The Bills #1 pick in the 2010 Draft will be QB...

Ryan Mallett from Arkansas.

I know it's early, but Jake Locker will probably be gone before we pick, and IMHO Mallett is the second best prospect at the QB position.

Mallett is 6-6 220, and has arguably the strongest arm in college football.

Scouts.Com blurb:

"One of the top junior quarterback prospects in the nation. Has the size, arm strength, (70+ yards), throws a very good deep ball and has the brains both on and off-the-field. Needs to work on his mobility and his short and intermediate passing".

I'm hoping Dave McBride will dust this post off after the draft and bump it to show my keen eye for talent. :lol:

I don't care much to discuss specific college QB's at this point, but this is going to be an item with any major front office person the team interviews. No one wants to fail, and trying to win in the NFL with the likes of Edwards and Fitzpatrick isn't a big selling card. It's probably one of the first things a guy like Shanahan is interested in talking about. No matter how good those guys are, they know rebuilding with what the Bills have now is tantamount to failure.

As much as I would like to see a new LT or dominant DT, this team is going to need a QB. We'll see if it's Locker, Bradford, Clausen, LeFevour, Tebow, whomever. That's for another time.

I know it's early, but Jake Locker will probably be gone before we pick, and IMHO Mallett is the second best prospect at the QB position.

Scouts.Com blurb:

"One of the top junior quarterback prospects in the nation. Has the size, arm strength, (70+ yards), throws a very good deep ball and has the brains both on and off-the-field. Needs to work on his mobility and his short and intermediate passing".

I'm hoping Dave McBride will dust this post off after the draft and bump it to show my keen eye for talent. :lol:

he needs to gain at least 15 lbs...6-6 220 is a !@#$ing twig

Scouts.Com blurb:

I'm hoping Dave McBride will dust this post off after the draft and bump it to show my keen eye for talent. :doh:

Great...fresh meat...

I don't know where they got 220, but its wrong. He's probably in the 240-250 range, but at one point was over 270 at Michigan.

I'd also add that I don't believe he'll declare for this draft. He's only a redshirt sophomore and is in a terrific situation at Arkansas.

Scouts.Com blurb:

I'm hoping Dave McBride will dust this post off after the draft and bump it to show my keen eye for talent. :w00t:

He's actually a red-shirt sophomore with only 12 career starts to date.

ESPN has him listed as 238

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=232007

I don't know where they got 220, but its wrong. He's probably in the 240-250 range, but at one point was over 270 at Michigan.

I'd also add that I don't believe he'll declare for this draft. He's only a redshirt sophomore and is in a terrific situation at Arkansas.

I agree with this. Unless he's going to get picked in the top 5 (not bloody likely), he won't be part of what's expected to be the last major windfall of rookie bonus money, so there's really no incentive for him to leave school early.

That said, I do like the player. His footwork and mechanics need some refining, however, so another year in school will probably benefit him greatly.

Hopefully they don't need to go QB in 1st round...

If the Eagles don't make the playoffs this year, there is talk that they will look to move McNabb and start the Kevin Kolb era. If that is the case i would trade "Beast Mode" and a 4th round pick for McNabb in a heart beat...He's got another good 5 years left in the tank and needs a change of scenery. He would be the best qb (by far) the Bills have had since Kelly retired. I know this is a stretch, but a boy can dream.

Can you image McNabb in a Bills Uniform??? Sure up the O-line, draft a quick running back to back up Freddy with Evans, Hardy and Nelson has weapons the Bills could be relevant pretty quick. McNabb has done well with lesser weapons in the past.

Shannahan and McNabb would be a dream come true...I think I'm aroused at the thought.

Today's Game Stats

Update:

Mallet threw another 5 TD passes today.

With his size, big time arm, and intelligence he is the kind of QB that will fly up the charts once the draft approaches.

I think he will be a top 10 selection in the draft this year(if he comes out) and is a strong possibility to be drafted by the Bills.

