Plantar fasciitis...anyone familiar with this?

The Poojer

This is cured by the following.....

- Rest

- Wearing the proper footwear....and this may include getting your feet looked at to see if you need a little MORE help in that area with special inserts for your shoes

- Stretches to strengthen certain muscles and create more limberness in certain tendons in the area.

My linebacker soon has problems with this in his early years of football and could never figure out why till someone was nice enough and come along to offer that advice.....he never had a problem with it the years all the way up to now even though he trained like a madman for several of those years.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did not run the 10K as I came up with too many useless excuses not to, as usual...talked to my doctor and asked him if taking aspirin to ease the pain would cause any damage...basically told me the risks were fairly minimal....told me if you can deal with the pain, then deal with it....i do notice it is getting a bit less painful as i try to jog on it....hopefully i am stretching the tendon slowly enough to get it more pliable.....we'll see

As a podiatrist all i can suggest you see a podiatrist!

Plantar fasciitis is often misdiagnosed as any of a number of rearfoot complaints, the aetiology of which is often vary different and therefore leading to varying management techniques.

For example: Heel spur, heel spur sundrome, plantar fasciitis, enthesopathy, medial plantar calcaneal nerve entrapment, tendinopathy- particular EDB muscle, long or short plantar ligament tear, Dupytren's contracture....

Yep, there's a reason there's a profession looking at feet!

I am going through my second bout with plantar fasciitis. It has been about five months now for the recent onset (different foot). No to the running and yes to the rest. Cycle instead of run. Definitely stretch (carefully). I bought some new cross trainers a few weeks back and I felt better immediately. I still feel the cramps after getting out of bed and after getting up from sitting for a while. It is still there but getting better. I would think that orthotics would help. In my case, I have an abnormal pronation and deformed metatarsals. It is frustrating because I love to run, jump rope and run the stairs. Life Cycle and Stairmaster have had to replace the old regime. I have heard about the tennis ball exercise but haven't yet applied the practice.

Be patient, rest, consider buying some comfy shoes and / or orthotics and stretch. Good Luck!

I know it has been in the news alot via eli manning etc....i may be 'suffering' from it and have been for a couple months...recently got back to trying jogging, trying to work through the pain...i have been also trying to do more stretching excersizes directed at that part of the foot and lower leg....am i doing damage by jogging, or will this kind of help in the stretching...i am not jogging any distance at all as i am just getting used to it....someone has mentioned a tennis ball under the arch and stretching it that way....my main concern is giving up the jogging as i really want to stick with it in hopes of doing a 10K in april....if anyone has any personal expertise i would appreciate it...i have looked on line for info, just want to hear from those that may have gone through it...thanks in advance

had it a few years ago after running a 15k in Tampa (fun race, the Gasparilla I think is its name). The doc told me no running for six months (dam near killed me and I put on a ton of weight.) My godchild who was a serious runner at Binghamton told me an exercise that you do on stairs, and recommende not so much a tennis ball, but frozen soda cans to roll on the inside of your foot. Stretching and rest seem to be the key to getting rid of it, but believe me it seems to take forever.

• 1 year later...

bringing up an old thread.....i had been sufferring for several months to the point that i quit my normal morning walking/jogging running routine...finally gave in and went to a podiatrist...he took x-rays and it did show a slight spur in my right heel and also he said it was PF. He gave me a cortisone shot and it hurt like a mother f***er....he also gave me shoe inserts and a couple foot splints for sleeping....after 2 days the cortisone kicked in and the lack of pain is truly amazing(i know its not cured yet), yesterday i got on the treadmill and jogged non-stop for 35 minutes and it felt great....even more amazing...i still feel great this morning....

the pain had really discouraged me from continuing my exercise routine which i was doing well with...if anyone is sufferring from foot/heel pain...go to a foot doctor asap...the pain of the cortisone shot is soooooooooooooo worth it.......

After wearing the shoes to bed , this issue has been

an non-issue for me. I had a great refereeing

season (50 matches) and the PF issue has not occurred.

Hope you are doing better and can get back to your

jogging / running regime.

did you get the cortisone shot or was it strictly the splints at night?

After wearing the shoes to bed , this issue has been

an non-issue for me. I had a great refereeing

season (50 matches) and the PF issue has not occurred.

Hope you are doing better and can get back to your

jogging / running regime.

