time. Everybody knows Notre Dame's got the money. I kind of had a gut feeling he was going to stay just because he told me he was going to be here."

and

"Just blindsided by the fact that it's a business," Gilyard said. "People lose sight of that. At the end of the day, NCAA football is a business. People have got to make business decisions."

Here's the reaction from the team:

"I don't like it," said Gilyard, the Big East's top receiver and kick returner. "I feel there was a little lying in the thing. I feel like he'd known this the whole time. Everybody knows Notre Dame's got the money. I kind of had a gut feeling he was going to stay just because he told me he was going to be here."

and

"Just blindsided by the fact that it's a business," Gilyard said. "People lose sight of that. At the end of the day, NCAA football is a business. People have got to make business decisions."

One player is "the team"?

And just to put into context, the comments are aimed at Kelly leaving at all.

This isn't like the NFL where nothing can really be done until well after the season is over (Free Agency has a specific start date, the draft is a couple months down the line).

Coaches started scouting high school kids for this years class 3 years ago, and started actively recruiting them 1-2 years ago. And every single person they recruit is someone that fits the needs of the team (you're not spending a lot of time recruiting the top LB talent when you brought in 8 in the last two years, etc...). Notre Dame is even more difficult due to the stricter academic considerations. Not to mention having to completely figure out everything he can about his new team and all of the recruits that were previously recruited by Weis...does he still want them / do they want to play for him / what has to be done to make it all work out.

ND is going to pay him top dollar to turn their program around and every single move he makes is going to fall under the microscope of the college football world. The reports were that he talked to his team in private about what was going to happen, and while I'm sure all of those kids want him on the sideline, I bet they all also want him to succeed in his new job. I'd counter the tantrum above and say, Ask every one of those kids if they hate Kelly because he is going to start a new job, and almost all would say no, they understand.

Bull ****. All those kids care about is winning. They came to that university because HE recruited them. They are there mostly because of him. sorry, no they wont' understand and they won't give a **** he is leaving them for the 'blessed' ND.

Bull ****. All those kids care about is winning. They came to that university because HE recruited them. They are there mostly because of him. sorry, no they wont' understand and they won't give a **** he is leaving them for the 'blessed' ND.

Yeah it sucks...it sucks a lot. But its how the game is played.

Strong word is that Notre Dame negotiated with Stoops last week. They didn't get him. If he had left, you damn well know it would have been immediately. Would you be trashing your beloved Bob had that been the case?

****, !@#$, ****!!!!!!!

Am I cool now, too?

One player is "the team"?

And just to put into context, the comments are aimed at Kelly leaving at all.

Huh? Did you mean aren't aimed at Kelly leaving at all? If so, then what are they aimed at? It sounds like he is very bitter about the coach leaving, going so far as to call him a liar.

We blame these players for being "young punks" in the NFL but look what they are learning from. How do you tell 18-22 year old kids that hey everything i told you the past years, months is all B.S. see ya im off to coach somewhere else, Good luck in playing in one of the most important games in your lives, i wont be there for you. :)

Huh? Did you mean aren't aimed at Kelly leaving at all? If so, then what are they aimed at? It sounds like he is very bitter about the coach leaving, going so far as to call him a liar.

I was just saying that the comments were directed at him leaving, not about him leaving before the bowl game (which was the direction the thread had turned at the point you posted the quotes).

Sure, players are going to be upset about the coach leaving, especially after they were recruited by that coach, but that's just the way of things. Coaches get promoted. They take better jobs. They take more money. I don't think anyone (outside of Cinci) could blame Kelly for taking the ND job. The kids can be bitter all they want, but in the end it's just life.

I would like to hear what they think specifically about the bowl game though, since that part is at least debatable.

If he wants the x million per year, he needs to start recruiting now...in another month it will be too late

this happens every single year, it's hardly worht noting

Guess what? ALL the bowl games are meaningless. Even the "Official Championship of the SEC and BIG 12" game being played on March 23d or whatever date they've pushed it out to this year.

How can anyone blame the guy? His big motivation is to finish #2? Gee, thanks. Obviously, unless you are Florida, Alabama, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, Miami or Florida State, the BCS has absolutely no interest in what you may have accomplished on the field. Kelly has a chance to break into that group if he can restore Notre Dame to a national power.

Can't argue with you. You are going to see a playoff pretty soon, especially with Congress getting involved now. I love football but that is why for my money you can not beat the NCAA tournament. Neutral courts, one & done, bracket format, cinderalla upsets, it has got it all. Beats the bowls & beats the NFL playoffs imo.

