Which current NFL QB do you think is most similar to Jim Kelly?

OnTheRocks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rivers = Marino, quick almost sidearm release. Will never win the big one cause the running game sucks or the WRs suck, either or.

Aaron Rodgers reminds me the most of Kelly. Tough guy, throws into tight spots even after he gets picked off for the same throw. Rodgers will be a great one when its all said and done.

Rodgers leads NFL QBs in rushing yards, Kelly could not run at all. But they do have similar passing numbers

Definitely Rivers...

Same Arm

Same trust in his ability to fit it in tight places

Same immeasurable "clutch" ability

Same confidence

Same fire in his belly

He's a little more arrogant than Jim though... Not that Jim wasn't but...

IMO, arrogance is being cocky and loud about something you can't do. Confidence is knowing you can do the things you say. There's a fine line there, IMO.

I agree with those who say Big Ben.

To me Big Ben could more closely be compared to Fran Tarkenton than to Jim Kelly.

Kelly was never a :

"drop back, don't throw it on time but spin around on 3 circles and shove down 2 defenders and wait for your receiver to break off his route" guy

I don't see the similarities at all other than they are both big and tough.

Brett Favre has always reminded me of Jimbo, and I wonder sometimes if Kelly would not have made a comeback with Baltimore to play for Marchibroda again, if not for Hunter's terrible illness that was discovered the year after Jim's retirement. I see a young Kelly in Rothlesberger, the way Big ben bumps into lineman, runs out of trouble and fires the ball for a first down. I watched Kelly make plays like that weekly in his first 5 years or so in Buffalo, until his knee injuries began taking their toll. Finally, Peyton Manning - the way he runs the "slow no-huddle", but calls out audibles all day and finds the open man, reminds me of Kelly's full speed no-huddle. Of course, as much as Kelly will always be my all time favorite Bill, even I am forced to admit Manning has a lot more natural talent and a more acurate arm then Jimbo ever had. Even so, someday Peyton will be welcomed into the same HOF that Jimbo resides in.

No way Kelly was considering a comeback. He was physically done and he wanted to be a first ballot HOFer and never would have made it if Elway and Marino or Young were on the ballot.

I don't think any of them are as tough as Jim. Big Ben come close but is off by a few miles. Remember this, Jim Kelly once broken a defensive player's leg by tackling him after an interception. He also broke Jim Harbaugh's hand with his jaw. I cannot see any of the above mentioned QBs do that.

Carson Palmer

I was thinking that there wasn't any QB right now that really reminded me of Kelly. Then you mention Palmer. I agree.

Rivers is way too spoiled brattish as far as personality, and not near as good (please don't pull out stats, Kelly has way more clutch wins)

"Big Ben" is too quiet and not as flashy as Kelly (but the thing about him being more mobile than a young Jim Kelly, no way. Kelly was a roll out, Run & Shoot QB early on, it wasn't til later that he had the slow feet, because he was wearing knee braces, etc)

Peyton Manning picks apart defenses, uses the no huddle, and audibles correctly like Kelly used to. The thing that they share the most is the swagger. Their team was always in the game as long as they had the ball in his hands. Something Edwards and Fitz lack

Kelly was more butch, Manning was more swagger. Or is it the other way around?

I was thinking that there wasn't any QB right now that really reminded me of Kelly. Then you mention Palmer. I agree.

Rivers is way too spoiled brattish as far as personality, and not near as good (please don't pull out stats, Kelly has way more clutch wins)

"Big Ben" is too quiet and not as flashy as Kelly (but the thing about him being more mobile than a young Jim Kelly, no way. Kelly was a roll out, Run & Shoot QB early on, it wasn't til later that he had the slow feet, because he was wearing knee braces, etc)

Thank you...folks have short memories... Kelly was hardly Steve Young in his prime, but he wasn't completely imobile either. People are making it sound like he was a like Drew Bedsore...

I think the Roethlisberger comparisons are valid...though Jimbo may have had more talent around him. Don't laugh, but at his best, Jay Cutler has a little bit of Jimbo in him as well.

Phillip Rivers for sure. Have always thought so since his rookie year.

I'll get flamed for this but one similarity shared by Kelly and Rivers is that neither of them have a Elway/Favre howitzer arm.

Yes, both Kelly and Rivers have plenty of arm but if you watch them play, their talent is throwing an accurate and catchable ball.

When I see old Bills video, I'm always struck by how much TOUCH, Kelly threw with. Same with Rivers.

Peyton Manning picks apart defenses, uses the no huddle, and audibles correctly like Kelly used to. The thing that they share the most is the swagger. Their team was always in the game as long as they had the ball in his hands. Something Edwards and Fitz lack

The way Peyton runs the no huddle, the audibles, the 3 WR offense that they operate out of....always reminds me of the good ole' Bills days....so I would say Peyton