LOST...Season 6

duey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing that struck me was the whale inside of Claire's bag, didn't Aaron have a similar whale when Kate and Jack were his "parents"?

That is correct. Doc Jensen mentions that Kate gave Aaron the whale in the Original Timeline in the season 4 episode "Something Nice Back Home"

HOLY SHNICKLEFRITZ!!! Okay a lot to talk about from tonight's episode but first I have to let it all sink in. One thought I did have right off of the bat was when MIB was showing Sawyer the names in the cave and he got to "Kwon" he said "I don't know if that's Sun or Jin"... I thought why couldn't it be their kid that Jacob meant?

Loved last nights episode! Really gave us a lot to chew on. Some thoughts and observations…

I think that MIBwas in Christian Sheppard’s body right after the plane crashed on the island. Here was a dead body ready to be “used.” I think he then used Claire in that regard for a while until he was able to get into John (when he died). He used John because he knew he could then get Ben to do his dirty work (killing Jacob).

I think MIB at some point long long ago came to the island and was trapped there by the boy Jacob who wanted a playmate. The boy Jacob is probably some kind of God or supernatural entity who was always on the island. He became lonely and sought company in the form of MIB (maybe a kid at that time too). To even the playing field, Jacob gave MIB powers as well. They play the same game over and over…like chess. Jacob said last season that each time they play it is “progress,” just like becoming a better chess player. Chess even fits into the black vs. white theme.

Jacob sets the rules in this game, hence his visit to Locke yesterday (“You can’t kill him…you know the rules”). And just like a little kid, Locke/MIB throws a little tantrum and say in so many words “You can’t tell ME what to do!!!”

I think MIB is trapped on the island and maybe the only way he can get off is if he is ALLOWED to enter someone’s body. Hence his asking James if he wants to go home, and that they could go together. Almost like a vampire needing to be invited into someone’s home before they can enter.

I think Jacob was looking for his next body to be in…the screening of candidates. By process of elimination, the strongest and smartest would be the last one alive, and that person would then become Jacob.

Everyone that has ever been brought to the island was at some point screened, either by Jacob or the smoke monster (MIB). The ones that were perceived as a treat (i.e. the more powerful chess pieces) to Jacob or MIB was in some way killed off or captured by the other (or at least there were attempts to kill them off). Some characters died…others who are just pawns are allowed to live their lives on the island.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this is all some kind of supernatural chess game between child Gods.

PHEW! There you have it...duey's two cents. Have at it! :lol:

I also think that Aaron flat lining was a significant scene, lots of possibilities there...

This may be a correlation to when Claire couldn't feel kicking for a while and thought something must be wrong. Then, when Aaron did, she put Jin's hand on her belly.

-----

Locke is somehow with Helen in the sideways flashes. And for me, at least, it seems like his obsessive anger is gone. Doesn't mean he's not frustrated at little things, but it's like he's taken the "let it go" advice oft given to Jack. With the sprinkler scene, it was like his "communion with the island"/knowing exactly when it would rain was utterly lost. He is not the person he was on the island, and that's not a cheap crack at the disabled, b/c it's not entirely owing to his being in the wheelchair. There is a certain meekness to him... as Sawyer says, scared.

Helen mentioned Locke's father when they were talking about the wedding while he was in the bath. What did she say?

Sideways Hurley. "Randy Nations is a total douche, man." Rose, a temp office manager, still has cancer. Ben is a European History teacher --- and there was a flash of recognition, after a Felix Unger-style tirade about maintenance of the coffeemaker. Looks like coolie Hurley's getting the band back together. That might be fitting in the sideways world, as it was Hurley who "opened the box" originally.

I missed it. Did Helen rip up the business card?

-----

-Cool perspective shot on how the monster moves around the island.

-Check out Sawyer's bender! Complete with dirty wife-beater and white boxers. I don't think the alcohol was DHARMA-labeled, was it? That was something that puzzled me about the bottle of McCutcheon's he had in his stash (that Charlie and Hurley used to get Desmond drunk). Where the hell did that come from? We've been promised that there will be an answer re: the food drops this season.

