LOST...Season 6

duey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/04/lost-pro...tors-candidate/

Commentary on the episode from Darlton, Sun, and Jin.

I really can't believe Sun and Jin died like that, so soon after they were reunited. Really, really shocked, did not see that coming at all.

Did anyone understand everything Sayid said before he ran off with the bomb? Something about Desmond, the well, and "it's you, Jack." I rewound it about 4 times and just gave up, I couldn't understand him.

Agreed with Tgregg, though, regarding Naveen's acting- I thought he's been great all season and the past two episodes he's shone without making the character bigger than it needed to be.

Also, Tgregg, I too am curious about what is up with Widmore. Why would he lock the candidates up, knowing Locke was coming? In other words, if he's as savvy to the Island rules as we are led to believe, then he should know that the candidates are invincible (except to themselves) and that the only way to stop Locke's plan was to get them off the island asap, yet he keeps them in an obvious, confined space, and somehow allows the generators to go down, which, assuming he knows how dangerous Locke is, he would make keeping the smoke-shield things running priority number 1. Plus, we still have no idea what he wanted with Desmond, at least not a clear idea, or what the role of the geology team's role is.

Finally, I still think the sideways world is where we may have happier endings for Sayid, Jin, Sun, et al.

Welcome to our world for the past 6 years, aj!

lol, that must have been agony! I've definitely become more attached to this show than I expected I would, but I don't know if I could have done it week to week like you guys did. I didn't watch it in huge clumps like I did the first few seasons of 24, but I never just watched one single episode of Lost...I usually watched at least two or three, sometimes as many as six in a row. Pretty surreal having never seen an episode until a few months ago, and now I'm about to watch things come to an end lol...

3. Frank had as great a death as a character of his level could have. He was all one liners and he went out with one. Perfect.

Who???

Who???

Lapidas...the pilot. He got crushed by the exploding hatch (hmmm...we've seen that before!) in the sub. With what happened to Jin, Sun and Sayid, I sort of forgot about him too.

Lapidas...the pilot. He got crushed by the exploding hatch (hmmm...we've seen that before!) in the sub. With what happened to Jin, Sun and Sayid, I sort of forgot about him too.

Oh, okay...I guess I missed that too :wallbash:

I never liked the Sun and Jin parts of the show. Even through their episode this season, it was just ok. But I was looking very forward to their reunion. After everything they had to go through to be back together, the distance, the time, the TIME TRAVEL. What a journey just to find their love again. We got shorted on the big sappy reunion, and instead shown that they came all that way just to die together. I'm heartbroken.

Like UConn, I'm hoping that the sideways world will somehow heal everything. But I'm not expecting that either.

At least Sayid got to go out a hero...

:wallbash:

Okay, we're FINALLY getting to the point where I can talk freely ... WHEW.

James said a lot of good stuff above so definitely digest that. A couple things I'd like to point out that I dug:

1. Sayid's transformation back to normal was very cool and subtle. It happened when he was walking back from the well last episode and if you weren't looking for it, you might not have noticed it in this episode until he saved the day. But trust me, it was there and Naveen's acting deserves props for pulling it off without chewing the scenery.

2. Smokey can't turn to Smokey when he's wet ... brings back flashes of Ben "summoning" the Smoke Monster a few seasons ago by "draining the well". It was something planted long ago, and finally paid off tonight.

3. Frank had as great a death as a character of his level could have. He was all one liners and he went out with one. Perfect.

4. Something I can't go into much ... but who's side is Widmore really on? Discuss that factoring in all that we saw tonight. There were lots of breadcrumbs left for that one.

And finally, the one thing about the episode I didn't like:

Jin and Sun were two of my favorite characters on the page. When I read scripts throughout the past few seasons prior to seeing the rough cuts (which was part of my old job -- and it rocked) they were always AWESOME on the page but for some reason never translated (no pun intended) as well from the page to the screen. I was never sure why that was to be honest because the actors are terrific (and both super, super nice).

When I read their death scene it was the first time I read something and was like, "come on, really?". And I had hoped that the final edit would actually change my mind but nope. I still hate their death. Why? Because it's SO selfish. There was no reason for Jin to die too. He has a daughter off the island who now will be raised by Sun's horrible parents instead of Jin. I kept waiting for her to say, "you have to go for the baby". But nope. She was perfectly happy to let her husband die with her and doom her child as well.

