Peters first game as an Eagle

The Mets -- what a tough year. It puts the lie to what I say above about injuries in baseball!! The whole Bernazard thing was awesome theater, however. How often do you get a VP challenging double A players in Binghamton to fights? It is good that the Bisons are now affiliated with the Mets. That'll be good over the long term, because they do spend money. The Mets' talent pool in their minor league system sucks at present, but it'll get better.

And I apologize to everyone for hijacking this thread!

OK, now can we get back to bashing Jason Peters?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of fans on a message board happen to mention they think Peters might not be good? The source wasn't in any way representative of the fan base. I could just as easily say Owens is injury prone and someone could cite it as Bills fans think this is really the case.

Everytime a fan on this board tries to make a football point that could be controversial, immediately someone charges them with never having played or coached in the NFL and therefore unqualified. Shudder the thought if I challenged the source.

I'll say this, and it is a football point: Left Tackle's aren't normally brawler types like RT's should be. Their primary job is to pass block and keep the QB clean on passing downs. Peters wasn't great last night, but if we're not supposed to draw conclusions from one preseason game, why in the heck can someone cite an Eagles message board after the first game and say Eagles fans are saying he's not good.

But, real fans have to have it both ways. If Levitre or Wood make a couple mistakes, then it is "only the first preseason game, hater" and they will be fine. If it is Jason Peters in his first few snaps in a different system, then "look, he totally sucks and he's only going to get worse" followed by plenty of tugging and pulling on how superior our FO really is. :blink:

But, real fans have to have it both ways. If Levitre or Wood make a couple mistakes, then it is "only the first preseason game, hater" and they will be fine. If it is Jason Peters in his first few snaps in a different system, then "look, he totally sucks and he's only going to get worse" followed by plenty of tugging and pulling on how superior our FO really is. :P

Says one of the guys who just looks to bash the FO on every move they make. :blink:

But, real fans have to have it both ways. If Levitre or Wood make a couple mistakes, then it is "only the first preseason game, hater" and they will be fine. If it is Jason Peters in his first few snaps in a different system, then "look, he totally sucks and he's only going to get worse" followed by plenty of tugging and pulling on how superior our FO really is. :blink:

Rookies getting their first NFL game experience are expected to make mistakes. Supposed "pro-bowl" "top 3 LT in the league" players shouldn't make those mistakes.

I'm surprised a "realist" like yourself can't comprehend this difference.

those kids are rookies seeing their first action at a whole new level.

Peters is a Pro-bowl (lol) veteran.

Since we're comparing, how many sacks did Walker give up last week?

Rookies getting their first NFL game experience are expected to make mistakes. Supposed "pro-bowl" "top 3 LT in the league" players shouldn't make those mistakes.

I'm surprised a "realist" like yourself can't comprehend this difference.

If this were half way through the season, you'd have a great point. I would expect rookies to still be making some mistakes and the All-Pro to have things well in hand.

But, we're not exactly there yet, are we? So, taking a mistake or two from the first couple of snaps, in either case, and extrapolating from it is moronic.

I am not going to tout the front office on this but

- Isn't Jason Peters supposed to be one of the best LT's in the NFL? I thought I had read that somewhere

- Talent overcomes scheme.

- Peters has been pretty vocal about Buffalo talking about how we run these soft camps then he turns around and gives up sacks immediately in the first pre season game......he deserves to get bashed a little bit.

Unless it improves our draft picks (which I dont think it does) I dont care how he plays for the Eagles.....BUT......if he was this great player you would think he would have really not wanted to give up a sack like that in the few snaps he got......where is the heart?

I am liking the Wood pick more and more by the day

I dunno if you saw it but I did. He definetly gave up 2. They may have credited one to the guard but it was Peters'. The first time it looked like Peters thought he had help outside, gave the guy a shove and let him go. The guy then chased down McNabb. Pretty poor effort by Peters IMO, he's lucky McNabb stepped up into traffic or Banta-Cain would have buried him with a clean shot. As it was Banta-Cain had to go around another guy and it slowed him down.. The second one Peters and the guard screwed up a stunt. Peters committed too early to the far outside man who then stopped rushing and a guy looped in between them. They may have given that to the guard, but it was Peters' error.

Saw that many times last year.

Also saw Peters take himself out of the game and head right for the oxygen mask. Has to be over 400lbs.

Yup---he's a "Pro Bowler" all right.

How do you guys know? Here in Rochester all we have is the Pitt Ariz game.

Meanwhile, both teams kept their starters in for 2 series (take note Dick), and Limas Sweed is tearing it up.

give me a freaking break are you really bitching about 5 or 6 more plays,WTF.

with our young line gaining valuable expirance do you think its wise to expose trent while they take their lumps early on in the pre season (ie livitire getting rag dolled right into trent on the interception).

if trent were to get hurt everybody would be calling for DJ's head.

i think DJ is doing the right thing and you need to "take note".

i believe they will play more the last 2 games when our line has a little more expirance.

Peters will likely have a decent season for the Eagles, but he's still Jason Peters. He's going to be overweight, not bright and unfocused. He has to have someone babysitting 24/7 to make sure he does what he is supposed to do. My guess is that it won't be long before Reid has someone performing this role.

I'm glad to see the superior conditioning has worked to prevent injuries for the Eagles like he said though...waaaaaiiit a second...

I am not going to tout the front office on this but

- Isn't Jason Peters supposed to be one of the best LT's in the NFL? I thought I had read that somewhere

- Talent overcomes scheme.

- Peters has been pretty vocal about Buffalo talking about how we run these soft camps then he turns around and gives up sacks immediately in the first pre season game......he deserves to get bashed a little bit.

