Scott Norwood signing autographs

Beerball

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than a coin toss, in Norwood's case. He was a highly accurate kicker, but never had great range. A 47-yarder for him was iffy, at best.

Never held it against him, though. That was the kind of kicker he was, I had no problem with that then, and still don't. Given the kind of kicker he was, it's the offense's fault for not getting him another 7 yards closer.

Absolutely on target. Kelly could have managed the clock a little better and got us closer, but the defense could/should have stopped that damn running game!

So no one has noticed this yet? Sept 20th is the Bills home opener. The stadium lots will be opening about the time he starts signing autographs (private lots usually open earlier). How many people in Buffalo are actually gonna choose getting an autograph over going to the game?

He never made a 47-yarder on grass at the time of the FG try.

On that drive Bills lost a precious 12 seconds when the refs stopped the game to review McKeller's shoestring grab.

..or the time that could've been saved had Levy called a timeout after the stop on 3rd down before said ill-fated drive.

Absolutely no blame to Norwood for missing the kick or refusing to sign super bowl XXV merch. 100% of that blame rests on the shoulders of the defense. Want to blame someone, blame bruce, darryl talley, kelso, etc.

What? Are you insane? He should have just made the damn kick. Its his fault period!

Absolutely no blame to Norwood for missing the kick or refusing to sign super bowl XXV merch. 100% of that blame rests on the shoulders of the defense. Want to blame someone, blame bruce, darryl talley, kelso, etc.

I disagree completely. I totally understand all of the different woulda-coulda-shoulda's with clock management and missed tackles and everything else. But the bottom line is that with a Superbowl Championship on the line, Scott Norwood choked. He was put into a position to make a historic kick for this franchise. Many players have been put into similar situations and have come through. They are sports legends or heroes (viniateri comes to mind), while many others have flubbed away a golden chance at greatness. Norwood is the poster child for failure in my mind. Nothing else in his career matters, he had 1 chance to make history and he blew it. I will never forget the pain of watching that kick and I will always hold him responsible for it. Call me whatever names you want, but this is my honest opinion. I do not hate him. I would not do harm to him and I respect him for his career but I will alway blame him for blowing the Bills best chance at being Superbowl Champions.

I disagree completely. I totally understand all of the different woulda-coulda-shoulda's with clock management and missed tackles and everything else. But the bottom line is that with a Superbowl Championship on the line, Scott Norwood choked. He was put into a position to make a historic kick for this franchise. Many players have been put into similar situations and have come through. They are sports legends or heroes (viniateri comes to mind), while many others have flubbed away a golden chance at greatness. Norwood is the poster child for failure in my mind. Nothing else in his career matters, he had 1 chance to make history and he blew it. I will never forget the pain of watching that kick and I will always hold him responsible for it. Call me whatever names you want, but this is my honest opinion. I do not hate him. I would not do harm to him and I respect him for his career but I will alway blame him for blowing the Bills best chance at being Superbowl Champions.

Using that guideline, you have 3 Hall of Famers that didn't cement their greatness.

Bruce failed to strip Hoss of the ball - 5 point difference

Jimbo underthrew a wide open Lofton - 4 point difference

Thurman - unable to break Everson Walls' tackle - 7 point difference

That's 16 total points that were left on the field by HoF'ers, compared to 3 points by the bum kicker.

Keep blaming the wrong guy if it makes you feel better.

Simple----the kick was at the very edge of his range. He tried to give it a little extra, and just like in golf, sliced it. The offense should have gotten him closer and the defense needed to make some tackles.

How about blaming Walt Corey for failing to run blitz. How about blaming Andre Reed for not making the tough catches. How about blaming Marv Levy and Jim Kelly for waiting too long to exploit the Giants willingness to give up the run in order to stop the pass. How about blaming Kelly for not using intelligent clock management when just 5 more yards would have made a huge difference in the odds of making the kick. How about blaming Talley for whiffing on Magget not once but twice when stopping a first down would have been the difference in the game. How about blaming the players being cocky big-timers thinking they just had to show up, spending the entire Super Bowl week right up to the night before the game, in clubs and strip bars while the Giants focused more on winning the game.

He tried to sign my football, but his pen slid wide and to the right.

All joking aside, how can anyone in their right mind blame Norwood for the loss. Blame the defense for allowing a garbage Giants offense to control the ball for 40 minutes. Remember it was a Jeff Hostetler led offense, not Phil Simms.