Mr. Wilson speaks

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not convinced that a big name coach is going to fix the issue. The Bills problems are much greater than just the coach. The Bills need to put a solid organizational structure in place and then build from there. The coach/gm combo platter makes me VERY nervous primarily because it hasn't worked ANYWHERE........EVER.

The NFL history is littered with coaches who have been very successful with one team then moved on and done virtually nothing with their new team. There are far more first time SB winners then there are multiple franchise winners.

I'd much rather have a GM/Coach combo that work together and are on the same page. Throwing HUGE dollars and someone just because he's a "name" gets us nowhere.

Agreed. As tempting as the Shanahan life preserver appears to us drowning Bills fans, the fact is that power corrupts... In this case, my fear is that giving total control to one individual might tend to breed arrogance and insulate him from the healthy effects a structured system of checks and balances would provide.

And if you think that Mr. Wilson found it difficult to dump Jauron, how much harder might it be for him to cut Shanahan at two or more times the salary, should he muck up things in a couple years?

As much as everyone wants to finalize things tomorrow, I say let's take as much time as is required to get this right. These decisions will impact all of us for a long time to come. Sharpen those pruning shears!

Agreed. As tempting as the Shanahan life preserver appears to us drowning Bills fans, the fact is that power corrupts... In this case, my fear is that giving total control to one individual might tend to breed arrogance and insulate him from the healthy effects a structured system of checks and balances would provide.

That. And I don't trust Shanahan's skills at anything more than coaching. I hope this point does not become the deal breaker if we indeed are pursuing him. I mean what happens if Shanahan says 'full control or bust' ? I say we call it 'bust' and move on to a more amicable and competent GM-HC combo.

That. And I don't trust Shanahan's skills at anything more than coaching. I hope this point does not become the deal breaker if we indeed are pursuing him. I mean what happens if Shanahan says 'full control or bust' ? I say we call it 'bust' and move on to a more amicable and competent GM-HC combo.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Look at his recent drafts with Denver:

2008: Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal, Spencer Larson, Peyton Hillis - A solid LT, a great #2 WR (at least when he was in Shanahan's system), a special teams demon, and a starting FB that can take RB carries

2007: Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder, Ryan Harris, Marcus Thomas - Big 1st round bust, role playing 3-4 DE, solid RT, role playing 3-4 DT

2006: Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Domenik Hixon, Chris Kuper - Good QB (again, at least in Shanahan's system), productive TE, star WR, star pass rusher, solid #3 WR (albeit with the NYG), starting RG

Seems like he can wear the personnel hat just fine. I'd also add that 2008 was Shanahan's first season without GM Ted Sundquist assisting in the draft room, and that draft looks great as of now.

Just my 1 cent.

And if you think that Mr. Wilson found it difficult to dump Jauron, how much harder might it be for him to cut Shanahan at two or more times the salary, should he muck up things in a couple years?

As much as everyone wants to finalize things tomorrow, I say let's take as much time as is required to get this right. These decisions will impact all of us for a long time to come. Sharpen those pruning shears!

Donahoe?

I bet you also believe everything a politician says. When Knox was hired in '78, his name was not mentioned until he signed with the Bills. You really think Ralph doesn't know anything about Shanahan?

He knows that he is going to be expensive, I can guarantee you that.

Shanahan can't do as bad as the clowns that are in the front office now, with Guy, Modrak and ticket salesman Brandon.

Still trying to figure out "looking down the wrong side of the street". I guess that would result in seeing buildings, people or landmarks that you weren't looking for. ? relevance to the question of cheapness. Is this a common colloquialism that I've just never been exposed to? Were there any other incoherent gems that he gifted you in the interview that you left out? maybe he was just trying to be cryptic and obtuse...he seems especially good at that.

I think Lynch was "looking down the wrong side of the street" that is why he hit that lady last year and why he didn't see the cop coming to find the gun in the trunk.

It's not, go look at the constant "Now if they get rid of Russ Brandon" posts.

Not what I was referring to. Brandon is the brand name guy who everyone demonizes, yet Overdorf's shadowy presence is behind every major move on the team.

Not what I was referring to. Brandon is the brand name guy who everyone demonizes, yet Overdorf's shadowy presence is behind every major move on the team.

True dat. We haven't talked nearly enough about Mr. Overdorf here, and for once, I'm not being even a little sarcastic.

It seems like most of the time he is being praised for his steady work in keeping player salaries down. I mean, we get a trophy for that, right? :(

To me, he either underpays or overpays, and rarely gets it right. That's what we get for having a non-football guy deciding who makes what. If you can't tell, and don't know, what a player is worth in this league, how the hell are you going to decide how much to pay him.

Exactly, he's a big problem as in Tom Modrak and John Guy. However, posts referencing them as problems are buried by the "Get rid of Russ Brandon and all will be well" posts. People aren't making the connection you mentioned that Russ Brandon is a face and the entrenched power structure that's been here for ten years of futility are the people that need to go.

Perhaps, I should have said, "That veil is not being pierced." instead of, "It's not" to make the point abundantly clear.

I think its a cover. How can you not know anything about him? Thats a weak cover up. I agree with what was said. I dont think Wilson wants the negotiations made public. Especially since Washington is rumored to want Shanahan at the end of the season.

Of course it's a cover. Even at 91, and even if he were the senile old coot that so many people make him out to be, he would still know who Shannahan is. The other thing is that the Rooney rule is still in play here. They have to interview minority candidates for the coaching job. And even if Shannahan is hired as GM only, he's going to want to bing in his own people, and I'm sure at least one of them is currently coaching for another team. So that means he absolutely cannot contact them, unless they want to face punishment by the NFL for tampering.