-Ben lies, naturally, and Ilana picks up some of Jacob's ashes. Flock is "recruiting." And shortly, Ilana reveals that MIB, once he possessed it, is now stuck in Locke's body (except when reverting to smoke monster). Which begs the question of whether MIB ever possessed Christian's body.

-Found out what a "candidate" means. Is it safe to presume that the blond boy apparition is Young Jacob? "You know the rules. You can't kill him." Does that mean Richard (who couldn't see him), Sawyer (who could) or ....? To which, Flocke shouts Locke's sig line, "Don't tell me what I can't do!" I had left it open that MIB went off-island and possessed Locke's body near birth. Wrong. MIB is looking to leave the island. So he downloads minds/memories? Apparently Locke never read "Of Mice and Men."

-As Lapidis said, weirdest funeral ever! Interesting that they trekked him all the way over to the original burial ground (the statue was at least half a day's sail from the camp). Going back to the painting on the hatch door, there were writings that marked graves of certain people, etc. Do all of the 815ers or at least "candidates" need to be buried there?

- A little bit of 4th wall conversation from the execs to us viewers: "If you want to shoot me, shoot me! But you are so close. It would be a shame to turn back now!"

- And then we get to the meat of the episode. A climb and fall down the coastal ladder, and we're evidently in (Jacob? /) MIB's office. White and Black stones on the balance --- Flocke casts the white one into the ocean as an "inside joke." There are rocks of other colors as well. Thinking it's some kind of judgment room.

Here, I want to make note of an original posit of mine. When they crashed, the main characters wore distinct color shirts, etc. They have since changed colors with some frequency. Perhaps the rocks, alongside Jacob's 'penchant for numbers' are like board pieces for each character (i.e. in Life, each player chooses a different color car).

4 - Locke

8 - Reyes

15 - Ford

16 - Jarrah

23 - Shephard

42 - Kwon (Jin, Sun, or baby Kwon

Is there any indication that the numbers are re-used? In a few screen captures, I didn't see any. And there aren't any more names to be crossed off. This is the final group of "candidates" to find a new protector of the island... that job title according to Flocke.

What about Desmond's 108? No word on what role the Constant plays. Posit this: Richard is the constant for Jacob/MIB's game.

Again, we get the rant that they're all puppets controlled by Jacob, similar to Locke's rant that they were puppets to the computer. "[Jacob] was pushing you to the island." And we revisit the question of what the nature of all of this is. Locke's assertion that the island needed to be protected, Jack saying, "It's just an island!" in the S4 finale.

Three choices:

- Do nothing. Until your name is crossed out.

- Take over Jacob's job. What exactly this job entails... Would the successor have to start more games?

- Leave the island. Before I learned that Ilana had said MIB now can't possess another body, I was thinking that MIB meant that he would possess Sawyer. Evidently, that's not an option.

If they could all leave and nothing would happen, that would be such a cop-out. Seems to me that this protector's job might be to keep MIB on the island... to contain him here so he can't be unleashed on the world. Keeping this entity (can we call him a god?) at bay is how the world is saved.

-----

Helen mentioned Locke's father when they were talking about the wedding while he was in the bath. What did she say?

I missed it. Did Helen rip up the business card?

-----

What Helen said was this..."Let's just get my parents and your father and..." Obviously alluding to a simple wedding somewhere with the parents. Clearly this means that John is on good terms with his father...so if that's the case how the hell did John get hurt?

And yes...she did tear up the Jack's business card.

It sure does seem like Hurley is the key of getting everyone together, even if it is being done unconsciously. I wonder if he's almost like Jacob this time around...maybe he doesn't need to physically touch everyone...maybe he just needs to encounter them and gently push them in one direction or another.

I thought this was actually the best episode in quite a while.

I'm very intrigued by the new revelation involving the numbers/colors. It would seem that Jacob is an even grander puppeteer than we thought.

A prediction...

- Sawyer has crossed briefly to the dark side, but he's a good guy. I think he will be killed in the process of redeeming himself.

The obvious choice is the blond boy is Jacob, in fact he even looks like the elder version. However, the very first thing I thought of was:

AARON!!

Remember, he is destined for something great, and we don't know what that is. He is the wild card on this show, along with Walt. I suspect both will have a large role upcoming...

Ok game time...

