Why Bills struggle against 3-4 defenses...

Big Turk

To me, I think the way Edwards plays falls right into the arms of teams running the 3-4 defense....

Short passing games usually struggle against 3-4 defenses because of their extra LB they can put into coverage and their basic schemes, especially when you cannot run the ball up the middle with any authority and have a QB that is afraid to throw the ball more than 5 yards downfield unless a receiver is so open a highschool QB could make the throw...

So until Edwards is ready to actually take some risks and put the ball downfield, we can pretty much forget about winning against 3-4 teams...

It's b/c of the pressure...our line has typically been of the large and plodding variety. It's a mismatch for one of our tackles to block a fast linebacker. Also, the NT's a usually straight up beasts and we all know how much emphasis the Bills have placed on the O-line...but hey we have great depth at DB. Lastly, I think Jauron is just too plain vanilla to run a live 3-4 in practice for the O to practice against.

Basically, it's personnel, scheme, and coaching.

For the last few seasons it's been a combination of not being physical on the offensive line (especially the interior) and at WR plus giving WAY too much respect to the opposition. The BILLS have all but slurped up the Patriots' spit for the last 5 years to the point where it's embarrassing. You don't thank people for kicking your ass and then ask for more.

With the Patriots and Steelers it's been their offense kicking the crap out of our defense so badly early in games that our offense has to become one dimensional to try to get the team back in the game. When that happens it's going to get embarrassing in a hurry, especially when your QB is JP Losman.

I think it's the blitz packages. It's harder for our OL to adjust fast LB's that are usually just as strong as DE's coming at them with a running start from an upright position. Trent also gets flustered and doesn't read the defense properly when the blitz is coming. He never sets his feet and tries to wait until a guy is wide open. That doesn't work in the NFL. You have to throw to an opening where you guy is going to be.

Well.... I'll summarize

1) you have a coaching staff, from top to bottom, that is totally clueless.

2) you have a coach that is spineless and devoid of any competitive spirit.

3) you have a roster full of pussies.

Think of it in these terms...

axe yourself this question... how does today's D personnel compare to the one of 5 years ago?

Pat Williams

Sam Adams

Lawyer Milloy

Troy Vincent

Nate Clements

TKO

London

And... another illustration... except for Rhodes (who is the Bills best RB), none of them are very instictive, hit the hole quickly, nor can they make defenders miss. Travis Henry was the last good back the Bills had. Ain't no back on the Bills that's gonna gain 1400 yds + a season.

Evans is the best player on the team but a lot of fans on this board say he isn't a #1 wr. Well, OK... trade him to the Chargers, Colts, Cowboys, Steelers or Pats and we'll see what you think then.

Well.... I'll summarize

axe yourself this question... how does today's D personnel compare to the one of 5 years ago?

Pat Williams

Sam Adams

Lawyer Milloy

Troy Vincent

Nate Clements

TKO

London

And... another illustration... except for Rhodes (who is the Bills best RB), none of them are very instictive, hit the hole quickly, nor can they make defenders miss. Travis Henry was the last good back the Bills had. Ain't no back on the Bills that's gonna gain 1400 yds + a season.

Evans is the best player on the team but a lot of fans on this board say he isn't a #1 wr. Well, OK... trade him to the Chargers, Colts, Cowboys, Steelers or Pats and we'll see what you think then.

I am not sure how any of that translates as to the specific reason why the Bills have a great record vs 4-3 teams but a horrible one against 3-4 teams...

8 guys in coverage + midget, alligator-armed WR's + a QB who doesn't have a big arm + Centers who get destroyed by big Nose Tackles = bad things

THis and god afwul spineless coaching = end of thread !

Well.... I'll summarize

Pat Williams

Sam Adams

Lawyer Milloy

Troy Vincent

Nate Clements

TKO

London

Wow ... that post leaves me nearly speechless