LOST...Season 6

duey

I'm very happy about the shows Emmy nominations. I'll take any remaining shreds of publicity and tv time for this show. It will be nice seeing the cast at the awards ceremony. I'll be rooting for as many wins as we can get! :rolleyes:

Reading over Doc's second installment and then watching the Totally Lost finale (all eight!), I'm again left with a feeling of sadness and longing. It was always tough getting through Lost's off-season. Now knowning that these characters won't be telling us any new tales is tough...(sigh)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Doc Jensen write-ups but I do think he's losing the plot a bit, it's the old 'what came first chicken or the egg?'...I mean, he's saying that MIB became smokey beause the Island knew in the future he would need to be smokey because he couldn't die and he had a job to do in the future!?

I'm sorry, but if the island just let him die then the future (that it doesn't know about yet) won't happen. I love the idea of the island being 'carrie' tho...it just fell apart for me right at the end.

Is part 3 up yet?

I love the Doc Jensen write-ups but I do think he's losing the plot a bit, it's the old 'what came first chicken or the egg?'...I mean, he's saying that MIB became smokey beause the Island knew in the future he would need to be smokey because he couldn't die and he had a job to do in the future!?

I'm sorry, but if the island just let him die then the future (that it doesn't know about yet) won't happen. I love the idea of the island being 'carrie' tho...it just fell apart for me right at the end.

Is part 3 up yet?

Didn't get a chance to post after I read it. But, yeah, I can buy into the Island as 'Carrie' concept. Still, it would seem to be like that "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" clip that he linked to. It wouldn't really matter who made what happen.... It happened, whether it was the island acting as a VALIS facilitated it all, or something else.

I also take a little umbrage with his writing that the deterministic scope of the island takes away the heroism of the main character, that Jack's sacrifice was lessened b/c it hadn't been his free-will choice. We'll see in the epilogues whether some of Doc's contentions about the Protector are true.

he has some really valid points and explains them really well - but with the MIB bit why not just have it that the island can do magic, that magic was to grant the wish of whomever the current 'protector' was.

here's a Q for you (which I may have missed), what happened to Juliettes sister? was she cured - and how?

I think the island is magical (why not - it's a story so anything can happen) and therefore can make things like this happen - the confusion begins when you try to figure what parts of bens actions were Jacob driven or MIB driven... :devil:...eg, who 'fixed' Juliettes sis - was it MIB or Jacob? Why was Ben ill? Was it because he was working for MIB? I think I just answered my own question! lol

he has some really valid points and explains them really well - but with the MIB bit why not just have it that the island can do magic, that magic was to grant the wish of whomever the current 'protector' was.

here's a Q for you (which I may have missed), what happened to Juliettes sister? was she cured - and how?

I think the island is magical (why not - it's a story so anything can happen) and therefore can make things like this happen - the confusion begins when you try to figure what parts of bens actions were Jacob driven or MIB driven... ;)...eg, who 'fixed' Juliettes sis - was it MIB or Jacob? Why was Ben ill? Was it because he was working for MIB? I think I just answered my own question! lol

It's debatable whether Juliet's sister's cancer re-appeared, as Ben claimed. I come out on the side that Ben made it up to manipulate her into staying b/c he knew she was a part of the works, and had to be there. With that line "She looks just like her" it seems apparent that he remembers her (and the other time-travelers) from his childhood. Despite Richard's "He won't remember any of this" I am of the firm belief that all the while, Ben knew that these people would be going back in time, somehow, some way, but he never let on.

Regardless, all the lead-up was the Dharma (literally, the Path) that the Candidates had to take. Juliet had to stay --- she was thwarted from leaving 3 times --- and that was the particular way it was accomplished. Ben's tumor appeared as part of the Path. Michael delivering that group into the Others' hands had to happen (and yet, as Ben said, within that it was Michael's choice to shoot AL and Libby). Otherwise, the Ajira landing site isn't built, Jack doesn't meet Juliet, etc. None of that would have happened. But then again, other things would have happened to bring about the circumstances, as part of the "course correction."

To a certain point, the Island does grant the wishes of the current Protector. It makes wishes / beliefs come true, no matter how seemingly cockamamie they are. Ben's metaphor of the Box wasn't about an actual "box", it was more like the Island itself --- if it's within the Island's powers, the Protector / the Candidates/ "special" people can bring events, people or items to pass, just by wanting it badly enough. It was stated by Darlton that the Protector can influence the weather. (Along these lines, was it Jack's rooting for the Red Sox what made them win the World Series? ;) In the Island world, maybe.)

First photo glimpse of the Hurley epilogue. Seriously, dude.

And, obviously, it's spoiler-y.

Link

Thanks, but I'm not clicking the link! I went totally 'off-line' at the end of season 5 and during season 6 and enjoyed it better for having no idea what was happening...I really want the epilogue to be completely unknown to me - I already know too much about it!! lol

You make some good points - and also add to what was said about the others (something like) "if they do it, it's true - if they say it, you have reason to doubt it's true". Unfortunately my memory is not as good as yours (or docs) which is why reading places like this really help me untangle the web (altho I think I got the finale straight off if that post that was removed is correct).

I do wonder if sometimes people just go a bit too deep, like with The Matrix - I enjoyed and understood that - it's also nice to 'delve' into the meanings, but sometimes I read stuff and think they've gone way too far into what everything means (like I feel doc has done with the very end part).

You mention the runway, and this adds weight (IMHO) to the docs 'Island knows all' theory. The runway was for the return of Jack (etc) however at the time they were still on the island - I always knew it was a runway for a plane (assuming a new set of people) - but just now it hit me that it was for an event that only something that could see the future would know it was going to be needed. Also, how could Ben (or anyone) know who 'real' Sawyer was? Even James didn't know...so it must have been the island reading peoples minds...but not only those on the island, as Jacob was seen off the island - when he touched Locke was he 'sending' his memory to the island, and the memory of everyone he was related to/encountered? That way the Island would know who 'real' Sawyer was and what he did to James?

I'm going for a break now! lol

First photo glimpse of the Hurley epilogue. Seriously, dude.

And, obviously, it's spoiler-y.

Link

OMG!!!! I can't believe it!!!! That picture tells so much and yet tells us nothing!!! :angry::w00t:0:):P

Counting the days until the BluRay release. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew Fox was on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night, where they sifted through some of the Complete Collection stuff (they included a blacklight for Easter eggs). There's also a short backstage clip involving Foxy, Jorge and a sandwich.

Part the First

Part the Second

Part the Third

Doc Jensen's third part of The Island = Carrie was supposed to be there a while ago....

As for me, I've still got the idea in my head that Christian Shepard knew what was going to happen for some time. I've cataloged this before in a previous season thread (S5?). But in view of what we were shown in S6, I'm more convinced now than ever.

Let's revisit the Lighthouse. In the mirror for 23- Shepard there was the reflection of Jack's father's house. Now, for all the other candidates, it showed where Jacob touched them (James/Sawyer's was the church, Jin&Sun was the pagoda where they were married), and funny enough we weren't shown the hospital where Jack was touched near the vending machine after the Count to 5 scene. Set up CS as delving into the drink as a way of dealing with his Island Enlightenment. Perhaps Jacob came to CS, perhaps CS was enlightened by contact with someone w/in the framework; but how it happened doesn't matter as much as that it happened. He knows that fate is totally in control, whatever's meant to happen will happen, so why not sit back and get sloshed? When CS was talking about "not having what it takes" a lot of people took that as him talking directly to Jack and being a terrible father. I... I see the relationship quite differently. In some ways you can contrast it to Eloise Hawking's relationship with Daniel Faraday. In "White Rabbit" (that was the one that started with young Jack getting beat up for defending Mark Silverman) there is a tropical photograph framed in Christian's study. There's also a weird sense from the scene in S5 with Jack's grandfather, like Ray had some knowledge of what was going to happen. And it just seems right considering that CS is the one who Jack needed to connect with to finally let go all the things that Fate had to do to "fulfill the book" to borrow from Bob Marley.

Link

If anyone is interested, here is a link to that Lost DVD extra, the epilogue with Ben and Hurley...

wow that was cool thx for the link. Won't say anything for a bit so as not to spoilerize, but wonder how long that will stay up?

EDIT!!!!!!! Now only has last two minutes of the clip..still cool, but just want to warn people if they want to wait to watch the clip in its entirety

Link

If anyone is interested, here is a link to that Lost DVD extra, the epilogue with Ben and Hurley...

wow that was cool thx for the link. Won't say anything for a bit so as not to spoilerize, but wonder how long that will stay up?

WOW! HOLY ****!

i told myself id wait, and made it about 5 minutes before i caved. that was awesome. thanks for the link!

WOW! HOLY ****!

i told myself id wait, and made it about 5 minutes before i caved. that was awesome. thanks for the link!

