LOST...Season 6

duey

Doc Jensen's LOST recap: Sunk

WATERSHIP, DOWN

The deadly climax aboard Widmore's hijacked sub was filled with delicious drama and twisted ironies. Here was Sawyer's big chance to succeed where Jack had always failed: pulling off an escape plan that didn't blow up in their faces. Yet instead of finding victory, Sawyer found his Waterloo — his Jughead. Under fire from Widmore's goons and needing to dive ASAP, Sawyer made the tough call of leaving Claire behind. He wasn't too heartbroken; he was never wild about letting Aaron's mad, squirrelly mama join his club, anyway. Still, you could tell by the look on Sawyer's face that he felt like a jackass. Leadership's a B word, ain't it, Sawyer? And so is payback. PREDICTION: If Sawyer should die by season's end, it will be by Claire's hand.

And some pertinent notes on the Sayid side of things....

(Shortly after the episode, one of my Twitter followers suggested to me that Sayid's sacrifice was some kind of clever inversion of suicide bomber terrorism. Separately, I have received other e-mails over the past several weeks from readers who've been alternately intrigued and worried by the implications of a story where the heroes are trying to save the day — i.e., stop Locke from leaving The Island — by conspiring to blow up a plane, or put another way, acting like terrorists. I have attempted some political readings of Lost over the years, and I have learned the hard way that my interpretations don't go over well with readers. I blame myself; I don't know if I'm all that skilled at that kind of analysis. I'm barely skilled at the kind of ''analysis'' that I choose to do! Yet I've been on record as saying that I see Lost as an allegory for our post 9/11 world, and so it seems fitting the series should end with a heroic response to terrorism. I'd love to see a better mind than mine explore these themes.)

Some critics will tell you that Lost kinda fumbled the Sayid storyline — that somewhere along the way, the show erred by shying away from exploring more of his Arab identity. I do wish we could have seen more of Sayid's childhood. And I do wish we could have learned more about what Islam meant to him. As I noted in my recap of ''Sundown,'' Sayid used to be a man who prayed. I don't think Lost forgot this detail. Indeed, I think Lost was trying to say something by turning Sayid into a man who stopped praying. Still, I would have liked to have seen more stories about Sayid's thoughts and feelings about his religion. And yet, at the same time, over the years, Sayid has come to embody a very relatable and challenging idea. We are feedback loops; we are the stories that we tell ourselves. For too long, Sayid has allowed the story of himself to be told by other people. The story has always been the same. You are a killer. The story Sayid wanted to believe about himself was quite different. I'm a lover, not a fighter. For various reasons, Sayid could never buy into this narrative. Not completely. Not consistently. Not faithfully. So praise Allah for Desmond. Whatever happened at the well, whatever Des said or did, it seemed to challenge Sayid, to shut down the voices of other people inside his head and listen to his own. It was his voice that told him to pick up that bomb. It was his voice that said, Go out the man you want to be — the man you believe you are. And he did. In the end, he died that others may live. He died a lover. Amen to that.

(BTW: What did you make of Sayid's final instructions to Jack? Sayid told him that Desmond was alive and in the well. He told him that Fake Locke wanted him dead — which by Sayid's reasoning must mean that Desmond poses some kind of threat to him. Jack asked: ''Why are you telling me this?'' Sayid: ''Because it's going to be you, Jack.'' Most likely, this was Sayid's way of saying: ''You have to do the work of saving him, because I'm about to get blown up.'' But is it possible that Sayid was actually revealing to us something that he probably learned from Desmond — that Jack is ''The Candidate,'' Jacob's final choice for Island protector?)

Doc mentions that Lapidus is a 'maybe death.'

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc Jensen's LOST recap: Sunk

Doc mentions that Lapidus is a 'maybe death.'

I wasn't 100% sure he died from the door explosion either, but then if he was knocked out and the sub sank..then one makes the logical conclusion he went down with the ship.

