Where are all the WGR-calling-Captain Checkdown whiners?

3 long pass attempts? :lol: FYI....He is 6th in the league in yards per completion and 5th in the league in QB rating. Don't let facts get in your way though. Do you guys know what a checkdown is?

its early.... lets hope that yds per completion stat holds up

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

3 long pass attempts? :thumbsup: FYI....He is 6th in the league in yards per completion and 5th in the league in QB rating. Don't let facts get in your way though. Do you guys know what a checkdown is?

Yeah HOLY CRAP - he's got better #'s than Tom Brady*!!!! :lol:

( Hey Russ - when Bill Belicheat* calls, don't answer that phone!)

Trent Edwards has now played two really solid football games back-to-back. Can I hear at least one person say, "hey I was wrong, you were right, I kind of forgot that preseason really doesn't mean all that much?" Just one?

He tossed a couple long throws against one of the worst teams in the NFL at home. Still scared to pull the trigger when needed, checked down quite a bit.

I wonder how he is going to perform when down by 21+ against New Orleans?

Also, one decent game does not change his MO. When we have a season or two of him using his weapons consistently then we can talk.

Listen, I am not saying they're the late 70's/early 80's San Diego Chargers and I'd still like to see a higher % of Trent's completions go to WR's, I'm just saying from an overall proficiency standpoint, literally 95% of you guys were talking as if the Bills offense was going to be so incredibly inept- I'd just like to hear one person say, wow they've really outperformed my expectations, I was wrong about them. Meanwhile, myself and a few others were insisting all along, hey guys, preseason doesn't really mean all that much, I expect them to run much smoother than they did in the preseason. What can I say, I enjoy saying I told you so. If you would've listened to the talk shows and read on here, you would've thought those were regular season games that they performed poorly in. But I digress. Can't wait for Sunday!

Yeah, that long pass the Evans for a TD or the pass that Owens dropped and Owens' TD. Totally afraid to pull the trigger. Smart QBs take what they get from the defense.

Smarter QBs dictate to the defense. Edwards did that today on his audible to Evans for the TD. We need to see more of that and less holding the ball and indicision. Overall he mixed things up very well today and seemed to get into a good flow. Hopefully that is a glimpse of things to come (in more abundance).

I think Edwards threw more long balls today than he has in the last 8 games combined...I was shocked to see the Bills actually look like a normal NFL offense you see playing around the league throwing deep passes...

That's what happens when you force a defense to adjust because you are having success taking what they're giving you. Evans/Owens didn't see ANY single coverage last week. Our running game and middle passing game force some single coverage out wide.

Voila!

GO BILLS!!!

Listen, I am not saying they're the late 70's/early 80's San Diego Chargers and I'd still like to see a higher % of Trent's completions go to WR's, I'm just saying from an overall proficiency standpoint, literally 95% of you guys were talking as if the Bills offense was going to be so incredibly inept- I'd just like to hear one person say, wow they've really outperformed my expectations, I was wrong about them. Meanwhile, myself and a few others were insisting all along, hey guys, preseason doesn't really mean all that much, I expect them to run much smoother than they did in the preseason. What can I say, I enjoy saying I told you so. If you would've listened to the talk shows and read on here, you would've thought those were regular season games that they performed poorly in. But I digress. Can't wait for Sunday!

I tell you what. I was not one of those who predicted the Bills O would stink, based on their preseason performance. I understand the preseason is a pretty weak predictor. But I can't say I wasn't pretty concerned.

The Bills offense has looked better than I expected it would, this early in the season. There is a lot of room for improvement, to be sure, but I like a lot of what I see, so far.

We can attribute the improvement to several things, including the strengthening of the OL interior, the addition of TO as another weapon and the continuing development of Trent. But I think the biggest factor may be the play calling. Many here have questioned the impact of good coaching. And, while it is far too early to anoint Van Pelt as a great OC, the differences between the game plan from Turk to Alex (considering they used the same playbook) is astounding.

Still, it's been two games, one against a fairly bad team. Cautious optimism is the way I look at it, so far.

Owens has done a lot to move the 8th man out of the box, something the Bills offense hasn't been able to do since Bledsoe had his hot streak.

Edwards needs to keep hitting his receivers like he did today to keep that extra defender out of the box. More than anything else, this has helped the young offensive line gain a foothold, which is great to see.

AVP has also done a great job. So maybe Owens and a new coordinator has improved the team since preaseason.

Keep in mind, though, that the team still hasn't beaten a winning team in more than a season and a half. The Bills are 0-7 in their last seven games against the AFC East. Beating teams like Tampa isn't the key to getting to the playoffs. It's necessary, but the Bills are going to have to finally stand up and beat winning teams if they want to make the playoffs.

Could have more been done in the preseason to prepare the team to finally get over the hump against the AFC East and winning teams? That remains to be seen.

Trent Edwards has now played two really solid football games back-to-back. Can I hear at least one person say, "hey I was wrong, you were right, I kind of forgot that preseason really doesn't mean all that much?" Just one?

First off, its one game...so careful before you start declaring your brillance.

Second, Trent had a pretty good game. His INT was pretty bad, but outside of that, it was a pretty good game. Like several of the posters on this thread said, he earned his nickname over his body of work, and one game wont erase that, but its a step in the right direction and I for one was happy to see it.

Also, hate to break it to you, there was still quite a bit of checking down, especially on 3rd down and in the second half where our offense pretty much was non existence in the 3rd qtr as a whole. But, none the less, his throw to Lee was a great throw, and the 2 to T.O. were very pretty balls too (even though TO dropped that one). So, hopefully the success of gettting the ball down field more today will be something they can build on and keep improving it.

Also, our WR's still didnt have many touches, and they are going to need to be way more involved if we are going to have any chance of hanging with that juggernaught of an offense known as the Saints next week.

Um, you also need to remember that this isnt the same offense that stunk all preseason that everyone was hating on, we fired our OC and clearly it has a made a difference. So who's to say our offense wouldnt be ineffective if Turk was still here. AVP still needs to figure out a way to get our WR's more involved for this offense to reach its potential, but he clearly has brought some life to it.

I tell you what. I was not one of those who predicted the Bills O would stink, based on their preseason performance. I understand the preseason is a pretty weak predictor. But I can't say I wasn't pretty concerned.

The Bills offense has looked better than I expected it would, this early in the season. There is a lot of room for improvement, to be sure, but I like a lot of what I see, so far.

We can attribute the improvement to several things, including the strengthening of the OL interior, the addition of TO as another weapon and the continuing development of Trent. But I think the biggest factor may be the play calling. Many here have questioned the impact of good coaching. And, while it is far too early to anoint Van Pelt as a great OC, the differences between the game plan from Turk to Alex (considering they used the same playbook) is astounding.

Still, it's been two games, one against a fairly bad team. Cautious optimism is the way I look at it, so far.

Exactly. :lol:

He tossed a couple long throws against one of the worst teams in the NFL at home. Still scared to pull the trigger when needed, checked down quite a bit.

I wonder how he is going to perform when down by 21+ against New Orleans?

Also, one decent game does not change his MO. When we have a season or two of him using his weapons consistently then we can talk.

What kind of defense do you suppose NO will be in when they're up by 21 points?

GO BILLS!!!

Don't you mean two bad teams...did you see the Pats play today?

They are one fumble recovery from being an ugly 0-2.

My only problem with Trent's game today (and it may not be fair to blame it all on him) is that they should have taken a couple of shots into the end zone instead of throwing risky short passes over the middle late in the second-half. I was waiting for one of those in traffic to be tipped and picked-off. Maybe when Hardy becomes healthy and Nelson is in the game along with Owens they'll take a few shots toward the back or the corner of the end-zone before they just settle for field goals.

Where are all the "I was right, you were wrong" attention whores who asked "where are all the JP bashers" after he played a couple good games in '06? Where are all the "I told you so" donks who just knew we wouldn't miss Pat Williams after one good defensive game on '05 opening day? Can we win one freaking game without pathetic threads like this where you declare how much smarter you are than everyone else and then disappear when you're proven wrong? Lets do something against a defense that didn't make Patrick freaking Crayton look like Jerry Rice first.

Preseason matwas significant for Langston Walker and Turk Schonert. However, to your point it is nice to see some success on the field. Hard to say exactly how much is due to AVP as the players have to execute but he does seem to be calling very good games and Trent Edwards is audibling with the right calls.