I had this problem last year after increasing my mileage. Make sure your running shoes fit your arch type. I have high arches and the pair I was wearing didn't support the arch enough. Rest and stretching is the best way to heal it quickly. I found rolling my foot on a stress buster ball made by select, as I worked at my desk. Keep up with the running and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

another update...supposed to go back to the doctor, i imagine it is too follow up and probably get another cortisone shot....gonna defer to the doctors expertise, but i am not sure i need another shot...its been 4 weeks...the past few weeks have been running the treadmill every other day and am doing 40 minutes non-stop...granted at a very leisurely pace, but i started at 30 minutes, went to 40 minutes and have been increasing the speed very gradually each time...ZERO pain.....I am so excited about these results....who knows....i may actually stick with it this time instead of being discouraged by the pain.....

try rolling a frozen soda on the bottom of the feet and foot lifts standing on a chair. Running is NOT advisable as exercise and rest are the cure for the most part. I ran a 15k in Tampa (the Gasparilla) and it ended up being my last race as the condition only slowly improved. I'd have liked the shots mentioned earlier, but he podiatrist didn't bring them up at the time.

another update...supposed to go back to the doctor, i imagine it is too follow up and probably get another cortisone shot....gonna defer to the doctors expertise, but i am not sure i need another shot...its been 4 weeks...the past few weeks have been running the treadmill every other day and am doing 40 minutes non-stop...granted at a very leisurely pace, but i started at 30 minutes, went to 40 minutes and have been increasing the speed very gradually each time...ZERO pain.....I am so excited about these results....who knows....i may actually stick with it this time instead of being discouraged by the pain.....

Pooj -

Good job on the treadmill work. Any thoughts on using a stationary bike? Less load impact. Have my road bike on a trainer and put 1 hour in every other day - soaking wet at the end. Hot yoga? Your sweat has sweat.

i'm just using the treadmill and the universal gym here at work...i am doing the treadmill because i want to overcome my inability to run, so i am being very pig headed....i've been starting and stopping for too long, mainly because the next morning i couldn't walk without using the walls to guide me....with that out of the way, i have a new outlook on it...i hate running, but I want to get over that hatred.....now if i can only learn to not focus on how long i've been at it....and yeah i cover up the display, take my glasses off so i can't see the clock, listen to Stern or Dead so as to not count out the traditional 4-5 minute songs...but i am obsessed with the clock at this point.....(PSA....typing 'obsessed with the clock' can lead to very unintended consequences....)

Pooj -

Good job on the treadmill work. Any thoughts on using a stationary bike? Less load impact. Have my road bike on a trainer and put 1 hour in every other day - soaking wet at the end. Hot yoga? Your sweat has sweat.

• 1 year later...

worst flare up to date today....laying in bed my left heel/achilles was just in incredible pain....got up and could barely stand...normally i can walk it off and within ten steps i would be fine...not this morning....my goodness is this uncomfortable....

This will sound weird but I had it as a teen playing football. I was told by a pediatric Dr. to make a wood wedge thing, 30 degrees and stand on it (point towards the wall) against a wall for 1/2 hour a day (to stretch it out sort of) worked like a charm. Plus was a fun project for a 13 year old. I have always had incredibly flat feet (have more like a bump than an arch really) find shoes that are truly comfortable. I still get pain from some brands but ones with a wide berth and small arch seem to be best with me. It is always the shoe, IMHO that makes the pain. I have bought 200$ Nikes and had to give them away before. Here in Thailand I wear flops most the time that cost 10$ at Tesco (like 7/11) and i am good. Some work shoes I have had here sucked eggs though.

Edited by bowery4

so the wedge causes the heel to be up? my issue is i can bend my foot downward pretty average, but i cannot flex my foot upward past 90 degrees....i am just sitting here right now and my achillies/heel are just throbbing...ouch....

This will sound weird but I had it as a teen playing football. I was told by a pediatric Dr. to make a wood wedge thing, 30 degrees and stand on it (point towards the wall) against a wall for 1/2 hour a day (to stretch it out sort of) worked like a charm. Plus was a fun project for a 13 year old. I have always had incredibly flat feet (have more like a bump than an arch really) find shoes that are truly comfortable. I still get pain from some brands but ones with a wide berth and small arch seem to be best with me. It is always the shoe, IMHO that makes the pain. I have bought 200$ Nikes and had to give them away before. Here in Thailand I wear flops most the time that cost 10$ at Tesco (like 7/11) and i am good. Some work shoes I have had here sucked eggs though.