We just need to lose out.

DarthICE

Yeah we do. We are about to get a new GM and HC hopefully one(s) that Ralph is going to pay to dollar for. They need a high draft pick to get the turn around of this Team started. This season is over anyway.

Using logic like this, some people here have been rooting for the Bills to lose out for about 4 years now. I wonder if they even like the team they're supposedly a fan of anymore?

Plus, I just can't root for my team to lose. Ever.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know man......I am seeing both sides to this tanking thing....

- The negatives. I dont like rooting against my team. It gives me a weird feeling because I am just too vested in the team emotionally......You also run the chance of becoming a team that is USED to losing and does not know how to win (Unfortunatley I think it is too late as I think that is where this team is at)

- The positives. We something for a new GM and HC to work with. When was the last time we actually had a top 3 pick? It just gives you so many options. You are going to get a blue chipper or you can even trade out of that spot down a few spots and pick up valuable picks.

I think we picking top 5 this year and we will try every game. Injuries, horrid offense, and lack of making the HC move sooner have doomed this team for this year.

It's a fine line and people always get their panties in a bunch when people say "root to lose". I think that's the phrase or mentality that makes people say "you're not a real fan then!" A guy who's rooting for his own team to lose BECAUSE he wants/believes that it will ultimately lead to a better future doesn't make them any less of a fan. It's like with your kids. You never WANT them to get hurt or experience pain, but sometimes you know that those experiences are the only way for your kid to grow and learn. So you never WANT your kid to get hurt, but sometimes he/she needs to in order to mature.

Personally, I don't actively root for the Bills to lose. Ever. I go into every game hoping for a win because when the ball is teed up, I get excited and just want to see them do well. But, at this point in time, when they lose, I take it WAY better because I see the positives that can come from it.

In any season, loses in Weeks 1 through 5 devastate and affect me more than a grown man should admit to. Same can be said about loses when the team is in playoff contention later on in the season. But losses when the team is out of contention (like now), and when the team is in desperate need of a regime change AND a cornerstone / franchise type player that (may) be found in the draft? Those I don't mind as much.

So for me it's win-win. If the Bills win, then I'm a happy guy because my team won. If they lose, I'm a happy guy because, as ICE says, it's better for the team's future in '10 and beyond.

But it is ridiculous, in my opinion, to say you're not a fan if you're rooting for a better future for your team -- even at the expense of it's present.

Just my two cents.

Yeah we do. We are about to get a new GM and HC hopefully one(s) that Ralph is going to pay to dollar for. They need a high draft pick to get the turn around of this Team started. This season is over anyway.

Is your avatar any kind of hint as to who you think we should take with that pick? ;-)

If Ralph wanted to take Flutie #1 in 1985, he might also want to take Tebow #1 in 2010.

Now that would be painful.

Am I the only on who thinks Tebow will be a 2nd day draft pick based on his size and the system he played in college?

rooting against your own team is sick...it'd be like sleeping with your sister. Besides, maybe Perry is the next great coach. I've been all for bringing in Shanahan since the day he was fired by Denver but if it turns out that Perry is a great head coach, why make that switch?

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

Real fans ALWAYS root FOR their teams...no exceptions to that rule....once you root against a team, you can't really call yourself a fan of that team. Losing does nothing that's positive...maybe that's just my opinion...but I'm not some phony pansy-assed quitter

yes, 100% with you. I still watch the games every week--I would love to see the Bills win. It's not like there are only 9 good college players entering the draft, where we pick is fairly irrelevant. I'd rather the club become an exciting enough prospect for free agents/respected coaches and players to want to come to. Seriously, what respectable veteran is coming to a team that loses by 30 every week? You get a team that busts their a$$ for a 5-11 record, you get attention beyond Lions-esque pity. Delusional perhaps, but I still think I am right.

rooting against your own team is sick...it'd be like sleeping with your sister. Besides, maybe Perry is the next great coach. I've been all for bringing in Shanahan since the day he was fired by Denver but if it turns out that Perry is a great head coach, why make that switch?

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

Real fans ALWAYS root FOR their teams...no exceptions to that rule....once you root against a team, you can't really call yourself a fan of that team. Losing does nothing that's positive...maybe that's just my opinion...but I'm not some phony pansy-assed quitter

There was one exception:

Dec. 7, 1968 (!).

The entire city was rooting for a loss against Houston. The Bills were 1 - 12, the Eagles were 2 - 11.

BUF lost, posting a 1 - 13 record, thereby winning the OJ Simpson Derby. PHI lost the following week (the AFL started their season a week ahead of the NFL) and drafted Purdue's DB/WR Leroy Keyes.

Cleveland 1-9 L

St Louis 1-9 L

Tampa Bay 1-9 L

Detroit 2-8 just beat Cleve

Buffalo 3-7 L

Oakland 3-7 just beat Cincy

Tenn 3-6 W

Washington 3-7 L

Seattle 3-7 L

Kansas City 3-7 just beat Pitt

I'm thinking the Bills get the 5th pick, this shambles of a team really stinks, with 12 players on IR and more to come.