Next, I have not been to other forums yet, but in past seasons we would have dissected the meaning of the song playing in the box Claire was left by Christian, does anybody know what song that was?

Also, it funny , I could have sworn Sayid said"its good to be you Jack", not its "going to be you". Kinda like Goth from the first season lol.

Next, I have not been to other forums yet, but in past seasons we would have dissected the meaning of the song playing in the box Claire was left by Christian, does anybody know what song that was?

Catch a Falling Star and Put It In Your Pocket. I'm pretty sure Claire was humming the same tune when she was in the hole in the temple and asked Aaron's prospective, adoptive parents to sing the song to Aaron because her father used to sing it to her.

Catch a Falling Star and Put It In Your Pocket. I'm pretty sure Claire was humming the same tune when she was in the hole in the temple and asked Aaron's prospective, adoptive parents to sing the song to Aaron because her father used to sing it to her.

I believe you are correct sir!

I forgot, a really twisted version of it was played as background music when Claire, Sayid and Kate emerged from the temple after the smoke monster attacked.

Been doing a little digging into next weeks episode. Oddly enough, the cast list for the episode on IMDB only shows Claire, MIB, Jacob, and two "new" characters (Claudia and Hunter...I'm thinking Hunter is actually a hunter rather than someone named Hunter). All the other cast members are listed as "credit only," meaning that they aren't actually in the episode.

ABC's Lost website has two previews to next week (http://abc.go.com/watch/lost/93372), one with two woman and the other with blonde boy dressed in white and a dark-haired boy dressed in...of course...black.

Looks like the entire episode will deal with the history of the relationship of MIB and Jacob...I can't wait!!!

Been doing a little digging into next weeks episode. Oddly enough, the cast list for the episode on IMDB only shows Claire, MIB, Jacob, and two "new" characters (Claudia and Hunter...I'm thinking Hunter is actually a hunter rather than someone named Hunter). All the other cast members are listed as "credit only," meaning that they aren't actually in the episode.

ABC's Lost website has two previews to next week (http://abc.go.com/watch/lost/93372), one with two woman and the other with blonde boy dressed in white and a dark-haired boy dressed in...of course...black.

Looks like the entire episode will deal with the history of the relationship of MIB and Jacob...I can't wait!!!

Bout time!! I've had to wait like...I dunno...a few WEEKS for this backstory to be explained :lol:

1. Sayid's transformation back to normal was very cool and subtle. It happened when he was walking back from the well last episode and if you weren't looking for it, you might not have noticed it in this episode until he saved the day. But trust me, it was there and Naveen's acting deserves props for pulling it off without chewing the scenery.

you could feel he was slowly returning to his normal self and i agree, great acting!

2. Smokey can't turn to Smokey when he's wet ... brings back flashes of Ben "summoning" the Smoke Monster a few seasons ago by "draining the well". It was something planted long ago, and finally paid off tonight.

I thought it was odd that Flocke walks right towards the guys with guns that were guarding the plane and then ducks for cover when they were ready to head for the sub. That was pretty much a give away that he was up to no good. I believe he is that one that shot Kate so Jack would get on the sub.

3. Frank had as great a death as a character of his level could have. He was all one liners and he went out with one. Perfect.

Buffalo boy bites the dust. Some people were really starting to think that he was a very important character. Good thing sideway Locke has his pilots license... :lol:

4. Something I can't go into much ... but who's side is Widmore really on? Discuss that factoring in all that we saw tonight. There were lots of breadcrumbs left for that one.

That's exactly what I am thinking. I find it very hard to believe that Widmore would keep the power unguarded or at least not protect it to the full extent. That was just way too easy, and of course, Widmore was nowhere to be found. I am thinking Widmore and Locke want the same thing, including the candidates dead, and it's a race as to who gets it first. What they are after is the real question.

Good episode and it looks like next weeks episode is going to be very informative....

