A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

Here's what I like about Fewell, Bill: He understands that if you treat these guys like football players during the week, they won't forget who they are come Sunday afternoon. There's no other sport, IMO, where it's more critical to maintain a consistent idea of who you are and what you're striving to obtain. The toughest, meanest, grittiest men in Buffalo on Sundays should be on the field of the Ralph....not in the bleachers.

Go Bills, and Go Perry!!!

:flirt:

2) With all of the little shrimps on the Bills, I am thinking that we should have someone with more speed returning kickoffs. Call me crazy.

9) Who would you rather have on your team, Leodis McKelvin or Drayton Florence? Be honest. I really hope to get some responses to this question.

I think 9 and 2 are directly linked Bill. To be honest, they could get away with starting Lankster at KR, with his experience at WVU. But Leodis when healthy (and playing smart) was one of the best returners in the history of college fb and a darn good one for us.

At corner if we play him like Fewell has started to play Drayton post Jauron (pressing, even if he's playing a zone) we'll see a more aggressive and more productive Leodis @ cb.

I can certainly find philosophical fault with selecting DB's (and Lynch, Losman, and Parrish) as high as we have given our barely adequate lines, but it really is a seperate issue unrelated to Florence. No?

They tie in, but we are pretty much on the same page.

We gave Florence a nice contract before and after signing and drafting 1,000 other defensive backs. The secondary is OK no matter how many players get hurt yet the OL has sucked for more than a decade. The DL isn't all that either, and we play in the elements.

Our record is indicative of the idiocy displayed by the Levy/Jauron method of building a football team.

2) With all of the little shrimps on the Bills, I am thinking that we should have someone with more speed returning kickoffs. Call me crazy.

You are crazy. :flirt:

I agree with #2 AND I would add the Bills need someone to receive a punt. Roscoe is a maroon.

I have to say I really enjoyed this game today!

They tie in, but we are pretty much on the same page.

We gave Florence a nice contract before and after signing and drafting 1,000 other defensive backs. The secondary is OK no matter how many players get hurt yet the OL has sucked for more than a decade. The DL isn't all that either, and we play in the elements.

Our record is indicative of the idiocy displayed by the Levy/Jauron method of building a football team.

Bill, what were the best years in the Bills history?

To be fair, that's exactly what the FO did back in August.

Not exactly. At the time, Florence was still something of an unknown. He had some success early in his career, then not so much last year. It was a solid signing for certain, but mostly now in hindsight.

If the FO knew before the season that he would play this well, who knows if they would have paid what he would have been asking.

The real key is: now that he's proven himself this season, will the FO pay to keep him around?

There is no need for McKelvin to be on this team. 80 guys in the secondary are hurt and they are doing OK. Florence might even be better than McKelvin. We could have drafted a real # 11.

I see what you're saying, but IMO that ship has sailed. By all accounts, Jauron had significant influence on the makeup of the roster; and, we drafted a ton of DBs. Consequently, this team is poor in many other areas, losing, and Jauron is gone.

So, yes, we could have drafted someone else. But, today, that means little. McKelvin is on the team and it'll be up to the future coaching staff to determine if he should say. For me, until the day he's cut, I'll suppoort him and hope he does well.

I guess I just don't understand the constant ragging on players because our FO drafted them. It's not the players fault they were selected by the Bills. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were just as upset about it as you.

Push what? The way I look at it we could have Florence and a real #11 pick such as Ryan Clady or Branden Albert.

That wasn't the question. You asked if we would rather have McKelvin or Florence. That's easy: McKelvin. You didn't ask if we could have Florence AND Branden Albert or Ryan Clady or McKelvin, that's easy too (you take the former). But don't forget, Florence got badly burned playing man defense in Jacksonville. If we change out of this weak scheme, you might not be seeing Florence with those rose-colored glasses. Leodis can play man, Florence can't. Or not as well, at least. Plus, it's all irrelevant. Hindsight is 20/20. We don't have the option of keeping McKelvin OR Florence and picking up Albert/Clady at this point.

Honestly, it seems like we are so jaded by this front office that it needs to come down to a choice between McKelvin and Florence. A real front office would say that McKelvin has a great future and Florence provides savvy veteran leadership, and would find a way to keep both. Florence would make a very good nickel corner.

Very well put. And with McGee signing an extension, Florence - if retained - will stay in the nickel. The way Reggie Corner played today and the way Youboty seems to be completely irrelevant, he very well might be retained. Not sure, though. Depends on the scheme next year, depends on how the FO likes the current talent.

Honestly, it seems like we are so jaded by this front office that it needs to come down to a choice between McKelvin and Florence. A real front office would say that McKelvin has a great future and Florence provides savvy veteran leadership, and would find a way to keep both. Florence would make a very good nickel corner.

And both will be here next year....Florence is signed to a 2 year contract...and McKelvin still has a few years.

IMO Lynch is a good back. But his strength and conditioning program - just like Poz's - let him down. It's pretty obvious watching him that he's too bulked up. He has gained muscle and lost speed as a result, just like Poz. The explosiveness is gone.

I've wondered about that as well. Lynch even talked about adding weight this summer. And, I agree, he's looked a lot slower all season.

It seemed like everything in the 4th quarter went the Bills way, something that has not happened in a long time. It was good to see. I like that Fitzpatrick took chances down the field. It was fortunate that Miami did not get any points after the turnover late in the first half. Stopping the run still seems to be an issue. I was not watching carefully but where did Ricky Williams run most of his successful plays? It just seemed that everytime that he touched the ball it was at least a 5 yard gain.

up the middle, and through the DE's