Unless it improves our draft picks (which I dont think it does) I dont care how he plays for the Eagles.....BUT......if he was this great player you would think he would have really not wanted to give up a sack like that in the few snaps he got......where is the heart?

I am liking the Wood pick more and more by the day

I never said he doesn't deserve a little crap flung his way. Heck, I'm sure his new coaches will explain to him that giving up sacks isn't what they want or expect out of him. If he wants to be the best, he's going to have to work his ass off. Still, being the best does not mean he's going to be perfect or that perfection should be the objective standard against which he should be judged.

At any rate, my comment is about the hypocrisy, not the player Jason Peters. The hypocrisy is to assume that the Bills rookies will work out all their rookie mistakes in pre-season and never get beat or make a serious mistake once the regular season is here while out of the other side of the mouth saying Jason Peters got beat on a couple of pre-season plays so that proves he is a bust and that the front office is above criticism. I get it that Wood and Levitre are Bills and we all hope they do well. I also get it that some people are ticked off at Peters. It doesn't make the above hypocrisy "more real".

but....but ...but...but...that stat doesn't even count! :rolleyes:

Here is a good paraphrased Peters quote that seems appropriate.

"I play well for all the other plays and I got beat twice by a guy, oh, two guys, but they get paid too!"

He will get better as the season goes on I'm sure...but...for now...

:thumbsup: Very funny reply - good job!

Now even though I was on Peters' side from the beginning and still believe the Bills should have paid him, this is the kind of debate that makes logical sense! Mock the guy for every sack he is guilty of. But please don't revel in any injury he might suffer from this season.

:thumbsup: Very funny reply - good job!

Now even though I was on Peters' side from the beginning and still believe the Bills should have paid him, this is the kind of debate that makes logical sense! Mock the guy for every sack he is guilty of. But please don't revel in any injury he might suffer from this season.

Except maybe the quad strain he got on day one of camp, running from his bedroom to the breakfast table. :wallbash:

Overheard on a Philly fan board after Peters' miserable performance against NE*....

"Way to show up in great shape and dominate, dude. You may not have heard, but fans in this town ... they're a little short with guys with big contracts who don't seem to have it together on the field."

Clearly a big kudos to the Bills front office for unloading this high-priced bum on the Eagles, and coming away from the deal with Eric Wood.

I never said he doesn't deserve a little crap flung his way. Heck, I'm sure his new coaches will explain to him that giving up sacks isn't what they want or expect out of him. If he wants to be the best, he's going to have to work his ass off. Still, being the best does not mean he's going to be perfect or that perfection should be the objective standard against which he should be judged.

Wait, when he was here, no one told him this? That's all we had to do--say "we do NOT want (n)or expect you to give up sacks."?

I sure hope "Coach Kugler" is reading TSW today!

You again? Does it bother you that out of the 10k+ posters on this board, you are the dumbest one?

besides your mouth's desire to service a fat borderline retard of a turnstile at LT, do you actually have anything to contribute to this?

I called Peter's low motivation and inconsistent play over a year ago, and just like when i called JP sucking the bag. plenty of nut scrubbers like yourself tried to get glory taking me on, but just ended up at the glory hole. enjoy your sausage.

I dunno if you saw it but I did. He definetly gave up 2. They may have credited one to the guard but it was Peters'. The first time it looked like Peters thought he had help outside, gave the guy a shove and let him go. The guy then chased down McNabb. Pretty poor effort by Peters IMO, he's lucky McNabb stepped up into traffic or Banta-Cain would have buried him with a clean shot. As it was Banta-Cain had to go around another guy and it slowed him down.. The second one Peters and the guard screwed up a stunt. Peters committed too early to the far outside man who then stopped rushing and a guy looped in between them. They may have given that to the guard, but it was Peters' error.

I didn't see the game, but it sounds like both of those are exactly the kind of errors a guy getting used to a new system makes in his first pre-season game.

Way too early to even begin to judge.

But these guys did. Here is a ranking of the top 20 NFL LTs from RealScouts on the Sporting News.

"1. Ryan Clady, Broncos.

"2. Walter Jones, Seahawks.

"3. Jason Peters, Eagles. Peters got some bad advice on his contract issues last year in Buffalo. As a result, he missed a lot of practice time and it showed in his play. Now that he has a long-term deal in Philly, all that is behind him and he can focus on returning to the form that made him one of the top young linemen in the league."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...awash-potential

Most of the people who hate him and doubt him are in Buffalo. Wonder why that is?

All partisanship aside, I have to say that reading that write-up on Peters tells me nothing for certain about his future. It says that he

a. followed bad advice, either because he was not bright enough to know it was bad, or because he agreed with it;

b. did not prepare on his own while holding out; and

c. needs to re-discover his focus.

The author appears to believe that he can do that, but I for one am not so sure that one can simply turn a switch like that on and off, especially if his own judgment is suspect. It is at least as likely that he will cash his fat paychecks and settle back.

He may indeed rediscover his pro bowl form, but that is far from assured.

I didn't see the game, but it sounds like both of those are exactly the kind of errors a guy getting used to a new system makes in his first pre-season game.

Way too early to even begin to judge.

But these guys did. Here is a ranking of the top 20 NFL LTs from RealScouts on the Sporting News.

"1. Ryan Clady, Broncos.

"2. Walter Jones, Seahawks.

"3. Jason Peters, Eagles. Peters got some bad advice on his contract issues last year in Buffalo. As a result, he missed a lot of practice time and it showed in his play. Now that he has a long-term deal in Philly, all that is behind him and he can focus on returning to the form that made him one of the top young linemen in the league."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...awash-potential

Most of the people who hate him and doubt him are in Buffalo. Wonder why that is?