Bengals - not a good coaching staff

Fewell733

http://deadspin.com/5347189/this-is-why-nf...g?autoplay=true

I was shocked by how the coaches, including Marvin Lewis himself, openly mocked their injured players into returning to the field before they're ready. That's not toughness, that's stupidity.

Why, other than a pay check, would those guys want to win for those coaches?

"Where do I sign up for my bucket hat? All I get is an invite to the owner's box..."

Regards,

Carl Pavano

That was hilarious. I completely understand where he's coming from. If you've got legitimate serious injuries, that's one thing, but the majority of the time these guys have "strains" because they don't want to play. I saw it when I played in high school and I saw it in college. It's really annoying when you're out there working your ass off and some guy trots off the field with an "injury", and we all know he's not really hurt, he just doesn't feel like running anymore.

This year's Hard Knocks has been good, like the KC one a few years back.

W/regard to the Bengals, the old saying 'sh*t flows down stream' is appropriate. They have a cheap owner that, when two tight ends go down, one for the season, leaving only a raw rookie and a journeyman backup to play, suggests they convert a defensive player rather than sign a free agent. You can see the discomfort on the tight end coaches face when Mike Brown makes the suggestion, but he has to go along with it.

This is a team that for years had no scouting staff. They had the assistant coaches do the scouting. No matter how bad things get/are with the Bills, I always remember that at least they're not the Bungholes.

That was hilarious. I completely understand where he's coming from. If you've got legitimate serious injuries, that's one thing, but the majority of the time these guys have "strains" because they don't want to play. I saw it when I played in high school and I saw it in college. It's really annoying when you're out there working your ass off and some guy trots off the field with an "injury", and we all know he's not really hurt, he just doesn't feel like running anymore.

There is always two sides to an injury. Notice they weren't saying anything to Carson Palmer about his "sprain"?

Best show on television, bar none. How insane would it be if they did a Hard Knowcks on the Bills one of these seasons? How cool are Carson Palmer and Tank Williams? How sick of Chad Johnson would you get if he was on your team yappin every day?

ummm, kinda of like Donte' Witner?

I was shocked by how the coaches, including Marvin Lewis himself, openly mocked their injured players into returning to the field before they're ready. That's not toughness, that's stupidity.

This worked for Miami last year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...s-sorry-for-you

I played football in high school for a team that won 5 straight sectional titles and appeared in 4 state titles in 5 years winning 3 of them.

The same line was said to me one time when I was out with a concussion... an assistant coach said "don't talk to me, I don't talk to the hurt guys."

All in all it isn't meant to hurt anyones feelings. My coaches were the best and I have the most respect for them in the world. We wouldn't have won the games without our coaches so therefore this post doesn't make sense.

You are right the Bengals coaching sucks but not because of the injury comment.

Ocho Dinco's 2008 stats

Rec Yds Avg Long TD

53 540 10.2 26 4

Come on, seriously? Pick his worst year and post the stats. Awesome.

How about Whitners BEST stats: 2006, where he tied for being the 36th leading tackler in the NFL.

Games Solo Ast Total INT

15 67 38 105 1

Seriously, Ochocinqo has at least been to a Pro Bowl. 5 times actually, and besides Palmer is the star of the team. If everyone with less than 70 yearly solo tackles and 2 CAREER int's thought they had the right to run their mouth no one would ever shut up.

Best show on television, bar none. How insane would it be if they did a Hard Knocks on the Bills one of these seasons? How cool are Carson Palmer and Tank Williams? How sick of Chad Johnson would you get if he was on your team yappin every day?

I do love the show and I've actually enjoyed every season they've done it. Man, does it get good (showing the human side of sports) when you get down to these last two weeks and the cut downs.

BTW, seeing that Chad Johnson is the Bengals' disaster kicker and that Shane Graham was hurt changes some of the circumstances of heat that Ochocinco took from not only the local media but from NFL radio concerning his extra point kick and kick off.

Best show on television, bar none. How insane would it be if they did a Hard Knocks on the Bills one of these seasons? How cool are Carson Palmer and Tank Williams? How sick of Chad Johnson would you get if he was on your team yappin every day?

Agreed, love the show. Carson Palmer seems like such a cool guy and I loved it when they did the oklahoma drill on the first episode. It's so cool to see what happens behind the scenes, overall just great television. HBO continues to raise the bar every year.

Agreed, love the show. Carson Palmer seems like such a cool guy and I loved it when they did the oklahoma drill on the first episode. It's so cool to see what happens behind the scenes, overall just great television. HBO continues to raise the bar every year.

