Chances TO signs an extension in '10?

CosmicBills

It's early for this, I know. And I know people on the board are pretty divided about how they really feel about TO wearing a buffalo on his helmet. However, I'm curious what people think TO would need to do in order for the Bills to make a (serious) offer to retain TO in '10, or what the Bills need to do in order for TO to want to come back.

My (worthless) two cents on the situation:

Yes, TO drops balls. But he also gets open more than any WR we've had on this roster since Andre Reed retired. I personally think that TO has gotten a bad wrap as far as his on and off the field blowups have gone -- yes, some of them have been his own doing but others have been the media spinning things in a negative way (especially in Dallas and since he's been here in Buffalo). It's a shame that the Bills have not had a good enough O-Line or consistent enough play from their QBs to get him the ball more this year. I think during the past two games TO has shown he has gas in the tank and would be a valuable weapon to have on this team in '10 -- especially if the Bills do go out and get a rookie/franchise-type QB to groom for the future. I believe the Bills absolutely should make a play to retain him in '10.

From the Bills' perspective, I think they will make an offer to retain him. It makes sense when you look at how the WR corps will shake out in the off season. Josh Reed will be a UFA, and the Bills have banished Johnson and Hardy to the inactive list so much this season that it's really impossible to tell what, if anything, they can offer in '10 as far as being the number 2 guy behind Lee -- or the number 3 guy in the slot. They have too many holes to address in the draft to warrant using a high draft pick on another WR. So that leaves FA. And personally, I think TO will once again be the best available WR on the Free Agent market ... though admittedly, I'm not too familiar with who will be available from other teams. Considering all those factors, I think the Bills will make an offer to keep him -- but I'm not certain it will be enough to convince him to stay.

From TO's perspective, I always felt he was going to use his time in Buffalo to audition for a 3-4 year deal from a contending club. I think he's tired of being in Buffalo -- not as far as the city or fans go, but he wants to play for a winning club. The only way I think he will consider coming back to the Bills is if they make a serious commitment to a top coach and QB in the off season. There's a chance that if they keep Perry (doubtful) and get a great GM in here to make personnel moves he could be convinced to stay, but at the very least it's going to take a 4 year deal worth 30 million. And that might be low.

If TO leaves, and I feel it's a highly likely he will (call it 85%), the Bills will have to scramble to fill yet another hole when frankly, they should be focusing on the OL, DL, LB, QB spots instead.

So what say the folks here on TSW? What do you think it will take, from the Bills perspective and from TO's perspective to keep him in the fold? Or do you think the Bills would be better served letting him go elsewhere?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it'll depend on the coach but if no one wants him like they did last year, why not! This way we don't need to worry about getting another WR this offseason. One less need off the list.

2 years, $14 mil is reasonable. he goes out on his terms at age 38 with some extra change in his pocket. if his career numbers suffer its cause the bills suck and if they stay aroud 1000yds and 6tds then it solidifies is skill. I'd love to see him here another season or two. his work ethic and swagger are something this team is GREATLY lacking. heck, even Evans celebrates a little now. It's nice to see.

I sure hope he does stick around for another year or two. Now that he is actually being used he is becoming a game changer. 2 50yd+ TDs in 2 games? that's nothing to throw away for personal reasons. I think he likes being a big fish in a small pond, as it were. I would imagine a commitment to creating a playoff/super bowl team during the offseason will placate any of TOs other concerns. And, if nothing else, he has been charged up the last couple weeks. I think he's into it, and I say we absolutely try to lock him up.

Sorry, had too many beers to read all of this. I would just like to say that I would like to see him back. He can play and has passion. Also, he really has "restrained" himself or at least has shown that he is a football player. I like his attitude and in my opinion based on what I have seen of him, he is a positive influence. He can play. He is a threat at WR. Why dispose of someone like that?

He has not been half as "entertaining" as I thought he would be. In fact, he's surprised me with his passion for the game and desire to make plays. Has he shown he's human? Absolutely, but I think he is a good influence on the game being in Buffalo.

It's early for this, I know. And I know people on the board are pretty divided about how they really feel about TO wearing a buffalo on his helmet. However, I'm curious what people think TO would need to do in order for the Bills to make a (serious) offer to retain TO in '10, or what the Bills need to do in order for TO to want to come back.