I hear what you're saying. Maybe a rule could be put in place prohibiting contact untll after the bowls.

The problem with that is they lose all that time in recruiting. I really do not see any easy solution to it. It does suck for cincy though.

I was just saying that the comments were directed at him leaving, not about him leaving before the bowl game (which was the direction the thread had turned at the point you posted the quotes).

Sure, players are going to be upset about the coach leaving, especially after they were recruited by that coach, but that's just the way of things. Coaches get promoted. They take better jobs. They take more money. I don't think anyone (outside of Cinci) could blame Kelly for taking the ND job. The kids can be bitter all they want, but in the end it's just life.

I would like to hear what they think specifically about the bowl game though, since that part is at least debatable.

The hard part here is that the players were 16-17 years old when they were sold on the school by the head coach. That's a very impressionable age and you can easily believe that the coach is going to be there forever....well, at least until after you graduate. This is why I can understand Gilyard's reaction.

I agree that it's part of the business of being a big-time head coach, but is it easy enough to try and tell the kids "Don't be surprised if your coach is gone after a year or two"? If I was told that, I'd wonder why I was even going to the school.

I don't think there's an easy way out of this. If Kelly decided to take the job, he really has to start right away, but I'd still feel jilted if I was a player.

There is nothing out of the norm about this. The most important part of being a successful college coach is recruiting and this is a key time for that. It does kinda suck for the players at Cincy, but it shouldn't be any different for them for a bowl game, although they are probably going to get spanked by Florida. You can't blame Kelly though, look at it this way, he won every game on his schedule, and still doesn't get a chance to play for a National Title. There is no way on this planet, if he was to win every game on his schedule at Notre Dame that he doesn't play for a National Title, plus I am sure he is making significantly more at Notre Dame.

If he wants the x million per year, he needs to start recruiting now...in another month it will be too late

Exactly. Since Weis was fired, every one of his recruits has received 100 phone calls from other coaches trying to persuade them to bail on Notre Dame. A one month delay could cost him 2 years in the rebuilding process.

And I would love to know how many of the "he owes it to his players" whiners would turn down a higher paying job at a more prestigious company because they felt they 'owed something' to their coworkers. Gimmie a break.

Exactly. Since Weis was fired, every one of his recruits has received 100 phone calls from other coaches trying to persuade them to bail on Notre Dame. A one month delay could cost him 2 years in the rebuilding process.

And I would love to know how many of the "he owes it to his players" whiners would turn down a higher paying job at a more prestigious company because they felt they 'owed something' to their coworkers. Gimmie a break.

Yep, exactly, it is how the game is being played. If he tells ND that he is going to wait until after the bowl game, chances are they move on & hire someone else. It is not he was the 1st choice(stoops/meyers/hell even Edsel possibly was ahead of him). My guess is Ginyard will get ove rit as soon as he signs his name to his 1st NFL contract sometime next year & becomes an instant multimillionaire.

There are some good points, he needs to start recruiting asap, but as mentioned by previous posters, the players have to feel like they are getting the short end of it because of their head coach bailing out on them. It's a slippery slope, and hopefully he can get ND on the right track, and hopefully the system will be reviewed, where maybe a player shouldn't have to wait a year before being able to play after transferring schools.

There are some good points, he needs to start recruiting asap, but as mentioned by previous posters, the players have to feel like they are getting the short end of it because of their head coach bailing out on them. It's a slippery slope, and hopefully he can get ND on the right track, and hopefully the system will be reviewed, where maybe a player shouldn't have to wait a year before being able to play after transferring schools.

Perhaps if there were games in December rather than a six week wait to play an exhibition game, and those games allowed teams to compete for a national championship, this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

I'm pretty sure Kelly would not have accepted any other job this week if he had been busy preparing for Cincinnati's quarterfinal game against Iowa this Saturday.

Yet another by-product of this broken system.

At least he didn't do what a few coaches have done over the past few seasons, sign an extension at Cincy then bail a few weeks or months later. Kelly did what any sensible and successful college coach would have done, you can't blame him for anything, it is the system and he didn't create it.

Nothing new these days. It's the "All About Me" era. D'Antonio bolted to MSU a few years back, Rodrgiuz whatever stiffed WVU, Petrino lifted a leg on ATL, Saban dogsh*tted the Fins, etc.

If you look for ethical behavior, football is a bad place to find it these days. Sad - but that's what it is.

At least the guys you mentioned were bolting for a better team. Cincy would destroy ND today.