Edwards revisited

Coach Tuesday

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dog, the person that brought T.O. in was Ralph Wilson.

apparently, spartacus missed that one, too, because it was The AP that broke how that went down.

and it was the LOCAL media that didn't fall for the Vick in Buffalo rumor in August, while most everyone else and his buddy on the national level ... and even on this board ... were falling over themselves in a bid to be the first, second and eighth one to get it wrong.

what, we somehow missed the boat on Dick Jauron? no one ever mentioned he was on the hot seat?

Sully, for one, hasn't been poking sticks at the franchise for its lack of direction?

questions haven't been raised in regards to Trent's status as starter. heck, The AP started questioning him shortly after the New Orleans or Miami game, I believe.

there hasn't been anything about turmoil on this team? well, i think it was pointed out in several stories and through several questions that Donte Whitner wasn't exactly elated with Edwards. Aaron Schobel didn't exactly provide everything's peachy-keen earlier this week.

what WIVB reported about Dick being offered the chance to remain coach for the rest of the year is interesting.

as for complaints about how no one's willing to talk to the Bills' front-office, the difficulty is getting someone in the front office to talk. and part of the reason for that is because Ralph Wilson is the one making most of the decisions.

feh.

jw

You think the old man made the Edwards decision from on high? If so, maybe he was inspired by Birdman Adams, who did a similar thing in Tennessee ...

Ah crap. I start a decent thread and it gets hijacked by crazy.

to answer your question, there was no real player revolt, though it's evident from the comments made by several players that they weren't exactly in Trent's corner.

does someone need to come out and say "Trent's bad," to convince you that his numbers and his performance haven't been particularly good. it's quite obvious what went down if you watch the games. Trent hasn't been very good. he had his chance to prove it, and the team has now lost confidence in him.

no help that his biggest supporter, Dick Jauron, got fired this week.

should i pull out the abacus to help through the math?

jw

You think the old man made the Edwards decision from on high? If so, maybe he was inspired by Birdman Adams, who did a similar thing in Tennessee ...

can't see it. there was too much wrong with the team to begin with. Trent, Ryan, doesn't much matter to Mr. Wilson in my opinion at this point. he's washed his hands of this season and is blowing it all up, which might be something i brought up as a possibility two months ago on this board, but i can't seem to find it.

jw

Wouldn't you play the better player, though? In any event, I think that it's a cut-and-dry case that RF gives the Bills a better chance to win.

Who is the better player? I wouldn't say Trent is clearly better, if not no better at all.

I sense some defensiveness JW. Wasn't trying to call you out personally. I appreciate the work you do. I just find it amazing that in a week's time it all of a sudden becomes finally decided by the organization that Edwards isn't the answer. And that there are practically no articles written about it, even though it's far more important than a coach getting fired IMO. There arfe successful free agent coaches out there. Same can't be said about QBs, and without a QB we're probably looking at 3 to 5 more years without playoffs.

Guest dog14787

apparently, spartacus missed that one, too, because it was The AP that broke how that went down.

and it was the LOCAL media that didn't fall for the Vick in Buffalo rumor in August, while most everyone else and his buddy on the national level ... and even on this board ... were falling over themselves in a bid to be the first, second and eighth one to get it wrong.

what, we somehow missed the boat on Dick Jauron? no one ever mentioned he was on the hot seat?

Sully, for one, hasn't been poking sticks at the franchise for its lack of direction?

questions haven't been raised in regards to Trent's status as starter. heck, The AP started questioning him shortly after the New Orleans or Miami game, I believe.

there hasn't been anything about turmoil on this team? well, i think it was pointed out in several stories and through several questions that Donte Whitner wasn't exactly elated with Edwards. Aaron Schobel didn't exactly provide everything's peachy-keen earlier this week.

what WIVB reported about Dick being offered the chance to remain coach for the rest of the year is interesting.

as for complaints about how no one's willing to talk to the Bills' front-office, the difficulty is getting someone in the front office to talk. and part of the reason for that is because Ralph Wilson is the one making most of the decisions.

feh.

jw

Thanks for the info jw,

I've been rubbing folks the wrong way in my defense for Trent Edwards, for that everyone has my apology, but I still believe in him and will continue to defend him maybe even long after he's gone just like I do JP. I'm loyal to a fault, its always been a problem of mine, If I deeply believe in something or someone, its hard to shatter my faith.

I do realize I'm probably wrong about Trent Edwards, to many folks whom I've grown to respect here on TSW think TE's career is over, I'm just not there yet myself personally.

Not that it really matters because TE is probably history...

Who is the better player? I wouldn't say Trent is clearly better, if not no better at all.

I think that's a fair point. I guess one could say that while Edwards might be slightly better (and I think he is), if the players are behind the other one (RF), then maybe it's wise to go with the one the players support. That makes a certain amount of sense.

I think that's a fair point. I guess one could say that while Edwards might be slightly better (and I think he is), if the players are behind the other one (RF), then maybe it's wise to go with the one the players support. That makes a certain amount of sense.

If only Brohm (who after the Bills made their offer, was offered the chance to be on the Packers' active roster, but chose Buffalo since he'd get more chances at playing time) had been acquired a month ago, like I suggested, he'd know the playbook and they'd be able to see what he's got. Hopefully he'll be ready by sometime in December.

If only Brohm (who after the Bills made their offer, was offered the chance to be on the Packers' active roster, but chose Buffalo since he'd get more chances at playing time) had been acquired a month ago, like I suggested, he'd know the playbook and they'd be able to see what he's got. Hopefully he'll be ready by sometime in December.

Yep. Maybe Brohm will become the Bills very own version of Mark Brunell. We can hope!

Yep. Maybe Brohm will become the Bills very own version of Mark Brunell. We can hope!

