Do we have enough talent for next year?

PNW_Bills_Fan

Next year can we win with these guys have a full year in the NFL and together. I realize that half of these guys are on the IR. I realize this is a young group, but do they have the talent or do we need to rebuild the oline? Who would you keep and who would you get ride of?

I think we may have the talent on the team to have a good oline. We are bigger and I think have more of an attitude than we have had in years past. I think we may not need to do much with this online to have a decent one.

69 Meredith, Jamon OL 6-5 304 23 R South Carolina

79 Scott, Jonathan OL 6-6 318 26 3 Texas (Keep)

61 Gaddis, Christian OL 6-1 300 25 1 Villanova

71 Simmons, Kendall OL 6-3 315 30 7 Auburn (Keep)

77 Bell, Demetrius OL 6-5 307 25 1 Northwestern State University (Keep)

67 Levitre, Andy OL 6-2 305 23 R Oregon State (Keep)

63 Hangartner, Geoff OL 6-5 301 27 5 Texas A&M

68 McKinney, Seth OL 6-3 310 30 8 Texas A&M

70 Wood, Eric OL 6-4 315 23 R Louisville (Keep)

60 Butler, Brad OL 6-7 315 26 4 Virginia (Keep)

Interior lineman, we are ok if Wood is healthy. Butler is always hurt and we need a LT. Not sure I agree that we may not need to do much. Other x factor is coach and what offense he runs. Shanahan used mobile lineman.

Next year can we win with these guys have a full year in the NFL and together. I realize that half of these guys are on the IR. I realize this is a young group, but do they have the talent or do we need to rebuild the oline? Who would you keep and who would you get ride of?

I think we may have the talent on the team to have a good oline. We are bigger and I think have more of an attitude than we have had in years past. I think we may not need to do much with this online to have a decent one.

Interior lineman, we are ok if Wood is healthy. Butler is always hurt and we need a LT. Not sure I agree that we may not need to do much. Other x factor is coach and what offense he runs. Shanahan used mobile lineman.

D Bell is athletic. I am not sure he can't be a left tackle.

I'd keep Meredith over Scott all day long.

Is the point of this post that we are fine where we are?

Wood, Levitre, and Hangartner are respectable, with Wood clearly being the stud amongst the entire group. How his injury will effect any future playing status remains to be determined. But he is clearly a home run thus far in a decade of incompetence.

Meredith is a nice prospect. Bell may eventually be groomed into a Peters-like clone. McKinney is a solid player and backup.

Chambers is abysmal, and Scott is not too far behind in that category.

I will be interested to see if newly signed G Simmons can actually come in and contribute. It will be exciting to see him regain some of his stature.

That leaves the Bills sorely lacking of dominant players at the tackle positions. I'm not sure what the free agent crop will offer in terms of RT's, but if we could draft a dominant LT with our #1 pick, then we should be in business sooner rather than later. The return of a mauling Wood, a possible Levitre/ Simmons combo backed up by McKinney and Hangartner at Center is a solid interior.

Shaping up the tackle positions and allowing Bell and Meredith to learn, develop, and grow will help provide not only solid depth but possible starters for the future.

I think the most of the posts are way too optimistc about the prospects for our o-line. Our o-line is a mess and has played terribly this year. Injuries are only part of the reason. Bell is the most penalized OL in the league and did not show that he is a competent LT at this point of his career. Whether he can develop is an open issue. Levitre seemed to play okay, but I was troubled that the offense was unable to run up the middle when Levitre, Hangartner and Wood were in the lineup. I have no idea whether Hangartner has played well or poorly. Hard to tell when the overall line play is so poor. Wood seemed to play well as a rookie, but he will be coming back from a severe injury and may not be ready for training camp (or at all). Butler seemed okay until he was injured. His ability to come back from a serious injury in time for training camp is also questionnable.

Scott and Meredith are not starting caliber NFL players. Scott did not make it with the Lions and Meredith was signed off of the Packers practice squad. The Packers have one of the worst o-lines in the NFL, particularly at tackle, and Meredith could not even make the playing roster. Can he develop? Who knows. Chambers is a poor back-up and has played badly this year.

The o-line needs major upgrades at the tackle position. If Wood cannot return to play next season, guard will also be a very large hole.

Meredith is a nice prospect. Bell may eventually be groomed into a Peters-like clone. McKinney is a

Hoping you are right, I respectfully disagree. I fact, There is a better chanee of me becoming an astronaut than Bell being as good as Peters. Moreover, Bell needs to get better to be considered an adequate backup.

Even though Peters entered the league as a TE, he was already very strong. Bell is a nimble little guy trying to play LT in the NFL. Ouch.

This team needs a top 5 LT, a free agent RT (Trueblood please) and a Guard in the first 3 or 4 rounds in case Wood is finished.

Jmo.

The Bills need a LT. I'm sure that they will draft one on first day. Bell has been overmatched and he'll need at least another year or two to solidify his play, if he can. The Bills can't afford to wait and see. I would pencil in Bell as a future backup or possible RT starter, if he develops.

I'd like to see what a healthy Butler can do at RT. He never had a chance due to his injury. He is injured a lot though... I think that Meredith and Scott have enough ability for one of them to be a solid backup.

The starting interior is set. They need more experience playing together. There's no way to know what McKinney can do because he was injured so quickly after coming in. You'd have to figure though, that between McKinney, Simmons and Gaddis, there has to be someone who can backup at center and guard.

So: 1 LT + healthy team + additional year experience = decent OL. The Bills can re-evaluate things and make any final tweaks after next season.

Besides a top pick, I wouldn't blow the Bills wad on the OL. There are too many needs in other locations, like DL...

Ditch Scott (and send Chambers with him). Bell may make a good backup someday. Wood and Levitre are keepers. Might look for a better center. Still need a topflight left tackle.

That I guess would require moving Wood to Center and cutting Hang..

That has been a problem for us, no need to cut him if he's not the starter. You keep him for depth, as we should have kept Walker for depth at least for this year instead of cutting him. He couldn't run the no-huddle offense? Well, it seems the team couldn't run it, either.

Hoping you are right, I respectfully disagree. I fact, There is a better chanee of me becoming an astronaut than Bell being as good as Peters. Moreover, Bell needs to get better to be considered an adequate backup.

Even though Peters entered the league as a TE, he was already very strong. Bell is a nimble little guy trying to play LT in the NFL. Ouch.

This team needs a top 5 LT, a free agent RT (Trueblood please) and a Guard in the first 3 or 4 rounds in case Wood is finished.

Jmo.

At best Bell is a Jonas Jennings type clone, A solid left tackle that is hurt all the time.

As usual, our main problem is that we can't rely on our starters to last through the season. My sense is the starting line of Bell-Levitre-Hang-Wood-Butler is not too bad and will get better with more experience. I would prefer someone with more experience at the LT spot, but my opinion is the starting group has the potential to become very good if they can stick together.

Our real problem is with depth, and it's painfully clear that we need to use that depth extensively, especially at the tackle positions. We need better depth. Meredith is a decent option, but he needs to get a lot better. If Simmons has anything left, that would represent good G depth, but beyond that it's pretty ugly.