JW article on McKorner

Beerball

I have some really interesting information from some of my magazines (no, not my nudey magazine), but I don't know how to post it. I cannot find the articles online anywhere.

Summarize it and tell us the magazine's name, which issue it's in, and the page. If that's not good enough for people, they can blow it out their ear.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a BIG piece of news, IMO. i hope john realizes just how much insight and new light this sheds on something i think every Bills fan has been bitching about for at least the past couple of seasons...

im shocked right now. i always thought the players lined up EXACTLY where they were told to. if our DBs have been choosing to back off the line... well i guess that doesnt speak too highly of our coaching staff that they couldnt get them where they should have been? i dont know. im pretty shocked by this revelation right now...

Riiiiight. Its like Fewell farted and pointed at McKelvin.

Is he saying that after three years of intensive Monday Morning film study and great practices on Friday, Fewell hasn't noticed this little tendency for the DBs to play 10 yards back?

Nope. Not buyin'.

I have some really interesting information from some of my magazines (no, not my nudey magazine), but I don't know how to post it. I cannot find the articles online anywhere.

Shnooks, if you are able to access an online library (either via a school or by public) you should be able to copy them. If you have the name, year and publication pm me and I can forward them to you.

Didja ever think that I don't give a rat's patootie?

So testy, Beersphere.

We all have our weaknesses. Well, at least most of us.

Yours just happens to be writing crappy thread titles. :lol:

i was pretty baffled myself on it, though i think it had more to do with McKelvin's comfort zone at that point in time early in camp than anything else. i had discussed the 10-15 yard cushion with Perry shortly after the Hall of Fame game, and he gave me the same line then.

of course, there has been a big concern as noted in the story how much development time McKelvin lost due to the infected finger. the Bills staff was eager to have McKelvin work against Owens and Evans during that time to get him better accustomed to facing elite receivers.

i think Leodis is, in fact, coming along. Maybin has a way to go, not much is being expected out of him for Saturday's game.

taking a three-day weekend before it all really starts piling on. will check in at some point.

jw

Hey John, do you think there is a chance that you can somehow lay the foundation of doubt in the back of his mind, that many of us fans are critical of him and his reluctance to allow the db's play closer to the other opposing WR's grill?

Hey John, do you think there is a chance that you can somehow lay the foundation of doubt in the back of his mind, that many of us fans are critical of him and his reluctance to allow the db's play closer to the other opposing WR's grill?

The article says that he is critical of the DBs (at least McKorner) for playing too far off. I think I remember quotes from McGee saying that the scheme called for that much cushion and everyone assumed that was the case. If he truly doesn't want his corners playing that far off the WR then that should be a pretty easy fix shouldn't it.

Goddammit McKorner and McGee I told you worthless !@#$s to get in the receivers face. Quit this kitty sh-- 12 yard cushion bull sh-- goddammit!

I think that approach would work.

i was pretty baffled myself on it, though i think it had more to do with McKelvin's comfort zone at that point in time early in camp than anything else. i had discussed the 10-15 yard cushion with Perry shortly after the Hall of Fame game, and he gave me the same line then.

of course, there has been a big concern as noted in the story how much development time McKelvin lost due to the infected finger. the Bills staff was eager to have McKelvin work against Owens and Evans during that time to get him better accustomed to facing elite receivers.

i think Leodis is, in fact, coming along. Maybin has a way to go, not much is being expected out of him for Saturday's game.

taking a three-day weekend before it all really starts piling on. will check in at some point.

jw

I was baffled by it, myself. However, it's self-evident that there are always two things going on: How far away the player is coached to be and how far away the player lines up himself on the play where he feels comfortable. It goes without saying that the Bills corners are not coached to press the WRs, and pretty much all of them play well off the line except in obvious instances where they are right up on the line.

This seems to be an instance where McLovin' was coached to play significantly off the line but lined up himself too far for the coach's liking, and gave up too much of a cushion. I'm not worried about mcLovin' too much, I think he is going to be a stud after a year or so. As soon as he gets a little more confidence, he will creep up.

Fewell's answer should not be interpreted to mean that it is the CB's decision on how far away from the line he plays, they are coached to play off the line in this defense. It is the CB's decision to play seven or eight or nine yards off, however, depending on how fast they are, their responsibilities on that play, the down and distance, and who they are covering -- and that one or two yards can be a difference maker.

Fewell's answer should not be interpreted to mean that it is the CB's decision on how far away from the line he plays, they are coached to play off the line in this defense. It is the CB's decision to play seven or eight or nine yards off, however, depending on how fast they are, their responsibilities on that play, the down and distance, and who they are covering -- and that one or two yards can be a difference maker.

