What's Our FO's Dumbest Move of the 2000's

Great minds think alike. I was just pondering all of the FO mistakes and I narrowed it down to the top of the '06 draft. Marv really set this franchise back with that one. They wouldn't even consider Ngata or Bunkley because they didn't fit the system :censored: , then they declined offers to trade down and gain picks. Denver (who wanted Cutler) and Philly made offers to trade up to 8.

Let me throw some more names at you:

D. Joseph

N. Mangold

They could have drafted either one of them AND had an extra second round pick. Instead, they took Whitner.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drafting Mike Williams.

Drafting Whitner over Ngata.

Hiring Donahoe, Williams, Mularkey and Jauron.

Letting Pat Williams go.

Drafting McGahee.

Allof the above...and failing to draft Oher this year over Maybin.

Failing to sign Steve Hutchinson when he was a free agent and available. He was playing with the Vikings (along with McKinney) last I looked.

I'd have to say firing Wade Phillips as well.

The shame of it is that this list could go on...and on ...and on.

Allof the above...and failing to draft Oher this year over Maybin.

Failing to sign Steve Hutchinson when he was a free agent and available. He was playing with the Vikings (along with McKinney) last I looked.

I'd have to say firing Wade Phillips as well.

The shame of it is that this list could go on...and on ...and on.

I have seen every game this year. What am I missing? Why does everyone seem convinced that Maybin is a bust? I don't think he has been allowed to play near enough (with all that front line talent on the roster in front of him) to make such a claim.

Does anyone, at this point, trust that this coaching staff is putting its' best players on the field every week? Are they putting their squad in the best position to win every week? Who was the last player who has improved under the current coaching staff? Let's let Maybin play for someone other than Jauron, before we crucify this kid. What little I have seen of him, it is apparent that he is athletic. Remember when Bennett came to Buffalo? It was about 6 games into the season....he hadn't practiced, didn't know the defense. Yet, Marv put him in during pass rush situations, and he absolutely wreaked havoc on Elway and the Broncos... why can't the current Bills staff find any way to use their #8 pick, to help contribute to a win? Success breeds more success, they say...

The New Year is approaching ... what is your opinion on the ONE WORST Front Office move of this decade?

My pick .... Willis McGahee ... 2003 draft section #23. We passed on:Larry Johnson (#27), Dallas Clark (#24), Rashean Mathis (#39), Anquan Boldin (#54), Osi Umenyiora (#56), Lance Briggs (#68), Jason Witten (#69)

Ok. so hindsight is 20/20 and we didn't know these guys would be good... but did we really need a RB??? Travis Henry in the preceding year (2002) had 1,438 yards and 13 TDs...

in fact in 2003 (while Willis was on IR) Henry had:

1,356 yards and 10 TDs.

Once Willis was in he struggled to do what Henry already had done ..

2006 Buffalo Bills 990 yards 6TDs

2005 Buffalo Bills 1,247 yards 5 TDs

2004 Buffalo Bills 1,128 yards 13 TDs

So essentially, we gave up a 1st round pick... sat on him a year... and he gave us a little less than what we already had. I know there are probably worse ones out there... guys who didn't even make it as starters...but this one still burns me for some reason.

It would be easier to ask what good has the front office done in the 2000's we would'nt have to type so much

Drafting Mike Williams.

Drafting Whitner over Ngata.

Hiring Donahoe, Williams, Mularkey and Jauron.

Letting Pat Williams go.

Drafting McGahee.

I agree with all of this and would add trading up to get McCargo, trading up to get Losman, along with not having a real GM with football experience.

We missed getting Warner, twice.

We didn't go after Brees after he was good from SD

McGahee over anyone near that pick

Kelsay over the other DEs available

Whitner, and wow, what a horrible pick + we could have gotten more picks with getting him

McCargo, nuff said

Matt Schaub 3rd rounder and some of us were wanting him, still could have had him later

McKelvin= Loss of Greer (cheaper to extend) and lost Clady who is a beast

Pat F'n Williams

Missed on not hiring Tom Coughlin and I was calling for him

Why go on?

Here are some decisions I don't think weren't so bad that people think were bad:

Mularky... I think he could have been decent with the right ingredients

Winfield: He got too much in FA

Bledsoe/Owens: gave the fanbase hope and Bledsoe for the 1st half of the year played all world. We gave up too much for him, but he did a lot to give the fans an offense again for 8 games and it rejuvenated the team

The New Year is approaching ... what is your opinion on the ONE WORST Front Office move of this decade?

