Plantar fasciitis...anyone familiar with this?

The Poojer

I know it has been in the news alot via eli manning etc....i may be 'suffering' from it and have been for a couple months...recently got back to trying jogging, trying to work through the pain...i have been also trying to do more stretching excersizes directed at that part of the foot and lower leg....am i doing damage by jogging, or will this kind of help in the stretching...i am not jogging any distance at all as i am just getting used to it....someone has mentioned a tennis ball under the arch and stretching it that way....my main concern is giving up the jogging as i really want to stick with it in hopes of doing a 10K in april....if anyone has any personal expertise i would appreciate it...i have looked on line for info, just want to hear from those that may have gone through it...thanks in advance

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dealt with this a few years ago. When I described the pain and when it occurred the Dr knew exactly what it was. He had me start wearing shoes with heels instead of the flip flops I love. I did that for a few months and it went away. Motrin helped also.

but am i hurting it by running? do i need to give it a rest to heal itself? that is my main concern

I dealt with this a few years ago. When I described the pain and when it occurred the Dr knew exactly what it was. He had me start wearing shoes with heels instead of the flip flops I love. I did that for a few months and it went away. Motrin helped also.

I wonder if that would work for my broken ankle...

but am i hurting it by running? do i need to give it a rest to heal itself? that is my main concern

More commonly know as a heal spur, I had it several years ago, also ran a lot. Had 3 cortisone shots, Dr. said ideally I should notice the about 1/3 of the pain disappear with each shot. Worked pretty much according that plan. Note that this form of treatment treats the symptons, not the cause. Still it has been close to 10 years since my last shot and the pain has not returned. The heal plate in a different post also treats the symptons, only way to get rid of it is to have it removed.

Running pounds on everything. Not sure if this has a permanent negative effect but it sure inflames it in the short term. While I still go for the occassional 5 mile run (once a month or so) without aggravating the foot, I generally use the non impact cardio equipment at the gym these days. Let pain be your guide, might want to find an alternate way of getting your cardio if running aggravates the symptons.

without checking i don't think there is anything to be removed...i was under the impression that plantar faciitis is a swelling of some tissue...not spurs of bone...course i could be and probably am wrong

edit......

...and I am wrong(kind of)

Patients and doctors often confuse the terms heel spur and plantar fasciitis. While these two diagnoses are related, they are not the same. Plantar fasciitis refers to the inflammation of the plantar fascia--the tissue that forms the arch of the foot. A heel spur is a hook of bone that can form on the heel bone (calcaneus) and is associated with plantar fasciitis.

About 70 percent of patients with plantar fasciitis have a heel spur that can be seen on an X-ray. However, many patients without symptoms of pain can have a heel spur.

More commonly know as a heal spur, I had it several years ago, also ran a lot. Had 3 cortisone shots, Dr. said ideally I should notice the about 1/3 of the pain disappear with each shot. Worked pretty much according that plan. Note that this form of treatment treats the symptons, not the cause. Still it has been close to 10 years since my last shot and the pain has not returned. The heal plate in a different post also treats the symptons, only way to get rid of it is to have it removed.

Running pounds on everything. Not sure if this has a permanent negative effect but it sure inflames it in the short term. While I still go for the occassional 5 mile run (once a month or so) without aggravating the foot, I generally use the non impact cardio equipment at the gym these days. Let pain be your guide, might want to find an alternate way of getting your cardio if running aggravates the symptons.

You're not hurting it by running, it's just hurting you. I had it and got a dexamethasone/bupivacaine injection from a podiatrist I work with that did wonders.

That's it exactly. Mine wasn't an all day thing, mostly early morning. The good thing is it actually will go away with time on it's own. Are you on your feet a lot? If so I would recommend getting a pair of these, pricey but worth every penny. :P

I'm on my feet teaching 6-7 hours a day 4-5 days a week and swear by them.

Plantar fasciitis is "flat feet".The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous band of tissue originating on the bottom surface of the calcaneus (heel bone) and extending along the sole of the foot towards the five toes.

Bone spurs are calcium deposits in tendons (such as the achilles tendon).

My wife had it last year. She plays tennis quite a bit. She did all the stretches several times a day - pointing the toes in, leaning into the wall with her legs back, etc. She also got the special inserts for her shoes to provide better arch support. Nothing really worked. In the end, it just took several weeks of taking it easy. To this day, she makes sure to do the stretching exercises and wears the shoe inserts. Luckily it hasn't come back. But it was quite painful for her.

I'm not a medical doctor, but from her experience, I would say that running will only aggravate your condition. I'd give it a week or 2 rest and see how it feels then.

Thanks for bringing up this issue. I have to call the doctor now.

I have had heel issues this fall and thought that once refereeing ended,

the heel would feel better. The pain is reduced, but the first several

steps in the AM are killers. And I am on my feet at work, except for

when I am here on TSW.

that is one of the key indicators that it is plantar faciitis...according to everything i read

..who needs universal health care, we just need to educate everyone how to use the internet to self diagnosis...that would cut out a crap load of doctors visits

Thanks for bringing up this issue. I have to call the doctor now.

I have had heel issues this fall and thought that once refereeing ended,

the heel would feel better. The pain is reduced, but the first several

steps in the AM are killers. And I am on my feet at work, except for

when I am here on TSW.

• 5 months later...

Poojer...Did you ever run that 10K you mentioned?

I went to the Doc and she offered a stretching regime, that after time has reduced

the pain and discomfort. I have taken Aleve and that seems to help too.

Rolling the tennis ball with the bottom of the foot also works.

But the best suggestion has come from the wife of a co-worker.

She is a runner, competing in many local races.

She suggested to sleep with a shoe on the affected foot.

Mrs. Lew was skeptical at first, but the first steps in the

AM are not painful as before.

Last weekend was THE tester as I refereed 8 soccer matches

at a tournament. Monday AM was fine.

Hopefully this combination of treatments will work as

I am already planning for HS refereeing this Fall.

Plantar fasciitis is "flat feet".The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous band of tissue originating on the bottom surface of the calcaneus (heel bone) and extending along the sole of the foot towards the five toes.

Bone spurs are calcium deposits in tendons (such as the achilles tendon).

No it is not. I have flat feet (seriously flat as a board) and you can't just develop flat feet. You are born with it and trust me, it sucks. It is the reason I had to quit playing soccer and there is nothing I can do for it except orthotics which make it uncomfortable whenever you have shoes on.

Flat feet is a leading cause for plantar fasciitis, but not the other way around. You may have mixed that up or something.

I had it last year and my doctor told me to stay off of my feet for a week, prescribed some vicodin and 600mg ibuprofen. He also gave me a pamphlet on some stretches. I haven't had a problem since.

I know it has been in the news alot via eli manning etc....i may be 'suffering' from it and have been for a couple months...recently got back to trying jogging, trying to work through the pain...i have been also trying to do more stretching excersizes directed at that part of the foot and lower leg....am i doing damage by jogging, or will this kind of help in the stretching...i am not jogging any distance at all as i am just getting used to it....someone has mentioned a tennis ball under the arch and stretching it that way....my main concern is giving up the jogging as i really want to stick with it in hopes of doing a 10K in april....if anyone has any personal expertise i would appreciate it...i have looked on line for info, just want to hear from those that may have gone through it...thanks in advance

I have reason to believe that I had it 2 years ago. In December of 08, I changed my diet and began walking. I have now

lost 65 lbs and walk 3 miles 4-6 times a week. As the weight came off and the miles piled up, the morning pain went away. At the beginning, the thing that helped the most was standing on a wash rag while in the shower each morning.

It helped ease the initial morning pain.