Top 10 Bills Stunning Losses

HarkinBanks

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubes - maybe your tickets need to be revoked as it seems you should not be allowed to attend games. :beer:

Anyway, somehow 0 for the 70's as a group has to make the list. I know it does not fit the "game" idea but man some of those losses were just absurd, if not painful.

Dempsey's missed FG on opening day in '79 (I believe) as time expired. To this day, that one hurts. How the :) can you miss from that close?!?

1975 - Bills up on fish 30-21 with < 4 minutes left. fish score to make it 30-28. Fergy gets picked at our 22, and they score again with 1:25 to win.

That's remarkably similar to Monday Night's game - losing streak to a dominant division rival almost ends, but the Bills choke by turning the ball over in their own end.

12/18/88 @ Indy - Bills clinch home-field with a win. Bills go up 14-3 in the 4th, but Gary Hogeboom led the Colts to drives of 80 and 75 yards to put the Colts up 17-14 with 1:18 to play. Bills final drive ends at mid-field after a 1st down catch is wiped out by a procedure penalty and then Kelly is sacked on 4th down.

Gotta love Relentless

1975 - Bills up on fish 30-21 with < 4 minutes left. fish score to make it 30-28. Fergy gets picked at our 22, and they score again with 1:25 to win.

Another from that era was a very late lead in '74, I believe, with Marangi at QB. Fumble leads to Norn -the human bowling ball- Bulasch blasting into the endzone to keep 'the Streak' alive.. :)

Geez, this thread is depressing..

Three I would add:

1)The" Dead Body Game" as someone refered to it. Lose in OT the the Pats* when their dude is knocked cold, his concussed head in laying on the OB line, and the ball happens to be touching him.

I was at that game. At the time there was consolation in knowing that the call screwed Miami more than anyone else as it cost them the division.

But in retrospect it's annoying that it helped springboard a dynasty.

Another from that era was a very late lead in '74, I believe, with Marangi at QB. Fumble leads to Norn -the human bowling ball- Bulasch blasting into the endzone to keep 'the Streak' alive.. :)

Geez, this thread is depressing..

Yeah that was the Pat Toomay one. fish qb was 3rd stringer Don Strock, who completed his first 11 passes. Mercury Morris fumbled at the Miami 28 with 9 minutes left. Not only did ref Gene Barth rule no fumble (premature whistle I believe) but Toomay was flagged for brushing an official trying to recover. Don Nottingham runs to the 1 on the next play and Bulaich iced it after that.

BTW this game was the week after we beat the Cards on Thanksgiving.

What about the game against NE when they got called for pass interference on a hail mary and Bledsoe hit Ben Coates for the winning TD on the next play to win the game? Not positive, but I think was the same game where the refs gave NE a key 1st down on a play when the Pats player did not catch the ball and was short of the 1st down marker.

I remember this one. I think what happened was sean jefferson maybe was given a catch that he shouldn't have been given, that kept the drive alive. It was a play near the sideline and clearly his left foot was out of bounds. I remember the players were called back on to the field for the XP to as NE scored the TD with no time remaining. It was painful.

My personal list of stingers...

1. Wide Right: Norwood's crushing miss sets the stage for 4 straight Super Bowl losses.

2. Home Run Throwback: AKA Music City Miracle. Controversial lateral on final kickoff dooms Bills.

3. Harmon's Drop: Cleveland, Playoffs 1990. Terrible drop by Harmon in endzone costs Bills the game.

4. Dallas Devastation: 2007 MNF. Bills surrender 9 points in final 12 seconds to lose in Buffalo's return to Prime Time

5. Leodis' Fumble: 2009 MNF. Bills surrender 12 points in final 2 minutes to lose opener in Foxborough

6. Interference Game: Nov. 1998, pass interference on Bledoe's Hail Mary costs Bills the game in NE

7. Delay of Game: Playoffs 1981, delay of game nullifies big 1st down deep in Bengal territory in closing seconds

8. Dempsey Miss: 1979 opener, Dempsey's 34 yard miss on final play extends the losing streak to 19 against Miami

9. Flutie Fumble: Miami playoffs, 1999. After heroic rally, Flutie fumbles on Miami 5 with 17 seconds left

10. Jag Collapse: Opening Day, 2004. Jags win on last play after converting on 4th and 26.

Ed Rutkowski's goal line fumble against the Raiders on a QB sneak.

I seem to have a foggy memory about a Don Nottingham draw or screen going for 50+ yards in one of the 0-70's games.

The game I mentioned yesterday about John Leypoldt missing 3 FG's on a Monday night when we lost to the Fish by 5.

The Pat Toomay penalty of running into the ref.

I sat in the pouring rain and watched Tom Dempsey miss that FG that would have beat the fish.

This crap has been going on for all 50 years.

Three I would add:

1)The" Dead Body Game" as someone refered to it. Lose in OT the the Pats* when their dude is knocked cold, his concussed head in laying on the OB line, and the ball happens to be touching him. Hate that rule, still do especially on kickoffs..see NYJ game last year.,

that Dude was Brady :)