Jairus Byrd

bills_red

Poor guy - it must suck to be this pessimistic. If passes were being thrown right to him you might have a point. But Byrd is making PLAYS downfield and has great hands. I don't give a !@#$ who the QBs are - Byrd has some serious game.

Keeping a level head is important with this team. How many times I've seen a good win (SD-08, WAS-07) and been let down is what I keep in the back of my head.

Forgive me for questioning this team, they've left fans disappointed more often than not this decade. I'm glad one win is enough to forget all the bad losses.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's important to give credit where credit is due: Byrd made 2 picks and the team had 5 on Sanchez. If we want to talk defense, it's important to note they've allowed nearly 1100 yards rushing in 6 games. That's abysmal and teams are going to be running much more than they throw on this defense.

If the Bills can't stop the run, Byrd won't be seeing many passes, and there won't always be a Derek Anderson or rookie throwing them. No OC in their right mind would allow it.

I'm not in any way saying the Bills played a good game. Nor am I suggesting that Byrd is a great player. I'm just saying, he looked good today doing exactly what they said they drafted him for. Yes, he needs to improve. Yes, the LBs need to play the run better. But, its nice to see a young guy that's drafted to get interceptions get some playing time and actually get some interceptions.

He had a good game, that's all. Sometimes we can see something shiny amongst the tarnished backdrop of our dispair.

It's important to give credit where credit is due: Byrd made 2 picks and the team had 5 on Sanchez. If we want to talk defense, it's important to note they've allowed nearly 1100 yards rushing in 6 games. That's abysmal and teams are going to be running much more than they throw on this defense.

If the Bills can't stop the run, Byrd won't be seeing many passes, and there won't always be a Derek Anderson or rookie throwing them. No OC in their right mind would allow it.

Yeah, not seeing the relevance here. The Bills need to shore up their run D, and fast. That would be true whether Byrd showed that he could make plays on the ball or not, so it's nice to see that we're at least seeing some promise from a 2nd-round pick.

How many people on this board were bitching and moaning that that the Bills wasted a pick on a DB when we chose him? How many times did we read that it was a typical DJ draft (not meant by them as a compliment)?

Maybin on the other hand -- I am still keeping my fingers crossed, but he does appear to be a reach. Time will tell whether he was worth such a high pick.

Keeping a level head is important with this team. How many times I've seen a good win (SD-08, WAS-07) and been let down is what I keep in the back of my head.

Forgive me for questioning this team, they've left fans disappointed more often than not this decade. I'm glad one win is enough to forget all the bad losses.

Dude...they played 2 games with either 3/4 of their secondary out or their entire starting secondary out...you just don't have 6th string CBs coming in and playing like this in the NFL...this team has to have the deepest secondary in the NFL hands down...

For a couple hours, yeah. It's nice to be able to see the team you root for win once in a while. I'm pretty sure that's the idea. WE WON A DIVISION GAME!

Byrd had a good game in the pass D, but there is much room for improvement in his run D. Overall I'm happy with how he performed today.

Byrd is making plays that only real playmakers make...

IMHO our run D might stink, but we have one really mean, deep, ballhawking secondary...

McKelvin and McGee out..no problems, just throw Corner and Florence in...

Whitner and Scott out...no problem, just throw Wilson and Byrd in...

How many teams would be setting records with 3 out of 4 or for much of the Jets game, their entire starting secondary out of the lineup? Most teams would be dropping 9 people into coverage to avoid getting smoked...

They hold one QB to 2 of 17 for 23 yards and an INT and then pick off Sanchez 5 times, with Ashlee Palmer dropping an INt that would have been a walk into the endzone...

Bills might have the best secondary and secondary depth in all of football right now...

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but you don't win games that way either.

I love Byrd and I want Wilson and Byrd to start. The team thought so too as it benched Donte over Wilson in 4th quarter. I like safeties that create turn-overs.

Byrd looks like the real deal, and to you doubters...yeah we do judge a player by production on the field. I look foward to getting rid of Donte and his millions and spending it elsewhere. Yearly sack totals....Draft 1 Maybin 0.
Amen. This team is hurting for playmakers & Byrd looks to be a most-welcome addition.

Great player but am I the only one to find him a tad too slow?

i completely agree. i was watching him trail a lot of those runs and he certainly wasnt making up ground. i think he is always gonna have to play deep to be effective, which is ok for a free safety with his hands. hes definitely not afraid to come up and ring the bell either. overall, i like what i see

Was at the Meadolands today and sitting in endzone. Byrd is a beast. Great INT on the defelcted ball to edwards and was always reading the play well except for maybe one or two plays,. he is the best safety playmaker we have had since leohnard left us. How anyone can criticisez this guy is beyond me if you are a Bills fan. two starts , 3 Ints. the same # of INTs it took Witner 3 or 4 years to get? Byrd is a player.

Was at the Meadolands today and sitting in endzone. Byrd is a beast. Great INT on the defelcted ball to edwards and was always reading the play well except for maybe one or two plays,. he is the best safety playmaker we have had since leohnard left us. How anyone can criticisez this guy is beyond me if you are a Bills fan. two starts , 3 Ints. the same # of INTs it took Witner 3 or 4 years to get? Byrd is a player.

Are you serious

amazing since whitner had a really nice one in his first game against the Pats...

Guest dog14787

The second interception was a thing of beauty, almost makes me wonder why the Byrd man isn't a WR in the National Football league. :worthy:

Yea. I noticed it on the play that the Jets got their TD. McGee sprinted right by him. But as long as he keeps getting ints I dont care.

Doesnt Mgee have like 4.3 speed though?

What I find interesting is that there were so many people upset that we took Byrd.....but the kid gets a little bit of playing time and performs....now everyone is on the wagon!

This is what a good safety is supposed to look like.....Huh Whitner?

Against Derek Anderson and rookie Mark Sanchez! Seriously, are some of you as desperate to have a safety succeed this much? And no one's answered my point about Whitner yet. When Byrd sustains this level of play against better offenses over at least two seasons, then I'll yield he's very good.

The way some are talking about him you'd think Ed Reed Jr. is on this team.

I agree! INTs are easy to come by. A mediocre safety averages 1 or 2 INTs a game...whoops...I mean season!

We don't have a problem drafting talent in the secondary and possibly FA OL. We suck at evaluating personnel everywhere else. But come to think of it, we seem to hit better in the later rounds. My guess is our college talent evaluators are excellent. The problem might be the people making decisions as to where to draft them.