Edwards revisited

Coach Tuesday

The Bills come out of a bye week and name Edwards the starter. The general consensus is that it's his job to lose and that the second half of the season will determine whether the Bills view Edwards as their QB of the future.

One week later, after a bad (but not terrible, not Jamarcus Russell bad) performance, he's benched and the general consensus is that Edwards is not the answer and it's time to move on.

Oh, and in the meantime, the coach gets fired and the owner decides to clean house.

I mean, WTF?

Where there is smoke there's fire. Unfortunately, our local media (TSW contributors aside!) wouldn't notice their own legs burning.

There HAS to be more to this story. *Something* must have happened with Edwards, either directly leading up to, during, or right after the Tennessee game. The sequence of events just makes no sense. I've postulated elsewhere that it looked to me like Edwards purposely dogged his last series, possibly out of spite due to something that happened on the sideline. Another theory I have is that Dick wanted to name Fitz the starter coming out of the bye week, but Ralph overruled him, and possibly that back-and-forth precipitated Jauron's exit. But I repeat: something happened. No NFL franchise - not even the inept Bills - completely changes course at the QB position during a single week. Now, I know that Edwards' track record doesn't give any of us confidence that he could be The Man long-term, and I also feel that, in a sense, who cares what happened, let's just move forward now that it's clear a new regime is coming to town.

But I hate the idea that there is an interesting story here that we're not privy to. I repeat: something happened. Perhaps a player-revolt. A confrontation between Edwards and AVP. A comment (or even a shrug) that Edwards made to someone in the front office. Something that they saw on film. I don't know the answer, but I'd sure like to know how a team can give up on a 3 year investment after one mediocre performance.

Media types, consider this a call to action.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills come out of a bye week and name Edwards the starter. The general consensus is that it's his job to lose and that the second half of the season will determine whether the Bills view Edwards as their QB of the future.

One week later, after a bad (but not terrible, not Jamarcus Russell bad) performance, he's benched and the general consensus is that Edwards is not the answer and it's time to move on.

Oh, and in the meantime, the coach gets fired and the owner decides to clean house.

I mean, WTF?

Where there is smoke there's fire. Unfortunately, our local media (TSW contributors aside!) wouldn't notice their own legs burning.

There HAS to be more to this story. *Something* must have happened with Edwards, either directly leading up to, during, or right after the Tennessee game. The sequence of events just makes no sense. I've postulated elsewhere that it looked to me like Edwards purposely dogged his last series, possibly out of spite due to something that happened on the sideline. Another theory I have is that Dick wanted to name Fitz the starter coming out of the bye week, but Ralph overruled him, and possibly that back-and-forth precipitated Jauron's exit. But I repeat: something happened. No NFL franchise - not even the inept Bills - completely changes course at the QB position during a single week. Now, I know that Edwards' track record doesn't give any of us confidence that he could be The Man long-term, and I also feel that, in a sense, who cares what happened, let's just move forward now that it's clear a new regime is coming to town.

But I hate the idea that there is an interesting story here that we're not privy to. I repeat: something happened. Perhaps a player-revolt. A confrontation between Edwards and AVP. A comment (or even a shrug) that Edwards made to someone in the front office. Something that they saw on film. I don't know the answer, but I'd sure like to know how a team can give up on a 3 year investment after one mediocre performance.

as you note, the media covering the Bills are stealing the money they are paid.

they break no stories

have no inside info

for spending all of their working hours covering the Bills, they sure do have a glaring lack of contact with anyone in the organization

- but the excuse is that all of that "inside" info is "off-the-record"

the drivel they write is worse than most posts on this board

I mean, WTF?

The only thing Ralph overrules these days is his cornflakes!

they break no stories

have no inside info

for spending all of their working hours covering the Bills, they sure do have a glaring lack of contact with anyone in the organization

and speaking of drivel ... :(

jw

I mean, WTF?

