Top 10 Bills Stunning Losses

HarkinBanks

1. Wide Right: Giants Super Bowl 1991 (My seat was pretty lousy and I actually thought the kick was good!)

2. Home Run Throwback: Titans Playoffs 2000 (Titans score on forward lateral on kickoff after “winning” touchdown drive by Bills)

3. Harmon's Drop: Cleveland Playoffs 1990 ((Harmon's dropped pass in the end zone on the potentially winning play)

4. New England Nightmare: MNF 2009 (McKelvin fumbles the kickoff with 2:00 left and the Bills up by 5)

5. Dallas Debacle: MNF 2007 (Cowboys recover onside kick and hit 53 yard field goal to win the game)

6. Cleveland Collapse: MNF 2008 (Cleveland makes a 56 yard field goal with a minute left, Buffalo misses a 47 yard field goal at the end of the game)

7. Season Opener 2004 (Jags win on last play, Leftwich to Wilford after Clements should have knocked down an earlier pass and killed the drive)

8. Season Opener 2007 (Elam and the Broncos field goal unit scrambled onto the field to convert a 42-yard attempt just as time ran out)

9. Losman’s Last Laugh 2008 (Bills are running out the clock, Losman fumbles on a bootleg and Jets run it back for winning TD)

10. Fill in the blank

This is really an impressive list when you think about all the different ways you can blow a game.

Go Bills.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Wide Right: Giants Super Bowl 1991 (My seat was pretty lousy and I actually thought the kick was good!)

2. Home Run Throwback: Titans Playoffs 2000 (Titans score on forward lateral on kickoff after "winning" touchdown drive by Bills)

3. Harmon's Drop: Cleveland Playoffs 1990 ((Harmon's dropped pass in the end zone on the potentially winning play)

4. New England Nightmare: MNF 2009 (McKelvin fumbles the kickoff with 2:00 left and the Bills up by 5)

5. Dallas Debacle: MNF 2007 (Cowboys recover onside kick and hit 53 yard field goal to win the game)

6. Cleveland Collapse: MNF 2008 (Cleveland makes a 56 yard field goal with a minute left, Buffalo misses a 47 yard field goal at the end of the game)

7. Season Opener 2004 (Jags win on last play, Leftwich to Wilford after Clements should have knocked down an earlier pass and killed the drive)

8. Season Opener 2007 (Elam and the Broncos field goal unit scrambled onto the field to convert a 42-yard attempt just as time ran out)

9. Losman's Last Laugh 2008 (Bills are running out the clock, Losman fumbles on a bootleg and Jets run it back for winning TD)

10. Fill in the blank

This is really an impressive list when you think about all the different ways you can blow a game.

Go Bills.

Out of curiosity...how old are you? There are decades of horrendous losses available. For example, I remember a game against the fish where Kelly threw a gift to Louis Oliver on the Fish's goal line that just crushed me for months. EDIT: Thought it was Louis Oliver, but it was Buckley. My bad, I used to drink a lot back in the day. :)

2. Home Run Throwback: Titans Playoffs 2000 (Titans score on forward lateral on kickoff after “winning” touchdown drive by Bills)

9. Losman’s Last Laugh 2008 (Bills are running out the clock, Losman fumbles on a bootleg and Jets run it back for winning TD)

10. Fill in the blank

Go Bills.

You nailed it

10. Fill in the blank

Go Bills.

4 and 5 need to be switched around. Otherwise a pretty good list.

10. Fill in the blank

Go Bills.

didnt we have a 3TD lead against Miami, and got beat by their backup on successive throws to the same WR? Losman was our QB. id put that in place of #7.

Out of curiosity...how old are you? There are decades of horrendous losses available. For example, I remember a game against the fish where Kelly threw a gift to Louis Oliver on the Fish's goal line that just crushed me for months.

38 years old. Thankfully my memories pretty much go back to the Ferguson - Ferragamo - Mathison era. That is enough for me :)

38 years old. Thankfully my memories pretty much go back to the Ferguson - Ferragamo - Mathison era. That is enough for me :)

Dude...I'm just about that age, and I gotta say, as bad as the losses have been this decade, there are a LOT worse from the 80s and 90s.