We all have our theories on how the show is going to end.

Now, what do you think is the WORST possible ending the writers could come up with? Let's brainstorm.

Here's my candidate...

The whole thing turns out to be a dream had by Vincent the dog while he is napping in the cargo hold of the plane.

one thing i noticed regarding the candidates, they are all male. with the exception of Kwon, who we do not know if it refers to Jin or Sun. And no "Austin" even though he gave Kate the lunchbox.

Going off this, I assume (ASS-U-ME) that Kwon refers to Jin. but im jumping to conclusions.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this is all some kind of supernatural chess game between child Gods.

PHEW! There you have it...duey's two cents. Have at it! :devil:

Are they playing chess or some form of backgammon? As let's not forget that's the game Locke and Walt were playing in Season 1 and also has black and white elements. Also it might account for why numbers are assigned to certain people.

Helen ripping up Jack's business card to me is telling only because she did it after John called on his cell phone. As if it's in his cell phone he could always call it back if needed/wanted. We still don't know what Locke did in Australia because if he was turned down for the walkabout and didn't go to his business meetings, is there more we still have to learn? or is his story over?

Ilana picking up Jacob's ashes was very interesting. Ben confessing to Locke's murder but not Jacob's another thing I took from the episode. Also the young boy, Richard can't see him but Sawyer could makes you wonder who is it? Jacob reborn as Aaron has some merit. I'm thinking Kwan is in fact Sun due to the Oceanic 6 connection.

Flocke removing the white stone from the balance and throwing it into the ocean makes me think he's showing his arrogance that he feels he's tipped things on his side and now him and Jacob are no longer equals. Richard's denying Flocke's request to follow him reminds me of a bible story in which the Devil tempting Jesus to follow him instead of God. Flocke also offering to give Sawyer an education of what's really going on reminds me of a few bible stories of the Devil. Also Sawyer's answer if he wants to go home? "Hell Yeah" Make it all make it seem now rather obvious that Flocke is the devil incarnate.

Yet him proclaiming to Sawyer that he once was human makes you wonder perhaps he isn't. I'm really just rambling things that feel like might be worth noting.

Ok game time...

We all have our theories on how the show is going to end.

Now, what do you think is the WORST possible ending the writers could come up with? Let's brainstorm.

Here's my candidate...

The whole thing turns out to be a dream had by Vincent the dog while he is napping in the cargo hold of the plane.

Or a delusion by Hurley in some mental institution.

New question: How is Ben Linus in the Sideways world? If he was already turned over to the Others after being shot, he could not have been on the Galaga. And if the Island was sent to the bottom of the Pacific when Jughead was detonated, wouldn't everyone still on the island have perished?

New question: How is Ben Linus in the Sideways world? If he was already turned over to the Others after being shot, he could not have been on the Galaga. And if the Island was sent to the bottom of the Pacific when Jughead was detonated, wouldn't everyone still on the island have perished?

For Ben and Ethan, that's something yet to be seen. We don't know what the event was that submerged the island, how sudden it was, or when exactly it happened.

Note that the island is not on the bottom of the Pacific. The top of the statute's foot was slightly beneath the surface, as were the Barracks houses. So the island is maybe 30 feet underwater.

Just a couple of quick hits, after a lot of you guys had some real nice writeups:

What if Jacob is bad in this entire scenario? We're led to believe he's the "good" force in this battle, but its quite possible they pull a 180 and make jacob the bad guy.

Maybe Littleton is crossed off the list in the cave because it's aaron and he didn't come back to the island. (at least during normal time, not sideways reality).

Lapidus seems to have a Charon (from mythology, the boatkeeper who ferried souls across the river styx)-type of role, ferrying the Lostaways back and forth to and from the island. I have no doubt that he'll pop up in sideways reality in some type of role.

We don't actually know that Jughead was detonated, do we? I personally think the apparent detonation was a red herring by the writers, and that it was a time-travel flash that occurred rather than a nuclear explosion.

Just a couple of quick hits, after a lot of you guys had some real nice writeups:

What if Jacob is bad in this entire scenario? We're led to believe he's the "good" force in this battle, but its quite possible they pull a 180 and make jacob the bad guy.

