The Owens factor

Kelly the Dog

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but I didn't see it so I'm giving it its own thread. Despite not getting the ball thrown much his way, as well as dropping a pass he needs to catch and getting a ticky-tack penalty called on him, IMO Owens was a major factor in this game, and probably affected perhaps a half of the successful plays we had.

It's also no small coincidence that Freddy Jackson had a lot more room to run on both called running plays and swing passes, and to me, that was directly due to Owens as well as the surprising line play. Last year, teams crowded the line and dared us to go downfield. We couldn't, and because of it, we couldnt run. Not being able to stretch the field hurt the run game more than the pass game. Plus, Marshawn and Freddy are both excellent at making the first guy miss. Last year, when the first guy missed, the second and third guy were right there to stuff the play for no gain. Against the Pats, if Freddy made a guy miss or ran by him before the ball was thrown, there was no second guy. That is specifically due to Owens.

Same thing on runs. Even when there was decent blocking by the line last year, which wasn't often, there would always be LBs and Safeties right there to fill up the gaps and make the tackles. The Pats D was spread out all over the field on Monday.

And he blocks. One reason that I always liked Owens before he came here when a lot of fans hated him was because he really tried, almost all the time. Most of the prima donnas and loudmouths like Owens don't do it nearly as much. Owens really works.

I don't want to say he was the best player on the field. He surely wasn't. And our line and Jackson and Trent and AVP deserve a lot of kudos. But having Owens did exactly what the team wanted to happen when they got him, which was not only to add a playmaker but to open up the field for the rest of the talent on offense. Another example of stats being misleading. Owens had a huge affect on this offense and game.

Good post, oh Fair and Balanced one!

Just to add to that, Owens's two catches were both on routes that exploited the Patsies adjusting their defense to try to take away the screens, runs, and flares. While he only had two catches, both were critical to the flow of the game... and both show some savvy by AVP and Trent to take what the defense was giving them.

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but I didn't see it so I'm giving it its own thread. Despite not getting the ball thrown much his way, as well as dropping a pass he needs to catch and getting a ticky-tack penalty called on him, IMO Owens was a major factor in this game, and probably affected perhaps a half of the successful plays we had.

It's also no small coincidence that Freddy Jackson had a lot more room to run on both called running plays and swings passes, and to me, that was directly due to Owens as well as the surprising line play. Last year, teams crowded the line and dared us to go downfield. We couldn't, and because of it, we couldnt run. Not being able to stretch the field hurt the run game more than the pass game. Plus, Marshawn and Freddy are both excellent at making the first guy miss. Last year, when the first guy missed, the second and third guy were right there to stuff the play for no gain. Against the Pats, if Freddy made a guy miss or ran by him before the ball was thrown, there was no second guy. That is specifically due to Owens.

Same thing on runs. Even when there was decent blocking by the line last year, which wasn't often, there would always be LBs and Safeties right there to fill up the gaps and make the tackles. The Pats D was spread out all over the field on Monday.

And he blocks. One reason that I always liked Owens before he came here when a lot of fans hated him was because he really tried, almost all the time. Most of the prima donnas and loudmouths like Owens don't do it nearly as much. Owens really works.

I don't want to say he was the best player on the field. He surely wasn't. And our line and Jackson and Trent and AVP deserve a lot of kudos. But having Owens did exactly what the team wanted to happen when they got him, which was not only to add a play maker but to open up the field for the rest of the talent on offense. Another example of stats being misleading. Owens had a huge affect on this offense and game.

Kelly imagine the miss matches we can create with Lee, TO, Freddie and Lynch on the field at the same time. This team has the talent and in my opinion is as stacked as any team in the league offensively. They just have to execute. T.O. brings an added threat just being on the field. This is were AVP has to earn his pay check. He has to find the weaknesses in the defense and exploit them with miss matches.

I don't think T.O. will have a great year statistically but he will be a huge part in us winning ball games.

I noticed both pats outside linebackers covering the slant all night. They were standing in a zone preventing quick slants to either Lee or TO, with the mike LB covering the deep middle. They tried to apply pressure with four defensive linemen and that is why the screen passes worked perfect against that defense.

The outside LB on either side were the only target an OL had to get their hands on and for the most part they were to far from the LOS to make a positive play.

And they kept insisting with it, live or die against short passes and screens, which I thought it was odd coming from Bellichick, because we all know he likes to mix thing up a lot in the course of a game.

As Kelly the Dog said the presence of Owens made the life easier for the O in general.

It will be interesting to see what kind of defense we will face from now on. Will teams gamble a little and give one on one coverage to either Lee and TO, or will they give the Bills the underneath stuff and dare us to be patient and drive the lenght of the field to score points.

If wee more defenses like we did monday night, it's imperative that we use Nelson a lot in the seam, exploit that middle of the field, much like Watson and Brady did to us. I like the match-up of Nelson against a LB.

If Lee or TO see single coverage we have to exploit that until the defense can stop it.

I'm optimistic that both AVP and Trent will see that and react accordingly.

I noticed both pats outside linebackers covering the slant all night. They were standing in a zone preventing quick slants to either Lee or TO, with the mike LB covering the deep middle. They tried to apply pressure with four defensive linemen and that is why the screen passes worked perfect against that defense.

The outside LB on either side were the only target an OL had to get their hands on and for the most part they were to far from the LOS to make a positive play.

And they kept insisting with it, live or die against short passes and screens, which I thought it was odd coming from Bellichick, because we all know he likes to mix thing up a lot in the course of a game.

As Kelly the Dog said the presence of Owens made the life easier for the O in general.

It will be interesting to see what kind of defense we will face from now on. Will teams gamble a little and give one on one coverage to either Lee and TO, or will they give the Bills the underneath stuff and dare us to be patient and drive the lenght of the field to score points.

If wee more defenses like we did monday night, it's imperative that we use Nelson a lot in the seam, exploit that middle of the field, much like Watson and Brady did to us. I like the match-up of Nelson against a LB.

If Lee or TO see single coverage we have to exploit that until the defense can stop it.

I'm optimistic that both AVP and Trent will see that and react accordingly.

I agree, I live in Dallas and everybody is laughing at T.O. cause he only had 2 catches, they just don't get it.

I don't EVER remember seeing the middle of the field that OPEN due to the coverage being rolled for T.O. !!

Maybe the cowboys didn't need him, but we sure as hell do. My only complaint, is I would have liked them to try him

a little more on the slants, but maybe that will come...

Thanks for the post ... godd insights. Let's hope in the ying and yang of football that teams efforts to now take away the Bills short game will result in a better long game.

Don't know that I'd give Kelly deity status for these insights, but I agree with him completely. I see no reason this will change the entire year, injuries notwithstanding.

It's obvious BB entered the game without the services of several players who made his defenses, especially at CB and LB. That said, he was indeed forced to cover both Evans and Owens. I've gotta believe other coaches have taken note, and if those people took note, NE played something akin to a C2 defense. Obviously it worked.

It will come down to AVP adjusting some routes to exploit defenses that try to cover the underneath stuff with some longer passing plays.

Oh yeah, Owens blocked well. And he'll get the ball more as teams try to stop the short stuff.

Guest dog14787

It's also no small coincidence that Freddy Jackson had a lot more room to run on both called running plays and swing passes, and to me, that was directly due to Owens as well as the surprising line play. Last year, teams crowded the line and dared us to go downfield. We couldn't, and because of it, we couldnt run. Not being able to stretch the field hurt the run game more than the pass game. Plus, Marshawn and Freddy are both excellent at making the first guy miss. Last year, when the first guy missed, the second and third guy were right there to stuff the play for no gain. Against the Pats, if Freddy made a guy miss or ran by him before the ball was thrown, there was no second guy. That is specifically due to Owens.

I don't want to say he was the best player on the field. He surely wasn't. And our line and Jackson and Trent and AVP deserve a lot of kudos. But having Owens did exactly what the team wanted to happen when they got him, which was not only to add a playmaker but to open up the field for the rest of the talent on offense. Another example of stats being misleading. Owens had a huge affect on this offense and game.

Post is on the money as usual :thumbsup:

Spot on.