Jairus Byrd's Injury...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did he hurt and how? WTF is going on?

Second-round pick had surgery for sports hernia two weeks ago.

Byrd did visit team headquarters in Orchard Park after minicamp. It was decided by the team to take care of his hernia before training camp rather than have the injury potentially linger into the season.

Obviously it was something that happened in college or at least not related to practicing with the team. He told the Bills about it, and they convinced him to bite the bullet now...

Thanks John, i'll be looking for it. Seems strange they said he has a "non football" injury but didn't disclose what it was or how it happened.

I'm pretty sure that it would be classified as a non-football injury even if it happened during OTAs, as long as it happened before he signed his contract and was officially a member of the team.

Correct 4 to 8 weeks to heal. My guess is between missed OTA's and missed camp he has cost himself a chance to start.

You think he had a hernia on purpose? It's not his fault Oregon's schedule prohibited him from participating in OTA's either.

I thought I read it was a sports hernia.

I hope not.

We all remember how that impacted Sammie Morris' career, and it zapped CIN '04 #1 pick, rb Chris Perry for 2 years, then he came back and got his ankle shattered. He's out of the NFL now, a sad fate for a player that was so durable in his college days at Michigan.

You think he had a hernia on purpose? It's not his fault Oregon's schedule prohibited him from participating in OTA's either.

I was not pointing to fault - just saying the missed time probably puts him in a situation where a starting role is going to be out of reach. Remember this is also a position change for him.

This is Ashton Youboty all over again. We'll get production out of Byrd in three years. :lol:

this is nothing like Youboty...we haven't gotten production out of Ashton yet :w00t:

It is a setback, but at least now that he is under contract they can at least teach him the mental side of the game and get him as prepared as possible to take the field. We don't need him to start this year, we're in no major crunch for defensive backs.

Correct 4 to 8 weeks to heal. My guess is between missed OTA's and missed camp he has cost himself a chance to start.
Thanks for the links roughing...That sucks about Jairus though, I really think he's going to be a big help this season.

I think you can pretty much count him out as being much of a factor this year now. He's going to miss all of TC and the first 3-4 games of the season. For a rookie, that pretty much X's the guy out of any meaningful playing time. ST's? Maybe, but much more than that? No.

I hope not.

We all remember how that impacted Sammie Morris' career, and it zapped CIN '04 #1 pick, rb Chris Perry for 2 years, then he came back and got his ankle shattered. He's out of the NFL now, a sad fate for a player that was so durable in his college days at Michigan.

I think the silver lining here is that he hasn't tried to play through it, but rather opted for the surgery in the beginning, so hopefully it will completely heal and make him a factor in the later part of this year.

I think you can pretty much count him out as being much of a factor this year now. He's going to miss all of TC and the first 3-4 games of the season. For a rookie, that pretty much X's the guy out of any meaningful playing time. ST's? Maybe, but much more than that? No.

He's not going to miss that much time. the timeframe was 4-8 weeks, but the surgery took place 2 weeks ago so that puts him at a minimum of 2 more weeks of healing and at the most 6 which would make him only miss the first game. So lets look at worst case scenario and he can't play til Week 2, or even worse week 3. It was highly unlikely he was going to beat out Whitner for the starting FS role anyways. So he sees a little bit of playtime late in the third game and sees an increased role each week as he starts getting his feet wet. I would say be the Cleveland game he could be a regular in the rotation.

Just saw his interview on bb.com. What's with all the secrecy? John, I'm definitely anxious to read your article.

Surely you jest. This is the Bills we're talking about, after all ...

This is Ashton Youboty all over again. We'll get production out of Byrd in three years. :w00t:

:w00t: Wow you're good. One injury and you can discern his whole career. :lol:

I think the silver lining here is that he hasn't tried to play through it, but rather opted for the surgery in the beginning, so hopefully it will completely heal and make him a factor in the later part of this year.

What he said. :w00t: