Top 10 Bills Stunning Losses

HarkinBanks

I remember that one, watching the end of the game, I thought it might have been earlier in the season. Still, didn't we make it to the playoffs that year only to lose against the Jaguars?

One of the ones that stand out to me was a game in 1997 against the Broncos at home. Alex Van Pelt came in during the 3rd quarter and rallied a huge comeback out of no where and Steve Christie nailed a 55 yearder or something like that on the final play of regulation to tie it at 20 going into overtime. After losing the coin flip we still got the ball because Denver wanted the wind in their direction. The reverse play at the beginning of overtime had me shaking my head for a long time and Jason Elam made around a 32 yarder to win it for the Broncos in overtime.

Yes I remember that game. Denver had a hell of a time getting out of Denver as a huge snowstorm hit. They made it to Buffalo real late at night. I would say they were at least 10 pt favorites, but the travel etc evened things out for an undermanned Bills squad..I watched that game at Greveys..then the big Buffalo bar in DC

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree with this. It took me 4 days to get over the Dallas loss. Only 24 hours to get over the NE loss.

I would agree but it may be more related to the fact I live and work in Dallas (same sad fact for the two SB defeats at the hands of the Cowboys). I knew I was going to be in for a raft of :censored: as soon as I walked through the door at work.

WAIT a second!!!!!

How could ANYONE forget the game in Foxboro where not ONLY was Shawn Jefferson OUT OF BOUNDS on a crucial play at the very end of the game and ruled a catch, AND THEN to really stick the knife in, call pass interference on Henry Jones on a throw up prayer?!?!!

Ralph got fined by Tagliabue for ripping the NFL, and it propelled the Patriots to greater heights of B.S. when the fumble-called-tuck made the Patsies the most hated team in the AFC??

That game cost us home field in the playoffs... and it STILL pisses me off to this day!!!!!

OK, I'm going WAY back here, but does anyone remember this one?

Oct. 22, 1972 (Miami's $#%@*&$ "perfect" season)

Buffalo at Miami in the Orange Bowl

Final score: Miami 24 Buffalo 23

Buffalo was down 24-16 and scored late in the 4th to draw within a point.

Now, I may have events out of sequence, but I think what happened next is that Miami got the ball back and on that drive Mercury Morris appeared to have fumbled and Buffalo recovered. However, he was ruled down by contact. The replays clearly showed the ball coming loose just before he hit the ground. If Buffalo had gotten the ball back, they could have possibly nailed a game-winning field goal -- no perfect season -- no 0 for 20 in the '70's against the Fish. Instead, Miami runs out the clock.

Again, I may be off a little on the sequencing, but that's how I remember it. I mainly remember that bad call and I'm pretty certain it was on the final drive, but whenever it was it was costly to the outcome of the game.

What about the game against NE when they got called for pass interference on a hail mary and Bledsoe hit Ben Coates for the winning TD on the next play to win the game? Not positive, but I think was the same game where the refs gave NE a key 1st down on a play when the Pats player did not catch the ball and was short of the 1st down marker.

This one would make my list. It felt like the fix was in.

It was mentioned on an earlier list, but I have to second the 1996 wild card loss to the Jaguars. Not only was the fumble that swung the game not a fumble, it also knocked out Kelly's career. I still feel cheated.

I can't help but hope Trent can turn our offense into something that resembles the K-Gun

Did anyone mention the 1966 AFL Championship game?

Admitedly, I was too young to have much memory, and can't even say that I was interested in the Bills at that time, but for the franchise, it has to be one of the great heartbreakers - missing the opportunity to play the Packers in the first ever AFL-NFL Championship game (later known as Superbowl I).

Not noted in original list, but mentioned as follow-up posts are a few I concur with:

The Pats (just give it to 'em) game, where the Bills were called for pass interference on a Hail Mary endzone free-for-all.

Worst play calling ever!!!

The Bills-Dolphins game, something in the 70's (was it the perfect season?). Pat Toomay recovery of the "fumble that wasn't", preventing a likely Bills win.

First Rich Stadium playoff loss against Jags - Kelly carted off the field, never to play again in a Bills uniform.

All four superbowls sucked, but the first was the worst, especially knowing that the Bills were truly the better team that year, already having beaten the Giants on their home turf a few weeks earlier, but blew when it counted most.

A little rambling:

The San Diego playoff game from 1980 will always be a big one for me in the disappointment department. Fouts throws a 50 yard bomb with 2:08 remaining to give the Chargers the win, 20-14. Ferguson was toughing it out with a severly sprained ankle. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Chuck Knox era and especially the 1980 edition. That was the same year that the Bills finally beat the 'fins (I was there) and later beat the Rams at home (I was there), and Haslett, Smerlas, & Co, returned from the winners locker room, and all came out in tee-shirts for a chorus-line, arms locked, feet kicking, rockettes-style encore. The crowd, who refused to leave, went wild.

The next night, watching the Monday Night game, Howard made the shocking announcement about Lennon being shot. There was a weird surreal "grayness" about that whole month, December 1980, even before that night. "Strange days indeed".

All the new guys on the Bills were about the same age as me. Me and my pals had a great little "boys" club. Roommates, friends, young horny women usually hanging around. The week prior to the San Diego game, the Bills had beaten San Fran out west. We met the Bills at Prior Aviation to welcome them back and show our support. It was like 3:00 in the morning, and we we're all still in the middle of an acid trip and half drunken stuper :blink: , waiting in the 20 degree air and light snowfall, to greet our heros. So what if I had to punch in at the foundry Monday morning at 7 am? I made it on time, and even left a little early that afternoon to make the company blood drive! Pity the poor bastard who got that batch.

