2010 MOCK DRAFT

papazoid

Interesting mock in that like the draft which saw the Bills take Whitner at #8 this draft has two safeties going in the first ten picks. Though a loud conventional wisdom expressed on TSW was that you never spend a top 10 on a safety, this draft has the first LT dropping to the Bills at #6 because two safties go in the top 5 (since they state DB Berry is am Ed Reed type I assume they have him pegged at safety.

Even a fan like me who realizes this ain't your Grandma's NFL anymore after safeties Sanders and Polamalu played a central role in leading their teams to SB victories I think that the NFL has clearly demonstrated that a top 10 safety pick is actually the norm these days.

However, 1 safety picks in the top 5 is a bit rich for my blood and I doubt the Bills get a shot at the first LT off the board.

i want locker or tebow.

14 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: TIM TEBOW, QB, FLORIDA

Scouting Report

Surprised? Crazier things have happened on Draft Day and I am really starting to believe that someone will select Florida’s Tim Tebow much earlier than they should. Remember, it only takes one team.

That quote just screamed Maybin to me.

Okung is the best pass protector by far in college. Reminds me of Joe Thomas without the height. He leaves much to be desireded as a run blocker though.

Agreed, and leaves a guy like Mallet or Snead on the board for them in the 2nd.

I do like that he rebounded from back-to-back poor performances against Florida and Ole Miss (ranked #2 and #23 in the nation in pass defense, respectively) with dynamite performances against Eastern Michigan (3rd in nation in pass defense) and S. Carolina (7th in pass defense). My question is: will he come out as a third-year sophomore, and will this team be patient enough to let him develop as he needs to?

Man, all of this drafting a QB talk is way too premature. It will do no good to have Tom Brady or one of the Manning's under center if he is always on his arse.

The Bills need an offensive line. I like Wood, Hangartner, Levitre, and Butler. McKinney is good depth. I hope that Meredith and Bell do mature into starting offensive tackles for the Bills, but neither should be starting right now.

Chambers is horrible. I'm not too fond of Scott.

Right now, with losing Chambers and Scott and having both MEredith and Bell on the #2 roles at the tackle positions, the depth would be ok. This would also give a project like Bell time to mature and grow into the position.

But a real LT (I would draft #1 this year on a LT), and perhaps a later round RT and/or free agent would help round out the line.

Any other focus other than the line would be a colossal mistake (that includes picks for the secondary).

great post.....but it's gotten so bad that, after 8 weeks of one season we're already discussing next season's draft......the NFL needs to step in and do something about the bills' ownership situation - waiting until this one is dead is NOT a good strategy for the fan base....

Man, all of this drafting a QB talk is way too premature. It will do no good to have Tom Brady or one of the Manning's under center if he is always on his arse.

The Bills need an offensive line. I like Wood, Hangartner, Levitre, and Butler. McKinney is good depth. I hope that Meredith and Bell do mature into starting offensive tackles for the Bills, but neither should be starting right now.

Right now, with losing Chambers and Scott and having both MEredith and Bell on the #2 roles at the tackle positions, the depth would be ok. This would also give a project like Bell time to mature and grow into the position.

But a real LT (I would draft #1 this year on a LT), and perhaps a later round RT and/or free agent would help round out the line.

Any other focus other than the line would be a colossal mistake (that includes picks for the secondary).

Yep! :pirate: Well stated.

They also need big players on the front 7 or teams will continue to run at will.

I agree with just about everything you said except I think Butler could be our RT (he woudl have been this year if not for injury) and play well enough to be decent to good.

Draft the best OL'men in the draft with your 1st pick, possibly a QB if there is a decent one there with your 2nd pick, or a starting caliber LB (Poz, Mitchell, Ellison just arent cutting it). But all this means absolutely nothing if we still have the same FO, Coachs, Scouts making the picks.

great post.....but it's gotten so bad that, after 8 weeks of one season we're already discussing next season's draft......the NFL needs to step in and do something about the bills' ownership situation - waiting until this one is dead is NOT a good strategy for the fan base....

You voted for Obama didn't you. Wilson paid for the team that's why he owns it hence he calls the shots I didn't know Blue was a communists color.

So what's the plan then? Build up an elite line, then try to win the Super Bowl with a rookie QB? How about trying to find a QB while trying to fix the line?

I think everyone understands that you need good O-line play to win in the NFL, but QB remains the most important position in football. In the NFL, you either have a quarterback or you're looking for a quarterback. We fall into the latter category. That doesn't mean we have to or should ignore the O-line.

I respectfully disagree, Red.

I'm not obtuse enough to say that Buffalo doesn't need improvements along the o-line, but a top-notch QB would solve most of the problems with the offense in one move. Granted, a good o-line gives an average QB more time and thus a better chance of being successful, but a great QB can be successful despite his o-line.

Compare a team like Pittsburgh to a team like Tennessee.

- Pittsburgh is tied with Buffalo through 8 games with 23 sacks allowed, good for the 7th most in the league. Buffalo is fortunate to be 3-5 (thanks to two horrific performances form opposing QBs), while Pittsburgh is 6-2, with both losses coming without their best defensive player. They also own victories over 6-2 Denver and 7-1 Minnesota. The two teams have very similar running games as well--Buffalo averages 110.0 ypg (19th in the NFL) vs. Pittsburgh's 115.2 ypg (15th). Defensively, Pittsburgh allows an average of 17.4 ppg to Buffalo's 21.1, so there is something to be said for defensive play, but I think the major difference is QB play. Big Ben ranks 4th in the league in QB rating, 5th in passing ypg, 9th in TDs (3 behind 1st place), and 1st in ypa (which I understand that most analysts consider to be a more telling stat than QB rating even). I'm not proposing that Ben's doing it all on his own, but I think it's a very good example of why QB play is paramount to offensive productivity.

