A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

1) Wrt that really cool play from the wildcat formation in the late 3rd quarter (the play before the touchdown), it was all about Levitre. If Andy Levitre stays healthy, he is going to be a flat out excellent guard. I'm talking about a long career of solid play. It will be harder to spot than watching a guy like Hutchinson pancaking people but I am telling you, the kid is good and getting better. :flirt:

2) With all of the little shrimps on the Bills, I am thinking that we should have someone with more speed returning kickoffs. Call me crazy.

3) Whitner is played too far back. When he's up close he can make an impact. When he's too far from scrimage he makes a lot of tackles, but AFTER giving up crucial yardage. Whitner has caused me nervous frustration since the day he was drafted but he played well today. It's not his fault he was a number 8.

4) I am ready to proclaim that Fitz will be a good qb if he has a good OL. Remember, a good OL means a running game. The kid has balls of steel and is very easy to like.

5) TO is in better shape than the average 28 year old player.

6) Great pressure by Poz on the first quarter pick.

7) Interesting that the Dolphins game plan involved picking on Draft. It worked for a while too. Draft would make a very good backup lb, but that's about it.

8) There is no way on earth I would have tried a 56 yard field goal. Kudos to Fewell.

9) Who would you rather have on your team, Leodis McKelvin or Drayton Florence? Be honest. I really hope to get some responses to this question.

10) Speaking of Fewell, he is likeable but I'm not convinced yet that he isn't "Jauroned." Make no mistake; I would prefer Shanahan ANY freaking day of the week, but Fewell is a hard guy to dislike.

11) I didn't get to see my daughter Amanda on Thanksgiving and I miss my baby. :D

12) Screw the draft slot; we should probably trade down anyway. The Buffalo Bills football team won a football game today. The weather was great in WNY, and we as a long suffering community were victorious against the dolphins. What's not to like?

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Wrt that really cool play from the wildcat formation in the late 3rd quarter (the play before the touchdown), it was all about Levitre. If Andy Levitre stays healthy, he is going to be a flat out excellent guard. I'm talking about a long career of solid play. It will be harder to spot than watching a guy like Hutchinson pancaking people but I am telling you, the kid is good and getting better. :flirt:

2) With all of the little shrimps on the Bills, I am thinking that we should have someone with more speed returning kickoffs. Call me crazy.

3) Whitner is played too far back. When he's up close he can make an impact. When he's too far from scrimage he makes a lot of tackles, but AFTER giving up crucial yardage. Whitner has caused me nervous frustration since the day he was drafted but he played well today. It's not his fault he was a number 8.

4) I am ready to proclaim that Fitz will be a good qb if he has a good OL. Remember, a good OL means a running game. The kid has balls of steel and is very easy to like.

7) Interesting that the Dolphins game plan involved picking on Draft. It worked for a while too. Draft would make a very good backup lb, but that's about it.

8) There is no way on earth I would have tried a 56 yard field goal. Kudos to Fewell.

9) Who would you rather have on your team, Leodis McKelvin or Drayton Florence? Be honest. I really hope to get some responses to this question.

10) Speaking of Fewell, he is likeable but I'm not convinced yet that he isn't "Jauroned." Make no mistake; I would prefer Shanahan ANY freaking day of the week, but Fewell is a hard guy to dislike.

11) I didn't get to see my daughter Amanda on Thanksgiving and I miss my baby. :D

12) Screw the draft slot; we should probably trade down anyway. The Buffalo Bills football team won a football game today. The weather was great in WNY, and we as a long suffering community were victorious against the dolphins. What's not to like?

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say that's the biggest problem with our entire defense. It's also Poz's problem. The entire defense runs away from the LOS at the snap! They all go back to some spot on the field and wait for the play to come to them. When they're allowed to play up, or even run to the LOS, they usually make a decent play.

So, IMO, much of the criticism Whitner, Poz and most of the defenders get is because of the type of defense they're being coached to play. How many times today did we see them line up 10-15 yards aoof the LOS when it was 3rd and short? It's maddening. Glad to see them turn up the heat when they needed it most.

Honestly, its been so long since I saw McLovin play, I forgot he was on the team. So, I'll say the jury is still very much open on him. He looked ok for a rookie, but he's essentially lost this year. So who knows.

Here's what I like about Fewell, Bill: He understands that if you treat these guys like football players during the week, they won't forget who they are come Sunday afternoon. There's no other sport, IMO, where it's more critical to maintain a consistent idea of who you are and what you're striving to obtain. The toughest, meanest, grittiest men in Buffalo on Sundays should be on the field of the Ralph....not in the bleachers.

Go Bills, and Go Perry!!!

I would say that's the biggest problem with our entire defense. It's also Poz's problem. The entire defense runs away from the LOS at the snap! They all go back to some spot on the field and wait for the play to come to them. When they're allowed to play up, or even run to the LOS, they usually make a decent play.

So, IMO, much of the criticism Whitner, Poz and most of the defenders get is because of the type of defense they're being coached to play. How many times today did we see them line up 10-15 yards aoof the LOS when it was 3rd and short? It's maddening. Glad to see them turn up the heat when they needed it most.

Honestly, its been so long since I saw McLovin play, I forgot he was on the team. So, I'll say the jury is still very much open on him. He looked ok for a rookie, but he's essentially lost this year. So who knows.

Other defenders besides Whitner and Poz get criticized?

Well....I'd say we scored a touchdown.