The games in which the Bills were blown out (see SB XXVI, SB XXVII) don't bother me half as much as the one (such as the most recent defeat or the Music City Mirage), where they let an almost sure victory slip away from them in the last minute or two. Those are the ones that tear your heart out.

Fight on, my men, Sir Andrew Said

A little I'm hurt but not yet slain.

I'll just lie down and bleed a while,

And then I'll rise and Fight again.

Did anyone mention the 1966 AFL Championship game?

Admitedly, I was too young to have much memory, and can't even say that I was interested in the Bills at that time, but for the franchise, it has to be one of the great heartbreakers - missing the opportunity to play the Packers in the first ever AFL-NFL Championship game (later known as Superbowl I).

Fight on, my men, Sir Andrew Said

A little I'm hurt but not yet slain.

I'll just lie down and bleed a while,

And then I'll rise and Fight again.

Thought about it, but -while disappointing, it wasn't really close. We'd already lost Gogalak & Saban and had to fight hard to get back to our 3rd consecutive Championship game. It was pretty close in the first half, with the backbreaker coming on a Kemp INT near the goal line that was returned by Johnny Robinson deep into our territory- setting up a FG before half. Instead of tied 14 all, it was 17-7 and all but over then.

Turns out, that KC team was pretty damn good!

I remember this one. I think what happened was sean jefferson maybe was given a catch that he shouldn't have been given, that kept the drive alive. It was a play near the sideline and clearly his left foot was out of bounds. I remember the players were called back on to the field for the XP to as NE scored the TD with no time remaining. It was painful.

This is the "Just give it to them" game.

The Bills-Dolphins game, something in the 70's (was it the perfect season?). Pat Toomay recovery of the "fumble that wasn't", preventing a likely Bills win.

Yes, see my post above about this game. Thanks for saying Pat Toomay -- I couldn't remember who recovered the fumble. I just know that it would have been a likely Bills win if the refs made the correct call.

For some reason, I was more devastated by the Titan playoff loss than any other in Bills history. When you are on the road in the playoffs, nobody gave you a chance, you play heroically and grab the lead with 16 seconds on the clock, 16 F*CKING SECONDS!! You can't lose the game right?

December 3, 1995: 49ers 27, Bills 17

After Jeff Wilkins hit a 20-yard field goal to tie the game at 10 all, the Bills drove the length of the field and were about to go in for the go ahead score at the end of the game, but no... Darick 'What Up' Holmes has to cough it up after getting molested at the goaline by Gary Plummer. ...fumble gets picked up by Lee Woodall and returned 96 yards for a TD, and the Niners never looked back.

Didn't read the entire thread so sorry if these already came up. A few recent ones that come to my mind that weren't on the original post...

98-99 Playoffs- Wild card loss to fins in Miami- reeds last game where he got ejected for standing up into the ref.

04 loss to the Steelers 3rd stringers that kept us out of playoffs- that Jeane st piere guy or whatever his name is takes us down in the 4th

05 Loss to Pats on Sunday night- The "golden god" tedy brushci makes his return, the announcers couldn't stop talking about him and the Bills blow a 16-7 (I think) 4th quarter lead- my roommate later told me he locked the door to his bedroom cause he thought I was going to become homicidal

1. Wide Right: Giants Super Bowl 1991 (My seat was pretty lousy and I actually thought the kick was good!)

2. Home Run Throwback: Titans Playoffs 2000 (Titans score on forward lateral on kickoff after “winning” touchdown drive by Bills)

3. Harmon's Drop: Cleveland Playoffs 1990 ((Harmon's dropped pass in the end zone on the potentially winning play)

4. New England Nightmare: MNF 2009 (McKelvin fumbles the kickoff with 2:00 left and the Bills up by 5)

5. Dallas Debacle: MNF 2007 (Cowboys recover onside kick and hit 53 yard field goal to win the game)

6. Cleveland Collapse: MNF 2008 (Cleveland makes a 56 yard field goal with a minute left, Buffalo misses a 47 yard field goal at the end of the game)

7. Season Opener 2004 (Jags win on last play, Leftwich to Wilford after Clements should have knocked down an earlier pass and killed the drive)

8. Season Opener 2007 (Elam and the Broncos field goal unit scrambled onto the field to convert a 42-yard attempt just as time ran out)

9. Losman’s Last Laugh 2008 (Bills are running out the clock, Losman fumbles on a bootleg and Jets run it back for winning TD)

10. Fill in the blank

This is really an impressive list when you think about all the different ways you can blow a game.

Go Bills.

It was mentioned on an earlier list, but I have to second the 1996 wild card loss to the Jaguars. Not only was the fumble that swung the game not a fumble, it also knocked out Kelly's career. I still feel cheated.

I can't help but hope Trent can turn our offense into something that resembles the K-Gun

That one was rough too because it was blacked out (how humiliating--a playoff game blacked out). I had to listen to it on a radio.

Out of curiosity...how old are you? There are decades of horrendous losses available. For example, I remember a game against the fish where Kelly threw a gift to Louis Oliver on the Fish's goal line that just crushed me for months. EDIT: Thought it was Louis Oliver, but it was Buckley. My bad, I used to drink a lot back in the day. :lol:

I was at that game! I remember Kelly getting knocked out for a play or 2 earlier in the game and the crowd cheered. It was one of the few times in my life I was ashamed to be a Bills fan.