This guy has a cannon, and will have no problem throwing at The Ralph or at getting the ball to Evans.

Unless something happens with the league and union before the draft, look for virtually everyone that can opt for the draft with any chance of being picked high to leave school. The NFL is very likely going to go for an NBA type slotting for rookies in the new contract, and the days of the huge signing bonuses for the top 10-15 picks are likely over, or going to be much less starting in 2011. So this may be their last year. If some agent convinces a guy like Mallet that he could be a top ten pick, he will likely jump.

First pick will be Cody or McClain from Alabama. Any other pick would be stupid. They should have taken Cushing insead of loser Maybin. Qb in round 2. Mallet will still be there.

I agree on the talent of both Cody and McClain and think they will both be in the top 15. (can we get them both? :blink: )

Even though I realize we have a ton of needs- you can never or at least should never pass up a franchise QB. There looks to be quite a few QB options in this draft, hopefully we will have the right GM in place to make the proper choice.

Mallett is a very intriguing prospect to me,with his cannon arm and unlimited potential- he will not last to the second round IMHO.

Arkansas will play LSU before the end of the year, that game could have a huge impact on his standing.

As far as taking Cushing over Maybin. Too be honest,I really don't think he was a consideration of the Bills at the time. We needed OL,OL,OL. Cushing has transitioned to the pro game better than I think many thought. (including me) He has had a very good season for the Texans.

Today's Game Stats

Update:

Mallet threw another 5 TD passes today.

With his size, big time arm, and intelligence he is the kind of QB that will fly up the charts once the draft approaches.

I think he will be a top 10 selection in the draft this year(if he comes out) and is a strong possibility to be drafted by the Bills.

This guy has a cannon, and will have no problem throwing at The Ralph or at getting the ball to Evans.

Mallet is certainly the most intriguing QB prospect potentially available. His upside is unreal, especially for a team with deep threats at WR like Buffalo. But his lack of experience means very high risk. Really wasn't that long ago that Andrew Walter was a freshman at ASU setting records and looking like Mallet does now. Time exposes things like, ability to read defenses, stay healthy, handle pressure, deal with adversity, etc.. By the time Walter came out, he was tainted goods.

Mallet is certainly the most intriguing QB prospect potentially available. His upside is unreal, especially for a team with deep threats at WR like Buffalo. But his lack of experience means very high risk. Really wasn't that long ago that Andrew Walter was a freshman at ASU setting records and looking like Mallet does now. Time exposes things like, ability to read defenses, stay healthy, handle pressure, deal with adversity, etc.. By the time Walter came out, he was tainted goods.

I havent seen Mallett, but as an ASU fan, I saw most all of Walter's college games. he had great stats but he was a horrible quarterback and I wouldnt have drafted him in any round. I never thought he had a chance at being a good NFL QB. All he could do is throw long a couple times a game, in college. Everything else he was terrible at. I hope Mallett is nothing like Walter.

As much as I would like to see a new LT or dominant DT, this team is going to need a QB. We'll see if it's Locker, Bradford, Clausen, LeFevour, Tebow, whomever. That's for another time.

I'm pretty sure Clausen unofficially declared for a draft about 30 minutes ago. He won't stick around for his senior season with a new coach and Weis just sealed his fate with a loss to UCONN.

I don't care much to discuss specific college QB's at this point, but this is going to be an item with any major front office person the team interviews. No one wants to fail, and trying to win in the NFL with the likes of Edwards and Fitzpatrick isn't a big selling card. It's probably one of the first things a guy like Shanahan is interested in talking about. No matter how good those guys are, they know rebuilding with what the Bills have now is tantamount to failure.

