Ever been in the doctor's office waiting room....?

Heels20X6

So I went in to the doctor's office today for a routine check up and as I'm waiting in the aptly-named waiting room, a car decides to drive THROUGH THE WALL into the room!!!

I was seated right in the corner of the wall adjacent to it so fortunately, it missed me by a couple of feet. Unfortunately, a man and his 8 year old son were sitting along the wall. The son was okay as he was sitting on the edge of his chair and got thrown a few feet but landed okay but his dad took some of the impact right in his back. He wasn't seriously hurt according to the paramedics but he did injure his shoulder and lower back.

The driver was an elderly woman in her 70s (possibly 80s) who (FORTUNATELY) just missed a pedestrian crossing to get into the office. The pedestrian was pretty shaken as he would have been crushed. To illustrate the impact, the car absolutely mangled a shopping cart into and thru the wall. Thank God no one was seriously hurt.

I'd have to put "Seeing car go thru wall into doc's office" as #1 on my "WTF List"...

happens to me all the time....

damn that is pretty weird stuff....lemme guess, the old lady hit the gas instead of the brake.....

So I went in to the doctor's office today for a routine check up and as I'm waiting in the aptly-named waiting room, a car decides to drive THROUGH THE WALL into the room!!!

I was seated right in the corner of the wall adjacent to it so fortunately, it missed me by a couple of feet. Unfortunately, a man and his 8 year old son were sitting along the wall. The son was okay as he was sitting on the edge of his chair and got thrown a few feet but landed okay but his dad took some of the impact right in his back. He wasn't seriously hurt according to the paramedics but he did injure his shoulder and lower back.

The driver was an elderly woman in her 70s (possibly 80s) who (FORTUNATELY) just missed a pedestrian crossing to get into the office. The pedestrian was pretty shaken as he would have been crushed. To illustrate the impact, the car absolutely mangled a shopping cart into and thru the wall. Thank God no one was seriously hurt.

I'd have to put "Seeing car go thru wall into doc's office" as #1 on my "WTF List"...

HOLY CRAP! Glad everybody was OK.....this is why after the age of 65 everyone should have to retake the Driving Test and then again every 3-5 years afterward.

HOLY CRAP! Glad everybody was OK.....this is why after the age of 65 everyone should have to retake the Driving Test and then again every 3-5 years afterward.

that doesnt do crap. old, cautious drivers will pass a road test. my 87 year old grandfather just did.

what they should have, is a specialized reflex/read-react test.

any slow, careful driver can pass a road test. heck, thousands of dumbass 16 year olds do it every year.

that doesnt do crap. old, cautious drivers will pass a road test. my 87 year old grandfather just did.

what they should have, is a specialized reflex/read-react test.

any slow, careful driver can pass a road test. heck, thousands of dumbass 16 year olds do it every year.

Maybe you are right, but for the record I'm def. against 16 year old kids getting to drive too.....

I agree with you 100%, driving tests don't prove anything. I think after 65, if you wish to keep you driver's license, you need to have a combination reflex/react and vision tests. My co-worker was telling me today that his grandmother still drives at 88 and is practically blind.

The gentleman who narrowly missed getting crushed said the woman turned the corner and just cranked the gas....I'm guessing the same thing, she missed the brake pedal, panicked and slammed on the gas....again...lucky no one got seriously hurt but someone very well could have.

I think everyone, regardless of age, should be re-tested every time your license comes up for renewal. NY gives you 8 years before renewing, and there's several laws/rules on the books that weren't there back when I got my first license about 20 years ago.

Nah, can't say that's ever happened to me. If that's gonna happen to you the two best places are a hospital or a doctors office.

Did you leave a stain on the drivers seat on the way home? I would've and it would've stunk real bad.

I'm assuming the old bag has her license taken away. Just a hunch.

When the shock wears off you've got a great conversation starter.

I'm assuming your appointment was canceled.

I suppose the Dr. used that as a lame excuse for running behind and keeping you waiting? The lengths those folks go to.

