While our offense is troubling...

The one thing I've taken from the last two games is our defense actually looks okay. Yes there's still no pass rush but the run D is looking stout and our D-backs are making plays. This may be the only thing that keeps games interesting while the offense tries to figure itself out.

PTR

The one thing I've taken from the last two games is our defense actually looks okay. Yes there's still no pass rush but the run D is looking stout and our D-backs are making plays. This may be the only thing that keeps games interesting while the offense tries to figure itself out.

PTR

I think it's the other way around. The D has given up 72 points in 3 games. Run D has looked decent but the DB's are consistently 3-4 steps (or more) off the receiver when they catch the ball. They really, really need some QB pressure to help out the secondary.

I disagree. This defense is predicated on pass rush. The first teamers haven't even sniffed a QB's jersey all preseason. Notice also, on 3rd and long situations, when we get burned time and time again on a 4 yard dump off pass in the flat, and goes for 13 yards and a 1st down. This is usually because of an obvious mismatch in coverage, like a DE covering a RB or something.

We have NO answer for screens, quick slants, and general horizontal passing plays. This defense remains fatally flawed until we have pass rush and can account for the dink and dunk passing game. Give Brady 2 seconds to find Welker and he'll break tackles and burn us ALL DAY.

I disagree. This defense is predicated on pass rush. The first teamers haven't even sniffed a QB's jersey all preseason. Notice also, on 3rd and long situations, when we get burned time and time again on a 4 yard dump off pass in the flat, and goes for 13 yards and a 1st down. This is usually because of an obvious mismatch in coverage, like a DE covering a RB or something.

We have NO answer for screens, quick slants, and general horizontal passing plays. This defense remains fatally flawed until we have pass rush and can account for the dink and dunk passing game. Give Brady 2 seconds to find Welker and he'll break tackles and burn us ALL DAY.

This is because the DB's are nearly always 3-4 steps or more, away from the receiver when they catch the ball. Pass rush would help in pressuring the QB, but that isn't going to get the DB's any closer to the receivers.

PTR

Wish I could say I agree entirely. They've had their moments (1st team) but the left side of the D has been getting it's ass handed to it and Scott looks weak so far in pass coverage as well. LBs taking some terrible angles as well at times. I have a 50-50 assessment at this point.

An assessment I put absolutely NO stock in, by the way.

GO BILLS!!!

I have a sinking suspicion that the defense will need to be better than hoped in 09. If the no-huddle offense can't sustain drives, it's the defense which will be spending a lot more time on the field. They've had issues holding up over the course of the season

That DL is the most important part of the defense. They've been OK handling the run, but if teams see Buffalo demonstrating a distinct weakness generating a pass rush, they'll throw like GB did last week. All the DB's in the world do not make up for 2 or 3 guys who can rush the passer.

I have a sinking suspicion that the defense will need to be better than hoped in 09. If the no-huddle offense can't sustain drives, it's the defense which will be spending a lot more time on the field. They've had issues holding up over the course of the season

That DL is the most important part of the defense. They've been OK handling the run, but if teams see Buffalo demonstrating a distinct weakness generating a pass rush, they'll throw like GB did last week. All the DB's in the world do not make up for 2 or 3 guys who can rush the passer.

Can you prove that that last statement is true? If not, then the only way to truly decide its truth is acquire all the DBs in the world, and to see if they do or don't make up for those two or three pass rushers. And I know of a head coach determined to do exactly that!

I agree with PTR, I think the D is promising. Poz looks great this preseason, and I expect Pro Bowl level play from him all year and the rest of his career. Mitchell, with a year here under his belt will play much better knowing Poz has the inside taken care of. DT's are fine, as are the DB's. With Maybin and the seemingly emergence of Ellis and Bryan, there's hope for outside pressure, though we haven't seen it to date.

We were a respectable Defense last year and we've improved. JMO.

This is because the DB's are nearly always 3-4 steps or more, away from the receiver when they catch the ball. Pass rush would help in pressuring the QB, but that isn't going to get the DB's any closer to the receivers.

I think one goes hand in hand with the other. Our CBs have to give a cushion otherwise they will get burned because ther is NO PASS RUSH!!! If the CBs kno that someone is gona be in the QBs face then they can get up on their man and take some chances. Even the best Corners cant stay with a receiver for 4+ secs. When we blitz I would like to see our corners up a little more tho.

