Maybin holdout

nuklz2594

The guy is 20, does not have a lot of experience, and is holding for top dollar? How much does he will possibly help us this year? I understand he wants to be paid what he feels he is worth, but doesn't common sense kick in at some point? He is and never will be Bruce Smith. Hell, the lbs are bigger than him. Maybe he and Poz or Mitchell need to go at it mano et mano. He is not much bigger than Nick Harris.

OK, the Patron is hitting me, but are you serious?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy is 20, does not have a lot of experience, and is holding for top dollar? How much does he will possibly help us this year? I understand he wants to be paid what he feels he is worth, but doesn't common sense kick in at some point? He is and never will be Bruce Smith. Hell, the lbs are bigger than him. Maybe he and Poz or Mitchell need to go at it mano et mano. He is not much bigger than Nick Harris.

Are we really having this arguement again. Maybin outweighs Schobel by 10-15lbs. Michael Strahan, the guy who holds the single season sack record, played most of his career at 255lbs. Maybin's strength fighting off blocks will be the question.

It's not the agent or Maybin himself. It's the system. If the system allowed any one of us posters to hold out for top dollar from a team or organization that we had no previous affiliation with, you'd be lying and borderline insane if you said you'd sign for lower "just to play". This current system allows for players to hold teams ransom and for agents to take advantage of the said 20 year olds. With a new scaled system, agents will be put in check, players will have no intensive to hold out as rookies, and teams will improve from maximizing the value of their draft pick. However, none of this will happen under the current CBA. The most important aspect of a rookie salary scale is that it increases the value of veterans looking for their 2nd contract. There's a hell of a lot more veterans in the NFLPA than rookies, so they should be able to get this passed next year. Unfortunately, its everything else that will cause the mother of all pro sports lockout/strike.

For us NHL fans, the 2004 lockout is still fresh, however, that's just the tip of the iceberg compared to this next one.

Read "Lords or the Realm." Its about the history of Baseball and labor. All it takes is one Al Davis/Haywood-Bey and it is off to the races. I would want all the money i could make given the circumstances as they are, and teams have little leverage when it comes to the draft picks. It is insane when rookies make more than proven vets. Insane! There needs to be a realistic system in place that makes these guys earn their dime.

It's not the agent or Maybin himself. It's the system. If the system allowed any one of us posters to hold out for top dollar from a team or organization that we had no previous affiliation with, you'd be lying and borderline insane if you said you'd sign for lower "just to play". This current system allows for players to hold teams ransom and for agents to take advantage of the said 20 year olds. With a new scaled system, agents will be put in check, players will have no intensive to hold out as rookies, and teams will improve from maximizing the value of their draft pick. However, none of this will happen under the current CBA. The most important aspect of a rookie salary scale is that it increases the value of veterans looking for their 2nd contract. There's a hell of a lot more veterans in the NFLPA than rookies, so they should be able to get this passed next year. Unfortunately, its everything else that will cause the mother of all pro sports lockout/strike.

For us NHL fans, the 2004 lockout is still fresh, however, that's just the tip of the iceberg compared to this next one.

If players and agents can hold teams hostage, than why have 28 out of 32 first round picks already signed with there respective teams? And if and when Maybin and the Bills come to an agreement, why couldn't this have been hammered out 3-4 weeks ago? I firmly believe that the terms agreed to will be a little better than Moreno's, but nothing out of wack with the other draft picks. Maybin's holdout has been a mystery from the start. I don't think the Bills would lowball him. But I don't think the Bills are drowning in their tears that he is not in camp. I think they view him as a project for the future.

The parameters of Maybin's contract have been established for at least the last few weeks.

The money that counts with the first round contracts is the guaranteed money and the number that counts is the % increase over the 2008 contracts:

The #14-#32 first round picks this year signed for 5-10% increases in guaranteed money over the 2008 contracts

Orakpo at #13 signed for a 12% increase in guaranteed money over the 2008 #13 contract

Moreno at #12 signed for a 13% increase in guaranteed money over the 2008 #12 contract

Raji at #9 signed for an 18% increase in guaranteed money over the 2008 #9 contract

Heywood-Bey at #7 signed for a 20% increase in guaranteed money over the 2008 #7 contract

(If you wonder how how little the first number counts, compare the contracts for the #7 picks -

2008 Sedrick Ellis 5 years, $49 million $19.5M guaranteed

2009 Darrius Heyward-Bey 5 years, $38.25 million $23.5M guaranteed).

All the players picked after Maybin are signed and his contract parameters are set:

(#14-#32) 5-10% increase in guaranteed money over 2008 contracts

(#13) 12% increase in guaranteed money

(#12) 13% increase in guaranteed money

(#11) unsigned - Aaron Maybin

(#10) unsigned - Michael Crabtree

(#9) 18% increase in guaranteed money

(#8) Monroe signed today - no terms disclosed yet

(#7) 20% increase in guaranteed money

Whatever we think of the ridiculous money that unproven first round draft picks receive, the parameters for the #11 pick contract are set: a 14-15% increase in guaranteed money over last year's #11.

