Anyone See The Daily Show Last Night

K-9

Depends on what you mean and how you look at it. These are ballpark figures but the Daily Show will get maybe 1.5 million viewers a night, but it's on 4 nights a week, shown 2-3 times a day, and for 42 or so weeks a year. South Park might get 3 million for a new episode but they only make about 14-15 a year total. I would imagine it costs a lot more to make South Park, too.

As a pure money maker I would think Daily Show makes a lot more money now than South Park for the network (which is what we were talking about because Wacko asked why Stewart wasn't fired).

Now, reruns are a different story and it's hard to know who owns most of the rights (money) to the show and how much the producers versus Comedy Central get for the distribution rights. Parker and Stone themselves are making a killing right now and have been for a decade.

I don't think it actually costs them much to make South Park. I remember an interview with Matt where they talked about how fast they were able to make episodes (sometimes 2 to 3 weeks) and he said something to the effect of: It's not like it's a costly show or we waste money on animation. The 2 of them probably do 70% of the voices.

Anyone who doesn't think the Daily Show is consistently funny is probably a partisan douchebag who can't face reality. I haven't had time to watch it much lately but it was ridiculously funny during the entire campaign year.

I don't think it actually costs them much to make South Park. I remember an interview with Matt where they talked about how fast they were able to make episodes (sometimes 2 to 3 weeks) and he said something to the effect of: It's not like it's a costly show or we waste money on animation. The 2 of them probably do 70% of the voices.

Anyone who doesn't think the Daily Show is consistently funny is probably a partisan douchebag who can't face reality. I haven't had time to watch it much lately but it was ridiculously funny during the entire campaign year.

Neither costs a boatload compared to a lot of shows. Think of how cheap The Daily Show is though. They basically sit at a desk and talk and use a little of other people's video that they edit.

According to wiki, there are about 70 people working on an episode of South Park. I doubt there are that many on The Daily Show but maybe. The animation on South Park (however great and funny) is extremely simplistic compared to other animation -- BUT -- animation as a whole is a lot more expensive than your average joe would imagine. It would be interesting to know how much it costs to do an episode of South Park. Both shows are great, IMO, though.

On the South Park website a couple years ago, someone asked them how much an episode costs and the answer was "three-fifty." :rolleyes: I think they can make an episode in a week now, which is ridiculously fast. Of course, The Daily show makes them in a day, four days a week, 42 weeks a year.

According to wiki, there are about 70 people working on an episode of South Park. I doubt there are that many on The Daily Show but maybe.

I just checked IMDB for the crew of The Daily Show. There are a HELL of a lot of names there. Few of them worked concurrently, of course (I doubt all 57 producers worked together at the same time), but I'd be shocked if it took much fewer than 70 people to create that show.

On the South Park website a couple years ago, someone asked them how much an episode costs and the answer was "three-fifty." :rolleyes: I think they can make an episode in a week now, which is ridiculously fast. Of course, The Daily show makes them in a day, four days a week, 42 weeks a year.

They can make them faster than that. I remember way back in 2000 during the Elion Gonzalaz fiasco, they put out a relevant episode (Quintuplets) within a day or two or three after the home invasion by the government

I just checked IMDB for the crew of The Daily Show. There are a HELL of a lot of names there. Few of them worked concurrently, of course (I doubt all 57 producers worked together at the same time), but I'd be shocked if it took much fewer than 70 people to create that show.

You may be right. I just looked at it, too. (Of course it included those working on 1000+ episodes). I know they have at least ten writers, some of those will get producer credits. There are probably 10 producers total on each episode counting segment producers. Five or so performers. 10-15 crew. It all adds up. There would also be a shitload of assistants and PAs and interns running around. I doubt those were included in the 70 number for South Park but it's possible.

They can make them faster than that. I remember way back in 2000 during the Elion Gonzalaz fiasco, they put out a relevant episode (Quintuplets) within a day or two or three after the home invasion by the government

Definitely. A few isolated episodes were made in a day or two. I am just amazed that they can make regular episodes in a week on a consistent basis.

Definitely. A few isolated episodes were made in a day or two. I am just amazed that they can make regular episodes in a week on a consistent basis.

I wonder how they sift through so many channels a day to find clips to use on that nights show. It's impressive.

I think this moment calls for a....

Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya

Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya

Oh lord, kumbaya

Someones singing lord, kumbaya

Oh lord, kumbayah

Someones laughing, lord, kumbaya

Oh lord, kumbaya

Someones crying, lord, kumbaya

Oh lord, kumbaya

Someones praying, lord, kumbaya

Oh lord, kumbaya

Someones sleeping, lord, kumbaya

Oh lord, kumbaya

Oh lord, kumbaya

Kum-Obama my lord, Kum-Obama

Oh lord, Kum-Obama

Someones singing lord, Kum-Obama

Oh lord, Kum-Obamah

Someones laughing, lord, Kum-Obama

Oh lord, Kum-Obama

Someones crying, lord, Kum-Obama

Oh lord, Kum-Obama

Someones praying, lord, Kum-Obama

Oh lord, Kum-Obama

Someones sleeping, lord, Kum-Obama

Oh lord, Kum-Obama

Oh lord, Kum-Obama

Corrected

I don't get why people that aren't far left liberals would find that douchebag even funny. I thought he stopped being funny about two years ago. That was before he became another one of Obama's little bitches. Letterman is another far left B word who stopped being funny when becoming partisan was more important than the jokes. Yes, Glen Beck is a freaking big clown. But so is Ed "Townhallers want to shoot the President" Shultz, Chris "All whites are racist" Mathews and Keith "I heart Obama and hate women" Olberman. Yet they are not worthy of slamming? Yeah, ok. Plus, that douchy Stewart stare into the camera is about as old and crusty as Arlen Spector.

I don't get why people that aren't far left liberals would find that douchebag even funny. I thought he stopped being funny about two years ago. That was before he became another one of Obama's little bitches. Letterman is another far left B word who stopped being funny when becoming partisan was more important than the jokes. Yes, Glen Beck is a freaking big clown. But so is Ed "Townhallers want to shoot the President" Shultz, Chris "All whites are racist" Mathews and Keith "I heart Obama and hate women" Olberman. Yet they are not worthy of slamming? Yeah, ok. Plus, that douchy Stewart stare into the camera is about as old and crusty as Arlen Spector.

Where do you get off calling anyone else partisan?

I don't get why people that aren't far left liberals would find that douchebag even funny.

How about because you don't have to be a "far left liberal" to understand just how !@#$ed up the Republican party is. You just have to be able to see reality.

I don't watch the Daily Show every day. I watch it once in awhile. Whenever I've watched it, I've found it to be pretty funny. Some of it fails but most of it doesn't. If you don't find it funny, it says a lot more about you than it does about the show.

How about because you don't have to be a "far left liberal" to understand just how !@#$ed up the Republican party is. You just have to be able to see reality.

I don't watch the Daily Show every day. I watch it once in awhile. Whenever I've watched it, I've found it to be pretty funny. Some of it fails but most of it doesn't. If you don't find it funny, it says a lot more about you than it does about the show.

It looks like his target is mainly focused on the everyday Americans who have valid fears of the massive debt a national government healthcare system would bring. Instead of poking fun at the liberal politicians who are bold face lying about the costs, he's mocking the Americans who are fed up with the bullsh__. Maybe that's funny to you, but not to me.

I think both parties are f'd up and the vast majority of them should be through out by the ears. At the very least, there should be term limits for congress. In the end, you're not a very funny political satirist if you can't find anything funny about the flakes over at MSNBC. He's become a very liberal douche in my book.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone might disagree with that statement

On a per-show basis, it's not even close. I'm sure The Daily Show makes FAR more money than South Park. The production costs are minimal on TDS compared to SP. Take the total number of episodes a year, and it is overwhelming. I'm certain the CPP (amount the network charges per rating point) is higher for TDS, too.

Now, SP can make some of that up in merchandise and DVD box sets, etc. But how much depends on the nature of the deal with Stone and Parker.

On the South Park website a couple years ago, someone asked them how much an episode costs and the answer was "three-fifty." :blink:

It always comes back to 3.5, doesn't it?

That monster looked at me and said 'I need about tree-fiddy'

Colbert is another liberal asshat like Stewart. I commend him for going to visit the troops and shaving his head, but it is obvious he is another liberal making fun of the right.

I caught the daily show a bit when Craig Kilborn was on it, but when Stewart started, I caught a few, saw he was unfunny and haven't watched it since. South Park is a lot funnier.

Stewart makes fun of the left its just that the right has been in power for so long (they were in charge for 8 out of the 10 years Stewart has been on) that they provide more material. Even Rush Limbaugh likes Stewart a little.