worst football injury I've seen

Thirdborn

Kelly throws an interception against the Falcons, runs the guy down and plants his helmet on the side of the guys leg.

Leg snaps in half and his foot touches his outer thigh.

anyone know who this was and if he ever played again?

Kelly throws an interception against the Falcons, runs the guy down and plants his helmet on the side of the guys leg.

I also remember watching that play. It was against the Falcons and Kelly made the hit.

Wasn't that a home game? I thought it was against the Pats?...you could almost hear his leg break...

I still gotta go with LT on Theisman as the worst I've ever seen, hurts just thinking about it :unsure:

The movie "the blindside" opens with a detailed showing of that injury and an explanation as to why the posiiton of Left Tackle is the second most important position on the team. Too bad DJ didn't see that before last year's draft.

The injuries to McCallum and Thiesman are the two worst broken leg injuries I've seen. There are more serious injuries (Everett and Darryl Stingley come to mind) but those leg breaks are hard to look at.

I don't need to see Theismann or Krumrie's injury again. And there were a couple horrific ankle injuries in baseball that gave me nightmares. Pittsburgh's Jason Kendall was trying to run out a bunt, hit first base awkwardly, and completely tore his right ankle bone from the joint, shearing all of the ligaments. The bottom of his shoe was facing upwards afterward.

And then there was Robin Ventura's compound fracture and dislocation of his right ankle when his foot caught in the mud sliding into home during a spring training game. (I hate myself for remembering this.)

The next time you hear of a free agent athlete leaving a team for more money, don't begrudge him. Something like this can happen at any time.

BTW, I'm not old enough to remember what happened to Bills RB Roger Kochman in 1963 when he dislocated his knee so badly all the blood vessels and nerves were torn, but it was described by many Bills vets as the most horrific injury they'd ever seen. He almost lost his leg.

I remember being a little kid staying up late to watch the Niners-Raiders game and seeing the McCallum injury live. I can still remember the whole play and the aftermath, with Ken Norton laying beneath McCallum until the trailers got McCallum stabilized to the point where they could grab Norton and slide him out from underneath, since McCallum could not be moved at that point.

Easily one of the most grotesque injuries I have ever seen in any sport.

or 1996...Bills-Colts...a 16-13 OT win. Henry Jones was holding onto the ball carrier and his legs went out in the air behind him when he got ahold of the ball carrier. Bryce Paup was right behind him and when Henry's legs went up in the air, one slammed into Bryce and it snapped...remember it almost like it was yesterday

I also remember watching that play. It was against the Falcons and Kelly made the hit.

I was there. You could tell, even from the upper deck, that it was a brutal injury. I would bet the Jumbotron operator didn't see it clearly as it happened, because they showed a replay of it. I've never heard 80,000 people groan simultaneously... it was nasty. They only showed it once.