[quote name='Bill from .

quote]

I think Mc Kelvin is abuot as good as Florence, he runs back kickoffs and has better futre potential.

You got your "thoughts" in early. I always enjoy them.

It seemed like everything in the 4th quarter went the Bills way, something that has not happened in a long time. It was good to see. I like that Fitzpatrick took chances down the field. It was fortunate that Miami did not get any points after the turnover late in the first half. Stopping the run still seems to be an issue. I was not watching carefully but where did Ricky Williams run most of his successful plays? It just seemed that everytime that he touched the ball it was at least a 5 yard gain.

Here's what I like about Fewell, Bill: He understands that if you treat these guys like football players during the week, they won't forget who they are come Sunday afternoon. There's no other sport, IMO, where it's more critical to maintain a consistent idea of who you are and what you're striving to obtain. The toughest, meanest, grittiest men in Buffalo on Sundays should be on the field of the Ralph....not in the bleachers.

Go Bills, and Go Perry!!!

He is easy to like AJ. His defensive philosophy scares the crap out of me based on what I've seen.

1) Agreed on Levitre. Although it's not saying much, he's our best lineman right now.

2) Agreed. Why not have Lankster back there? Parrish wasn't doing anything on kicks, so I don't mind not having him back there anymore, and I don't like having our starting CB (McKelvin) back there (when healthy of course).

4) I like Fitz but he's inconsistent. I don't think he's starting material, personally. I'm curious as to what will happen next year though. I'm sure we're going to draft a QB, be it the first, second, or even third round. Do we carry four QB's? Brohm was brought in as a project, Edwards is signed through 2010 and likely won't be cut outright, Fitz has earned a spot on the team next year.

5) Agreed. I'd love to see T.O. re-signed for one more year, although I doubt it will happen. It's up to the coaching staff and front office to see how ready Hardy/Johnson are to be the #2 WR on this team to then see how seriously they will pursue re-signing Owens.

6) Poz isn't getting the credit on that play, I'm sorry. Ricky Williams just made an awful throw. The Dolphins missed Ronnie Brown on that play more than any other.

8) Agreed! I have to admit I was against it. I didn't have faith in Lindell there, but sitting at the Ralph and being a former kicker (sue me) that was pretty exciting.

9) McKelvin. He's younger, he can return kicks/punts, and Florence was exposed in Jacksonville. I'm glad the way Florence played, but don't push it.

10) Too early to tell. He didn't screw up the clock this game like he did the last game. He used his timeouts correctly at the end of the first half. That's a biggie to me. I think if he wins out he wins the job, but that's going to be very difficult to do.

12) Amen to that. Nobody wants a top-five pick anyhow. Too expensive.

One more thing I'd like to add, is that I thought our line played pretty well today, all things considered. Kendall Simmons looked awful, but the tackles played much better than I expected. Dealing with Porter and Taylor are no simple tasks. I think I heard that Jonathan Scott gave up 2.5 sacks at LT. Certainly not a great performance, but didn't Peters give up multiple sacks last year to Joey Porter, and then leave the game early? Not to make this a Peters thread, but rather that Scott's decent showing against a guy who had over 17 sacks last season might have earned himself a spot as a swing-man on this squad next season. He's young (26) and could certainly improve. I remember watching him on a few plays handle Porter and found myself somewhat impressed.

Honestly, it seems like we are so jaded by this front office that it needs to come down to a choice between McKelvin and Florence. A real front office would say that McKelvin has a great future and Florence provides savvy veteran leadership, and would find a way to keep both. Florence would make a very good nickel corner.

You have to wonder what the record would be if just one change had not been made. The instant Lynch returned to the starting lineup, the team started playing so much worse.

Jackson was 3rd in the NFL in yards/scrimmage at week 4. Lynch has been the picture of suckitude since returning.

Re coaching: Agreed that Fewell is a likable guy but let's not overlook the fact that his defense was getting regularly shredded this season.

Re: Fitz. He has earned a chance to be the backup for 2010. If the Bills draft a young Qb in 2010 and Fitz starts while the young guy learns the ropes, I have no problem with that. Buh-bye Trent. Good guy who refused to take any chances.

Push what? The way I look at it we could have Florence and a real #11 pick such as Ryan Clady or Branden Albert.

yes we could have

especially since Brandon was already conducting his hardball campaign against Peters and a replacement to provide leverage should have been a top priority

Honestly, it seems like we are so jaded by this front office that it needs to come down to a choice between McKelvin and Florence. A real front office would say that McKelvin has a great future and Florence provides savvy veteran leadership, and would find a way to keep both. Florence would make a very good nickel corner.

To be fair, that's exactly what the FO did back in August.

There is no need for McKelvin to be on this team. 80 guys in the secondary are hurt and they are doing OK. Florence might even be better than McKelvin. We could have drafted a real # 11.

Mckelvin was drafted in April 08 b/c greer was a free agent at the end of the 08 season, and Mcgee's contract was up this year until he signed an extension. Pretty sure McK was the highest ranked CB near-unanimously. We just got Florence this year 09. Are your faulting the FO for not acquiring Florence a year earlier (think he was a Free agent then also before signing with Jags) or anticipating his availability the following year? Either way it is a stretch, and all hindsight as you know.

I can certainly find philosophical fault with selecting DB's (and Lynch, Losman, and Parrish) as high as we have given our barely adequate lines, but it really is a seperate issue unrelated to Florence. No?