Death Row or Bad Boy

well, maybe i replied too hastily

you are correct that good music, specifically to this discussion good rap, died with Pac and Biggie. no one could do it like them, and no one has been able to since. they had a way of speaking the truth, sometimes the truth no one wanted to hear, and do it in a very artistic way. Since then, all the wanna-be copy cats combined havent even come up with as many original ideas as either Biggie or Tupac. and theyre all little fakers. and theyre all just trying to do it for show.

if that's what you meant, then i apologize and agree with you.

but if you were going to go into "raps not music", then... yeah, the steely dan thread... :thumbsup:

I did not say rap was the death of music, it is the death of good music. There's a big difference.

Occasionally a former co-worker will send me one of Aaron Karo's ruminations. Today he sent this:

"If you were to go back in time to 1994 and tell Dr. Dre that in 15 years he'd be doing Dr. Pepper commercials, do you think he'd just laugh at you or shoot you in the face?"

lol no schitt right? actually, i think he wouldnt be too surprised and happy to hear the plan worked. the thing about rap is, there is no "selling out" like there is in rock. sure there is an underground hip hop scene, but rap's entire plan is to make money and become a household name and make more money.

but i know what you mean, you see this pic of Ice Cube "Then and Now"?

well, maybe i replied too hastily

you are correct that good music, specifically to this discussion good rap, died with Pac and Biggie. no one could do it like them, and no one has been able to since. they had a way of speaking the truth, sometimes the truth no one wanted to hear, and do it in a very artistic way. Since then, all the wanna-be copy cats combined havent even come up with as many original ideas as either Biggie or Tupac. and theyre all little fakers. and theyre all just trying to do it for show.

I think Jay-Z has carried the rap scene with some accord. His flow may not be to the level of Tupac and Biggie but the way he's evolved over the years has been intriguing. I like the live stuff and using of actual instruments he's been doing lately. Very tastey! :unsure:

All I know is Death Row was some crazy ****. I remember watching some documentary about them back in the day and Suge Knight had half that place employed with bloods and the other half with crips. Everybody was packin heat there and I guess just alot of overall tension, lots of fights and people getting their ass kicked, people drinking and smoking weed there. Must have been an absolutely chaotic place to "work".

you cant fairly compare 2pac and biggie, or death row and badboy. here's why:

2pac was known as more of a social issue rapper. songs like brenda's got a baby, keep your head up, letter to the president, ect were all making a statement about how he saw the world around him. now i'm not saying the guy didnt make party songs and some "gangsta shizzle", but pac's most important contribution to music was calling it how he seen it on social issues.

now biggie was a story teller. songs like warning, suicidal thoughts, who shot ya, i got a story to tell, ect. the guy was great at painting a picture with words. and never once can i remember big ever making a song relevant to social issues.

so the two can't be compared the way i see it. way too different in styles, flow, and delievery.

as for death row and bad boy, death row was straight gangsta having limited radio play with the exception of dre, snoop, and later pac, while bad boy was more rap-pop and party music and had tons of radio play with biggie, ma$e, the lox, 112, craig mack,puff daddy, p diddy, diddy, sean combs, or what ever the hell the guy calls himself now.

you cant fairly compare 2pac and biggie, or death row and badboy. here's why:

2pac was known as more of a social issue rapper. songs like brenda's got a baby, keep your head up, letter to the president, ect were all making a statement about how he saw the world around him. now i'm not saying the guy didnt make party songs and some "gangsta shizzle", but pac's most important contribution to music was calling it how he seen it on social issues.

now biggie was a story teller. songs like warning, suicidal thoughts, who shot ya, i got a story to tell, ect. the guy was great at painting a picture with words. and never once can i remember big ever making a song relevant to social issues.

so the two can't be compared the way i see it. way too different in styles, flow, and delievery.

as for death row and bad boy, death row was straight gangsta having limited radio play with the exception of dre, snoop, and later pac, while bad boy was more rap-pop and party music and had tons of radio play with biggie, ma$e, the lox, 112, craig mack,puff daddy, p diddy, diddy, sean combs, or what ever the hell the guy calls himself now.

great break down, cant disagree. forgot that mack was part of bb. he was pre-biggie so he always gets overshadowed.

And take the size sticker off the brim

I thought those were metallic buttons or something with the logo of the hat company. It wasn't until I picked one up in a store and realized it was just a size sticker. Seems like a pretty bizarre fashion statement, but I guess they're all expressing their individuality.

Seems like a pretty bizarre fashion statement, but I guess they're all expressing their individuality.

Yep, by looking like every other hipster doofus. :thumbsup:

Like Chef's sig line:

"Freedom from the need to be trendy must be one of the biggest blessings of old age."