Scott Norwood signing autographs

Beerball

Using that guideline, you have 3 Hall of Famers that didn't cement their greatness.

Bruce failed to strip Hoss of the ball - 5 point difference

Jimbo underthrew a wide open Lofton - 4 point difference

Thurman - unable to break Everson Walls' tackle - 7 point difference

That's 16 total points that were left on the field by HoF'ers, compared to 3 points by the bum kicker.

Keep blaming the wrong guy if it makes you feel better.

Again, I realize there are a ton of plays that could have been made and/or a bunch of mistakes to be avoided, but my point is that not one of them individually could have GUARANTEED A VICTORY. Norwood had a guaranteed victory on his toe and he booted it wide. Was it a long kick, yes. Was it impossible, No. Bottom line for me is that he had a chance to make history with one single play and he, himself blew it. I still have no ill will toward him. I wish him a long and happy life and would shake his hand if I met him. But I will always have some anger toward him.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I realize there are a ton of plays that could have been made and/or a bunch of mistakes to be avoided, but my point is that not one of them individually could have GUARANTEED A VICTORY. Norwood had a guaranteed victory on his toe and he booted it wide. Was it a long kick, yes. Was it impossible, No. Bottom line for me is that he had a chance to make history with one single play and he, himself blew it. I still have no ill will toward him. I wish him a long and happy life and would shake his hand if I met him. But I will always have some anger toward him.

If Thurman breaks Walls' tackle it's also a guaranteed win. Thomas had a better track record of avoiding CB tacklers than Norwood had kicking 47 yd FGs on grass.

Norwood's play was the most visible, but he was also asked to do something that was extraordinary for his ability at the time. It's nonsensical to blame him for the game, when players messed up on routine plays that would have caused a victory.

Shame on anyone who still "blames" Scott Norwood for missing a 47-yard FG with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Pro kickers make what, 50% of those? It was a coin toss at best.

No doubt :lol: Thankfully, the Bills fans who showed up at Niagara Square when greeting the team after their return from Tampa had more class and intelligence than any loser who has a grudge against Scott for something that wasn't his fault. 47 yards is no gimme, especially on grass and for a kicker not known for a strong leg.

The problem with your logic is that when a RB or QB or WR mess up a play, they have plenty of opportunities to make it up. A kicker does not. Norwood made a FG and two PATs before the 47 yd miss. And besides, it wasn't his fault anyways. I recorded the game and rewatched it. Frank Reich spotted the ball with the laces at about 2:00 instead of straight ahead (12:00). Norwood's kick didn't slice, it faded to the right.

I disagree completely. I totally understand all of the different woulda-coulda-shoulda's with clock management and missed tackles and everything else. But the bottom line is that with a Superbowl Championship on the line, Scott Norwood choked. He was put into a position to make a historic kick for this franchise. Many players have been put into similar situations and have come through. They are sports legends or heroes (viniateri comes to mind), while many others have flubbed away a golden chance at greatness. Norwood is the poster child for failure in my mind. Nothing else in his career matters, he had 1 chance to make history and he blew it. I will never forget the pain of watching that kick and I will always hold him responsible for it. Call me whatever names you want, but this is my honest opinion. I do not hate him. I would not do harm to him and I respect him for his career but I will alway blame him for blowing the Bills best chance at being Superbowl Champions.

That's because you're an idiot.

The fact of the matter is if the rest of the team had played to their potential that day that game would have been an absolute blowout. You switch coaches on the sidelines and that game makes the AFC Championship game look like a closely contested contest.

Scott Norwood missed a kick 18 years ago. Apparently your douchebagness lasts forever. Get over yourself.

Who's to say that the game is over if he made the kick? There were still four seconds on the clock after the kick- New York had to kneel down to end the game (Joe Pisarchik, anyone?). I know the odds are slim to none, but there's always a chance the Giants could have ran the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown.

Stranger things have happened (Wycheck to Dyson)....

I accept Norwood as a man who gave that field goal his best shot and hold no ill will to him- then or now.

If anyone deserves blame for SB XXV it's Jim Kelly. He wanted to be MVP so bad he refused to hand the ball off to Thurman Thomas even though Bellicheat was dropping 8-9 people into pass coverage. Then blame Marv Levy for lacking the gonads to get in Kelly's face and tell him to think of the team first.

I'm sure most of you have forgotten that Thurman was one shoestring tackle away from the winning TD the play before the 47-yard attempt by Norwood.

PTR

He was put into a position to make a historic kick for this franchise.

Actually, he wasn't, which is kind of the point. Given the kind of kicker Norwood was (short range, high accuracy), he shouldn't have been asked to kick a 47-yarder. He missed because he was not put in a position to make it.

The fact of the matter is if the rest of the team had played to their potential that day that game would have been an absolute blowout. You switch coaches on the sidelines and that game makes the AFC Championship game look like a closely contested contest.

Scott Norwood missed a kick 18 years ago. Apparently your douchebagness lasts forever. Get over yourself.

Wow. I wonder if your other 28000 posts are more insightful or if you just enjoy acting like a tough guy.

Actually, he wasn't, which is kind of the point. Given the kind of kicker Norwood was (short range, high accuracy), he shouldn't have been asked to kick a 47-yarder. He missed because he was not put in a position to make it.

We also forget that he missed a 47-yarder wide right -- on turf -- the game prior to that, in the AFC Championship blowout. It was almost a mirror image of the SB kick.

Call me a freak, but the thing I liked the most about Norwood is that he didn't do the now commonplace pansy thing that kickers do when they line up a kick, take two or three steps back, and then two carefully measured steps to the side. He just lined up the kick and backed up on the diagonal. Classy.

Then again, maybe if he had done the pansy thing he would've made that kick. Crap.

don't confuse the classless haters with facts

not to be a grammar nanny, but i think it should be "douchebagEDness". it's first person possessive.

this thread has made me nauseous, because it brings back all the cazy things that happened all those years ago when one of greatest offensive teams in the history of the game showed up a bit flat. my own unbelievedness also lasts a lifetime, it would seem.