My take is they were getting tired of him making the same mistakes over and over. The whole sideline rant from TO and JR was due Trent not recognizing the other teams defense and not seeing the receivers open.

and speaking of drivel ... :(

jw

In defense of "Spartacus" and in spite of your "breaking" story on Wilson, he is right about the local media covering the Bills. Guys like Gaughn, Hamilton, the Rochester guy and the TV types seldom ask tough questions, initiate interviews with Bills brass or break stories like DJ's firing. Why should the NFL Network be the first to tell us that Dick was gone?

In defense of the OP, there certainly IS an interesting story behind the Edwards benching at Tennessee and the continued benching this week. What the hell happened? I know he made three straight bad throws, but had been doing alright until then. Were they deliberate misses because TO pissed off Trent? Was that a deliberate interception? Something is going on and has been all year between the receivers (Evans in particular) and Edwards. Be nice to find out or at least ask the question. Teams don't usually abandon their starting QB this abruptly.

Agreed that something went down. I suspect a player revolt against Edwards. In the interview with T.O. on buffalobills.com about the coaching change, T.O. says (5.0 minutes in) that he thought Fitz shoulda been the QB coming out of the bye. When Trent went into 4th quarter meltdown mode yet AGAIN, even Josh Reed had to speak up along with T.O.

I think Trent's arrogance, combined with lack of leadership is the reason the team has given up on him. When he throws a pick, its a "great play by the corner" instead of a bad throw by him.

they break no stories

have no inside info

Spartacus, this is a good board. There is another one thats good and a third that seems to be reserved for alchoholics.

Careful readers would have noted that certain beat writers pointed out Edwards' shaky status early this season. The reason that it may have been missed is that more attention was paid to Jauron's position and weak OL play. But the Edwards situation has been bubbling all year long (just ignored by the fans).

I think that Jauron's firing was coincidental. In fact I don't think Edwards would have played anymore this season had Fitz showed even average capability in his outings.

It's pretty tough to break stories if you actually listen to what guys like Jauron, Brandon, and Ralph WIlson say, which is less than zero. And when it has been clear for a decade that no one knows what is going on at One Bills Drive including and especially those at the top and in charge of One Bills Drive.

Oddly enough, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Gerry points out that earlier the Edwards issue was obscured by the coaching issue, but it's the reverse this week - I have to believe *something* happened (as you say), but it's not getting covered (yet) because of the Jauron firing. It was supremely weird. I mean, before this season, they got rid of a nominal competing starter (JP) and brought in the epitome of a career backup (Fitz). Basically, they were saying that Edwards is the man this year. And truth be told, at least statistically Edwards has performed a good bit better than Fitzpatrick. Plus he played quite well in his first two games.

Another thing bubbling under the surface is Lee Evans' decided decided lack of public enthusiasm for Edwards going back to before the season. Moreover, it's kinda interesting that the WRs are all publicly championing Fitz now, despite the fact he clearly isn't very good.

Why the story broke on NFL.com is likely due to 1 of 2 reasons. One - the team notifies the league and someone at the league tips off Lacanfora. Two - Jauron calls his agent, who then calls Lacnfora. Both of those happen before Brandon calls the local media or tells Chris Brown.

You can imagine any number of scenarios why the team would not rush to tell local media, while the story is leaked via backchannels to national media who have different connections.

Why the story broke on NFL.com is likely due to 1 of 2 reasons. One - the team notifies the league and someone at the league tips off Lacanfora. Two - Jauron calls his agent, who then calls Lacnfora. Both of those happen before Brandon calls the local media or tells Chris Brown.

You can imagine any number of scenarios why the team would not rush to tell local media, while the story is leaked via backchannels to national media who have different connections.

You mean <shudder> that someone at the network owned by the league may have <shudder> spilled the beans to an employee of that network?

Oddly enough, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Gerry points out that earlier the Edwards issue was obscured by the coaching issue, but it's the reverse this week - I have to believe *something* happened (as you say), but it's not getting covered (yet) because of the Jauron firing. It was supremely weird. I mean, before this season, they got rid of a nominal competing starter (JP) and brought in the epitome of a career backup (Fitz). Basically, they were saying that Edwards is the man this year. And truth be told, at least statistically Edwards has performed a good bit better than Fitzpatrick. Plus he played quite well in his first two games.

Another thing bubbling under the surface is Lee Evans' decided decided lack of public enthusiasm for Edwards going back to before the season.