A 14% increase would be about $14.25M guaranteed. A 15% increase would be about $14.5M guaranteed. Any less than $14.25 - $14.5M would be a lowball offer. It didn't happen last year and I seriously doubt that it is happening this year. McKelvin was signed and in camp by July 26.

Maybin is a young player. He needs to be in camp if he is going to help the Bills this year. From all accounts, he is good guy. The bottom line is that the only reason for him not to have been signed and in camp is that he has been waiting

to see if the #10 pick could blow up the draft by demanding more money than the #7 pick. It's not going to happen and it shouldn't happen.

Maybin should get the 14-15% increase in guaranteed money that his draft slot is set to receive. If he and his agent are holding out for more, that's not "just business". Moreno, Orakpo and the #12 - #32 picks did not wait for Maybin or Crabtree to sign. Once the contract parameters were set, they signed (multi-million dollar) contracts based on where they were picked and joined their teams.

Crabtree may not sign until September, if he signs at all. Whether he holds out for a month or a year, it doesn't control Maybin. He needs to sign and join the team. Maybin has a reputation as a hard working guy who loves to play football. I

hope that we get to see that guy on the field soon.

Whatever the reasons for the holdout, he has a lot of catching up to do. Among the top picks in the draft, he certainly was one of the guys that really would have benefited from being in camp the entire time.

Oh well. What is done is done. I just hope the kid can contribute and he is worth picking him where we did.

No, Maybin is a baby. He will not play much this year. No conditioning, no reps = wasted season, this guy was already a questionable pick now he's off to a bad start with his teamates and fans. Laurenites the linebacker with Rams is looking pretty good in the game against the Jets.

The parameters of Maybin's contract have been established for at least the last few weeks.

The money that counts with the first round contracts is the guaranteed money and the number that counts is the % increase over the 2008 contracts:

The #14-#32 first round picks this year signed for 5-10% increases in guaranteed money over the 2008 contracts

Orakpo at #13 signed for a 12% increase in guaranteed money over the 2008 #13 contract

Moreno at #12 signed for a 13% increase in guaranteed money over the 2008 #12 contract

Raji at #9 signed for an 18% increase in guaranteed money over the 2008 #9 contract

Heywood-Bey at #7 signed for a 20% increase in guaranteed money over the 2008 #7 contract

(If you wonder how how little the first number counts, compare the contracts for the #7 picks -

2008 Sedrick Ellis 5 years, $49 million $19.5M guaranteed

2009 Darrius Heyward-Bey 5 years, $38.25 million $23.5M guaranteed).

All the players picked after Maybin are signed and his contract parameters are set:

(#14-#32) 5-10% increase in guaranteed money over 2008 contracts

(#13) 12% increase in guaranteed money

(#12) 13% increase in guaranteed money

(#11) unsigned - Aaron Maybin

(#10) unsigned - Michael Crabtree

(#9) 18% increase in guaranteed money

(#8) Monroe signed today - no terms disclosed yet

(#7) 20% increase in guaranteed money

Whatever we think of the ridiculous money that unproven first round draft picks receive, the parameters for the #11 pick contract are set: a 14-15% increase in guaranteed money over last year's #11.

A 14% increase would be about $14.25M guaranteed. A 15% increase would be about $14.5M guaranteed. Any less than $14.25 - $14.5M would be a lowball offer. It didn't happen last year and I seriously doubt that it is happening this year. McKelvin was signed and in camp by July 26.

Maybin is a young player. He needs to be in camp if he is going to help the Bills this year. From all accounts, he is good guy. The bottom line is that the only reason for him not to have been signed and in camp is that he has been waiting

to see if the #10 pick could blow up the draft by demanding more money than the #7 pick. It's not going to happen and it shouldn't happen.

Maybin should get the 14-15% increase in guaranteed money that his draft slot is set to receive. If he and his agent are holding out for more, that's not "just business". Moreno, Orakpo and the #12 - #32 picks did not wait for Maybin or Crabtree to sign. Once the contract parameters were set, they signed (multi-million dollar) contracts based on where they were picked and joined their teams.

Crabtree may not sign until September, if he signs at all. Whether he holds out for a month or a year, it doesn't control Maybin. He needs to sign and join the team. Maybin has a reputation as a hard working guy who loves to play football. I

hope that we get to see that guy on the field soon.

Geez, what do you for relaxation! Advanced Calculus?

Maybin's hold-out is ridiculous. At least Crabtree dominated the college level for 2 years and was regarded by many people as a top 5 pick. Maybin should have been happy to get a little more than Orakpo. If the NFL and the Union can't agree on some kind of pre-determined salary for draft picks, just get rid of the 1st round of the draft and let each team sign one college player... kind of like a free agency 1st round, then start the draft with the 2nd round.