BREAKING NEWS: SCHONERT FIRED

thebandit27

AVP...c'mon. I am not sure what to think. Havent we seen 2 qbs in a row regress under his tutalage.

I am not happy or upset. I think Bobby April has an offensive background, should have been him. He seems to be the only one trying to be innovative.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this means is the *Patsie's* will create some bogus temp coaching job for Schonert next week. At least AVP's wife is hot! But seriously, I heard grumblings of Shonert not listening to input from other coaches and also not giving Trent much of a say in anything. If that's the case, then it's a good move to get him out. But why did it take so long? It's not like all this started last week...

it's not like Dick was asked by upper mgmt to can Turk at the end of last year - but he refused for the sake of "continuity"

so now Dick sees the light 1 week before the season starts??

sounds to me like Dick got another call, but it was not a polite request this time.

Hard to see how Alex will be any improvement since he is still operating under Dick's super conservative philosphy.

Turk is the scapegoat Dick will be riding to yer 2 of his contract, regardless of the team's performance in 2009

Been on the road today (and listening to a truly WGR Schopp/Parker show for part of the trip). This just keeps getting better and better, eh? I can just imagine what the first 24 pages look like ... which means I'm not going back through them, and everything I say has probably already been discussed. Ah well.

Cue the calliope music. Heck, for all I know, this may end up being a stroke of genius -- but right now, it reeks of desperation, true deck-chairs-on-the-Titanic stuff. So I guess all that talk about "continuity" wasn't working out so well? (55-3. Yeah, guess not.)

On my way out the door to a HS game, but I'll leave you with two things Paul Hamilton said when he was on with Schopp/Dog. (Again, someone may have already mentioned this; apologies for any repeats): Ralph Wilson paid Jauron a little visit following the GB game, and he was NOT happy. I'd heard rumors of that, but not first-hand from someone who covered the game. Other tidbit was, Jauron and Schonert got into a screaming match after the infamous Losman rollout vs. the Jets -- the one DJ ended up taking the blame for, remember? A lot of us didn't buy his "it was me" story back then, and it sounds like our suspicions were correct.

Carry on ...

There are so many places to begin... I feel this was nothing but Jauron throwing Turk under the bus to try and extend his stay here. Notice I didn't say save his ass? I think that ship has sailed. I think in the end he can tell other owners he did all he could by firing Turk blah blah blah.

As for as Ralph not being happy, hire a real HC Ralph. Move Russ back to marketing, hire a Ron Wolf or Charlie Casserly and let them bring in someone. PAY to bring in Holmgren, Shanahan....someone with a proven track record and let them have at it.

This entire team has to be rebuilt again.

While he may not have any NFL experience calling plays, he has called plays before in NFL Europe:

COACHES BIO:

"spent the 2005 NFL Europe season as the Frankfurt Galaxy’s quarterbacks coach where he was responsible for all offensive play-calling."

Now, I remember watching several pieces on him when he was doing this and I remember everyone saying that he had a natural gift for getting the team in the right plays. I am not sure it will translate to the NFL, but I am willing to give him a chance. With the amount of points we have scored the past few weeks, it can't get worse.

So, he does have some experience......I am willing to give him a chance.

i know a guy who once smoked weed with the pill at pitt. said he was an awesome guy. i support the move.

If what Lori heard is true then kudos to Jauron for being a stand up guy. Taking bullets for Turk's idiocy is not a easy thing to go.

We're pretty quick to hammer the guy but none of us knows what goes on behind the scenes. A "screaming" match doesn't sound like Jauron but the guy did play in the NFL so maybe there's more fire than we realize.

I love the AVP move and I really hope it works out.

Guest dog14787
No wonder everyone loves Jauron, if he really took the fall for one of the most bone headed play calls ever.

The biggest problem I have with all this is DJ should have made the move sooner because he had plenty of evidence to support the fact that we had an inadequate OC after last season. Although with that being said, it took balls to do it now.

So we have regressed from an assistant spawned of of an assistant spawned off of an assistant and still employ the same failing offense (with some tweaks from each OC) :thumbsup:

Bold move by Dick Jauron. Based on what we all saw in the preseason I think this is a good move.

I love the move, but this was Ralph, not Dick. For whatever they say in the press conference, if Dick were deciding he would say "Turk is a good guy, he's working really hard trying to get better, and we expect a lot out of him" and settle for sucking. I don't think we can be worse than Turk, and a little fire under Alex will be good.

As far as it being a disaster with timing as some others have said NO WAY! Van Pelt has been involved so nothing is taking a step backwards or retooling, but the fresh blood getting involved for our couldn't-be-worse offense could really be a positive. This does not affect our opening game which Turk was not going to do anything to help us cover the spread much less win. So the wild card aspect of it improves our chances in the opener, which is a game we should probably end up losing on a path to 5-11 or 11-5. As for the fifteen games that follow, I think this is a positive move for us. Would have been better to get a real coordinator in February, but I'll take what I can get now.

Go Alex!

I believe someone already predicted this, but I think it could very well happen.... Van Pelt will be the interim HC by the end of the season... Or the new HC next season...

With guys like Cowher, Schotty, Gruden and Shanny out there, the ever brilliant Wilson will give the job to AVP... the "fan favorite"... This could get ugly...

The OC change may not be a huge deal... but what comes next is what worries me....

