Fewell is going to complicate the coaching search big time

PromoTheRobot

They could get an OC like Billick . I would spend the Money on a Real GM .

Billick isn't going to come here as an offensive coordinator. It'll almost certainly be a position coach; someone else's QB or WR coach, for example. How well has that worked out for the Bills in the last decade? Not very.

That's ultimately my biggest concern with Fewell or any other defensive minded head coach they might select. I think the number one priority as far as coaching is concerned is to find someone who can install a competent, functional passing attack. It was their biggest need four years ago when Jauron was hired and I'm afraid they're going to make that same mistake all over again. If their offense doesn't make any really significant improvement, it won't be long before we're searching for yet another head coach.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only one game so this post is a tad premature...but when has that stopped anyone from posting here? But I stand by my prediction of 4 wins minimum for Fewell.

So while I am speculating, what would you say to Fewell as HC, Fassell as OC, Haslett as DC, and Randy Mueller, ex-Saints GM, as the GM/Ops guy?

PTR

It's only one game so this post is a tad premature...but when has that stopped anyone from posting here? But I stand by my prediction of 4 wins minimum for Fewell.

So while I am speculating, what would you say to Fewell as HC, Fassell as OC, Haslett as DC, and Randy Mueller, ex-Saints GM, as the GM/Ops guy?

PTR

Like it all except Haslett as DC.His Saints teams defenses sucked.

I have to say, this team has looked very different under Perry, I like that he practiced them in the elements. He also seemed to make second half adjustments, which was unheard of under DJ. He also seems to have allowed AVP to open things up a bit, and in two games under PF, we have seen significant improvement on offense. Lets see if the discipline improves.

absolutely. I love the change in the team these last few weeks. if not for some stupidity, last week would have been a win and today was a terrific performance. Perry has been doing what we have been wanting a HC to do--the team is fired up, they are making big plays, 4Q has not been embarrassing. I'm not 100% willing to say Perry should be our guy as we work on the front office and filling out playing positions. but right now I am slowly warming up to the idea--let's keep an open mind has he works through the rest of the season

Say Fewell wins 5 games, including a win over NE* and he goes 8-8 with a rag tag bunch of street free agents. The Bills are going to have a real hard time picking someone over him. Plus you are going to see a real division between fans wanting to stick with Perry and those who want the marquee hire.

PTR

He has won one game, lets not get carried away and have him winning out, it won't happen. Doesn't take much to get people around here overly excited does it. It was a good game, but it doesn't erase all the problems this team and organization have.

Say Fewell wins 5 games, including a win over NE* and he goes 8-8 with a rag tag bunch of street free agents. The Bills are going to have a real hard time picking someone over him. Plus you are going to see a real division between fans wanting to stick with Perry and those who want the marquee hire.

PTR

There is no validity to this statement at all.

PTR

They keep Fewell and this team will still suck for years. It is past time to cut ties with the wanna be's and get some real coaches in here worth a damn.

I as a fan am so sick of this BS out of some fans. Now that Fewell has had the team beat a crappy Miami team at home one time, now he is the savior. Man you guys have had **** fed to you for so long you think anything else is steak.

PTR

Seriously, you've got to give the guy some credit for getting this group to put forth an effort like they did today with so many starters out of the lineup. It is a good problem to have. I personally have no hang up on needing a big name coach to come in. Just because Jauron, Mularkey, and Williams were mistakes does not mean only a big name coach can succeed here. It just means that the FO has swung and missed -- doesn't mean you have to stop swinging. Fewell might just be the guy. Here's a thought -- wouldn't it just SUCK if we brought in Shanahan and he didn't do so well, but Fewell went on to take ANOTHER team to the playoffs? Yes, that would suck big time. It's too early to pass judgment. Let's see how he finishes the season out, but so far I like what I see. I hope his success continues and that he becomes a legitimate contender to take over permanently.

Seriously, you've got to give the guy some credit for getting this group to put forth an effort like they did today with so many starters out of the lineup. It is a good problem to have.

Indeed. In last week's game, with Fewell being a HC for just a few days, the difference in attitude was apparent. I was left wondering if this was just a new coach- bump that we are seeing. Happily, today we continued playing as such especially the aggressiveness. Honestly, I had lost all emotions for the team and today they were back in full force. For that result alone, I give Fewell credit.

Whatever Fewell's fate for next season and if not anything else, these last two games have shown what a passive idiot Jauron was as HC. We won today with a rag tag offensive line and a second string QB.

PTR

If it happens, the Bills need to leave him alone and tear apart the scouting department(except the guy who picks DBs), and hire a very good personnel evaluator at GM...If Fewell can make it happen with the group he has, he would be that much better with more talent...