Ehhh.... I read that awhile back and danced around it. I'm pretty sure some people consider those things spoilers, but... the cat is out of the bag. Pretty ballsy for a show as popular as this to do an ep so near the finale with almost none of its main characters. But the thirst for island mythology isn't easily sated, and I'm guessing that by the end of "Across the Sea" no one will complain too much about the hour's devotion.

I thought it was odd that Flocke walks right towards the guys with guns that were guarding the plane and then ducks for cover when they were ready to head for the sub. That was pretty much a give away that he was up to no good. I believe he is that one that shot Kate so Jack would get on the sub.

I'm pretty sure Flocke had nothing to do with Kate getting shot.

What I found strange was when Flocke walked up to the two guards at the plane and got shot a point blank range he didn't get any bullet holes in his shirt.

I'm pretty sure Flocke had nothing to do with Kate getting shot.

What I found strange was when Flocke walked up to the two guards at the plane and got shot a point blank range he didn't get any bullet holes in his shirt.

Who knows...Jack did not want to get on that sub and wouldn't have had Kate not been shot. Flocke or Widmore would be my top suspects, we'll find out more next week.

Something that just hit me was the music box, flashback to Sayid fixing Rousseau's music box. Yet I checked and it's not the same box. In terms of the Flocke working with Widmore it does make some sense. As Widmore never made a secret of his wanting to open up the island for his own personal gain. So with the candidates and MIB gone the island's his for the taking.

Who knows...Jack did not want to get on that sub and wouldn't have had Kate not been shot. Flocke or Widmore would be my top suspects, we'll find out more next week.

I watched it again. Jack had just pushed Flocke into the water. I don't see how he could have shot anyone at that time.

Can someone recap what happened from when Hurley... big 400 lb Hurley, swam miles to shore carrying Kate and the end? Stupid Fios cut off the recording.

I caught a few of the S6 episodes on Hulu and ABC.com if you want to just skip ahead and rewatch the end. The quality is more than respectable, too

Can someone recap what happened from when Hurley... big 400 lb Hurley, swam miles to shore carrying Kate and the end? Stupid Fios cut off the recording.

From Lostpedia's precis of the ep:

Water begins to flood the submarine. Frank gets up and looks at a bulkhead hatch as it gives way and hits him with full force followed by gushing water. Jack finds Kate underwater and passes her to Hurley, giving him an emergency air cylinder and telling him to take her out. Hurley asks about Sayid but Jack yells, "There is no Sayid." Sun is pinned against the side of the chamber by a metal cabinet. Jin, Sawyer and Jack struggle to move the heavy cabinet but when they do, Sun is still trapped by a bar. A metal bar falls and strikes Sawyer on the head, knocking him out. Jack grabs him but still wants to help Jin free Sun. Jin refuses the last emergency air cylinder and insists that he leave and save Sawyer. Jack has a long last look at Jin and Sun and swims out of the submarine with Sawyer. ♪ Jin continues to try to free Sun despite her pleas for him to go, but to no avail. He holds her and says that he won't leave her. They embrace as water floods the submarine. The sub sinks and their hands drift apart in death.

Jack swims to the beach with Sawyer, who coughs up some water. Hurley and Kate stumble down the beach to meet them. Kate asks about Jin and Sun but Jack shakes his head. Hurley and Kate sob while Jack walks away to the sea and cries bitterly.

"Locke", still at the pier, tells Claire that the submarine has sunk. Claire is shocked that they are all dead but "Locke" says that not all of them are dead. He takes his pack and rifle and Claire asks where he is going. He replies, "To finish what I started."

here is a question for everyone...

What about David? Jack's son in the sideways flash. He is (I believe) the only character in the sideways world that does not exist in the original time line.

I ask this because I just read an interesting article which theorizes that Jacob=Aaron and MiB=David. And since David only exists in the sideways world, that is where he is trying to go "home" to. Now I'm sure that will be blown out of the water in the next episode which focuses heavily on Jacob and MiB's origins/game, but either way the question stands... What about David?