This.

I was baffled by it, myself. However, it's self-evident that there are always two things going on: How far away the player is coached to be and how far away the player lines up himself on the play where he feels comfortable. It goes without saying that the Bills corners are not coached to press the WRs, and pretty much all of them play well off the line except in obvious instances where they are right up on the line.

This seems to be an instance where McLovin' was coached to play significantly off the line but lined up himself too far for the coach's liking, and gave up too much of a cushion. I'm not worried about mcLovin' too much, I think he is going to be a stud after a year or so. As soon as he gets a little more confidence, he will creep up.

for what it's worth, McKelvin spoke about his responsibilities and that he needs to become a complete corner -- press and zone -- in order to free up the Bills pass-rush.

of course, there are times where the CBs are asked to play off, and other times when they need to press. McKelvin needs to find that comfort zone because he is still a considerably raw player, who didn't get the advantage to see or face complex passing schemes at Troy.

from my understanding, he was playing off in order to better read where the quarterback's going. with his speed, he could get away with that at Troy. that doesn't work at this level, and McKelvin acknowledged that he has relied a little too much on instinct over technique.

i like Perry, by the way.

jw

for what it's worth, McKelvin spoke about his responsibilities and that he needs to become a complete corner -- press and zone -- in order to free up the Bills pass-rush.

of course, there are times where the CBs are asked to play off, and other times when they need to press. McKelvin needs to find that comfort zone because he is still a considerably raw player, who didn't get the advantage to see or face complex passing schemes at Troy.

from my understanding, he was playing off in order to better read where the quarterback's going. with his speed, he could get away with that at Troy. that doesn't work at this level, and McKelvin acknowledged that he has relied a little too much on instinct over technique.

i like Perry, by the way.

jw

That all makes perfect sense to me. McLovin' looks very good at reading the QBs eyes, and often makes plays doing just that. Sometimes it looks like he is not even watching the WR at all, and just sensing where he is behind him. That worked great, for example, on his interception against Cutler in the Bears game. There are also times when he has done the same thing and played off the line then backpedaled, and just watched the QB but by the time he closed on the ball, the WR caught it two yards in front of him. That's obviously what Fewell is talking about.

Again, I am not really worried about Leodis, I really think he is going to be great. But that doesn't mean there aren't going to be some growing pains while he gets accustomed to this league. He's not going to be a blanker cover man instantly. Fewell has to decide, as well as Leodis, how much is too much to lay off and how much is too much to creep up.

Somebody PLEASE tell McKelvin that you cannot give a 10 yard cushion on the 5 yard line! The Patriots, just like GB did with Jennings, will turn that into a quick pass and get 6 every time... He should either play press or stand on the goal line, NOT 5 yards deep in the endzone.

Would you find McKorner acceptable?

The 'mckorner' thing has bothered me ever since you started with it. The fact that the other starting db's name starts with 'mc' and top that with another db's name actually being corner, it's like you are intentionally being ambigous abut the players identity. It sucks as a nickname. Maybe someone can come up with something temperature related.

Somebody PLEASE tell McKelvin that you cannot give a 10 yard cushion on the 5 yard line! The Patriots, just like GB did with Jennings, will turn that into a quick pass and get 6 every time... He should either play press or stand on the goal line, NOT 5 yards deep in the endzone.

Maybe he thought he was in the CFL.

1st and goal at the 5. QB says, "Hey, Gordy. Go long."

GO BILLS!!!

jw

JW - can you elaborate a bit on Maybin's progress this week. I have not seen much published on his progress, but interested to see how he is coming a long as well as how much we should expect to see him this week.

Thanks!

JW - can you elaborate a bit on Maybin's progress this week. I have not seen much published on his progress, but interested to see how he is coming a long as well as how much we should expect to see him this week.

Thanks!

why yes i can elaborate. please see my story filed today and just moved on the AP wire should be available out there on the interweb. i haven't been able to find it yet, but it's out there.

jw

ADD: to update GG, who likes a personal service, the story essentially notes that Maybin has a long way to go and didn't exactly look good in first week of practice. ... happy to be of service G!

:wallbash:

why yes i can elaborate. please see my story filed today and just moved on the AP wire should be available out there on the interweb. i haven't been able to find it yet, but it's out there.

jw

ADD: to update GG, who likes a personal service, the story essentially notes that Maybin has a long way to go and didn't exactly look good in first week of practice. ... happy to be of service G!

:wallbash:

Wow. Wouldn't have guessed the tone from Yahoo's title:

Bills DE Maybin eager to make preseason debut