Goodell wants NFL to expand to London?

Mark Vader

http://www.nfl.com/international/story?id=...mp;confirm=true

:rolleyes:

The overseas games are fine. I'm sure they bring in money, but enough of this talk of giving London an NFL team, that would be just plain stupid.

Goodell needs to reign in his ambitions.

Although, it might be easier getting a franchise in London than in Los Angeles.

What doesn't make sense to me is the flights to and from London, if they were to get a team. For any west coast team traveling to London or vice versa you're looking at an 8 hour time difference and a 11-13 hour non-stop flight. It doesn't seem feasible for treams to have to travel that far to play on somewhat of a regular basis.

I can already see having to compute British pounds into American dollars to find out who the top paid players are. I think it's best to keep football teams in America and just expand the amount of internationally played games. Much more practical. They're are 2 games now if you count Toronto and I think they are looking to do 8 neutral site games. Meaning every 4 years each team on average would play one international game, seems fair.

What doesn't make sense to me is the flights to and from London, if they were to get a team. For any west coast team traveling to London or vice versa you're looking at an 8 hour time difference and a 11-13 hour non-stop flight. It doesn't seem feasible for treams to have to travel that far to play on somewhat of a regular basis.

I can already see having to compute British pounds into American dollars to find out who the top paid players are. I think it's best to keep football teams in America and just expand the amount of internationally played games. Much more practical. They're are 2 games now if you count Toronto and I think they are looking to do 8 neutral site games. Meaning every 4 years each team on average would play one international game, seems fair.

Yeah, that would be difficult. :rolleyes:

a franchise in london is much more than one decade away......playing more than one regular season game a year there and elsewhere, is highly likely as the NFL seeks ways to build/increase their "brand" globally (merchandise sales & TV revenue). The bills have started the "international" process with games shared/being played in Toronto. Look for the Cowboys to do the same thing in Mexico City once the schedule increases to 18 games. I certainly see Los Angeles getting a franchise before London (a relocation move from San Diego, Jax or Raiders again)......i don't see an expansion above 32 teams in the next 20 years.

I wonder if it's possible that a London team would be HQed in the United States, for immigration and payroll purposes, and really just play its games in the UK.

Still, though, I think this is more of a marketing strategy for the London series than an actual plan. "Oh yeah, Brits - come enjoy the game, you might even get a team of your own!" It's unlikely.

Um. Pound is going to **** even worse than the dollar...

Trip to London 3/09 1 pound cost $1.46. Next trip 2 weeks ago, pound cost $1.61. It's brutal.

As for income taxes, under Obamacare's tax on the wealthy, an athlete living in NYC will see %60 of every dollar he earns go to taxes (fed, state, local, property). Not much different than tax burden in UK (maybe less, actually), except he will have more buying power in UK.

Goodell embodies all that is wrong with the NFL. Almost every decision he makes benefits the new, big market owners, corporations and, now, foreign markets at the expense of the small market teams and fans that have been the foundation of the league.