Am I the only on who thinks Tebow will be a 2nd day draft pick based on his size and the system he played in college?

I can understand the questions about the offense he plays in, but I can't see how his being 6'3" 245lbs is a negative.

He shouldn't go in the first round, but at this point, I think Tebow is almost underrated. I'd certainly rather see the Bills draft Tim Tebow than Tony Pike, Dan LeFevour or any of the other 2nd tier QBs in this draft.

I will personally never root against the Bills. How could i ever root for Miami, or Brady? Rooting for them to lose is asinine.

I will say that the loses are easier to take. A month or two ago yesterday rips my heart out, but I actually saw a lot of positives in that game and began to get a glimmer of hope.

I know the draft pick is very important, but maybe I am confusing senility with serenity, but I have a feeling that it is all going to work out for us... This could be my typical optimism that leads to my crashing to the ground with a resounding thud around the middle of next year, but it feels a little different. I think we are on the verge, my friends.

Yea, Payton Manning sucks... So does that Stafford guy 26/43 422 yds 5 TD's this week

It's a lottery and if you consistently pick in the top 10 you're doomed.

Top 10 Lottery Picks since 2000.

Carson Palmer QB

Charles Rogers WR

Andre Johnson WR

Dewayne Robertson DT

Terance Newman CB

Jonathan Sullivan DT

Byron Leftwich QB

Jordon Gross OT

Kevin Williams DT

Terrell Subs DE

Eli Manning QB

Robert Gallery OT

Larry Fitzgerald WR

Phillip Rivers QB

Sean Taylor S

Kellen Winslow TE

Roy Williams WR

DeAngelo Hall CB

Reggie Williams WR

Dunta Robertson CB

Alex Smith QB

Ronnie Brown RB

Braylon Edwards WR

Cedric Benson RB

Carnell Williams RB

Adam Jones CB

Troy Williamson WR

Antrel Rolle CB

Carlos Rogers CB

Mike Williams WR

Mario Williams DE

Reggie Bush RB

Vince Young QB

D’Brickashaw Ferguson OT

AJ Hawk LB

Vernon Davis TE

Michael Huff S

Donte Whitner S

Ernie Sims LB

Matt Leinart QB

JaMarcus Russell QB

Calvin Johnson WR

Joe Thomas OT

Gaines Adams DE

Levi Brown OT

LaRon Landry S

Adrian Peterson RB

Jamaal Anderson DE

Ted Ginn Jr. WR

Amobi Okoye DT

Jake Long OT

Chris Long DE

Matt Ryan QB

Darren McFadden RB

Glenn Dorsey DT

Vernon Gholston DE

Sedrick Ellis DT

Derrick Harvey DE

Keith Rivers OLB

Jerod Mayo ILB

There are as many boogers in that list than there are blue chippers.

It's a lottery and if you consistently pick in the top 10 you're doomed.

Top 10 Lottery Picks since 2000.

Carson Palmer QB

Charles Rogers WR

Andre Johnson WR

Dewayne Robertson DT

Terance Newman CB

Jonathan Sullivan DT

Byron Leftwich QB

Jordon Gross OT

Kevin Williams DT

Terrell Subs DE

Eli Manning QB

Robert Gallery OT

Larry Fitzgerald WR

Phillip Rivers QB

Sean Taylor S

Kellen Winslow TE

Roy Williams WR

DeAngelo Hall CB

Reggie Williams WR

Dunta Robertson CB

Alex Smith QB

Ronnie Brown RB

Braylon Edwards WR

Cedric Benson RB

Carnell Williams RB

Adam Jones CB

Troy Williamson WR

Antrel Rolle CB

Carlos Rogers CB

Mike Williams WR

Mario Williams DE

Reggie Bush RB

Vince Young QB

D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT

AJ Hawk LB

Vernon Davis TE

Michael Huff S

Donte Whitner S

Ernie Sims LB

Matt Leinart QB

JaMarcus Russell QB

Calvin Johnson WR

Joe Thomas OT

Gaines Adams DE

Levi Brown OT

LaRon Landry S

Adrian Peterson RB

Jamaal Anderson DE

Ted Ginn Jr. WR

Amobi Okoye DT

Jake Long OT

Chris Long DE

Matt Ryan QB

Darren McFadden RB

Glenn Dorsey DT

Vernon Gholston DE

Sedrick Ellis DT

Derrick Harvey DE

Keith Rivers OLB

Jerod Mayo ILB

There are as many boogers in that list than there are blue chippers.

So, the Bills shouldn't draft in the top 5 because they "might' draft a booger?

So, the Bills shouldn't draft in the top 5 because they "might' draft a booger?

They shouldn't draft in the top 5 'cause it means they weren't that good the year before.

Unless they're smart enough to acquire picks from other teams that weren't good the year before, that is.