Can you prove that that last statement is true? If not, then the only way to truly decide its truth is acquire all the DBs in the world, and to see if they do or don't make up for those two or three pass rushers. And I know of a head coach determined to do exactly that!

DJ is certainly trying to field a defense full of DB's. :wallbash:

In four drafts with DJ as HC, they've used 2 1sts, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, and 2 4ths on DB's. The result is less spent in areas we still have question marks at: pass rushers and blockers.

I'm not liking how our safeties and LB's are getting abused by opposing tight ends.

yep.. and this is nothing new either, it's been an ongoing issue for the last few seasons.

much as the thought of having DJ here for another three seasons makes me wanna throw up, the fact that Fewell is still here is also deeply disturbing.

one would like to assume that DJ knows about his personal incompetence, and would at least try to surround himself with some quality assistant coaches who really know what they're doing. then again, if you were an up-and-coming assistant coach, why would you want to throw in your lot with a head coach who is widely known for indecision, being a blunderbuss, random incompetence and general uselessness??

Promo,

I'm not sure what you're looking at that makes you feel comfortable but I'm going to have to disagree. I was at the Green Bay game and outside of one 4th down stand our defense was awful. The first TD pass was walked in because our DB's like to play 5 yards off the WR even when the offense is on the 2 yard line. I haven't seen a cushion like that since Kelso (aka Dark Helmet) was playing center field 60 yards from the line of scrimmage. We gave up an absurdly easy rushing TD because neither one of our craptastic LDE's is capable of containing anything. One one play one of the craptastic duo ran right past the ball carrier on his way to the QB.

The rest of the time he was in the game Rogers had his way with our secondary. On one of the completed passes to the TE we got lucky because they had a WR running down the left sideline completely uncovered. I thought it was going to be a TD but a little pressure forced Rogers to go with the 20 yard gain instead of the TD.

On a positive note, it's still the pre-season and I'm not drawing any conclusions about this team. If they get absolutely stomped by NE on Monday night we'll know for sure where we stand.

I think one goes hand in hand with the other. Our CBs have to give a cushion otherwise they will get burned because ther is NO PASS RUSH!!! If the CBs kno that someone is gona be in the QBs face then they can get up on their man and take some chances. Even the best Corners cant stay with a receiver for 4+ secs. When we blitz I would like to see our corners up a little more tho.

I respectfully disagree. Even on short slants & posts, which are thrown typically before the pass rush gets to the QB, the Bills DBs are way off. Watch the Giants or GB or the Steelers and see how close their DBs are to the receivers AT the catch, even deep. I don't know whether it's Fewell's scheme or whether the DBs just don't have the skills or closing speed, or what. I'll try to watch a little closer this season, if I can stand the nausea.

PTR

I like what I've seen so far from Ellis and Bryan. McCargo looks to actually chip in this year. Poz will do well if the guys in front of him are creating havoc. I also don't think we've seen the best the D has to offer. They've been pretty bland with their pressures and game planning. I think they have the chance to be top 12 if the offense doesn't screw them.

I think the defense will be pretty good this year. We were middle of the pack in points and yards given up and I suspect we'll be about the same or a little better this year. Coming into this weekends game, the Bills lead the NFL with 7 picks. That's gotta be worth something! As long as the offense can score some points and hold onto the ball a little we'll be fine. If we gotta hold teams below 12 to win, we're toast.

I respectfully disagree. Even on short slants & posts, which are thrown typically before the pass rush gets to the QB, the Bills DBs are way off. Watch the Giants or GB or the Steelers and see how close their DBs are to the receivers AT the catch, even deep. I don't know whether it's Fewell's scheme or whether the DBs just don't have the skills or closing speed, or what. I'll try to watch a little closer this season, if I can stand the nausea.

Pressure 3-4 schemes and elite pass rushers.....no where near the 4-3 cover 2 stuff the Bills run. Look at the Colts and Bucs to see what the Bills do.

McGee and McKelvin are good enough to play in any defense and any scheme. Man to man or cover 2, they both have very good ball skills and quickness.

Actually it should. With no pass rush, you *have* to play soft coverage or else risk being exposed deep far more frequently. Without time to let deep routes develop, we could afford to play much tighter coverage. Pass rush is everything right now, and right now we don't have it.

Has a Buffalo blitzer under Jauron/Fewell ever reached the QB? Seriously, I've never seen more blitzing LBs run into the middle of the OL and get nowhere than on this team.

Schobel/Maybin/Copeland/Ellis really need to provide a rush this season. That's the bottom line.