Agreed, everything HBO does is unparalleled. If anyone on here has yet to see the documentary on the boxing match where the guy takes the padding out of his glove, make sure and watch it ASAP- it should be on demand still. The Ted Williams documentary was unbelievable, the new Real Sports with the interview with Nick Schuyler is unbelievable... How bad does it suck that they got rid of Inside the NFL? Although I must admit, I grew up watching Bunochonti (sp?) and Dawson, so the new crew wasn't the same, but still the best NFL programming in the business.

Pretty sure they pay them even if they lose. Even if they're injured.

Agreed, everything HBO does is unparalleled. If anyone on here has yet to see the documentary on the boxing match where the guy takes the padding out of his glove, make sure and watch it ASAP- it should be on demand still. The Ted Williams documentary was unbelievable, the new Real Sports with the interview with Nick Schuyler is unbelievable... How bad does it suck that they got rid of Inside the NFL? Although I must admit, I grew up watching Bunochonti (sp?) and Dawson, so the new crew wasn't the same, but still the best NFL programming in the business.

I was talking about a few buddies of mine the other day and I was thinking of how cool it would be if HBO came out with an nfl show like ESPNs playmakers a few years ago. HBO could put the show out with solid actors and solid writing it would be awesome. The problem is HBO has a good relationship with the NFL that I'm sure they wouldn't want to jeopardize that.

I might be in the minority on this board, but I like Chad. I think that he has a great personality and loves playing the game. I thought that it was kind of cool when they showed him going to the club, but he did not drink, and when he went to buy earings at some strip mall place and spent $15. He was making a point that just because you have a lot of money, you do not have to waste it. It is too bad more athletes do not realize this.

I would take him on the Bills anytime.

In a way, he is like TO. They both have personality (sometime oversized personality), but never get in trouble with the law.

I might be in the minority on this board, but I like Chad. I think that he has a great personality and loves playing the game. I thought that it was kind of cool when they showed him going to the club, but he did not drink, and when he went to buy earings at some strip mall place and spent $15. He was making a point that just because you have a lot of money, you do not have to waste it. It is too bad more athletes do not realize this.

I would take him on the Bills anytime.

In a way, he is like TO. They both have personality (sometime oversized personality), but never get in trouble with the law.

You may be in the minority, but you are not alone, Peter. I really like the guy, think he is fun and adds a lot to the game.

I am very unimpressed by the Bengals HC.....

I watch all the hard knocks.....never saw one where the HC doesn't talk to the players to tell them they have been cut. Except now.

I am very unimpressed by the Bengals HC.....

I watch all the hard knocks.....never saw one where the HC doesn't talk to the players to tell them they have been cut. Except now.

I agree. The Bengals are kind of ruthless in that regard -- especially compared to the way the Chiefs did it last year.

Do you remember the episode from a week or two ago when they woke the guy up at 5:30 in the morning to tell him that he was cut and that he needed to be out front about two hours later for the car to take him to the airport.

With the Chiefs, it usually was a position coach who gave the bad news in that coach's office. The coach also was much nicer about the way that he handled it (especially compared to the hatchet man that the Bengals use).

For some reason, I am reminded of an episode of Cheers where norm was the designated guy to tell employees of his company that they had been let go.

I agree. The Bengals are kind of ruthless in that regard -- especially compared to the way the Chiefs did it last year.

Do you remember the episode from a week or two ago when they woke the guy up at 5:30 in the morning to tell him that he was cut and that he needed to be out front about two hours later for the car to take him to the airport.

With the Chiefs, it usually was a position coach who gave the bad news in that coach's office. The coach also was much nicer about the way that he handled it (especially compared to the hatchet man that the Bengals use).

For some reason, I am reminded of an episode of Cheers where norm was the designated guy to tell employees of his company that they had been let go.

I mean....last episode when they cut that running back they pulled him out of the players in the hallway and just did it right there for anyone hanging out to hear.

You are basically crushing a players dreams and you are going to do it this way?

I just get this vision of tigers pulling a sheep out of the pack and everybody else should be lucky they have their jobs or some @hit.....is this what they are trying to portray? You better play hard or we are going to embarris you. Fir Christ Sake they didn't even give the guy reps to see if he COULD play.

I mean....last episode when they cut that running back they pulled him out of the players in the hallway and just did it right there for anyone hanging out to hear.

You are basically crushing a players dreams and you are going to do it this way?

I just get this vision of tigers pulling a sheep out of the pack and everybody else should be lucky they have their jobs or some @hit.....is this what they are trying to portray? You better play hard or we are going to embarris you. Fir Christ Sake they didn't even give the guy reps to see if he COULD play.

Totally agree.

I caught a piece of a Bungles preseason game last night and saw some real idiocy.

With a couple seconds left in the 1st half the Rams line up for a FG and Marvin Lewis pulls one of those called time-outs just as the Rams are snapping the ball. In the first half. Of a freaking scrimmage.

What a jackass.