My (worthless) two cents on the situation:

Yes, TO drops balls. But he also gets open more than any WR we've had on this roster since Andre Reed retired. I personally think that TO has gotten a bad wrap as far as his on and off the field blowups have gone -- yes, some of them have been his own doing but others have been the media spinning things in a negative way (especially in Dallas and since he's been here in Buffalo). It's a shame that the Bills have not had a good enough O-Line or consistent enough play from their QBs to get him the ball more this year. I think during the past two games TO has shown he has gas in the tank and would be a valuable weapon to have on this team in '10 -- especially if the Bills do go out and get a rookie/franchise-type QB to groom for the future. I believe the Bills absolutely should make a play to retain him in '10.

From the Bills' perspective, I think they will make an offer to retain him. It makes sense when you look at how the WR corps will shake out in the off season. Josh Reed will be a UFA, and the Bills have banished Johnson and Hardy to the inactive list so much this season that it's really impossible to tell what, if anything, they can offer in '10 as far as being the number 2 guy behind Lee -- or the number 3 guy in the slot. They have too many holes to address in the draft to warrant using a high draft pick on another WR. So that leaves FA. And personally, I think TO will once again be the best available WR on the Free Agent market ... though admittedly, I'm not too familiar with who will be available from other teams. Considering all those factors, I think the Bills will make an offer to keep him -- but I'm not certain it will be enough to convince him to stay.

From TO's perspective, I always felt he was going to use his time in Buffalo to audition for a 3-4 year deal from a contending club. I think he's tired of being in Buffalo -- not as far as the city or fans go, but he wants to play for a winning club. The only way I think he will consider coming back to the Bills is if they make a serious commitment to a top coach and QB in the off season. There's a chance that if they keep Perry (doubtful) and get a great GM in here to make personnel moves he could be convinced to stay, but at the very least it's going to take a 4 year deal worth 30 million. And that might be low.

If TO leaves, and I feel it's a highly likely he will (call it 85%), the Bills will have to scramble to fill yet another hole when frankly, they should be focusing on the OL, DL, LB, QB spots instead.

So what say the folks here on TSW? What do you think it will take, from the Bills perspective and from TO's perspective to keep him in the fold? Or do you think the Bills would be better served letting him go elsewhere?

0% I wish I thought there was a chance he would stay. The Bills will make an offer and he will decline. I just hope he gets out of the AFC

Frankly, I have never seen a WR that is wide open as much as TO. I have said it over and over and I think the last two weeks proves it, with any kind if QB play, TO would be leading the league in touchdowns. Its amazing how how he still just runs away from people all day long.

I sit in section 123, and Owens separated from Vontae Davis with ease, which is no small feat for a 35-36 year old receiver. Being old school, it's hard to accept some of the antics TO demonstrates. But I must say he's someone that opponents must respect, because he's excellent in the open field and represents a guy who can still make plays.

At this point, he should be in their plans for 2010.

He will ask for and get $20+M for two years from an organization that wants to win. The Bills organization hasn't wanted to win in a long long time, it has only tried to sell tickets which is why they signed TO. Now they will put on a we want to win face but we will not get TO to swallow that BS this time around. Personally i like TO and his attitude and passion. Wish Lee and a few others could catch TO's passion.

I'd like to see him return, but I think the odds of that happening are just slightly better than zero. He's not going to want to take the chance that the Bills offense craps out yet again and that he's stuck with another mediocre statistical season. He'll be gone the first chance he gets and I can't say that I blame him at all.

This may sound odd but it has less to do with what the Bills or TO wants. I think it has all to do with what the rest of the NFL teams want. Would the NY Giants want TO now - hell yes? What about the Ravens? If there is a contending team lacking a wide-out that wants TO he is gone. If noone wants to sign him then the Bills have a decent chance if the new coaching staff is to his liking.

Frankly, I have never seen a WR that is wide open as much as TO. I have said it over and over and I think the last two weeks proves it, with any kind if QB play, TO would be leading the league in touchdowns. Its amazing how how he still just runs away from people all day long.

Without a doubt, the best player on the team (I know I sound like a broken record w/regard to this). He's got amazing footwork -- that's what gets him open so often. Why not franchise him?