Maybe Littleton is crossed off the list in the cave because it's aaron and he didn't come back to the island. (at least during normal time, not sideways reality).

Lapidus seems to have a Charon (from mythology, the boatkeeper who ferried souls across the river styx)-type of role, ferrying the Lostaways back and forth to and from the island. I have no doubt that he'll pop up in sideways reality in some type of role.

I can't take credit for remembering this but someone from another Bills/LOST board mention remember hearing Lapidus called a candidate by Ilana? In terms of his sidetrack let's not forget he was originally the pilot intended to fly 815 perhaps he did in in sideways he actually ended up doing it or perhaps be the woman of Claire's couple ex husband but that's just grasping at one of my older notes and trying to tie it to something.

We don't actually know that Jughead was detonated, do we? I personally think the apparent detonation was a red herring by the writers, and that it was a time-travel flash that occurred rather than a nuclear explosion.

A note on that....

On the S5 DVDs, there is a featurette in the bonus section where Michael Emerson visits in the LA studio. The part with Lindelof & Cuse goes into the writers' room, where there are several large white-erase boards. On screen-caps of one from the finale, which they were finishing up on at the time, it did all the scenes from "The Incident" as we know it. The white blast. There was another entry right below that said something like 'POV shot of Richard witnessing the blast.' So, that was evidently the scene he referred to when he said in the 2007 timeline, "I saw them all die." And as I've written before, Richard has seen people vanish right in front of him --- Locke, twice --- so he should know the difference b/w vanishing/time-travel jump and pure, unadulterated death.

They decided to leave it out of the final product.

Alpert seeing this c 1977 would have led to a war, according to the terms of the truce b/w the Others and Dharma. It was why the Swan construction was so secret. What exactly happened with (and following) the Incident that put the island under water is totally up for grabs.

Doc Jensen's post-ep write-up

Some bits and pieces...

Was it just me, or did you get a Jacobesque vibe from Hurley, all empathetic benevolence as he responded to his ex-employee's prickly anger with patience and grace and supreme knowingness and the hooked him up with a new job via his temp agency, another division of Hurley's financial empire? Watching this scene, I couldn't help but think about Helen's earlier line about destiny. And I found myself flashing back to this scene later in the episode, when Helen challenged Locke's incredulity about miracles. Was the Locke-Hurley crossing total coincidence, quantum synchronicity, or divinely orchestrated appointment? An elemental faith/reason debate worthy of old school Lost. But I am reminded of the old adage that our world is chockablock with everyday miracles — they just don't look the way we expect them to. What we expect is something like, say, miraculous healing for crippled legs after falling from the sky. But a miracle could be other people, too — like meeting a guy who can give you a job after getting fired, and better than that, a guy who sets you upon your true destiny.

I thought this was an interesting newsflash from Ilana: Smokey is losing his shapeshifting mojo. By choosing Locke has his avatar, he's becoming stuck with it, and you really got the sense that this god-like entity was settling into his new skin, his new home. But I also wondered what else Smokey might lose as he becomes more human. Will he lose the ability to turn to smoke and snake and coil through the jungle? Too bad, because that effect was pretty damn neat. But did you wonder as I did if perhaps some vestige of John Locke that got absorbed by Smokey along the way might be ''infecting'' him to ironically appropriate some Island parlance? I got that latter vibe from the moment when we heard Un-Locke bellow, ''Don't tell me what I can't do.''

Hmm! Totally cool note about Hurley. And in the second graf bold is is something I've been saying since last season. As much as Smokey has parasitically taken over Locke's body, there's something left of the host (or his memory/will).

Sawyer's Response To Smokey's Offer

What Was Said: ''So what do you say, James?'' Smokey asked. ''Are you ready to go home?'' Sawyer replied, ''Hell yes.''