Other tidbit was, Jauron and Schonert got into a screaming match after the infamous Losman rollout vs. the Jets -- the one DJ ended up taking the blame for, remember? A lot of us didn't buy his "it was me" story back then, and it sounds like our suspicions were correct.

Hmm. Jauron flat out lied if that is the case. He didn't say it was his responsibility. He said that he called the play. He was asked if he overruled Turk often and he went on to explain he didn't do it often, but that he did do it some, and that it was a reasonable call for various reasons. It's one thing to accept responsibility for a mistake by someone under you. It is quite another, IMHO, to grossly misrepresent what happened and bring your character into question.

If that's true then, wow. Just, wow.

Been on the road today (and listening to a truly WGR Schopp/Parker show for part of the trip). This just keeps getting better and better, eh? I can just imagine what the first 24 pages look like ... which means I'm not going back through them, and everything I say has probably already been discussed. Ah well.

Cue the calliope music. Heck, for all I know, this may end up being a stroke of genius -- but right now, it reeks of desperation, true deck-chairs-on-the-Titanic stuff. So I guess all that talk about "continuity" wasn't working out so well? (55-3. Yeah, guess not.)

On my way out the door to a HS game, but I'll leave you with two things Paul Hamilton said when he was on with Schopp/Dog. (Again, someone may have already mentioned this; apologies for any repeats): Ralph Wilson paid Jauron a little visit following the GB game, and he was NOT happy. I'd heard rumors of that, but not first-hand from someone who covered the game. Other tidbit was, Jauron and Schonert got into a screaming match after the infamous Losman rollout vs. the Jets -- the one DJ ended up taking the blame for, remember? A lot of us didn't buy his "it was me" story back then, and it sounds like our suspicions were correct.

Carry on ...

Wait, Lori, that's a breaking story. Dick Jauron screamed and showed emotion? Stop the presses!!! Vicki Vail!

As for as Ralph not being happy, hire a real HC Ralph. Move Russ back to marketing, hire a Ron Wolf or Charlie Casserly and let them bring in someone. PAY to bring in Holmgren, Shanahan....someone with a proven track record and let them have at it.

This entire team has to be rebuilt again.

Charlie Casserly is my professor. I'll have to let him know there are Bills fans calling for his hiring. Now we just need Ralph to do it!

Charlie Casserly is my professor. I'll have to let him know there are Bills fans calling for his hiring. Now we just need Ralph to do it!

Charlie Casserly would get my vote as well, about the only guy I actually listen to on pre game shows. He would need to have enough power to pick the right coach and not some Costco / Walmart bargain basement no nothing.

I have no idea how AVP will do as as coach, but the Bills are no different than many teams in the league in hiring ex-players who want to get into coaching. Thats the way things are in the NFL. Most ex-players either get their first job with the team they played for, or if one of their coaches when they played are now with another team, they may go there. As a few ex Bill's have got jobs with Indy, no doubt with some help from Bill Polian. Often these players were backups or low paid starters as anyone who made alot of money as a player likely doesn't want to get into the long hours of coaching. A 3rd sting QB also has a better idea how a game is called than a starter would, so again no problem threr with me. What starting QBs became good coaches? I can't recall any since Bart Starr, and he wasn't a very good coach anyway.

Call me skeptical but, I don't see how this makes the Bills any better.

I'm excited at the prospect of change. But, what is Alex Van Pelt going to bring to the table that is so much different? No one seems to know anything about him and I'm waiting to hear something. This is a guy who was a career back up, apparently got rehired as only the Bills will do (being an organization that always love nepotism aka members of the "Bills family" get promoted). I am optimistic based off the fact that I think (and always have thought) that Schonert was a bull sh-- hire. Another way Wilson tried to cut corners with the coaching staff. So I love the possibilities of having someone else in control. But, I'm not sure how this is any different unless Van Pelt has subtle offensive genius that no one has yet witnessed. This just feels like things are coming undone, not being put back together.

My expectations are very low for this season.......could this be the year we get that franchise QB?

Probably not - I don't think Taylor Potts will come out early.

But maybe in 2010 - even if he does lead the NCAA in every stat for 2 years and wins the Heisman - we'll be able to pick him up in round 7 or as an UDFA since, after all, he plays for...

Mike Leach :thumbsup:

Hmm. Jauron flat out lied if that is the case. He didn't say it was his responsibility. He said that he called the play. He was asked if he overruled Turk often and he went on to explain he didn't do it often, but that he did do it some, and that it was a reasonable call for various reasons. It's one thing to accept responsibility for a mistake by someone under you. It is quite another, IMHO, to grossly misrepresent what happened and bring your character into question.

If that's true then, wow. Just, wow.

Oh stop.

He didn't do anything close to bringing his character into question. He protected his coordinator. That's all.

DJ did what nearly every coach would have done in that situation. It does no good to have a pissing contest with your own staff in the press when there are games left to be played. It wasn't even a very GOOD attempt since it was very transparent at the time that it was Turk's call and DJ was just taking the blame.

Now ... as for firing your OC one week before the season kicks off? Awesome. This team is going to be a laughing stock all season long. This is just the start. Correction -- the start was when DJ was not let go in the off season. He's a miserable head coach with no ability to manage games or make crucial decisions. But he absolutely is a high character, high quality human being. I'd love to have him as a neighbor or a friend. But not as my team's head coach. Ever.

I echo Ruben ... I've never been so blase about the start of an NFL season. Ever.