Bills sign QB Brian Brohm

Bash_Gash

Brohm has had some issues. Many in GB thought he was the savior, but he never was able to put it together there and was unable to beat out street free agents.

That said, coming out of college I remember Peter King comparing him to Jim Kelly. No joke. He has a big arm (though not as big as Kelly's) and led a pro offense under Petrino at Louisville. He's an intriguing project.

I wouldn't get too excited about this, all of that said. But, the Bills are doing what they should've been doing for the last four years: hording young QBs and trying to develop them.

Absolutely. I'm a staunch proponent of drafting a qb in the late rounds and/or inviting in UDFAs - every year.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you're serious or not, but the Packers have always been loaded with QBs. Farve, Matt Hasselback, Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks are some former GB backups that have become starters in the league.

Brohm was considered a 1st rounder before his senior season and fell in the draft. But in this late in the season to get a still young QB with considerable talent is definitely worth a shot, no matter who you have on the roster. I think it's a great move with nothing but upside. And if it doesn't work, what do we lose? I won't mind using the last 4 games as his audition.

I like your thinking biscuit and i totally agree brohm was a 2nd round draft pick just two years ago. Was a more proven college qb than anyone we've had on our roster in years, and if he continues to underachieve so what it's a chance i like.

Anybody think that maybe Trent is still suffering lingering effects on this last concussion and they might IR him? Just a thought...

As far as Brohm is concerned, he is a warm body. 32 teams had the chance to sign him for 8 weeks. 32 teams did not think he was better than the 3rd string QB they already had on their roster. That says a lot.

I have a feeling AVP's playbook is going to open up now that Dick is gone. He'll be auditioning for next season - what does he have to lose? Hard to imagine Fewell dictating anything offensively...if I was AVP I'd be rearing to go! Maybe this is why he hasn't spoken to the media - he's been busy transcribing plays from Madden 2010.

:thumbsup:

Seriously, what freaking difference can any new QB make to this team at this point, are the coaches that stupid?

The O line is in such shambles If I were Edwards I'd fake an injury to sit out the rest of the season, I'm hoping they don't play him and ruin him more then he already is.

So this staff of clowns goes out and gets another lamb for slaughter rather then shore up the line, unreal.

Come on. You act like it has been tough trying to replace those overpaid under performing greedy fat slobs we used to have. For example LTs like Peters are a dime a dozen!!! ......Oh.....wait.....riiiiiight.

NEGATIVES: Cannot escape the rush. Does not have the arm strength necessary to drive deep throws. Gets rattled under the blitz and loses confidence in the face of pressure.

Sounds like a perfect compliment to our group of QBs. No doubt the crowd here will fully embrace him. :thumbsup:

Interesting turnabout for Brohm, as he turned down offers in September to join other clubs to stay on Green Bay's PS. Bills must have told him he'd have a legit shot to compete for No. 1, while he knows he'd be backing up Rodgers for a long time in GB.

Not for nuttin, but I like that attitude, as opposed to the uncrusted white toast that we've had at the position for a while.

Do they really have to tell him that he'd have a shot? I'd think that any semi-intelligent QB could figure that out just by looking.

I don't know if you're serious or not, but the Packers have always been loaded with QBs. Farve, Matt Hasselback, Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks are some former GB backups that have become starters in the league.

Wait, what? Hasselbeck was on the Packers back in '99, Brunell back in '94, Favre was never a backup in GB, and Aaron Brooks was drafted as Favre's successor, only a backup waiting till he retired. Sorry, but none of that has any relevance as to why Brohm might be a good quarterback. Green Bay hasn't been producing quarterbacks like Denver used to produce running backs. Before Aaron Rodgers was there, if I'm not mistaken, the only other QB on the roster was Doug Peterson, and he isn't being inducted into Canton any time soon.

Am I the only one at least thinking that they might give Trent the axe toady? He's been benched. There's no way they'll extend his contract or carry him as a lame-duck back-up next year. Neither starting receiver seems to like him, nor did they even offer a ceremonious defense of him when he was benched. Jim Kelly threw him under the bus.

Did the current regiem really prioritize a swapping of the thrid-string QBs for the next coaching staff? Let's just say it wouldn't suprise me if "Captian Checkdown" is checked out of Buffalo later today.