Possible Chance I Believe Sawyer: 0%

Because I believe as heartbroken and furious as Sawyer may be… he ain't betraying the castaways to this monster. I think the minute Sawyer saw that ghost kid — that dead ringer for himself when he was a kid — and saw Un-Locke chase after him and then return without him, Sawyer made up his mind that this Fake Locke was one freakin' scary creep and needed to be brought down. Why didn't Sawyer put a bullet in him when had a chance? Because he needs to do what the Monster did to Locke: study him, observe him, figure out his weaknesses and how he can be mortally attacked, and then do so. In other words, Sawyer is doing what Sawyer does best: he's pulling a long con, the riskiest con he's ever pulled: fooling the devil into thinking he has an ally — and then stabbing him in the back with his own pitchfork. [Editor's note: my ''Totally Lost'' co-host Dan Snierson just informed me that my 0% assessment was ''crazy talk'' and demanded I increase my percentage to a more plausible... 2.7%. DONE!]

Gotta agree. Sawyer has always had a soft spot for kids. From abandoning that con (and leaving the $) when the kid came in the room, putting the reward $ into an account for Clementine, saving Young Ben even tho he turns out to be Ben... and all this owes to his own experience. Sawyer is none too keen on anyone who would hurt children. "Hell yes" was a complete lie.

-----

Also, Maggie Grace (Shannon) will be making an appearance this season, after all.

Yes she did and it also seems as though Slocke and his father get along in the sideverse; that begs the question, how did Slocke get in the wheelchair if that's the case?

Since everything in seems reversed, I'd guess something happened between Slocke and his mother when he was a child.

I think MIB is trapped on the island and maybe the only way he can get off is if he is ALLOWED to enter someone’s body. Hence his asking James if he wants to go home, and that they could go together. Almost like a vampire needing to be invited into someone’s home before they can enter.

That may very well be, but to me, that doesn't seem legit. I don't get the impression that he needs someone's body to leave. I believe he needed someone's body, specifically Locke's, in order to get Ben to kill Jacob. I don't think Ben would do that for anyone else. And if you needed a body to leave the island wouldn't you want to leave in Sawyer or Jack's body, rather than Locke's? :D

- A little bit of 4th wall conversation from the execs to us viewers: "If you want to shoot me, shoot me! But you are so close. It would be a shame to turn back now!"

The game in my guesstimation is Jacob trying to "save" the island, most likely from it's sinking, and MIB attempting to leave the island. My guess is if Sawyer shot MIB/Locke there, it would have been "game" over. And then in a Ground Hog's day movie sort of way MIB and Jacob would revert back to the beach to start the game all over again. The ending of the show will be Jacob and MIB sitting on the beach with the ship on the horizon and Jacob saying "you almost did it" or something. Just a crazy theory, but with this show I don't think anything can be called crazy...

4 - Locke

8 - Reyes

15 - Ford

16 - Jarrah

23 - Shephard

42 - Kwon (Jin, Sun, or baby Kwon

Interesting that Kate is eliminated from contention. Baby Kwon is a good point, Jacob did touch both Jin and Sun, but would have had to know that Sun would get pregnant. Not that that's out of the realm of possibility.

Helen ripping up Jack's business card to me is telling only because she did it after John called on his cell phone. As if it's in his cell phone he could always call it back if needed/wanted. We still don't know what Locke did in Australia because if he was turned down for the walkabout and didn't go to his business meetings, is there more we still have to learn? or is his story over?

Helen ripping Jack's business card feels to me as though she finally feels that Locke has accepted his handicap. Obviously Locke was in complete denial, he's attempting to go on walk abouts, choosing not to park in handicap parking spots, and wanting to be a construction foreman. And Helen ripping the card is symbolic of them moving on with their life by Locke accepting his condition.

Other notes:

Love the inside joke comment by Locke, very funny.

Hurley is rich and is lucky, the exact opposite of how he was when the plane crashed. I have to think it's going to be very difficult to convince Hurley to leave all this to help save an island, should it come to that...

I believe that anyone the Jacob touched, cannot be killed while on the island, those are the "rules'.

Interesting tidbit I found on another site:

Jack's number was 23 on the wall.

Psalm 23

"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters...."

Gotta agree. Sawyer has always had a soft spot for kids. From abandoning that con (and leaving the $) when the kid came in the room, putting the reward $ into an account for Clementine, saving Young Ben even tho he turns out to be Ben... and all this owes to his own experience. Sawyer is none too keen on anyone who would hurt children. "Hell yes" was a complete lie.

Sawyer is definately conning MIB

That may very well be, but to me, that doesn't seem legit. I don't get the impression that he needs someone's body to leave. I believe he needed someone's body, specifically Locke's, in order to get Ben to kill Jacob. I don't think Ben would do that for anyone else. And if you needed a body to leave the island wouldn't you want to leave in Sawyer or Jack's body, rather than Locke's? :D

The game in my guesstimation is Jacob trying to "save" the island, most likely from it's sinking, and MIB attempting to leave the island. My guess is if Sawyer shot MIB/Locke there, it would have been "game" over. And then in a Ground Hog's day movie sort of way MIB and Jacob would revert back to the beach to start the game all over again. The ending of the show will be Jacob and MIB sitting on the beach with the ship on the horizon and Jacob saying "you almost did it" or something. Just a crazy theory, but with this show I don't think anything can be called crazy...

Interesting that Kate is eliminated from contention. Baby Kwon is a good point, Jacob did touch both Jin and Sun, but would have had to know that Sun would get pregnant. Not that that's out of the realm of possibility.

Helen ripping Jack's business card feels to me as though she finally feels that Locke has accepted his handicap. Obviously Locke was in complete denial, he's attempting to go on walk abouts, choosing not to park in handicap parking spots, and wanting to be a construction foreman. And Helen ripping the card is symbolic of them moving on with their life by Locke accepting his condition.

Other notes:

Love the inside joke comment by Locke, very funny.

Hurley is rich and is lucky, the exact opposite of how he was when the plane crashed. I have to think it's going to be very difficult to convince Hurley to leave all this to help save an island, should it come to that...

I believe that anyone the Jacob touched, cannot be killed while on the island, those are the "rules'.

Interesting tidbit I found on another site:

Jack's number was 23 on the wall.

Psalm 23

"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters...."

Ilana said something to the effect that MIB is now stuck in Locke's body. Except for the smoke form. (That's the reason she brought coffin-Locke all the way to the beach). Then again, we're surmising that MIB/Flocke transmogrified (my favorite Calvin&Hobbes word) into Alex's form when Ben was "judged." So she could be wrong.

If Sawyer had shot Flocke, the bullet would have passed through him. Same as it did in the Statue for Bram/Jacob's "bodyguards." Ilana picked up an intact bullet head. The reason Flocke wasn't particularly worried about being shot by Sawyer was that he couldn't be. Sawyer, too, knows this... which is why, as I wrote above, he has to go all Long Con on MIB to find out his weakness.

Yeah, that is interesting about Kate. She was originally (and I mean, "origin"ally) described as the heroine of the show. Seems weird that she's excluded as a "candidate" but perhaps she plays a kingmaker Jacobmaker role.

Rich and lucky isn't the opposite for Hurley. He hit the lotto with the numbers pre-815.

Guide listing:

LOST 6.04 | "The Substitute" re-air | ABC 8 p.m.

On the island, the Locke Monster seeks out Sawyer to join him in his mission, while in L.A., Locke suffers a repercussion from his trip to Australia, but receives a helping hand from a familiar face.

LOST 6.05 | "Lighthouse" | ABC 9 p.m.

Hurley tries to persuade Jack to accompany him on an unspecificed mission while Sawyer runs into an old friend.

Rich and lucky isn't the opposite for Hurley. He hit the lotto with the numbers pre-815.

Right, but then he had a string a bad luck and wished he never won it and believed those numbers were cursed. But now everything appears to be perfect in his life...

Right, but then he had a string a bad luck and wished he never won it and believed those numbers were cursed. But now everything appears to be perfect in his life...

And how did he get those numbers in the post Jughead time line? Was he in a nut house? Did he get them from someone in the nut house? Why did he go to Australia this time? Originally he went to find out where the numbers came from, didn't he?

!@#$ing snowstorm here threw off my antenna reception of the only ABC we have left post-digital switch. Lost the Boston ABC b/c some FCC douche-bags decided to give the same channel frequency to stations less than 60 miles apart, which knocks out both for my area (and they do this for several channels). And, as I've explained before, this is a top-notch set-up. It's worked through snow, rain, even a minor hurricane like a champ. Reception tonight was blotchy --- got a second, then lost for 3. OK for 2 seconds, out for 5. Ripped ****. Wouldn't you know, this happens for the only show of the week I actually want to watch. !@#$ my luck! Managed to find a crappy-quality online feed on channelsurfing.net. As a result, I didn't see a lot of the detail stuff.