If it happens, the Bills need to leave him alone and tear apart the scouting department(except the guy who picks DBs), and hire a very good personnel evaluator at GM...If Fewell can make it happen with the group he has, he would be that much better with more talent...

You guys are why this team sucks. If I were the Bills front office and I read this BS I would stop the coaching search right now and SETTLE for Fewell since you guys are so easily pleased. If you guys think there is any improvement at all in some guy, then lets hire him now! I mean the guys play a little harder for Fewell, so what? If Jauron was a ZERO and Fewell a 4 as for as a head coach that is vast improvement but we still have **** for a HC.

Need to hire a GM. Period. Then let him interview coaches. Maybe Fewell gets the job, but not unless the GM makes the hire.

I got an obscure name for you. David Caldwell, head of college scouting for the Falcons.

Was under Polian in INDY for years. Then was brought to Atlanta by Dimitrof. Has spent 12 years under INDY/N.E run systems.

He is young, oh and is a Buffalo boy.

Just a thought.

You guys are why this team sucks. If I were the Bills front office and I read this BS I would stop the coaching search right now and SETTLE for Fewell since you guys are so easily pleased. If you guys think there is any improvement at all in some guy, then lets hire him now! I mean the guys play a little harder for Fewell, so what? If Jauron was a ZERO and Fewell a 4 as for as a head coach that is vast improvement but we still have **** for a HC.

Its not really a mystery why Ralph hires his head coaches on the cheap, is it? The fans let him get away with it.

I have nothing against Perry Fewell, but when the guy's resume is basically that a) he's not Dick Jauron and b) he's a better head coaching candidate than Alex Van Pelt, I just can't get too excited about the possibility that he might retain this job.

First, I don't think there is any question amongst Bills fans and people around the league that the GM and managerial issue is a huge problem. When jauron was in charge, and with now Fewell, the coaching is suspect.

BUT... no one on Earth knows for sure or even with any certainty whatsoever whether Perry Fewell is HC material or not, If you think you do you are wrong or a liar, Most important for the Bills, IMO, is to get someone in that knows what he is doing to run the show. Right now, Overdorf is terrible at knowing how much players are worth, Brandon is not a guy with NFL personnel experience to make GM decisions. John Guy has been horrible at NFL scouting and pro personnel. Modrak may or may not have been limited. He is the only one who should MAYBE stay, although a serious HC/GM hybrid with Brandon doing the PR stuff could work.

Someone I have had a lot of conversations with who is very close to the Bills, and with no allegiance, thinks Fewell MAY be the real deal. I personally don't have a strong feeling either way. BUT, if we find a goood GM, I would have no problem with Fewell as the coach. To me, the front office is a bigger problem than the coach, and a lesser coach can win with good players easier than a good coach with crappy players.

Today, at least, all the major decisions that Fewell made worked. I am not at all a conservative guy but I, myself, would have punted rather than tried a 56 yard FG. But it worked so it was the right decision. The bomb was not normally a good decision. But Fewell needs to change the entire attitude of this team, and if that was he was thinking, it was brilliant.

First, I don't think there is any question amongst Bills fans and people around the league that the GM and managerial issue is a huge problem. When jauron was in charge, and with now Fewell, the coaching is suspect.

BUT... no one on Earth knows for sure or even with any certainty whatsoever whether Perry Fewell is HC material or not, If you think you do you are wrong or a liar, Most important for the Bills, IMO, is to get someone in that knows what he is doing to run the show. Right now, Overdorf is terrible at knowing how much players are worth, Brandon is not a guy with NFL personnel experience to make GM decisions. John Guy has been horrible at NFL scouting and pro personnel. Modrak may or may not have been limited. He is the only one who should MAYBE stay, although a serious HC/GM hybrid with Brandon doing the PR stuff could work.

Someone I have had a lot of conversations with who is very close to the Bills, and with no allegiance, thinks Fewell MAY be the real deal. I personally don't have a strong feeling either way. BUT, if we find a goood GM, I would have no problem with Fewell as the coach. To me, the front office is a bigger problem than the coach, and a lesser coach can win with good players easier than a good coach with crappy players.

Today, at least, all the major decisions that Fewell made worked. I am not at all a conservative guy but I, myself, would have punted rather than tried a 56 yard FG. But it worked so it was the right decision. The bomb was not normally a good decision. But Fewell needs to change the entire attitude of this team, and if that was he was thinking, it was brilliant.

Oh hell, we are screwed. Anything at all to let Ralph out of hiring a HC with a proven record. I'll say it again, the FANS are why this team sucks, they keep letting Ralph off the hook.