I (mostly) agree with the bolded text. But there are two X factors in this equation. One is Brohm, and how well he does in practice between now and the end of the season. The other is whether a non-reach QB will be available for us when we pick. Ultimately, the question the Bills have to ask themselves is, "will the best QB available when they pick be likely to have a significantly better career than Brohm?" The other factor to weigh into the equation is that the Bills need a LT, and the first round of the 2010 draft will be a great time to get one.

Scouts.Com blurb:

I'm hoping Dave McBride will dust this post off after the draft and bump it to show my keen eye for talent. :blink:

Let's hope not.

I havent seen Mallett, but as an ASU fan, I saw most all of Walter's college games. he had great stats but he was a horrible quarterback and I wouldnt have drafted him in any round. I never thought he had a chance at being a good NFL QB. All he could do is throw long a couple times a game, in college. Everything else he was terrible at. I hope Mallett is nothing like Walter.

Yeah, but in Walter's freshman season he took over the job early in the season and he looked incredible and was tearing it up. Unfortunately, that was the high point of his college career. Like I said, by the time he came out he was exposed. I brought him up because he was also in that giant, huge armed, pocket passer with big numbers mold. Mallet played sparingly as a freshman at Michigan and has about one full season of college football under his belt at this point. I've watched both, and there is some simialarity in that neither seemed to necessarily possess that "it" quality despite their impressive passing. As impressed as I have been with Mallet, I think they lost some games he could have won for them but did not.

If they draft a QB in the first round you can kiss the playoffs good-bye for another 3 years. The only hope is to draft the best lineman available followed by an OLB in round two. A QB should be taken later.

Not necessarily. In well run organizations there is room for error and therefore opportunity to take risks. The past decade here that hasn't been the case. Hopefully that changes. As Belichick said in a recent article, to become a bad team you really have to make A LOT of bad decisions not just one or a few.

Dick Drawn: I very much agree with you that he is intriguing and that's why I originally wanted to throw his name out here on the board. Like you said he still has much to prove. If he runs the gauntlet of playing well against LSU when they meet and he wows at both the combine and his pro day, I can see him making a big rise in the draft (like Cutler and Flacco did).

I'm not saying the Bills MUST draft him, just throwing him out there as a prospect that for any team looking for a franchise QB- he is a MUST watch player.

Dick Drawn: I very much agree with you that he is intriguing and that's why I originally wanted to throw his name out here on the board. Like you said he still has much to prove. If he runs the gauntlet of playing well against LSU when they meet and he wows at both the combine and his pro day, I can see him making a big rise in the draft (like Cutler and Flacco did).

I'm not saying the Bills MUST draft him, just throwing him out there as a prospect that for any team looking for a franchise QB- he is a MUST watch player.

I agree. If he keeps going in the direction he has been, enters the draft and shows well in testing it will be hard to pass on a guy like that. Yeah, they need help in a lot of spots but QB is one of them and it's the most important position on the team.

If they draft a QB in the first round you can kiss the playoffs good-bye for another 3 years. The only hope is to draft the best lineman available followed by an OLB in round two. A QB should be taken later.

The Bills' quarterback situation is currently broken. They can write off any hope of going deep into the playoffs until they get that problem fixed. Period.

How often do you see a top-notch quarterback who didn't come from the first round? Yeah, Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round, but that was back in 2000. How many Tom Brady stories have there been since then? Drew Brees was taken very early in the second round. I'm sure there are some other cases of good quarterbacks having been taken later than round #1. But not many. Not many at all.

I figure the new regime is going to draft a DB in the first round just to torment Bill from NYC :blink:

Please. Joke about torturing animals, or blowing up buildings, or poison in the water supply. Please joke about anything, as long as it's less bad than taking a DB in the first round!!!

Scouts.Com blurb:

I'm hoping Dave McBride will dust this post off after the draft and bump it to show my keen eye for talent. :blink:

Mallett is only a (RS)Sophomore and it's very unlikely he'll declare yet, maybe after next season though. He knows he's got to work on somethings first. If he stays one more year he could very well be the #1 overall pick in 2011.