But no need to wait really..that looks like the whole shootin match no? Guess if you want 5.1 sound or something, but I would advise everybody to go there before its takem down and all you can do is HEAR about it till the 24th

I was expecting / hoping for a series of shorts like the 'mobisodes' from a few seasons ago, that would give us a peek on what happened to our characters after Jack died.

The ending of it leaves the door wide open for the future, if TPTB decide to go for it. Vouchsafe that they'll let some time pass.

The LOST prop auction is scheduled for 21-22 August, with a lot of nice items. Despite the many tags of expected bids of "$200-$300" there are some serious lowballs and probably will all be too much for me to even think about bidding. Also, with that first clip, some of the doubts about being able to make any kind of sequel after getting rid of so many of the props is much less dire. Hurley's reign really starts fresh... minus the VW van.

Waiting for the DHARMA failsafe key to be included on some more reputable shopping sites. And I think I'm going to be trying to make a large ankh (e.g. the one in the guitar case) to put on my wall.

not really LOST news, but kinda LOST related:

http://www.spinner.com/2010/08/09/weezer-hurley-album-cover/

Weezer has announced the name and album art for their debut album on Epitaph records. The album name is "Hurley", the artwork... pretty self-explanatory.

I was just about to post that.

Rivers Cuomo went to my high school. About 10 years before my time, tho.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had time to check the auction prices for a few items I had my eye on. Maybe if they're on eBay someday and I've hit the lotto.... I'm going to be making my own wall-worthy ankh and there are a couple of places to get a Swan failsafe key. I read that Daniel Faraday's journal sold for $27,500. Wow.

Will be picking up the S6 DVDs next time we get out that way. The complete set looks cool (and I've read that there is a very carefully hidden disc unavailable elsewhere that has some extra featurettes), but having bought the discs all along, it doesn't make sense for me right now. Would love to have them in Blu-ray at some point, tho.

I've also read a few things recently.

- On Jorge Garcia's final podcast last week, he apparently revealed that it was Hurley's voice saying the numbers that brought the French team to the island c. 1988. I don't remember if they even had a voice saying them in that Jin timeflash, but that's something to go back and listen for in the re-watch.

- The Complete Collection includes a page from the Black Rock journal. It reads, "Only one returned alive. He seems in a deep shock, muttering about exchanging musket fire with another vessel which promptly disappeared in a flash of heavenly light." Answer on who Juliet fired at with the M-1 during the time flashes when they were in the outrigger.

- Someone had a little too much time on their hands.A complete list of the mysteries --- what was answered (in LOST canon form, including TNMIC) and what remains mystery.

- Following from the epilogue "The New Man in Charge" I think this lends even more credence to the idea that Jacob is the one who brought about the DHARMA Initiative. The Island Protector is the ultimate head of DHARMA. Yes, they fought with the Others who followed Jacob. Yes, it seems disingenuous that this would be Jacob's way. But it was also Jacob's way to "push" gently --- to start things w/o getting too involved with the particulars and let things play out as they will through human choice. Therefore, DHARMA was funded by Hanso with the De Groots, the Others consisted of island inhabitants that got periodic messages through Richard, Ilana's group came to protect Jacob and the candidates, and Widmore came after "being shown the error of my ways" by Jacob shortly after the freighter explosion. Point of DHARMA and the Others was to (using MIB's words) push the candidates to the island and produce the experiences on the island that would bring them to where they needed to be. All of these groups were to "fulfill de book" as the Bob Marley song reference went.

- The Complete Collection includes a page from the Black Rock journal. It reads, "Only one returned alive. He seems in a deep shock, muttering about exchanging musket fire with another vessel which promptly disappeared in a flash of heavenly light." Answer on who Juliet fired at with the M-1 during the time flashes when they were in the outrigger.

bull ****....no way is that right...

Hurley on his podcast also says that it was Ben and FLOCKE on the trailing boat

bull ****....no way is that right...

Hurley on his podcast also says that it was Ben and FLOCKE on the trailing boat

i thought it was widmore and whats-her-name-scientist when they were coming over to the main island?!? thought i also remembered reading the producers saying they shot the scene (with widmore and scientist) but they couldnt cram the footage into the show??

stop messing with my mind, LOST! this is supposed to be over!! :thumbsup:

Well, LOST didn't get any Emmy love last night, besides those in attendance who amped up the cheering during the respective nominee lists. It was #1 in a lot of people's hearts.