Dude...I'm just about that age, and I gotta say, as bad as the losses have been this decade, there are a LOT worse from the 80s and 90s.

Please feel free to add to the list. This was off the top of my head and pretty much focused on "Stunning Losses", i.e. right at the end of the game. I would not want any other last minute, knife to the heart, absolutely crushing defeats left off the list that deserve to be there.

Loss to Pittsburgh's 3rd stringers when a win would have ended the playoff drought belongs on the list, probably before 8 or 9.

Sad thing is, I was personally at #s 1,3,5,6,7,8 and the one I just mentioned.

I think that Pittsburgh loss was more of slow root canal type of pain. If Milloy had missed that tackle on Parker in the last minute, or on the last play, then I would put it on the list.

Please feel free to add to the list. This was off the top of my head and pretty much focused on "Stunning Losses", i.e. right at the end of the game. I would not want any other last minute, knife to the heart, absolutely crushing defeats left off the list that deserve to be there.

Here we go -- from 1996, one of the most heartwrenching rollercoaster seasons EVER.

(courtesy Billszone)

MIAMI 21, BUFFALO 7

The hated Dolphins came to Rich Stadium in Jim Kelly's return to the lineup. For the second consecutive game, Kelly struggled mightily, tossing 3 interceptions without a TD pass. That gave the QB 7 interceptions and zero TD passes in his last 2 starts. The Dolphins were without the injured Dan Marino. Miami went up 14-0 on two Miami runs, but Thurman Thomas answered with a 19 yard gallop to the endzone in the 3rd quarter. The defense kept the Dolphins in check, with Bruce Smith registering sack #7 on the season, moving him past Lawrence Taylor into second all time. Kelly took over and connected with Andre Reed for a 48 yard pass that put Buffalo on the Miami 2 yard line with just over a minute remaining in the game. On first down, Kelly was penalized for intentional grounding when he threw the pass out of the endzone. Two incomplete passes later, the Bills faced 4th and goal. Kelly's pass on 4th down to tie was tipped and intercepted by Terrell Buckley, who raced 91 yards for the score and the final margin- 21-7.

it literally took me MONTHS to recover from this loss.

How about this...

1- SB 25

2- SB 26

3- SB 27

4- SB 28

5- Home Run Throw Forward

6- 1995 Playoff Loss at Pitt

7- 1996 Playoff Loss at Home to Jax

8- 1988 AFC title game at Cinci

9- 1989 Ronnie Harmon Playoff Loss at Cle

10- 2004 loss to Pitt 2nd stringers that puts us in the playoffs

Playoff losses are much harder to take, let alone SBs. Regular season losses may be large and hurt, but nothing compares to "Season Over" after hopes are really raised.

How about this...

1- SB 25

2- SB 26

3- SB 27

4- SB 28

5- Home Run Throw Forward

6- 1995 Playoff Loss at Pitt

7- 1996 Playoff Loss at Home to Jax

8- 1988 AFC title game at Cinci

9- 1989 Ronnie Harmon Playoff Loss at Cle

10- 2004 loss to Pitt 2nd stringers that puts us in the playoffs

Playoff losses are much harder to take, let alone SBs. Regular season losses may be large and hurt, but nothing compares to "Season Over" after hopes are really raised.

Agreed...but I was focused on "stunning losses", as in "oh my god, we actually are going to win this thing...then...no F'n way did we just blow that game, that is impossible to believe we just snatched defeat from the jaws of victory" type of losses.

10. Fill in the blank

Go Bills.

Great list though after reading each one I was reminded of the piece of my soul missing because of that game.

I would add the 2001 home collapse against the Dolphins to that list. It was a terrible season, hadn't won a home game yet, though it was late November, and I had the good fortune to have been at every one. Then when the Bills put up a big lead on the fins to make us feel we were finally going to get one, the Bills somehow snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.... yet again.