You mean the way J.P. Losman was kept around as a lame duck backup? Or Gregg Williams was kept around as a lame duck coach? Edwards isn't going anywhere. Not yet.

I do not think anybody is saying that. All people are saying is that this is move has the potential to be a low risk/high reward type of signing. If it does not work out, so what, it did not cost the bills any compensation.

His junior year, Brohm was slated to go with a top 10 pick.

I like the pickup just as you said, it's low risk/high [potential] reward. But people get a little too hyped up about this stuff. Being beaten out by 'street' quarterbacks as someone said says a lot. Being a potential top 10 pick well before he was actually drafted is completely irrelevant.

Doesn't the fact that the Packers tried to keep him mean they like him better than the current number 3 guy? I mean if he had accepted the offer he would go on the active roster and a QB would be released unless, Flynn would have been put on the practice squad.

What #3? The Packers only carry two QB's.

Hmmm, could be, could also move him to ir and try to offload him during preseason for a pick.

Is that a serious comment? You don't really think Trent Edwards has trade value at this point, do you?

Come on. You act like it has been tough trying to replace those overpaid under performing greedy fat slobs we used to have. For example LTs like Peters are a dime a dozen!!! ......Oh.....wait.....riiiiiight.

Yeah, 'cause Peters is having an $11M/season in Philly right now... :thumbsup:

As per Rotoworld.com

Bills signed QB Brian Brohm off the Packers' practice squad.

Brohm is unlikely to make a difference in Buffalo, but he's a worthwhile late-season pickup with the Bills going nowhere. The 2008 second-round pick lacked confidence throughout his 1 1/2-year stay in Green Bay. He has NFL-caliber tools, but probably needs a miracle-working position coach to fix his mindset. Brohm will finish out 2009 as Buffalo's No. 4 quarterback.

Is he worth mentioning and possible backup QB next year?

I wonder if this was just a carrot (a very small one at that) to show Shanahan, or whomever, that the Bill are not married to Fitz or TE?

I like your thinking biscuit and i totally agree brohm was a 2nd round draft pick just two years ago. Was a more proven college qb than anyone we've had on our roster in years, and if he continues to underachieve so what it's a chance i like.

It's a good call. They loose nothing. TE and Fitz won't get it done. See what Brohm has, and draft another QB next year and have a competition between them.

Oh yea, a revolving door at QB is the answer...

Someone posted we should get more young QB's and horde them to develop them, just who on this staff is going to develop them?

Trent Edwards played great in the opener at NE and once the injuries hit the O line his play started to fall which leads me to believe a few things.

Edwards can easily get the job done if the line is completely healthy. AND ,If the team has time to properly prepare against an opponent they can be competitive, meaning Jauron might have been a hard worker but I suspect he didn't prepare his offense properly each week, and it showed.

Edwards commented about this last season and with a rookie OC that was promoted from QB coach two weeks before the opener just made things worse.

The fact that the Bills currently have 3 healthy QB's and an injured and depleted O line and were forced to move a starting guard to tackle is the reason I made the earlier post in this thread.

Interesting turnabout for Brohm, as he turned down offers in September to join other clubs to stay on Green Bay's PS. Bills must have told him he'd have a legit shot to compete for No. 1, while he knows he'd be backing up Rodgers for a long time in GB.

Not for nuttin, but I like that attitude, as opposed to the uncrusted white toast that we've had at the position for a while.

I like it too -- a lot. If it fails, it's no big deal.

The guys is worth a shot. He is young and his college career was much better than Edwards.

Trent Edwards - 4,693 yards and 32 TD's

-2004 0 300yrd games

-2005 1 300yrd game

-2006 0 300 yrd game

Brian Brohm - 10,775 yards and 70 TD's

-2005 5 300yrd + games

-2006 6 300yrd + games

-2007 7 300yrd + games (3 of those over 400 yrds and 1 over 500 yrds)

Sounds like he has a bit of a sack problem and an earlier article mentioned checkdowns (which sounds way to familiar) but maybe he just needs a change of scenery. Can't be any worse than Edwards, Fitz or Hamden.

This is an absolute great pickup. I have been posting about picking up Brohm since GB put him on their practice squad. I will take it one step further now... he will start some games near the end of the season.... is this a Shannahan move or a Fewell move?