I know, I know. They were "made" for one another. And it's fitting that they die together. I get it. And it works logically. But from a storytelling persepctive I just didn't vibe with it. It really sullied their whole journey for me. And, to add insult to injury, the final shot of them releasing hands was a bit overkill for me.

Still, as much as I'm complaining about that one little thing, I really thought this episode rocked. Next weeks is going to blow people's minds though I think. Well, at least it blew mine.

That conversation with Desmond really brought Sayid back from his stupor. And yes, it was very subtle, which is the way Sayid was trying to get an upper hand on an unsuspecting FLocke. In the paradigm of Jacob's and MIB's power to turn over to their side whoever lets these demi-gods talk to them, does that signify anything about Desmond? Or does it owe to his role as the Constant in the equation?

Earlier this season, with the Temple pool going dirty, I thought that bit where Ben drained the mudhole actually caused that. I don't know.... in the timeline, tho separated by seasons, it wasn't that far apart. So, yes, it appears that the mudhole was a sort of containment system, and we learned something about the powers of Smokey re: ability to transform. I hadn't connected that while watching, but then again, yesterday was a loooong day. But aside from that, we also learned that FLocke has a kind of innate sense re: the candidates' status... or he just knows something that is supposed to happen when all the candidates are dead, hadn't happened yet. Either way, he had one chance to play it all coyly and pretend to be the good guy. Now, everyone knows his intentions. At the opposite side of the coin, Jack seems to be the only one keyed into (some of) the candidates' powers.... well, maybe Hurley, who learned from dead Jacob that "[He's] a candidate and I can do what I want." Yet, Jack's faith and experience with the immunity to anything but another candidate causing his/their death does seem unique to him. And he wouldn't have gotten to this faith w/o the help of Locke. So, yes, maybe Jacob, in his 20-moves-ahead chess game, knew as he touched Locke on the ground that it would end in his own sacrifice, but still, he needed Locke to drive Jack into being the next protector of the island.

Following from that, I also didn't realize that Lapidus died there. I guess you just develop a whole "It's just a flesh wound!" mentality....

Widmore is on the side of Widmore. Staying with him may well have been a slightly safer alternative. But it also appears that he's a little over-matched, what with timetables being pushed around willy-nilly, losing his assets, trying to provoke fear through explosions that FLocke knows can't hurt him, etc.

Agreed on your Jin-Sun points. But also consider that in this timeline, iirc, Jin was declared unequivocally dead by the O6. If he showed up in Korea to reclaim his daughter, what happens? I guess we had to be satisfied that he had seen his daughter on a digital camera and knew that she was safe....

lol, that must have been agony! I've definitely become more attached to this show than I expected I would, but I don't know if I could have done it week to week like you guys did. I didn't watch it in huge clumps like I did the first few seasons of 24, but I never just watched one single episode of Lost...I usually watched at least two or three, sometimes as many as six in a row. Pretty surreal having never seen an episode until a few months ago, and now I'm about to watch things come to an end lol...

Well, I've always looked at this show as very near to reading a serialized Dickens novel. If you're a fast reader, you can catch up quick right near the end. But, as I pointed out in your thread, you've missed all the small conversation bits along the journey. It would take some dedication to the task for future viewers to even replicate the original ep-by-ep watching experience.

I never liked the Sun and Jin parts of the show. Even through their episode this season, it was just ok. But I was looking very forward to their reunion. After everything they had to go through to be back together, the distance, the time, the TIME TRAVEL. What a journey just to find their love again. We got shorted on the big sappy reunion, and instead shown that they came all that way just to die together. I'm heartbroken.

Like UConn, I'm hoping that the sideways world will somehow heal everything. But I'm not expecting that either.

At least Sayid got to go out a hero...

:wallbash:

And yet, being together is a large part of what this show's been about since the start. Adam & Eve, Bernard and Rose, etc. Even Nikki and Paulo, to a degree. Live together, die alone...? Or maybe die together, live alone?

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/04/lost-pro...tors-candidate/

Commentary on the episode from Darlton, Sun, and Jin.

I really can't believe Sun and Jin died like that, so soon after they were reunited. Really, really shocked, did not see that coming at all.

Did anyone understand everything Sayid said before he ran off with the bomb? Something about Desmond, the well, and "it's you, Jack." I rewound it about 4 times and just gave up, I couldn't understand him.