My read is that at no time in Edwards career did he show that he was a serious candidate for franchise quarterback. Despite a lot of people's praise, he NEVER did a lot of things he was given credit for, especially the throwaway terms like "pocket presence", "going through his progressions", "reading defenses", "stepping up in the pocket", etc. There were glimpses and flashes of these things but he never really did any of them for more than a quarter or so in a row. He had some decent games, and there were times that it LOOKED like he was getting better and may BE that guy but he never really was that guy. All of it was potential but it never materialized.

There were a couple times when I thought myself that he's looking better and played pretty well and that we may really have something in him. And I posted as much. But it never lasted more than a game or so. He would start to look good and then he would flounder. He would throw a really nice deep ball for a score and you'd think yes, he can do it but they were so few and so far between, in retrospect, he could never throw the long ball with any consistency whatsoever.

As you well know, in sports, different coaches, owners, pundits, fans, etc. will give up on players over time, and then suddenly for good when they just say "they will never get it, they just don't have it, time to move on." Myself, I gave Trent several chances in my own mind to take another serious step forward but I gave up on him for good a few weeks ago, just before he was hurt. That could easily be the case with the majority of the Bills front office, too. Everyone knew this was his make or break year.

I think, for example, Bledsoe's last game as a Bill against Pittsburgh was a time when a lot of people at once came to that realization that this is it, it's as far as we can go with him, time to move on. A lot of people did it at the same time with JP against Jacksonville.

Between Ralph, Brandon, Guy, Jauron, AVP, the players and now Fewell, they could easily have come to that conclusion all at different times with Trent. But when three or four or more of them have come to it by now, it doesn't at all have to be "something we don't know about". I have no faith in Edwards to be a consistent, solid, healthy starting quarterback in the NFL right now.

Who do you include in that general consensus? Sounds like these guys aren't signing up:

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/866543.html

Terrell Owens said he thought Fitzpatrick should have remained the starter after the bye.

"I think Ryan, No. 1, is a veteran," Owens said. "He has a lot more experience. There are some situations where he'll be able to buy time with that experience. There will be some times where he can assess the defense and really take some shots down the field. We're looking forward to the opportunity with Ryan. Obviously he was 2-1 before the bye week when he was in there. Personally I felt like it was his job to lose. But again, there are things that are out of our control."

Lee Evans seconded the emotion.

"I think some of the things that Fitz does are really good," Evans said. "When he played before, he stepped up and made some big plays. So I think it'll help. We have a lot of confidence in him. I'm excited to see him play."

Those whispers have been out there for a while now -- if the offense hadn't looked so brutal against Houston, I'm not so sure Edwards sees the field against Tennessee -- but it's not as easy as it might seem to get people to repeat those statements when they know their name will be attached to it in print.

Why did Jasno break the Jauron firing? Because most print outlets still follow a code of ethics: more than one confirmed source, someone willing to go on the record, etc. Minus those restrictions, guys like JLC, Schefter, and Glazer can run with whatever they hear, as soon as they hear it, if they think they can trust their source ... but they can be (and have been) wrong, too.

And I believe The Associated Press was the first outlet to have anything from Ralph. :(

KTFABD, regarding your "less than zero" comment ... without publicly going into detail, the front office's duplicity re:the media was proven to me once and for all at the beginning of May. (And as far as Edwards' sell-by date, take a close look at the debacle in Miami.)

throw in the signing of brohm and we could have a little controversy, they wouldn't have signed him if they haven't given up on edwards and know like the rest of us the fitz isn't the answer. depending on the new regime and how good brohm looks this year in practice or what playing time he gets (if any) and how he looks in the offseason I bet they don't draft a QB high. and edwards gets released if they pick up another QB along the way

The differance between Trent and some of the guys we have had in the past is that Trent actually belongs in the NFL. Not as a starter but he is an Ideal backup, he can come off the bench, make a few plays, maybe win a game here and there. He doesnt lose games, he doesnt make alot of bonehead decisions, he just doesnt win games or make big plays and he is smart enough to know the playbook. These are charateristics of a backup QB.