Well, I'm not getting my hopes up. The best I can say about getting him was it was doing something more than nothing and hoping things magically got better. But until he proves something, that means little.

can't see it. there was too much wrong with the team to begin with. Trent, Ryan, doesn't much matter to Mr. Wilson in my opinion at this point. he's washed his hands of this season and is blowing it all up, which might be something i brought up as a possibility two months ago on this board, but i can't seem to find it.

jw

Dunno about on the board, but I do seem to recall you using the word "doomed" to me the day they cut Langston Walker.

And yeah, at this point, Edwards/Fitzpatrick = six of one, half-dozen of t'other.

Add: a thought on Schobel. When you wrote that piece, I think most of us were surprised to see him actually speak out, since he doesn't normally say much. Guessing RCW had already made his decision by that point, but if he hadn't, I wonder if Schobel's reax -- including the "I can't say what I REALLY want to" line while eyeing the front-office types -- was the last straw.

feh.

jw

Are you implying that I have to actually read news artcles and consider the contet therein and, subsequently, draw conclusions from all those words? It'd be much easier if you just told me what to think in the headline. It would save us all a lot of time.

Wouldn't you play the better player, though? In any event, I think that it's a cut-and-dry case that RF gives the Bills a better chance to win.

I guess I would ask in what way do you mean the better player? In terms of physical skills, you give the edge to Trent. In terms of the mental side of the game (toughness and acumen), I would give the edge to Fitz. Trent has crumbled too many times. That being said, our choices currently are not great. I just we can get someone (draft/FA - I don't care) in here who can play QB.

Are you implying that I have to actually read news artcles and consider the contet therein and, subsequently, draw conclusions from all those words? It'd be much easier if you just told me what to think in the headline. It would save us all a lot of time.

how 'bout i type slow-er? would that work? :(

jw

Two points.

First, the media takes Donte Whitner's word as gospel, despite his questionable play, his big mouth, and failure to live up to expectations. This is the same guy who guaranteed a playoff berth. It's also the same guy who blamed last year's Arizona loss on JP, stating that if Trent had not been injured, the Bills would have still been undefeated. For someone whose play is relatively mediocre (if that), he has an awfully big mouth.

Second, the media rarely writes anything about the sub-par performance of the front office over a sustained 5-year span. While, as you rightfully pointed out, Sully has been poking stones at the franchise for years, the rest of the local media seems to focus its attentions squarely on the QB and the Head Coach.

That the front office refuses to talk shouldn't preclude one from calling to attention the fact that this is arguably the worst front office in the NFL. The poor drafts, ill-advised free agent acquisitions and awful roster management speak loudly and clearly enough. In other markets, I feel like they would be roasted by the media. In Buffalo, they are seemingly insulated from criticism.

My read is that at no time in Edwards career did he show that he was a serious candidate for franchise quarterback. Despite a lot of people's praise, he NEVER did a lot of things he was given credit for, especially the throwaway terms like "pocket presence", "going through his progressions", "reading defenses", "stepping up in the pocket", etc. There were glimpses and flashes of these things but he never really did any of them for more than a quarter or so in a row. He had some decent games, and there were times that it LOOKED like he was getting better and may BE that guy but he never really was that guy. All of it was potential but it never materialized.

There were a couple times when I thought myself that he's looking better and played pretty well and that we may really have something in him. And I posted as much. But it never lasted more than a game or so. He would start to look good and then he would flounder. He would throw a really nice deep ball for a score and you'd think yes, he can do it but they were so few and so far between, in retrospect, he could never throw the long ball with any consistency whatsoever.

As you well know, in sports, different coaches, owners, pundits, fans, etc. will give up on players over time, and then suddenly for good when they just say "they will never get it, they just don't have it, time to move on." Myself, I gave Trent several chances in my own mind to take another serious step forward but I gave up on him for good a few weeks ago, just before he was hurt. That could easily be the case with the majority of the Bills front office, too. Everyone knew this was his make or break year.

I think, for example, Bledsoe's last game as a Bill against Pittsburgh was a time when a lot of people at once came to that realization that this is it, it's as far as we can go with him, time to move on. A lot of people did it at the same time with JP against Jacksonville.

Between Ralph, Brandon, Guy, Jauron, AVP, the players and now Fewell, they could easily have come to that conclusion all at different times with Trent. But when three or four or more of them have come to it by now, it doesn't at all have to be "something we don't know about". I have no faith in Edwards to be a consistent, solid, healthy starting quarterback in the NFL right now.

Good post. I was miffed at the Bills last offseason when they failed to bring in an experienced QB who could seriously compete with Edwards for the starting QB position. Instead they sign Fitz, which I didn't like all that much, and determine before any competition that Edwards is the starter. Edwards has never beaten competition for the starting job. JP stunk the place up in time and they gave it to Edwards and now he has stunk it up in time. I know there are some posters who like JP because he could throw it deep, but to me there is no real difference between JP and Edwards. Hopefully the Bills do their homework and pick the right QB. It's been a long time since they had a good one.

Thanks for the info jw,

I've been rubbing folks the wrong way in my defense for Trent Edwards, for that everyone has my apology, but I still believe in him and will continue to defend him maybe even long after he's gone just like I do JP. I'm loyal to a fault, its always been a problem of mine, If I deeply believe in something or someone, its hard to shatter my faith.

I do realize I'm probably wrong about Trent Edwards, to many folks whom I've grown to respect here on TSW think TE's career is over, I'm just not there yet myself personally.

Not that it really matters because TE is probably history...

I wouldn't necessarily say it's strictly your defense of Trent, but rather how you're defending him, that is creating ire. For example, in this thread you've completely fabricated conjecture regarding TO as though he is the root of Trent's demize.