Wow - how lucky that nobody was seriously killed or injured. Same type of thing occured in my in-laws subdivision several years ago. Kid (new driver) was backing out of the garage - for some reason panicked - jit the gas bounced the curb across the street and ended up in the living room of a house. Nobody was hurt.

I suppose the Dr. used that as a lame excuse for running behind and keeping you waiting? The lengths those folks go to.

I'm just shocked you didn't make a crack about the Canadian health care system....

:huh:

Years ago I went home to BFLO (S. Cheektowaga) and I was sitting wacthing TV in the front living room around 01:00... All of a sudden I hear a screetch going around the corner where our house is... The next thing I see is a car smashing into a neighbor's house four houses down past the curve... Then I see about 3 guys jump out of the car and run for the fields behind the house... A few seconds later, the Cheektowaga police (they were chasing them) came to give pursuit on foot... I am like WTF? Nothing on TV can match this. Nobody was hurt except the house and they barely missed the gas meter! Obviusly the perps didn't know where they were... Since they turned down our street (and another) that only has one way in and one way out back on to a main road! :lol::lol:

We give licenses to people with a minimal of training and testing. It is absurd. IMO, you should have to pass a comprehensive driving test to get a license. Something along the lines of getting a pilot's license, but slightly less intense, and much less costly. You should have to repeat some, or all, of that test every time you renew your license (which as noted could be an 8-10 year period).

You should be able to successfully complete an obstacle course, demonstrate skid control, show good judgment and maneuverability in unexpected situations, etc. At the minimum, comprehensive eye and reaction tests should be given regularly.

We give a license to every idiot that can drive a few blocks and, maybe, parallel park once. We do a similar thing with guns. We are a country of idiots.

We give licenses to people with a minimal of training and testing. It is absurd. IMO, you should have to pass a comprehensive driving test to get a license. Something along the lines of getting a pilot's license, but slightly less intense, and much less costly. You should have to repeat some, or all, of that test every time you renew your license (which as noted could be an 8-10 year period).

You should be able to successfully complete an obstacle course, demonstrate skid control, show good judgment and maneuverability in unexpected situations, etc. At the minimum, comprehensive eye and reaction tests should be given regularly.

We give a license to every idiot that can drive a few blocks and, maybe, parallel park once. We do a similar thing with guns. We are a country of idiots.

It is even worse on a boat! Nothing is required.

:lol::lol:

I always say that somebody wouldn't dream about jumping in a car and driving US 20 across country to Oregon without a map, minimal money, gas, supplies, and most importantly any idea on how to operate the vehicle... Yet, they would do basically the same thing after buying a boat and venture out into the middle of Lake Michigan (where the lake is bigger than the horizon).

Oh, wait maybe you guys would do that for Lana! :lol:

It is even worse on a boat! Nothing is required.

:lol::lol:

I always say that somebody wouldn't dream about jumping in a car and driving US 20 across country to Oregon without a map, minimal money, gas, supplies, and most importantly any idea on how to operate the vehicle... Yet, they would do basically the same thing after buying a boat and venture out into the middle of Lake Michigan (where the lake is bigger than the horizon).

Oh, wait maybe you guys would do that for Lana! :lol:

I think if you want to drive on a private lot, with no training, knock yourself out. You want to shoot on a private range with no training, go crazy. Feel like boating on a private lake, drink a 40 and go kill yourself. I respect every adult's right to be as reckless as they wish, if they are only endangering themselves.

I just have an issue when these things are operated by bozos in public, when they can hurt other people.

Full disclosure: I was taking my parents' car to go to the store to get beer and pot when I was 13-14 years old.

I think if you want to drive on a private lot, with no training, knock yourself out. You want to shoot on a private range with no training, go crazy. Feel like boating on a private lake, drink a 40 and go kill yourself. I respect every adult's right to be as reckless as they wish, if they are only endangering themselves.

I just have an issue when these things are operated by bozos in public, when they can hurt other people.

Full disclosure: I was taking my parents' car to go to the store to get beer and pot when I was 13-14 years old.

Where the hell did you live?