My pick .... Willis McGahee ... 2003 draft section #23. We passed on:Larry Johnson (#27), Dallas Clark (#24), Rashean Mathis (#39), Anquan Boldin (#54), Osi Umenyiora (#56), Lance Briggs (#68), Jason Witten (#69)

Ok. so hindsight is 20/20 and we didn't know these guys would be good... but did we really need a RB??? Travis Henry in the preceding year (2002) had 1,438 yards and 13 TDs...

1,356 yards and 10 TDs.

So essentially, we gave up a 1st round pick... sat on him a year... and he gave us a little less than what we already had. I know there are probably worse ones out there... guys who didn't even make it as starters...but this one still burns me for some reason.

That was a stunning move I remember watching that draft and thinking the only position we were rock solid was RB we had the hard nosed workhorse Henry.

Donohue was horrible.

1,356 yards and 10 TDs.

Letting guys go in FA which demand the desperation drafting practice.

Lets put the worst of all together. The bills used/traded:

5-First round picks (Including the 4th and 8th overall selections)

2-Second round picks

2-Third round picks

1-Fourth rounder

1-Fifth rounder

And in return got Mike Williams, John McCargo, Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Drew Bledsoe, Whitner and Trentative. Thats not even counting drafting McGahee. Thats the kind of drafting that will set your franchise back a decade.

I agree with frustration about not trading down. For the most part good teams trade down. Good teams accumulate picks. Good teams trade players for picks before losing them in free agency. You want to know whats scary? In the next 2 drafts the Patriots have 3 numbers 1's including Oaklands in 2011 and 4 number 2s(including Tennessee's and Jacksonvilles 2nds in 2010, which are going go to be high 2nd rounders.

Lots of good thoughts in this thread (though I wonder how many of you were *really* complaining about all of moves you now hate).

THIS is just scary:

Lets put the worst of all together. The bills used/traded:

5-First round picks (Including the 4th and 8th overall selections)

2-Second round picks

2-Third round picks

1-Fourth rounder

1-Fifth rounder

And in return got Mike Williams, John McCargo, Rob Johnson, JP Losman, Drew Bledsoe, Whitner and Trentative. Thats not even counting drafting McGahee. Thats the kind of drafting that will set your franchise back a decade.

Just terrible...

But, you have to rewind to just a little before the 2000's to 1996 when the Bills didn't have an adequate (er, ANY) plan to replace Jim Kelly. We haven't had a QB, or much luck, since...

1,356 yards and 10 TDs.

Willis was a bad move but how about trading picks to Dallas to move up and draft JP LOSERMAN. That has to be one of the worst moves not only of the decade but in franchise history.

Some other pathitic picks are:

Eric Flowers

Mike Williams

John McCargo

James Hardy (2nd round)

Aaron Maybin - Too early to tell but I have bad feeling.....The 11th pick in any draft should be able to make an immediate impact. Maybin has been invisible. When Schobel went down against the Texans, who replaced him....Ryan Denney.

Parrish is the only player on the team from the 2005 draft....and probably won't be around much longer.

Oh yea...may as well throw signing TO in there too. Waste of 6.5 million.

1,356 yards and 10 TDs.

The Bills got 2 third round picks for Mcgahee as well as a few decent years of production. The Bills dumbest move has to be Pat Williams here is why.

Why wouldn't you sign the guy? He wasn't asking for the moon in terms of salary he just wanted fair value (Minnesota didn't offer him much more then we I think the difference was just a few hundred grand a year). ON TOP OF THAT he wanted to stay in Buffalo he still lives here in the offseason. The fans loved him and he was one of the best DT's in the league at the time he left.

And it gets worse. What has he done in Minnesota well all he did was just stay at the top of his game for the next 3-4 seasons. And even now at age 37 is still a top 16 if not top 10 DT in the league. We failed to replace him for 3 seasons and saw the consequences of not having a run stuffing DT. Not because the guy wanted to leave or took the biggest offer out there (Winfield, Clements, and Fletcher) but because of stupidity.

Yeah there are draft mistakes but hind sight is 20/20 its easy to say we should have drafted player Y over player X. But that move was dumb at the time. TD screwed the pooch big time and we as fans paid the cost.