Agreed with Tgregg, though, regarding Naveen's acting- I thought he's been great all season and the past two episodes he's shone without making the character bigger than it needed to be.

Also, Tgregg, I too am curious about what is up with Widmore. Why would he lock the candidates up, knowing Locke was coming? In other words, if he's as savvy to the Island rules as we are led to believe, then he should know that the candidates are invincible (except to themselves) and that the only way to stop Locke's plan was to get them off the island asap, yet he keeps them in an obvious, confined space, and somehow allows the generators to go down, which, assuming he knows how dangerous Locke is, he would make keeping the smoke-shield things running priority number 1. Plus, we still have no idea what he wanted with Desmond, at least not a clear idea, or what the role of the geology team's role is.

Finally, I still think the sideways world is where we may have happier endings for Sayid, Jin, Sun, et al.

To sum up what Sayid said as I didn't get the exact quote but it was something along that Desmond's in the well and Locke wanted him dead which means you need him.

In terms of the episode, I can't say I'm upset over the deaths of Sun and Jin as they got their happy ending where they could be reunited and together and not die separately. I was more upset seeing Sayid die. As I shouted "Sayid no" as he grabbed the bomb and ran off. Sawyer's quote about running around in circles seemed poetic as it seems like prior plot lines keep resurfacing (pun intended). Sayid and the Oceanic Six finally escape from the island on a ship with a bomb was a flash back. Locke's father in the wheelchair unable to communicate eerily reminded me of Jacob in his cabin. So maybe we've already seen the ending already. The more and more I think about this show I think it's more about letting go of our past failures or those in our past and to start moving forward. In other words stop being lost in thought/the past and strive ahead to make our future better. I didn't see anyone else mention it but I found the absence of Ben and Richard rather telling. The previews for next week seem to be eluding perhaps the theories that Flocke isn't evil more palpable.

Wow!!! Where do I start? That episode was amazing!

Sayid did the stereotypical muslim thing and blew himself up, but I was proud of him. Why didn't he just grab the bomb earlier and lock it in the room he ran to and let the bomb go off without him? I guess the island was finally done with him. He was one of my favorite characters and I'd rather see him dead than evil.

I don't blame Sawyer for trying to disarm the bomb. Jack couldn't be trusted because of all the mistakes he made in the past. Even though Jack made said mistakes, I still believed him when he said nothing will happen when the timer runs out on the bomb and knew things would go bad when Sawyer tried to prevent the bomb from exploding.

I gotta admit, I teared up a little when Sun and Jin died. It was a very touching scene. If I were Jin, I would've done the same exact thing.

This episode, by far, was my favorite of the season and the main reason for that is all of the new characters, such as the people from the temple and all the other newbies were finally phased out/killed off and we were left with the main characters, which in my opinion, make the show what it is. They can have all the main characters talking to each other beach-side for the remaining shows and I would've loved it because that's what makes the show so incredible. The characters and actors are so amazing. I couldn't stand seeing all those extras.

I can't wait to see what's in store for us next!! I will miss this show when it's over.

I get where you're coming from but he said stereotypical, not typical.

True...but I doubt that the shows writers sat down and said, "It's time for Sayid to do the sterotypical thing and blow himself up." Seems like there was more to Sayid's character than just being a "stereotypcial Muslim."

True...but I doubt that the shows writers sat down and said, "It's time for Sayid to do the sterotypical thing and blow himself up." Seems like there was more to Sayid's character than just being a "stereotypcial Muslim."

You'll get no argument from me on that.

Dude...that's a pretty weak comment. Keep your prejudices to yourself. :P

HA HA HA HA!!! I AM a muslim.

I agree.

Well, I've always looked at this show as very near to reading a serialized Dickens novel. If you're a fast reader, you can catch up quick right near the end. But, as I pointed out in your thread, you've missed all the small conversation bits along the journey. It would take some dedication to the task for future viewers to even replicate the original ep-by-ep watching experience.

I think given the amt of participation in this thread, I would have enjoyed it enough to where the 6 days in between episodes were bearable. When nobody's talking about it, though, it sucks!

What I think is funny is how in the other thread (the one I started about Lost), every time I made a comment about something that happened, some of you guys knew exactly what episode i was on, what had just happened, and, I'm assuming the events that immediately came afterward. You guys know your stuff!