On to Tennessee:

- They've allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL (4), and their running game employs the NFL's leading rusher in Chris Johnson, yet they rank 30th in the league in total offense and needed back-to-back wins just to get to 2-6. Defensively, they rank 31st in the NFL, and own the league's worst pass defense. However, they managed to win 2 straight games by simply switching QBs. Now I'm not saying that Vince Young is the answer for them, but it's another great example of how offensive line play is almost negligible compared to the impact that QB play has on an offense.

So I say Buffalo should take their shot at getting an elite QB. Even if they get it wrong, I'd rather they keep at it until they've got the right guy behind center, since that's what I believe will get the team pointed in the right direction. As for who that should be, I need some time on that one...I'm not nearly ready with my draft stuff yet to start throwing out names.

As for the OL, I favor the idea of moving Wood back to his natural center position, letting Butler play RG, and drafting (after a QB, of course) multiple OTs in rounds 2 through 7 to compete with Bell and Meredith (the rest of the picks should be devoted to DT and LB--figure a total of 1 QB, 3 OTs, 2 LBs and 2 DTs).

Just my 1 cent.

I do like that he rebounded from back-to-back poor performances against Florida and Ole Miss (ranked #2 and #23 in the nation in pass defense, respectively) with dynamite performances against Eastern Michigan (3rd in nation in pass defense) and S. Carolina (7th in pass defense). My question is: will he come out as a third-year sophomore, and will this team be patient enough to let him develop as he needs to?

With the uncertainty of the new CBA and a salary slotting system on the horizon I think anyone who is able to come out this year will. I think if they don't go QB in the first round, and I hope they go OT, either Edwards or another veteran QB will be the starter for next season. This then making the drafted QB 2nd or perhaps 3rd on the depth chart to develop and compete for the starting spot in 2011.

I agree with just about everything you said except I think Butler could be our RT (he woudl have been this year if not for injury) and play well enough to be decent to good.

Draft the best OL'men in the draft with your 1st pick, possibly a QB if there is a decent one there with your 2nd pick, or a starting caliber LB (Poz, Mitchell, Ellison just arent cutting it). But all this means absolutely nothing if we still have the same FO, Coachs, Scouts making the picks.

Right, let's not forget about Butler coming back next year from injury. Hopefully then a 1st round OT could step in and start at LT moving Bell and Meredith to the bench.

I respectfully disagree, Red.

I'm not obtuse enough to say that Buffalo doesn't need improvements along the o-line, but a top-notch QB would solve most of the problems with the offense in one move. Granted, a good o-line gives an average QB more time and thus a better chance of being successful, but a great QB can be successful despite his o-line.

Compare a team like Pittsburgh to a team like Tennessee.

- Pittsburgh is tied with Buffalo through 8 games with 23 sacks allowed, good for the 7th most in the league. Buffalo is fortunate to be 3-5 (thanks to two horrific performances form opposing QBs), while Pittsburgh is 6-2, with both losses coming without their best defensive player. They also own victories over 6-2 Denver and 7-1 Minnesota. The two teams have very similar running games as well--Buffalo averages 110.0 ypg (19th in the NFL) vs. Pittsburgh's 115.2 ypg (15th). Defensively, Pittsburgh allows an average of 17.4 ppg to Buffalo's 21.1, so there is something to be said for defensive play, but I think the major difference is QB play. Big Ben ranks 4th in the league in QB rating, 5th in passing ypg, 9th in TDs (3 behind 1st place), and 1st in ypa (which I understand that most analysts consider to be a more telling stat than QB rating even). I'm not proposing that Ben's doing it all on his own, but I think it's a very good example of why QB play is paramount to offensive productivity.

On to Tennessee:

- They've allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL (4), and their running game employs the NFL's leading rusher in Chris Johnson, yet they rank 30th in the league in total offense and needed back-to-back wins just to get to 2-6. Defensively, they rank 31st in the NFL, and own the league's worst pass defense. However, they managed to win 2 straight games by simply switching QBs. Now I'm not saying that Vince Young is the answer for them, but it's another great example of how offensive line play is almost negligible compared to the impact that QB play has on an offense.

So I say Buffalo should take their shot at getting an elite QB. Even if they get it wrong, I'd rather they keep at it until they've got the right guy behind center, since that's what I believe will get the team pointed in the right direction. As for who that should be, I need some time on that one...I'm not nearly ready with my draft stuff yet to start throwing out names.

As for the OL, I favor the idea of moving Wood back to his natural center position, letting Butler play RG, and drafting (after a QB, of course) multiple OTs in rounds 2 through 7 to compete with Bell and Meredith (the rest of the picks should be devoted to DT and LB--figure a total of 1 QB, 3 OTs, 2 LBs and 2 DTs).

Just my 1 cent.

Excellent post. I'd add that in addition to drafting multiple OTs, I'd like to see at least 1 veteran brought in with the aim of starting. If said veteran got beat out by a rookie or one of our holdovers, great.