Jack has a son in the sideways flash, named David Shephard. Had been wondering if Jack was still with Sara in this storyline. We don't find that out, but it seems a good bet. Jack's mother implies that David is afraid of Jack, vis-a-vis how Jack was afraid of Christian. Crank up your Harry Chapin albums! For a minute there, I thought Jack was going to find David hanging in his closet. What was the writing on the sheet music?

And so, Christian re-enters the picture, w/o re-entering the actual picture. It's his words that Jacob uses to get Jack to go with Hurley. "You have what it takes." And this permeates the ep. From Jack's father-son moment after the recital (Hmm! I had always taken Christian's line as a general "When you fail, you don't have what it takes," not that it was directed at Jack)... to something I'm going to infer. Picture it: early '80s, and in both timelines, Jacob shows up at the door and has a little chat with Christian Shephard. Doesn't reveal too much, or touch, but just dropped a seed. Knowing about the 'having what it takes' line is more than coincidence, even for all of Jacob's 'powers.'

And so, the lighthouse isn't meant as a literal guide. The Lighthouse seems to be the place to keep visual tabs on all the candidates. And it doesn't matter what the lighthouse points to, whoever's meant to come will come... it just mattered that Jack saw what the Lighthouse does. But why, then, does it show Jack's boyhood home rather than where he lived most recently? (Also, what was the first image Jack saw flash by?). Maybe following Jack around didn't matter anymore b/c there was enough to guide him to the island.

Seems as tho Jacob has favorites among the candidates. Hurley 'can be told what to do,' but Jack needs to 'stare at the ocean for a while and find the answer for himself.' Just as much as seeing the Lighthouse was intended to inscribe a 'This is your destiny' feeling, Jacob needs to show Jack the ropes --- a little on-the-job training? Also, is this the opposing office as the cave dwelling? One is Jacob's, one is MIB's, and they both keep tabs on the game on their own boards? (Many of the names on the degree-readings were crossed out, right?)

Dogan in real life. Hmm. And Jack didn't remember when he got the appendectomy. Perhaps the Losties were flashed in similar nature back onto 815 but with their 2007-->1977-->2004 appearance. Their memories are merged, similar to Desmond's in "Flashes Before the Eyes" or better yet, the knowing smile as he walked away from Penny's flat in "The Constant."

"I'm a candidate, and I can do what I want." [Japanese]. :wallbash:

Adam & Eve make a re-appearance. Nothing further revealed besides Hurley stating what every viewer has thought for quite a while. 'This could be two of us.' Everyone and their brother (including myself) was saying that it was Rose and Bernard. But, they seemed to flash out of 1977 just the same. Doesn't seem to be them. We've also been told that there's not going to be any more time travel stuff. My new theory is that it's Charlotte and Daniel, placed there possibly at different times (what timeline did Charlotte actually die in?) as they died in the flashes.

Claire in the 2007 timeline is the rough equivalent of Rousseau. Some kind of animal skeleton in the rocker. Creepy! Kills the black Other even when she finds out that they don't have Aaron. Bad word choices, Jin!!! Remember what Sawyer taught you! "You were right. ... I was wrong. ... Those pants don't make you look fat." Those, too, are the only three lines one needs for communicating with psycho blondes, as well as your wife-y. Claire's soon to have it bad for Kate... and i doesn't look like she's open to reason. "That's not John. That's my friend." Whoa.

Per the Lostpedia episode guide, so far:

- The lighthouse wheel reveals Austen as number 51. Austen is not crossed out and didn't appear in the cave in "The Substitute."

- Several of the names on the lighthouse wheel (eg Faraday, Rutherford) don't match up with the ones seen in the cave. However this may be due to Jacob taking names that he was no longer watching off the wheel and replacing them with other candidates.

There may be a reason why there's different candidate lists in the two different "offices" of sorts. The cave is MIB's list of candidates, the Lighthouse is Jacob's candidates. There are intersecting names, and there are also exclusive names.