Apparently not the ones that matter, tho.... as they went toward more conventional drama. And I can at least understand that. Dramas involving the supernatural / sci-fi / spiritual historically don't win many awards from the academy (LOTR only won major categories in its final installment, a deferred testament to the work as a whole). Winning Best Drama for S1 was probably enough in most voters' minds. They'd rather vote for the conventional, where they do their work than usher in more sci-fi to their idiom.

There's the adage that "just to be nominated is validation enough." And I think that applies moreso for LOST than just about any other show. To all the people who grumbled about the finale and how it was executed, you can point to 12 nods among people who make TV for a living saying, 'This was one of the best of the year.'

I can understand them not winning, tho. It happens. Michael Emerson didn't have much screen-time or as juicy bits and Terry O'Quinn was hard to feel close to as MIB/FLocke. Matthew Fox's acting is a lot like how Theodore Dreiser's novels are described --- that brick by brick it's not really impressive, until the time when you step back a bit and view the completed structure, that's when the 'Wow' moment comes when you think about the totality of the work. Many shows come and go, many are confined to their era and forgotten... LOST will age well. And I hope that those viewers who were disappointed come back in 5 or 6 years and give it another turn.

Edited by UConn James

Just to add... probably the funniest part of the night was when Jorge Garcia joined in on the opening skit. Seemed like the place erupted at that moment. Then, there was Jimmy Fallon's farewell covers, which used "Time of Your Life" the song that I wrote a while back best summed up the LOST experience.

There were some good bits on the DarkUFO site, where a few of the best episode commentators were invited to answer some of the most burning "unresolved mystery" items from a poll on that site. I really recommend this. I really dig Robz888's answer on the question of Walt --- that Walt (and, probably all of the Island's protectors) always had certain powers that belong to the Island's protector. Case in point: How it stopped raining almost immediately when Michael said he's try to find Vincent when it stopped raining. And the argument that Walt will likely take over from Hurley. Full agreement here.

Also, another note I read last week... The intentions coming into the season apparently had been to reveal Ilana as Jacob's actual daughter. It was deemed that there was not really enough time to make this happen to any degree of satisfaction. So it was left that Ilana described Jacob as being "like a father to me."

Picked up the S6 DVDs today. It's probably the last TV show I will ever be doing this for. For me, tho, having this series on the bookshelf is like the need to have Shakespeare and a Merriam-Webster/ Don't know when I'm going to get to it. Still giving it some digestion and separation time. Also trying to work through several seasons of another show via online at the moment.

Still awaiting the promised Doc Jensen column....

Edited by UConn James

Just to add... probably the funniest part of the night was when Jorge Garcia joined in on the opening skit. Seemed like the place erupted at that moment. Then, there was Jimmy Fallon's farewell covers, which used "Time of Your Life" the song that I wrote a while back best summed up the LOST experience.

There were some good bits on the DarkUFO site, where a few of the best episode commentators were invited to answer some of the most burning "unresolved mystery" items from a poll on that site. I really recommend this. I really dig Robz888's answer on the question of Walt --- that Walt (and, probably all of the Island's protectors) always had certain powers that belong to the Island's protector. Case in point: How it stopped raining almost immediately when Michael said he's try to find Vincent when it stopped raining. And the argument that Walt will likely take over from Hurley. Full agreement here.

Also, another note I read last week... The intentions coming into the season apparently had been to reveal Ilana as Jacob's actual daughter. It was deemed that there was not really enough time to make this happen to any degree of satisfaction. So it was left that Ilana described Jacob as being "like a father to me."

Picked up the S6 DVDs today. It's probably the last TV show I will ever be doing this for. For me, tho, having this series on the bookshelf is like the need to have Shakespeare and a Merriam-Webster/ Don't know when I'm going to get to it. Still giving it some digestion and separation time. Also trying to work through several seasons of another show via online at the moment.

Still awaiting the promised Doc Jensen column....

ill check out the darkufo link, always good stuff on that site. im just sad i didnt know about it until the last season.

i just got back from Best Buy this morning where i picked up the Bluray boxset. had some gift cards and a store credit or else id be kicking myself for having spent almost $260 on it. i feel the same way. its simply a must-have for me, right up there with plenty of classic books on my shelf. waiting until lunch time to open it and dig through all the stuff...

Ah...its good to be back in my old Lostie haunt. Hope everyone had a great summer. It's odd being back in here and trying to get the brain back into a Lost-mode. I think I suffered a bit of Lost-analysis burnout a while back, but I think I'm ready to get back into it.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit to pick up the big Lost six pack. That's ok though...the time off will do me good, plus I'll probably start off from the very beginning and right it right on through to the end.

I do love Weezer's new album name and cover. :thumbsup: