AVP and observations

billsfan_34

Back to AVP:

I thought the play-calling was great, but the game-planning was so far below the level of what the scumbag cheating opposition had, it was too much to overcome.

THEY design plays to get the ball to their stars (12 rec each for Moss & Welker).

WE take what they give us (5 combined rec for Owens and Evans).

That's the difference.

Oh, I agree - I think he has potential. But last night, the WR game plan was pretty badly exposed.

I'm not sure about that. If Owens and Jackson and Evans don't drop all those balls. If the 20 yard dart to Reed isn't called back by something that had nothing to do with the play, this game looks a little different as far as the WRs go, and the offense, because they were all first downs and another crack at it. I think the gameplan was fine for this game, and Trent played a whale of a game. Yes, we need to get our stars involved but we were spreading it around pretty good and a few more first downs on good plays and passes could have made a big difference. I'm looking forward to this offense next week at home against the Bucs to see what it looks like.

I agree with just about everything you just said. I am a big advocate of throwing the ball downfield, you have to keep defenses honest and it does open up the underneath stuff even more so. However, this game was different, my view of the game was that the *Pats put an extra emphasis to take away our WR's and we took what they gave us. Our offense was efficient and if we didn't drop a few of those passes that they should of made, we would of scored even more points.

You might be right, and I hope you are. I'm just worried about the fact that this game seemed par for the course (w/regard to recent history) and the possibility that the Pop Warner claim has some merit -- that the Bills are too simple and easy to read. We'll see in upcoming weeks. New Orleans is the biggie for me -- the defense isn't great, yet the Saints' offense is gonna score. The Bills can't sit in a shell; they have to attack downfield.

Keep in mind that AVP only had 10 days before the start of the season as an OC. Under the circumstances he did one hell of a job. As the season progresses, I believe we will see more plays designed to get the ball in the hands of our deep threats. The thing that impresses me is that he actually devised a game plan that was working nicely for the most part. That is a pretty tall order considering the amount of time he had. His play calling is very good. What I speculate is that AVP will be opening the play book up gradually as the season goes on. He is all ready getting the offense to operate at a faster tempo so he can't just throw in plays that have not been practiced to perfection. He can utilize plays that they have and I think that is what he has done. Given some time, the fast tempo plus some practice at getting the ball deep will certainly develop.

Back to AVP:

I thought the play-calling was great, but the game-planning was so far below the level of what the scumbag cheating opposition had, it was too much to overcome.

THEY design plays to get the ball to their stars (12 rec each for Moss & Welker).

WE take what they give us (5 combined rec for Owens and Evans).

That's the difference.

Good point. That means it's all on Edwards, which I'm fine with. He played a great game last night. But the Bills need to find ways to rack up points, and that means figuring out ways to get the ball into the hands of most dangerous their weapons. 278 total yards isn't very good. In fact, the Bills rank 28th in yards gained after one week (they averaged 305 last year). I realize that you can't read too much into one game, but I'd hold off on the parade for AVP until the offense becomes the upper tier unit it should be given the talent they have. Edwards is a good QB, the receivers are good, Freddie Jackson is good, and the line appears as if it won't be that bad (Hangartner looks to be a HUGE upgrade -- he actually gets out there on screens).

You guys keep talking about Evans & Owens being double covered. I haven't seen the replay of the game, yet on a few isolation shots Owens had single coverage from a CB and definitely had separation. Don't know if there was a safety lurking in the background, but nowhere near the camera angles.

Again, we'll have to rely on eyewitnesses from the game to tell whether the WRs were open, but the ball never went their way. And I'll repeat my concern - Reed is by far Edwards's favorite panic mode WR outlet. If this team wants to have any shot at all, Owens & Evans have to become the primary targets. You cannot hide behind "I'm taking what they're giving me" excuse for much longer.

It looked to me that the Bill's defense was giving the Patriots the "underneath stuff" and Brady took advantage of it. Most of Welker's and Moss's completions were short passes over the middle in the second half. Good offenses make adjustments to their game plan and take advantage of what defenses give them. Who cares how you win the game, as long as you win it!

Guest dog14787
I'm not sure about that. If Owens and Jackson and Evans don't drop all those balls. If the 20 yard dart to Reed isn't called back by something that had nothing to do with the play, this game looks a little different as far as the WRs go, and the offense, because they were all first downs and another crack at it. I think the gameplan was fine for this game, and Trent played a whale of a game. Yes, we need to get our stars involved but we were spreading it around pretty good and a few more first downs on good plays and passes could have made a big difference. I'm looking forward to this offense next week at home against the Bucs to see what it looks like.

What he said.

One thing I noticed or should say I didn't notice, did the Bills ever put Evans or Owens in motion? I think every play they just started from where they lined up.

I was wondering the same thing myself, actually hoping for a few more crossing routes to get the ball to TO. I think the no-huddle, coupled with the crowd noise, might make adding a lot of motion to the offense a little more difficult.

If defense isn't on the field so much for first 3 quarters, they may still have had a pass rush in the 4th. If they had more of a pass rush at end of game, think the long passes to TE over middle are disrupted and things are different. While offense had some success they didn't hold on to the ball long enough IMO, to help their defense. The defense just plain ran out of gas, and NE took advantage of it.

Of course if the return game does its job, we would have had a chance to finish game off, and defense may have had a change to catch their breath, at very least.

I thought Edwards did an excellent job of executing a very mediocre game plan. The Bills have to figure out ways to get their two studs - Evans and Owens - open and in single coverage. I'm sorry, but letting them get double covered nearly every play while Moss and Welker were consistently open suggests an overly simply scheme. Let's hope he figures out how to get those guys open, and fast. When the QB plays a nearly flawless game and the team only scores 17 (with only three real scoring opportunities), well, that's not great.

I thought the game plan was very good considering the short time period Alex had to put it together. I don't think Trent excecuted it very well with the exception of two drives. The rest of the game he was mediocre.

If defense isn't on the field so much for first 3 quarters, they may still have had a pass rush in the 4th. If they had more of a pass rush at end of game, think the long passes to TE over middle are disrupted and things are different. While offense had some success they didn't hold on to the ball long enough IMO, to help their defense. The defense just plain ran out of gas, and NE took advantage of it.

Of course if the return game does its job, we would have had a chance to finish game off, and defense may have had a change to catch their breath, at very least.

I put the blame for this on the defense itself and not the offense. Would have been nice to hold the ball longer on offense. But the bend but don't break prevent defense means we don't get many 3 outs but many drives that hopefully peter out before they get too close. Once Brady figured out what we were doing and started whipping us with the short passes and we could not longer bring a rush with only 4 guys, it's time to change things up a little. You know, blitz Mitchell and Whitner from the side an let him get in Brady's grill a few times. We played right into their hands.

pat*s brought out SBXXV defense and we scored 17 pts in 22 minutes. our problem was Defense not getting off the field. This O is going to get better as the season moves forward. A very painful mistake cost us. Shades of wide right.

Problem is that this Tampa Cover 2 sucks the hairy MOOSE C _ C K.

Never liked it, never will, rarly works without the elitist of personnel.