I'm not sure about you guys, but watching Fred Jackson last night

SDS

Lynch is a nice back who tries really, really hard. However, I'm not sure his results are commensurate with the effort.

I can't help feeling that Marshawn will end up like Earl Campbell (likely without the HOF at the end) - a good runner whose style leads to his own destruction.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackson is so good at running outside, pitches, and screens. To me, he's as good as anyone in the league at finding the seams in the defense and getting the most out of every play. He's also much better in pass protection (Lynch's failure to pick up blitzes has caused a lot of sacks over the past two years).

I think Jackson should be the starter, with Lynch being rotated in heavily. Similar to the Cowboys a couple years ago with a then good Julius Jones starting and Marion Barber coming in a lot.

I did see some of that last night. Jackson runs will a bit of a gliding style ala Dickerson but he's very patient like Thurman was. I still have fond memories of Thomas rounding the corner with his hand on the back of one of his OL waiting for the block and then darting past the defender.

This trade Lynch crap is crazy. He may not be able to catch the ball the way Jackson does but the guy is a bruiser. I say give each of them 15 carries or catches per game and we're a MUCH better team. Jackson moves better int he open field but there isn't a DB in the league that wants to tackle Lynch when he's moving at full speed.

This trade Lynch crap is crazy. He may not be able to catch the ball the way Jackson does but the guy is a bruiser. I say give each of them 15 carries or catches per game and we're a MUCH better team. Jackson moves better int he open field but there isn't a DB in the league that wants to tackle Lynch when he's moving at full speed.

by splitting time between the two almost evenly, you are taking the more dynamic player off the field for all those plays. it doesnt make sense to do if freddy shows he can keep this up

thats like saying thurman should have split snaps evenly with kenny davis......

looked an awful lot like Thurman Thomas last night. Catching those screens, the patient running, the sliding through the holes on off-tackle runs...

Anyone else get that impression?

Yes. I made that exact statement to the guys I was watching the game with. Good call.

I got more of an impression that the Pats Dline is not very good.

If there is one thing from last night, I loved the Bills' line play, outside of the penalties.

On one of Jackson's either pitch or screen to the left side, probably in the second quarter,

I observed at least three, possibly four linemen 10 yards out in front of him steamrolling

people, that my friends, does not happen with our old line.

Me likey!

On one of Jackson's either pitch or screen to the left side, probably in the second quarter,

I observed at least three, possibly four linemen 10 yards out in front of him steamrolling

Me likey!

i think it has something to do with this young o-line not getting winded as quickly as our old fat slobs did

by splitting time between the two almost evenly, you are taking the more dynamic player off the field for all those plays. it doesnt make sense to do if freddy shows he can keep this up

thats like saying thurman should have split snaps evenly with kenny davis......

yeah I wouldn't say split them evenly. But when Jackson is tired, bring in Lynch. And if Lynch has the hot hand, and is playing well, then let him keep going with it until he gets tired.

It's a benefit to share carries as long as it's not done in a rigid, artificial way.

Well, yes - I alluded to that. It was the play-calling coupled with his style of running. About the only thing he doesn't do is make himself into that little ball like TT did when going through a small hole.

We've had a lot of back come through here since TT left and FJ is the one who most closely resembles him and last night was a very Thurmanesque night.

He is very smooth through the hole like Thurman was. Shifty.

Marshawn is great to, but he runs like a bull through a china shop.

Me likey!

BUMP!! I actually got goose-bumps watching this! Big, Fast, Athletic lineman pulling and crushing people.

I'm still crushed that we lost in another painful collapse, but dammit...we may just have a great O-line in the making!!!!!

I am really excited to see what Marshawn might be able to do with similar blocking and play calling. I remember thinking a couple of times last night how exciting it could have been if he was catching some of those screen passes, especially when Jackson got into the defensive secondary and had one man to beat. On some of the plays where Jackson ended up corralled out of bounds, I think Marshawn may have been able to throw a stiff arm and keep going.

Me likey!

Exactly. We saw something last night that we haven't seen in quite some time. The Oline was moving our there laying licks on people. We also can't forget that we ran more screens and draw plays last night than we have in the last 3 or 4 seasons combined. AVP may end up being exactly what this offense needed.

So, I'd suggest we have a little patience and bring this discussion up in about week 8 when we've had a good chance to see what Lynch and Jackson can do. We may all be pleasantly surprised.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see what he does with the kind of blocking FreeJack got tonight. Lynch had, what, 1100 yards last year? And 1200 yards after first contact...

Part of that is Lynch's own doing. The guy has talent, strength and heart - but his vision isn't the best. He misses lots of holes and takes more abuse than he needs to.

I liked what Jackson did last night, but don't feel like the Bills could do well in long term with him as a feature back, for allot of same reasons they lost this game. While made some awesome plays, the time of possession was horrendous. They only had really 2 drives the whole game. The screen passes were only plays that moved the chains with any consistency, and since the Bills never were able to run them well in past, that was a surprise to the Pats, but wont be to next team we play. We need someone who can run between the tackles to complement Jackson, who is more of a 3rd down back IMO. And we really need more sustained drives or our whole defense will be on IR by the end of the season, since they will have played 3 seasons worth of plays on the field by then.

Exactly. We saw something last night that we haven't seen in quite some time. The Oline was moving our there laying licks on people. We also can't forget that we ran more screens and draw plays last night than we have in the last 3 or 4 seasons combined. AVP may end up being exactly what this offense needed.

So, I'd suggest we have a little patience and bring this discussion up in about week 8 when we've had a good chance to see what Lynch and Jackson can do. We may all be pleasantly surprised.

They did call allot of draws and screens for sure. Most of Jackson's yards came on these plays. He didn't look as good on the more conventional plays, that we will have to run in order to be more consistent at moving the chains and allowing our defense to get some rest. Feel sorry for Bills defenders till Lynch is back, they sure are going to earn their paychecks.